Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 096 - Live and Learn

MacGyver reaches out to a promising high-school student as part of a Phoenix mentor program, but he has to get around a cynical teacher and the youth's no-nonsense father for his message to take hold.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 30 March 2008 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I watched this episode for the first time in a long while last night. I had some negative ideas and memories about this episode, but found it pleasantly entertaining.

There was something about seeing MacGyver pass on his knowledge to a younger generation which was quite kewl. Although I don't normally care much for the social conscience episodes, I did like the strong, yet subtle, message this episode carried about education being the key to all success.

I liked the MacGyverism with the burnt paper too.

And I love the line between Mac and Tony...

Tony: "Where did you learn to do all this stuff?"

Mac: "where do you think?"

such a subtle little message... If you want to be like MacGyver, stay in school.

I think this is definitely an episode to sit down with your kids and watch, especially if your kids think MacGyver is kewl.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 5 July 2008 - 03:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

The teacher, George Fraley seems like the typical burned out, overworked teacher that (while they may never take their feelings or lack thereof to the extreme that he does) feels that he is being shortchanged. My mom is a retired literature teacher and she taught 8th grade for years in a city school, and she had plenty of struggles trying to keep her sanity. A good movie about high school teachers in an inner city is Dangerous Minds, with Michelle Pfeiffer.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 February 2009 - 07:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 6 July 2008 - 12:48 PM)
A good movie about high school teachers in an inner city is Dangerous Minds, with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Oh yeah, good movie from what I remember. smile.gif

And yeah the teacher in this is one of the things I liked about the episode. I bet there are thousands of teachers around the world who can relate to the teacher, probably more so in todays politically correct "cotton wool" schooling environment, where the emphasis is on making a student happy rather than educated.

I find it kinda sad that this episode is still so relevant nearly 20 years after it was made. Our education system has gotten worse rather than better. sad.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 28 April 2009 - 10:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

the teacher seem's to be burned out and about ready to give up when MacGyver and Pete come to help.

MacLovin
Posted on 9 April 2010 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Jacket:  Brown bomber

The actor who played the teacher looks very familiar. I didn't catch his name. Anyone know what else he's been in? He is a pretty good actor. Good episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 9 April 2010 - 03:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

You probably know him as one of the escaped prisoners in the MacGyver episode "The Invisible Killer."

His name's James Sloyan and as you can see from is IMDb page, he's been in a awful lot of shows.

He is quite an enjoyable actor to watch.

You may also recognize the father from other episodes. Played by Jerry Wasserman also appeared in MacGyver episodes "The Gun" and "Collision Course"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Angus
Posted on 23 April 2011 - 01:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Halloween knights
House:  Loft

I didn't care for the sappy PSA, illiterate dad, the overworked teachers the school system parts of this but did enjoy the applied knowledge to piece together a burnt piece of paper.

Overall ok, but since season 3 too many PSAs

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 18 June 2011 - 10:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

This episode has inspired me to go back to school one day. I never finished year 10 and I've regretted it for years. I guess if you want to get somewhere in life, a good education comes in handy so I'm gonna take Mac's advice and go back when I can and learn. smile.gif

Great episode, though. I love all the 'social' kind of episodes, Mac gives us some great messages. The teachers rant about class sizes and textbooks and that is so relevant though, even today. The public system does need more help and the kids need more encouragement and more one on one time.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jaz
Posted on 19 September 2011 - 03:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Deluxe Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Two Times Trouble
Vehicle: Nomad

QUOTE (Makedde @ 19 June 2011 - 06:43 PM)
This episode has inspired me to go back to school one day. I never finished year 10 and I've regretted it for years. I guess if you want to get somewhere in life, a good education comes in handy so I'm gonna take Mac's advice and go back when I can and learn. smile.gif

Great episode, though. I love all the 'social' kind of episodes, Mac gives us some great messages. The teachers rant about class sizes and textbooks and that is so relevant though, even today. The public system does need more help and the kids need more encouragement and more one on one time.

Yeah, I had a mentor but as soon as I started high school the mentoring program stopped. :/ I needed (and still need tongue.gif haha) a mentor like MacGyver, Someone I could just talk to. I think most students should have a mentor. It helps alot.

"When James Bond gets an assignment, he probably ends up on the Riviera, up to his 007's in bikinis. Me? I end up 80 miles past nowhere. "

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tobop
Posted on 26 May 2012 - 08:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Wow...

Watching the episode, and just spotted Tilk (or Teal'c, Christopher Judge) from Stargate.

user posted image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Judge

Nice! And his 1st line is 'An alien toothbrush.'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mac8
Posted on 27 May 2012 - 09:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver

lol! laugh.gif

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 13 April 2013 - 09:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good for this one.

It's a nice, straightforward story: MacGyver helps out with a worthy project and then saves the day with cool science knowledge and a plucky sidekick macsak.gif

I know it's been done before and in a variety of ways, but I like it every time biggrin.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 9 August 2013 - 10:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Not my favorite episode, but I think the part at the beginning where Mac is calling a football play is great! laugh.gif You can tell the actor playing the student is having a hard time keeping a straight face. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 31 May 2017 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 9 August 2013 - 10:07 PM)
the beginning where Mac is calling a football play is great! laugh.gif You can tell the actor playing the student is having a hard time keeping a straight face. biggrin.gif

I loved that part! Made me wonder what went on behind the scenes with RDA and that kid. A lot of fun, I bet!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 31 May 2017 - 05:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

You do know that that kid is Teal'c, right?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 31 May 2017 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I wish I could find the con panel interview, but in the bowels of YouTube, Christopher Judge tells a hilarious story behind the scene where he's face to face with RDA. Apparently right after the scene cuts, RDA let out a huge fart, which caused the rest of the kids to laugh.

RDA is notoriously gassy, and the fart battles he had with Christopher Judge on Stargate are legendary.

Case in point...

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver85
Posted on 31 May 2017 - 07:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Each one as I watch it!

surprise.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 31 May 2017 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

So they let the truth come out, so to speak. whistle.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 1 June 2017 - 02:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

That's one way to put it. Might as well say they farted it out amongst themselves. wink.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 1 June 2017 - 05:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 31 May 2017 - 06:00 PM)
I wish I could find the con panel interview, but in the bowels of YouTube, Christopher Judge tells a hilarious story behind the scene where he's face to face with RDA. Apparently right after the scene cuts, RDA let out a huge fart, which caused the rest of the kids to laugh.

Here it is laugh.gif starts at (14:16)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXhxgUq7I3g

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 23 October 2020 - 03:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

Average episode for me, but I like the supporting actors, especially Fraley, he looks mean, disillusioned but a good man deep down.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 24 October 2020 - 01:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It took me years to realize though but the mean looking teachers are usually the best ones. If you can look past their exteriors and George Frailey is a great example of that. Once a good and promising teacher who enjoyed his work but became embittered due to the circumstances he has to work in. Also I think it's very interesting how Mac choose Frailey to work with and told him if he lost the wager Frailey should become projectleader. I was never in favor of troubled teens episodes but I think out of all of them this one is my favourite.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 24 October 2020 - 07:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 24 October 2020 - 01:32 AM)
It took me years to realize though but the mean looking teachers are usually the best ones. If you can look past their exteriors and George Frailey is a great example of that. Once a good and promising teacher who enjoyed his work but became embittered due to the circumstances he has to work in. Also I think it's very interesting how Mac choose Frailey to work with and told him if he lost the wager Frailey should become projectleader. I was never in favor of troubled teens episodes but I think out of all of them this one is my favourite.

Indeed, the "meanest" teachers are the best, when I was younger, I had a tough teacher, even mean, but I had great esteem for her, and I have never learned so well with her. ... That's why, when I saw the character of George Frailey, it immediately made me "tilt" in my head ... And as you said and Mac, Frailey is bitter, he is almost disillusioned with this life, and I think that's why Mac chose him to, too, give him back a taste for life, give him back self-confidence and also motivate young people ...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 04:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

MacGyver - Live and Learn (1990) Richard Dean Anderson and Christopher Judge.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 04:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

MacPhoenix trailer

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 04:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

MacGyver, "Live And Learn" Original Production used papers.

https://www.yourprops.com/-Live-And-Learn-O...5-YP803888.html

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Ha ha ha happy.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 04:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

A very interesting conversation with Jerry Wasserman.

http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/201...sation.html?m=1

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll