Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Can anyone point me in the right direction about Mac's black leather jacket? Not his biker one, just the regular one he wears through most of the forth season. I know it's a biker jacket too, but it seems more basic and I'm wondering if it was either custom made, or if it's even made of leather.

I'm curious because I would like to see if I could find one like it, but can't find it online... and I've searched high and low on it for hours. headbutt.gif Any help would be hot.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 30 November 2012 - 01:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Jacket:  Brown bomber

that's not really anything like the MacGyver jacket is it?

user posted image

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 3 December 2012 - 02:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Thanks for doing this thread for me KiwiTek! :3

It is a hard style to find, for some odd reason. You'd think it wouldn't be though. I did a little research and this is what I found out about the jacket (based on biker jacket websites).

1. It's considered a "naked" jacket because it has very little, to no detailing. No buckles or studs.
2. The style is considered a "classic" or "traditional" biker style.
3. The zipper is known as a "zip out". There's actually another term, but I can't currently find it. I'll update once I do.
4. The laces are just known as "side laces".

That's about all I can think of. Anyone can add more details if they'd like. happy.gif I'll add more as I find out more.

Off to work I go! teehee

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 28 January 2013 - 06:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

Hello Everyone! it's been quite awhile since I posted.

I have the answer to this question, as I own one of these jackets and while it's not a screen used jacket it was one of the extra jackets that the production company did not purchase for MacGyver.

A little history -

While in high school I was a rabid fan of MacGyver and wanted to copy his clothing style, so much so that I called the production office in Vancouver BC and spoke with the head costuming guy to find out where they got certain articles of clothing. He told me that this particular leather jacket was custom made for the show by a company in L.A. called Leathers & Treasures. I then called Leathers & Treasures and confirmed that they indeed did make these jackets and that they had a few left that weren't purchased for RDA, his stand-in and his stunt double.

I immediately purchased one and let me tell you, I wore the hell out of it. I still have it along with the original receipt that states it's a MacGyver leather jacket. I'll see if I can't get some pictures posted of the jacket and the receipt. It cost me around $500.00. If I could go back in time I'd have never worn it, just hanged it in a closet and kept it in mint condition.

Speaking of pictures, I wore my jacket in a couple of my senior portfiolio pictures.

* On a side note I also own the same type of North Face brand big blue winter jacket Mac wore on several episodes including "Mask of the Wolf".

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 28 January 2013 - 06:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I just called Leathers & Treasures (Mon. 01/28/13 at 7:50pm MST). They were closed so I left a message for them to call me back and let me know if they still make this particular jacket. I'll post again when I learn more.

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 29 January 2013 - 04:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I wasn't able to find the leather jacket in any of my closets, I must have taken over to my storage unit, which I'll be stopping by on my way home from work. In the meantime, here is a photo of the receipt, which I've kept as part of my MacGyver collection.

As a side note, I have confirmed that Leathers & Treasures does still exist. The area code has changed from 213 to 323. You'll notice the name Dennis on the receipt. When I called and left a message the recording is Dennis. Having said all this, hopefully he'll remember these jackets and will be able to assist us.

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 29 January 2013 - 05:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

OH! Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! happy.gif I had a funny suspicion it was a custom jacket just because its been so hard to find one even remotely similar to it.

I wonder who designed it... whoever it was had a good eye with jackets because I love the look of it.

Thanks for all the info and calling them! That's incredibly awesome! biggrin.gif

I'm totally geeking at the moment... *cough*

If I ever get one, I'm totally wearing it! It'll be my Mac-jacket! biggrin.gif

But it's great that we at least know where it came from, even if they don't make them or they don't have any... it's just nice to have the answer to the question.

*internet high five!* happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 29 January 2013 - 10:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I FOUND IT! It was in my storage unit!

The first photo is of the front (unzipped). The second is of the lower back showing the laces. The third photo is of one of the zippered cuffs. As of the time of this posting I have yet to hear back from Leathers & Treasures. I'll stay on top of it and pass on whatever I find out.

In the photo posted by KiwiTek, on 11/30/12, it appears that the chest flaps of Mac's jacket were pinned, snapped or otherwise secured to the body of the jacket. I left mine the way they came. The collar of Mac's jacket retained a pinched or rolled look. I tried to do that to mine, but it wouldn't stay that way, therefore my collar flaps lay flat.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 29 January 2013 - 11:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

*edit* Read before posting, stupid.

That jacket does not look like you wore it a lot! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this information!

I still prefer the brown bomber jackets, but this one is coming up pretty close behind them!

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 7 February 2013 - 11:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Well, I wish I had better news. I just got off the phone with Dennis, the owner of Leathers & Treasures. He no longer sells retail, and no longer manufactures leather goods. He now manufactures and sells jewelry and leather accessories wholesale.

When asked if he could make any more MacGyver jackets, he said that because he is a one-man operation he doesn't even have time to try to restore the jacket I own, if I were to mail it to him, let alone make a new jacket from scratch. On top of that, the cost of making a MacGyver jacket is rather high, given all the costs involved.

For one jacket, Dennis estimated it would take:

- 45 square feet of leather at a cost of at least $4.00 a foot ($180.00 minimum)
- $150.00 to make the pattern
- $300.00 to physically make the jacket (cut, sew, install zippers, etc.)
- and he'd have to sell it for around $900.00 in order to make a decent
profit

Of course, the cost of the jackets would decrease if a large number were to be ordered, but I think it'd have to be a good sized order.

I'm going to take my jacket to a local leather restorer and see if they can't restore it to how it looked when I first bought it . . . and then never wear it again, only hang it up and display it, which I should have done all along, eh?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 7 February 2013 - 01:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

To be dead honest, I would have worn it... maybe slept in it too. *cough* In any case, might as well get your money's worth out of it right? MacGyver's stuff was always well used anyway. wink.gif Any minor damage would just give it character, just like Mac's jacket and Jeep had character.

Any of my collectables I usually take out of the box and display it. Decreases the value, I know... but, I don't plan to resell my stuff.

But the info is much appreciated. I'm sure there are places that are willing to custom make a duplicate jacket if you can find the right place. Time to start a "Mac Jacket" fund! My only worry would be if they did a good job on the replica.

Can something like that be pitched to a company like say... Wilson's Leather? They make pretty good jackets. I have two leather jackets from them that I just love.

Anyway, thanks again for doing all that work for us! It is so appreciated! I'd give you a high five, but it's the internet so... *internet high five!*

XD

It does suck that he doesn't make them anymore, but we know where it came from and it answers my question... so I can live with that. happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 7 February 2013 - 02:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Funny you mention you would have slept in the jacket, 'cause that's exactly what I did shortly after I got it. I was spending the weekend at my uncle's farm, it was summer so the nights were warm so a bunch of my cousins and I slept outside (some in tents, some in sleeping bags). I slept on a cot, fully clothed, including my MacGyver jacket. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 26 February 2013 - 04:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Today, before I went to work I picked up my MacGyver "Other Leather Jacket" from a leather restoration store. They did an incredible job of restoring the color, cleaning it, etc. Minus a very small tear in the right cuff and two small rips in the acetate lining just above the left inside pocket that jacket looks brand new. FYI, these tears occurred during the time I wore it, not at the shop. I thought about having the lining replaced but given that it's the original lining, that I don't plan to wear it ever again (aside from maybe putting it on from time to time) and that it would cost well over $100.00 I decided to leave it the way it is.

When I met RDA backstage at The Tonight Show (see Duct Tape Signed By RDA thread) I had this jacket with me (I had my parents FedEx it to me in Burbank, as I didn't want to take it with me, not knowing if I'd even get to meet him) and was going to tell him how I came to own it, but since he wasn't feeling well and wanted to get going, I didn't want to take any more of his time than he was already willingly giving me.

The next time I meet him I'll definately have it with me and tell him the tale. I wonder if he'll even remember or care, afterall Mac wore quite a few jackets over the course of seven seasons and two movies. unsure.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 26 February 2013 - 06:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Well, I'm sure he'd remember since that particular jacket he wore a lot in Season 4 and often in the rest of the seasons. I dunno who came up with the design, but it certain is a nice looking jacket. I wonder what ever became of his? blink.gif

That's cool you were able to get it restored, minus the tears, but hey... gives it character. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 6 June 2013 - 08:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I was on Wilson's Leather today (because I'm a leather jacket junkie now) to get some care products for my jacket. I saw THIS jacket and thought of Mac's leather jacket. It's very similiar, minus the zippers on the sleeves and the laces on the sides.

They have THIS jacket that is very similar, but without the laces.

Sadly, they are women's jackets (sorry guys), but I thought I'd share for anyone who might be interested. happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 6 June 2013 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Very cool find. I like the way it looks.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 7 June 2013 - 01:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

I really like the first one you linked there. (I'm totally not drooling over it! HONEST! *eye twitch*)

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
AussieMacFan
Posted: 7 June 2013 - 05:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Wenger Viking

Favorites
Episode:Cleo Rocks

Same here Yope, I'm not at all in love with the jackets. At all... laugh.gif

"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
-John Lennon

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 8 June 2013 - 11:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I never had a leather jacket before and I always wanted one. Figures it would take a TV show for me to actually spent the money for one. laugh.gif

Check out THIS one. Makes me think of Mac's biker jacket.

I like mine though. I bought it last year. It's THIS one. Sadly, I usually end up leaving for work with wet hair (I'm lazy and not much of a morning person), so it's discolored the collar a little bit. blush.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AussieMacFan
Posted: 8 June 2013 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Wenger Viking

Favorites
Episode:Cleo Rocks

Very nice, and don't worry I'm the same when it comes to mornings. smile.gif

"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
-John Lennon

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 8 June 2013 - 02:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

I love yours, Jedi! happy.gif
Haha, I'm just the opposite. I lie awake in bed reading, waiting for everyone else to get up. XD

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 9 June 2013 - 07:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Thanks! happy.gif It's actually the same jacket that's was in the picture I posted a while ago.

Leather jackets are nice to have. They're not only nice to look at, but they're very comfortable. When I visited my sister in Kentucky back in April, the weather kept changing from warm to cool... and I barely noticed. XD

Everyone should have at least one leather jacket in their wardrobe. They are a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth it. I like Wilson's Leather because they tend to have great deals and their leather products are of great quality. I got both my jackets for less then $200 each (including shipping/handling and tax).

I've thought about emailing them with the idea of making MacGyver's jacket, or something similar to it... especially seeing none of the men's jackets come even close to that style... which I find weird. blink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac1977
Posted: 15 June 2013 - 08:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: too many

Favorites
Episode:D.O.A.mac,widowmaker

Wow! I just found allmoust new Harley-Davidson leather jacket from local fleemarket. It was a bit pricey, but i know these jackets cost much more when you buy it new from store. I bought it because it is very close to Mac's style with side laces and no buttons or epolets. It is very soft leather and has HD text and eagle on back,but it makes it more cooler looking. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacPhoenix
Posted: 12 January 2016 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

How to find it? please?

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 13 January 2016 - 11:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Love the Leather Jacket, MacFan092985! thumbsup.gif I only own a denim jacket from the 80s which looks similar to Mac's one he wore in Black Rhino. happy.gif

Barry Rowland
Posted: 13 January 2016 - 01:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

I've a leather jacket, kinda like a bomber jacket, that I've had forever. I've used it as a blanket, pillow, umbrella (lol!), and actually as a jacket! The greatest thing about leather jackets is that they actually look better as they age. I hit mine with some leather lotion once a year and its good to go! I can't think of a more classy, useful addition to a wardrobe!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 14 January 2016 - 02:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I've had mine for about two-three years now. I love it. I need to get some lotion for it though... but, I wear it pretty much daily.

It's funny you say you use yours as a blanket, Barry... I have a winter leather coat I use as a blanket because it has a plush, synthetic lining inside, and inside the hood. It's too warm for KY winters, so I use it as a blanket instead. haha!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 14 January 2016 - 07:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

Way to go Jedi....that's one way of Mac'ing your coat! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Gonzalo Paredes Cárdenas
Posted: 3 February 2017 - 10:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hello I'm a big fan of MacGyver and please let me know if you could upload all the photos of the leather jacket that MacGyver used during the fourth season even photo of the series to see where it came and everything, I'll make a coat of Leather and wanted that exact model.
Thank you very much

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 February 2017 - 11:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Hi Gonzalo,

These are really the only photos we have: link

They're probably also the best photos you could have because they are close up. wink.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll