Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Deborah
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character?
user posted image [ 1 ]  [2.44%]
user posted image [ 3 ]  [7.32%]
user posted image [ 4 ]  [9.76%]
user posted image [ 10 ]  [24.39%]
user posted image [ 23 ]  [56.10%]
Total Votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 01:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Deborah

Known as "The Negotiator," Deborah was hired by Knapp, a land developer, to get close to, and influence MacGyver, who was delaying one of Knapp's projects by voicing his concerns over the impact the project would have on the local environment. She failed to sway him, and she also failed to kill him.

Two years later, after serving a reduced sentence, Deborah again tried to kill MacGyver. With his friends' help, MacGyver outwitted her, but she fell to her death after one last attempt to kill him.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I like the character of Deborah. She's a solid, constant personality, believable (to a degree) --a heavy touch of the Machiavellian perhaps, but she IS a 'bad guy', so-- passionate, cunning, independant, and colourful.

I did kinda hate the way she was shown all made-up and dressed to the nines when she was building bombs and stuff... I mean, really, who paints their nails before they wire a bomb dentonator? rolleyes.gif

I realize, however, that this is an excellent device to make her unlikable to the audience. biggrin.gif It worked! I despised her instantly! And not just because she was seducing Mac!

Okay, I'll be honest... yes, because of that, too! tongue.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 02:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good. I love this character because she gives us lots of fodder for nicely emotionally whumped Mac stories, but she is a touch cliche and a touch too, well, cliche for me to give her an excellent.

She is also afflicted with the cliche bad guy syndrome of having to make everything much more difficult to get her job done. (Unfinished Business? Helloo...just shoot him and be done with it...helloo....but of course then we woudn't have the great dilemma of her actually liking Mac and not being able to kill him, blah, blah, blah...and another of Mac's women folk couldn't fall off a cliff...again, just a little cliche...but all in all I like this character for giving me lots of evil aftermath for Mac to deal with! And we never got to see it on the show, so even better for us writer types! Nice job, Deborah! As if our man wasn't fragile enough...you do this and give us even more stories to write! Thanks!)

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 05:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Yes--she has been the topic of many of my fics, especially Mac dealing with the aftermath of what she did to him. He has a lot of psychological baggage when it comes to women and relationships, and she only adds to it.

She's the perfect sociopath--charming, narcissistic, no conscience, manipulative--so not altogether completely unbelievable. She would make a great partner for Murdoc, if he wanted to work with her. I vote excellent.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 08:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

I rated her good. She had a solid presence on the show. Her nastiness was a strong counterpoint to Mac's kindness and goodness. She is so cold and clinical as she analyzes her options for getting rid of MacGyver.

One thing I liked about The Negotiator was how MacGyver's sensitivity and vulnerability were portrayed, again a strong counterpoint to Deborah's calculating nature. Deborah's dual nature is clear in her scenes where she interacts with the other people in Mac's life. The look she gives Nikki as Nikki walks away from her is ice cold. I half expected her to go after Nikki, not just the dog.

Deborah was a real baddy and played it strong, even if her death was a little too cliched.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 25 November 2007 - 09:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Deborah was definitely a unique villian for MacGyver. For one thing, she was one of the few female villians I can think of on the show. For another thing, she actually showed up in more than one episode and was portrayed by the same actress. (And on MacGyver, that's HUGE! biggrin.gif )
And I thought that she was a bit different from a simple killer-for-hire. She didn't just go out and try to put a bullet through Mac's heart. She analyzed MacGyver and decided what was the best psychological approach to eliminate this obstacle. She didn't necessarily have to kill him- just get him out of the way. And so I thought it was interesting to see her taking a methodical approach to the situation. And it was interesting seeing MacGyver getting allured by this woman and wind up getting taken in- but still managing to defeat her in the end of course. And of course, "The Negotiator" is easily probably one of the best episodes and certainly seems to be a fan-favorite from what I've seen on the forums.
And upon initially seeing "Unfinished Business" I wouldn't have guessed that it was going to be Deborah necessarily from the start. They did it carefully so that you couldn't necessarily tell if it was a man or woman and I think that whole storyline played out well. And I definitely thought Pete's story of the scorpion and the turtle at the end of the episode was quite powerful.
And it was good to see that MacGyver did his best to save Deborah- because no matter what she'd done- all human life is precious and I think MacGyver definitely believes in the worth of every individual. And so Deborah wound up dying by her own hands- and at that point MacGyver had done all he could do.
Deborah definitely was a great addition to MacGyver's rather slim list of recurring villians.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 November 2007 - 02:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I think the whole negotiator angle was really clever and even unique.

Deborah wasn’t just a murderer for hire; as was just mentioned, her job was to “negotiate” MacGyver out of the way with as little fuss as possible, not to simply kill him. This in my opinion is quite a unique angle. Most baddy’s are just shut ‘em dead, blow ‘em up types like Murdoc. So to have this female work her way under MacGyver’s skin to find what his vulnerabilities are and then use them against him was… well… MacGyverish.

In fact I would say Deborah could be seen as very much like MacGyver. She investigated, analyzed, put a plan together on how to handle things in the same way as MacGyver did.. she was a thinking villain, which kind of follows the whole idea of MacGyver being a thinking hero.

As I typed this it occurred to me that they used a women to get under MacGyver’s skin in Lost Love too. It was a different situation there with the women being his ex-girlfriend, but I wonder if the idea of the negotiator started with Lisa in Lost love. Wouldn’t it be great to have insights like that from the writers, even just for a few episodes.

Something else I pondered while writing this is, I wonder if Deborah was her real name.

Isn’t it funny how the only 2 villains with any substance both had single names just like the main character.

Anyway Deborah gets an excellent vote from me. It’s a pity her second appearance was only a “Surprise!! It’s me!” at the end of a clip show, but at least they had the same actor and they tied it back to her first appearance .

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 26 November 2007 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good. I actually quite liked Deborah. If she wasn't evil, she would be the perfect woman for him. She's like the wolf in sheeps clothing. When she's with him it's like she' so natural, the way she dressed, hardly any make up.

You know reading all this stuff gives lots of inspiration for fanfics. Just got myself a few ideas.

Something else I pondered while writing this is, I wonder if Deborah was her real name.

I think so. Deborah sounds so very normal. Maybe too normal to be an alias for a 'negotiator'.

Isn’t it funny how the only 2 villains with any substance both had single names just like the main character.

And Zito. Unless his first name is Doctor.

But indeed Deborah deserves a special place with the biggest villains of the series. Between Murdoc and Zito and behind them The Von Leer Brothers.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 4 December 2007 - 04:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

Deborah was definitely one of the best villains the show had, along with Murdoc. She was such a perfect example of a sociopath: sweet and caring to Mac's face, while she was plotting to kill him. Smart, too: every bit as smart as Mac himself. She gave me chills!!

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jknnej
Posted on 20 June 2008 - 02:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It seems weird to me that MacGyver can't commit to women-yet he had no problem becoming her boyfriend right away.
I liked Deborah's character. I don't think, however, she would have been dumb enough to let herself die like that. She couldn't honestly think that tiny knife would have killed Mac or that she could take him over the edge with her.....thought she was way too smart for that.
I remember watching her second episode with my dad when it aired originally. My dad said right away, "That's a woman." I still don't know how he knew, but he did.
And MacGyver is SO smart, so Pete and Nikki. You're telling me they didn't put two and two together when Mac met the "perfect" woman right as he was being intimidated by professionals? Even after the boat explosion, no one suspected her....I don't buy that...no way.
But, they were still both good episodes. The fur coat was a little over the top; so was that tiny knife she carried around. Please; to kill a man with? A gun would have seemed a lot more appropriate for a woman killer; I doubt she would have the necessary strength to stab and kill a strong man who would definitely be fighting.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 25 June 2008 - 05:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites

jknnej, I agree with you about Deborah's fur coat, which wasn't just over the top, but didn't she ever deduce that Pete would run a lab analysis, and that the lynx fur could end up in the dog's mouth. Why wouldn't she take it off before killing the dog? Wouldn't there have been the dogs blood all over it? What did she do with the coat after that? Strange.

Also, I agree the gun she has in Unfinished Business is more realistic than the knife in the Negotiator.

You also noticed how quick Mac became Deborah's boyfriend--all I can say is Deborah was really beautiful and she seemed (an act) really interested in him. I don't know how soon they became physically involved, personally I don't want to imagine it, because she was using him and planning to kill him and that's a rotten, lowdown way to treat anyone. He was obviously seduced by her, or he would have caught onto her--she was good, but she left some obvious clues too.

As far as villians go, I like Deborah. I wanted to slug her, so I guess she's effective.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 25 June 2008 - 12:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Love is blind. It's always easy to see whats going on when your looking in from the outside.

And I guess the way we see.. and what we see, as a viewer isn't always the same as what the characters see or know inside the story.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 22 July 2008 - 11:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 26 June 2008 - 08:44 AM)
Love is blind. It's always easy to see whats going on when your looking in from the outside.

And I guess the way we see.. and what we see, as a viewer isn't always the same as what the characters see or know inside the story.

Could be. Love can be blind. But is it blind, deaf and dumb as in stupid? They only show us the highlights of the three weeks between the hearings with the State Environmental Agency. Who knows what Deborah told Mac about herself. Fanfiction is great. We could write it--their whole relationship in 8-12 parts. An idea. Maybe a bad one. You still haven't answered my question about the coat. It doesn't make any sense and the knife was another point that someone brought up. Why would she use a knife on Mac in the warehouse?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 3 December 2008 - 06:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

No wonder Mac fell for her, she is beautiful! I would too even if I knew she was bad! biggrin.gif Haha! On a serious note I thought she did great in both shows, she was one dangerous woman, very smart and skilled. She gave Mac a run for his money.

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Murdoc12
Posted on 10 March 2009 - 09:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Super Champ

Favorites
Episode:The Assassin & Partners
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker

She was good. She was creepy and she really tricked MacGyver into liking her, but she was a good villian for this show. jeep.gif

"In this game almost does not count."~Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 5 April 2009 - 06:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

she was a bit well scarey.

Beachbead
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 07:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I never liked her one bit, she just came off as the person that was hideing alot of stuff that she wasn't showing to MacGyver and I think the reason she killed the dog was because of just jealousy running through her blood.

macsgirl1
  Posted on 2 May 2009 - 01:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I completely agree with you on that one! roller.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 02:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Beachbead @ 3 May 2009 - 03:38 AM)
I never liked her one bit, she just came off as the person that was hideing alot of stuff that she wasn't showing to MacGyver and I think the reason she killed the dog was because of just jealousy running through her blood.

You do understand that she was suppose to be hiding a lot of stuff from MacGyver because she was the "bad-guy" of the episode right?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 2 May 2009 - 08:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

If she really wanted to impress Mac she could have at least got herself a swiss army knife. sak.gif Could have meant big time brownie points. happy_dance.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 08:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (macsgirl1 @ 3 May 2009 - 04:54 PM)
If she really wanted to impress Mac she could have at least got herself a swiss army knife. sak.gif Could have meant big time brownie points. happy_dance.gif

very true. biggrin.gif

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 30 December 2009 - 09:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (jknnej @ 21 June 2008 - 11:57 AM)
It seems weird to me that MacGyver can't commit to women-yet he had no problem becoming her boyfriend right away.

He did the same thing with Maria. He doesn't seem to mind the casual boyfriend/girlfriend thing, but any more than that and he starts sweating.

He doesn't have a problem having friends and such, so it makes sense that he wouldn't' have a problem with girlfriends either, as long as they don't want a serious committed relationship.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
deepfathom393
Posted on 24 April 2010 - 09:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

Deborah = EW! mad.gif I didn't like her character. And "negotiator" was just a little too mushy for me.... tongue.gif

PMUsers Website                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 24 April 2010 - 09:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites

QUOTE (jknnej @ 21 June 2008 - 10:57 AM)

But, they were still both good episodes. The fur coat was a little over the top; so was that tiny knife she carried around. Please; to kill a man with? A gun would have seemed a lot more appropriate for a woman killer; I doubt she would have the necessary strength to stab and kill a strong man who would definitely be fighting.

Yeah. She used a bomb that could be activated remotely but she couldn't get her hands on a gun?

I do like her character though. She did a wonderful job and manipulating Mac. I just wonder why she targeted Nikki but never thought to pretend like the marina people were threatening her. I mean it would make sense right? Maybe she could trash her own apartment or write herself threatening letters or something.

I didn't like her in the flashback episode. That one was a little too odd.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 25 April 2010 - 06:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Yes, I see what you mean about why she never made herself look like a victim of intimidation as well. Maybe she got so caught up in her games that she got overconfident and forgot to cover her tracks.

The one problem I have with the "Negotiator" storyline is this: Nikki and Pete never thought to suspect Deborah until it was almost too late. I mean, those two are very smart, and if my friend or close coworker suddenly got deeply involved with someone like that, who seemed just a little too good to be true, all kinds of alarm bells would be going off in my head. Someone who pushes for a quickly developed relationship is usually an abuser (not a killer, as was the case here, but the point is, it's a HUGE red flag.) Also, didn't they ever stop to think, wait a minute, all these things have happened since Deborah showed up. Ya think there might be a connection? doh.gif

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

What's that?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 April 2010 - 12:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

except they started happening before she showed up.

Remember the truck hitting MacGyver's jeep on the road was right at the start of the episode before Deborah was hired and Knapp even told Deborah that they had tried some primitive tactics to scare MacGyver off.

I guess, too, that this is a good example of "it's always easy to see whats going on when your looking in from the outside", but that's true of any TV show or movie, as the viewer we have the "eye of God" advantage where we see and know all that's going on, the characters don't have all the pieces to make up the puzzle.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 27 April 2010 - 06:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Well, yes, the attempt to run Mac off the road happened before Deborah showed up. I was thinking more of the boat explosion and Nikki's dog being killed. It was escalating, and they never even SUSPECTED that Deborah could have been responsible? Her timing was, as I say, a little too convenient.

What's that?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 April 2010 - 09:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah but how many times have you looked back on something after the fact and asked yourself why you didn't realize or see what was really going on?

As I said, it's easy to pick things when your looking in from the outside, and even easier when you have the all seeing and all knowing "Eye of God", which is what we have as viewers.

Within the story the project had obviously been going on for a while, as had Knapps attempts to stop MacGyver's investigation. Those attempts had already started to escalate with MacGyver being hit with the truck before Deborah arrived.

Maybe it's suppose to tell us that Deborah was in fact as good as she says she is at her job and was so believable as an innocent MacGyveress that Pete and Nikki didn't suspect her... who knows.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lostsouls
Posted on 28 April 2010 - 12:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege,Passages
Vehicle: Motorcycle

The actress who played this character was in a day time show or something?

I watched the second episode she appeared at the weekend and I think I couldn't understand how she could released so soon? Did I miss sth?

"This is one of those times when you go one way or the other and the
rest of your life depends upon which way you pick."

PM                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 29 April 2010 - 01:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites

QUOTE (lostsouls @ 28 April 2010 - 02:48 AM)
The actress who played this character was in a day time show or something?

I watched the second episode she appeared at the weekend and I think I couldn't understand how she could released so soon? Did I miss sth?

Yeah. She got out of prison pretty fast for someone who broke into people's homes, spied on them, killed a dog, blew someone up, and then tried to murder them.

Maybe she manipulated the judge? Hmmm...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll