Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Apartment

Calendar that appears at the end of this episode, is DECEMBER 1986, where Christmas at that time fell on Thursday.

I was 5 years old at the time, hehehe ....

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 4 February 2011 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (The True MacGyver @ 2 January 2011 - 02:51 PM)
Really, what is this episode but an hour-long, PG-rated Die Hard?

Exactly. It's a poor man's Die Hard, like how "Eye Of Osiris" is a poor man's Indiana Jones. Fortunately, when this episode first aired, I hadn't seen Die Hard, so I didn't realize that, and I just enjoyed it on its own merits. I still think it's a pretty fun episode, overall.

The fight scene in this episode is one of best comedic moments in the entire series. I mean, it's literally laugh-out-loud hilarious when she jumps through the window.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
bert003
Posted on 5 February 2011 - 10:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Fire and Ice
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Voted Excellent... I really like this episode

macsak.gif

----
cheers
bert

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 17 April 2011 - 07:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Is it just me, or did anyone else laugh at the amount of money Victoria was being given to kill Mac? I mean, if Mac was this genius who could do anything, and was dangerous because he was so smart, surely they would have offered more than a pissy little hundred grand?
I was expecting at least a million.

The fight scene was awesome. Not the first time Mac had his butt kicked by a woman, lol.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 April 2011 - 10:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

yeah but your working on today's money value.

Back in the 80's $100,000 was worth a lot more than it is today so it would have been a significant amount.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
The True MacGyver
Posted on 1 January 2012 - 05:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

I just realized that this episode predates Die Hard by about 2 years. Hmm, I think I respect it a little more now.

A Dude's a Dude All Over the World - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 6 September 2012 - 03:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

I've not abandoned MacGyverOnline, should anyone wonder. wink.gif I've just had a very busy week, and the next couple weeks will be even worse, so please bear with me. I'm not abandoning any unfinished projects. wink.gif

Anyhow--"Phoenix Under Siege" is definitely one of the highlights of Season 2, in my opinion. Not only do we get a lot of vital information about MacGyver's background--some of the most traumatic memories presented through the eyes of MacGyver and his grandpa, in a very subtle and touching manner--but the episode also contains a lot of drama, suspense and the kind of humor that truly defines the MacGyver series.

John Anderson is perfect in the role as Harry Jackson, the chemistry between him and RDA really works. It's obvious that Mac and Harry have a close relationship, yet the events of the past still affect it. You can see how much they both appreciate that they're once again part of each other's lives--still, they're reminded that time has not been standing still, and Harry has begun to show signs of old age.

The hockey game subplot was very entertaining in itself, for various reasons. First, there's the fact that Mac, despite his "super mind" actually misplaced them and forgot them at work! I felt like a total idiot when I did a similar thing this week, but it's comforting that even people like Mac make such mistakes... sometimes. laugh.gif

The Phoenix scenes were really suspenseful, of course, though, as some of you have already pointed out, some of the MacGyverisms were probably a bit implausible. I agree with the previous posters that the fight scene is rather humorous, and I bet it's unintentional, for the most part. Mac just seems completely dumbfounded--I think it was pretty obvious that he just didn't know how to act, with a woman fighting like that... it goes against his morals to hit a woman (yet he does it in "Trail to Doomsday"... but she really, really deserves it... well, that's another story).

Love how part of him just want to snatch the hockey ticket at the end! laugh.gif

A definite "Excellent" vote from me. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted on 14 October 2012 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

Revising what I said a while back, I've since learned that there is a lot of stainless steel that will respond to a magnet, however much less than a piece of regular steel. But I still think the faucet was just a normal chrome plated brass faucet, meaning it wouldn't have done a thing.

I liked the episode though.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 7 December 2012 - 08:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

This was an excellent episode. I really do like the interaction between MacGyver and Harry. And the look on Mac's face when Harry is headed out the door with his hockey ticket and Mac looks back at his in the bomb was priceless!! roller.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist

Phoenix Under Siege is definitely one of my favorite episodes of Season 2. We get a lot of vital information about Mac's background and some of the most traumatic memories are presented through the eyes of MacGyver and his grandpa. This episode also contains a lot of suspense, drama, and humor that really defines the series. John Anderson is perfect for the role of Harry Jackson, the chemistry between him and RDA really shows here. It's obvious that Mac and Harry have a good relationship, and the events of the past still affect it. The Phoenix scenes were very suspenseful, but some of the MacGyverisms seemed a little exaggerated. I love how part of Mac just wanted to grab that hockey ticket at the end. The look on RDA's face was priceless. laugh.gif A "Excellent" episode in my opinion.

Overall Rating: 10/10 duct.gif sak.gif macsak.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 12 July 2013 - 07:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

Excellent! Of course it especially appeases myself because of the whole episode revolving around the Gretzky/Oilers ticket search. I saw Gretzky's Oilers play live several times during that era and it was as exciting as Mac and Harry were .... anticipating. The lighting and cinematography is well done and smooth as silk. The female ninja terrorist part is well acted by Tricia O'Neil and with some timely tongue in cheek humor thrown in. The flashbacks are well infiltrated within the hour and are welcomed and historically important for we MacGyver cronies.

A point on the hockey prop: Mac is wearing a Calgary Flames hat again, although he's clearly infatuated with the Oilers as professed in this and several other episodes. One thing is certain in life is that Oil and Flames do not mix and this is especially so in Pro Hockey - as you are either an Oilers fan or Flames fan and rarely both. I realize that the shows producers were trying to ride the coattails of the upcoming Calgary Olympics ..... but I think that Mac might have been better suited/costumed in an Oilers hat. doh.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 8 August 2013 - 09:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

macsak.gif The Macgyverisms and suspense made this one a great episode. Also Mac working with his grandfather, who was Mac's first guiding light.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 31 August 2013 - 03:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

I just watched this again so I should know the answer... Mac searched the inventory file. How did he know that the bomb was already in the building before the terrorists arrived? unsure.gif

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 31 August 2013 - 05:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I think he put 2 and 2 together didn't he?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 17 November 2013 - 10:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Saw this episode last night again. Was a good episode indeed. Also really liked the chemistry between Mac & Harry.

Did not rate excellent however because there are rarely any episodes I watch that can ever be rated this good. There were still some flaws.

Despite the security guard change, I found it difficult to believe that Mac actually bothered to put one and one together in identifying that the cigarette did not belong to the lady simply because there was no lipstick on it?!

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 28 January 2014 - 06:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:changes often

Any episode with Harry is excellent!

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

MiracleMac
Posted on 1 June 2014 - 08:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

That episode seems to be only where he drives jeep with top on and doors off. The Back From The Dead episode is only where he only got doors without hard top, but when he got time to change those doors when went to the church without doors and returned with doors tongue.gif hmm.bmp

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver85
Posted on 9 April 2015 - 11:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:Each one as I watch it!

So far this has been the only one that I have not enjoyed. The way
that woman could ask them their name and then shoot them really disturbed
me. It actually made me question whether or not I would continue watching the
episodes.

On a lighter note, the MacGyverisms were great!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 9 April 2015 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (MacGyver85 @ 10 April 2015 - 08:09 AM)
The way that woman could ask them their name and then shoot them really disturbed me. It actually made me question whether or not I would continue watching the episodes.

You must have problems with modern shows then. They have a lot more sick twisted violence than that in them.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 9 April 2015 - 04:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Do you know how many times and having had seasons tickets in Toronto & Buffalo - that friends and I've attended NHL games and had some kind of pregame 'ticket malfunction' and, yes, even with Gretzky in town? More than a few. re: I thought you had the tickets? No, you were given control of them last Saturday and put them on top of the fridge ... remember? Yes, now I do ... who's round is it & how much time do we have?

So ...... it goes without saying that this episode scores high on my top episodes list .... just because of that backdrop theme alone. And then it just keeps getting better.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

MacGyver85
Posted on 10 April 2015 - 11:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:Each one as I watch it!

I mostly just never expected that to happen on a MacGyver episode.
On modern shows(of which I don't watch a lot) I have come to expect
things like that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 17 April 2015 - 07:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

This is one of the best episodes of the second season. Besides, this is not the only episode where in the villian disposes of their henchmen.

Actually it's quite funny when she shoots that guy in front of Harry.

'The deal I have with the liberation front is that you are all expendable. Besides that, you annoy me.'

When she says they annoy her, she says it so dry and maybe a bit bored.

By the way, did you notice that that gun wasn't actually loaded?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Walter
Posted on 22 April 2015 - 03:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Log Jam

QUOTE (MacGyver85 @ 10 April 2015 - 07:00 PM)
I mostly just never expected that to happen on a MacGyver episode.
On modern shows(of which I don't watch a lot) I have come to expect
things like that.

Well it's and action adventure show and bad guys are called bad for a reason. laugh.gif

And remember the show is about MacGyver not using a gun, not the bad guys being unarmed. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 11 May 2016 - 12:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

Yes, it does kind of have a similar feel to Die Hard, that thought crossed my mind too. Nonetheless it's one of the best episodes during the entire season. Always interesting to see Mac and Harry bonding, making quips and remembering past events in their lives.

I always have a laugh with Harry's comedic quotes

The fight scene and subsequent death of the villain woman are kind of lame though thumbsup.gif

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Myrtle Groggins
Posted on 11 May 2016 - 08:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
House:  Second Loft

It's one of my favorite episodes and I'm quite impressed that an episode with almost no outdoor scenes has such a great atmosphere.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 11 May 2016 - 09:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Agreed, great ambience for not much expense in the set location department. But a dark
& stormy night with imminent danger, interspersed with clever reminiscing & all built around the subplot of an Oilers/Kings game will always work for me. Golden! I remember this one getting a lot of publicity in the Canadian media circles because of the hockey angle and, accordingly, the Gretzky name dropping.

Barry Rowland
Posted on 11 May 2016 - 10:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I loved it!! Any episode with Harry and Mac means tons of MacGyverisms, great interaction, and plain fun! I love it when the hit woman gives the flying leap out the window at the end. A very cold part played well by the actress. I haven't watched it in awhile...I'm going to put it on now! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 11 May 2016 - 08:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

I recently saw this episode again. It was a good episode although it was a little silly at times. I guess most television of the era had a campiness to it. The irony is that had the villains just kept quiet, they could have gotten away with it. I know about the extra money to take out Mac but they could have just been brief and left. Not that I'm routing for the villains! I'm not!!! I'm just saying! That's all! biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 12 May 2016 - 12:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I agree Denizen...and walked away $100K richer! biggrin.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 May 2016 - 09:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

$100K? That's pathetic! I wouldn't go under 250K. But of course 100.000 was a lot of money in 1986.

This episode however lost with an inch to Three For The Road for me as top favorite. But it's a great second though.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll