Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 087 - Cease Fire

In Switzerland for peace negotiations between two countries, MacGyver becomes a fugitive when he's wounded and framed as a sniper in an assassination attempt on one of the nation's presidents.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 25 November 2006 - 07:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

votes from May 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Excellent [ 5 ] [100.00%]
Total Votes: 5

Posted by: MacsChick Apr 30 2006, 02:15 PM
I just saw this one again! I love this episode! What is it with me and poor whumped Mac? 

I like the Lisa character, and how she seemed pretty strong-willed yet unsure of herself until MacGyver helped boost her confidence. She was pretty brave and clever.

I also like how Pete defends Mac, and won't accept the idea that he's an assassin. I remember feeling terrible when they threw that rifle at him and he accidentally caught it! Pete believes in his innocence but no one else does. Also, does anyone else think MacGyver looks cute when he's dangling from that rope trying to defuse the bomb? Oh, heck...dumb question... 

RDA seemed really scared when it looked like they lost grip on the rope.  Did he do the stunt when he lands on top of the gondola, or is it a mixture of him and his stunt double? That looked like a pretty tough one, and he really looks a little worried about it.  Oh, and once again...Mac on a bike!

Favorite quotes:

Lisa: "How do you come up with all this stuff?"
MacGyver: "Well, the stuff's already here. I just find a new way to use it."

MacGyver: "Does anyone have a knife?"
Lady on Gondola (I'm sorry--I forgot her name): "I do. It has lots of different blades."
MacGyver: "I know." 

Posted by: MacGyver Apr 30 2006, 02:20 PM
I think "Cease Fire" is a great episode! This episode introduces Lisa Woodman and her parents and it is another example of MacGyver getting involved in someone's life. Through MacGyver's encouragement, Lisa is able to get through to her parents about how she feels about their fighting and the parents are able to come together. Aside from that going on, there's also a good storyline- with MacGyver being shot and accused of being an assasin and he has to stop the real bad guys. And the scene where he drops onto the ski lift was pretty cool- especially considering MacGyver's fear of heights. And then we had a similar scenario when he cut the bomb off. And his MacGyverism where he built a welder was really cool! And some pretty cool quotes from this episode too!

"How do you come up with this stuff?"- Lisa Woodman
"Oh, the stuff's already there, I just find a different way to use it."- MacGyver

"Lisa, you can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

Posted by: rockatteer Apr 30 2006, 03:25 PM
RDA seemed really scared when it looked like they lost grip on the rope. sad.gif Did he do the stunt when he lands on top of the gondola, or is it a mixture of him and his stunt double? That looked like a pretty tough one, and he really looks a little worried about it.

Um... perhapes this http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/behind1.html picture might help to answer that question.

Posted by: MacGyverGod Apr 30 2006, 11:18 PM
I voted excellent. This is one of... if not the very very very first episode I've seen in my entire life. I couldn't have been older then 4 or 5 years old. Maybe I was only 3 years old. So it has a special place in my heart. Mac bleeding, dirty and his hair is one big mess in this one. I liked it how he looked when he found out what the bad guys where up to. This episode is worth 4 stars and a half.

That looking worried was just part of the act, if you look at the behind of the scene picture, if he would fall, he'd land softly. Amazing how they can make it look on TV. As if he's really hanging hundreds of feet in the air and Lisa watching from the distance. The explosion looked a bit fake but I can forgive them that when you see MacGyver dangling from the impact on that rope and the relieving music to the fade out. Keeping his mouth to his hand where he holds the good old trusty Swiss Army Knife. He's in Switzerland, homeland of the 
Can we count this one with the MacGyver Classics? 

Posted by: Macs Lab Rat May 1 2006, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Apr 30 2006, 11:18 AM)
I couldn't have been older then 4 or 5 years old. Maybe I was only 3 years old. 

Wow! You have a great memory. I can barely remember last year never mind being 5 years old!

I too voted excellent on this episode. For all the reasons you all have already mentioned really.
I watched this recently and actually yelled at the TV to tell Mac not to catch the gun. Poor Mac nothing ever goes smoothly for him does it? Well I suppose it would make a boring episode if it did.
The one thing that bugged me is that pretty much as soon as he had a dressing on his wound he was able to move about relatively easily. I know he had to try to stop the bomb but if a dressing can change him from lying sprawled on the grass in agony to climbing towers and roaring about on a motor bike…

Posted by: MacGyverGod May 1 2006, 02:42 AM
Wow! You have a great memory. I can barely remember last year never mind being 5 years old!

That's one of my gifts. I have great memory and I remember greatly that MacGyver showed up very early in my life. Boy am I glad he did.

The one thing that bugged me is that pretty much as soon as he had a dressing on his wound he was able to move about relatively easily. I know he had to try to stop the bomb but if a dressing can change him from lying sprawled on the grass in agony to climbing towers and roaring about on a motor bike…

Maybe the bullet never went in his body. Take the last scene for instance, that seems like the very next day, if he was badly injured I don't think Mac would've been there on the terrace but in the hospital. I think the bullet just grazed him, but badly enough to cause that wound. Then again if the life of someone important is at stake what would you do? Bleeding, injured or not do whatever you can to save that life.

Posted by: Macs Lab Rat May 1 2006, 10:56 AM

You could be right. It just seemed to me like it was some kind of magic quick healing dressing or something. Just tape it on and POW – super fast healing! 

Posted by: MacGirl May 1 2006, 02:49 PM
I voted excellent as well. I finally got to see this one all the way through... yay! The one or two times I tried watching it on USA, I always got interrupted maybe 15 or 20 minutes into it.

Great story... Mac being framed... that seems to happen to him a lot. Poor guy. I liked Lisa, too. She was very smart and very levelheaded. I used her as partial inspiration for Stacey in my fanfics.

Loved the scene on the gondola. Mac swinging back and forth while the bomb is ticking away... of course, he cuts it free just as the timer is about to run out. Oh, yeah! That's gotta rank as one of my fave scenes from this season.

And yes, I think he just got grazed by the bullet. I would imagine that being grazed would hurt enough to slow him down quite a bit, and it would bleed a lot, too. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 16 February 2009 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Great episode. Watched it last night after not having seen it for over 10 years, and it really holds up very well. Definitely a "classic."

One small thing that I appreciated about this episode is that they actually remembered Mac's fear of heights. It seems like the writers totally forgot about that after the first season until this episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 February 2009 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It's touched on in Widowmaker.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 17 February 2009 - 07:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

That's true. But mostly, the writers just ignored it, so it was nice to see a specific reference with Pete saying, "He has a thing about heights."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 17 February 2009 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

I love this ep! Mac is just magic with kids! biggrin.gif

Great action, good whumpage, blue silk shirt, motorcycles... what more could a fan ask for? laugh.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 18 February 2009 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I like the encouragement Mac gives Lisa to talk to her parents. I also liked the fact that the lady in the gondonalia has a SAK and is explaining to Mac about the differnet blades that it has. It was good to see to strong female roles, that weren't damasals in distresss. sak.gif open.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 27 April 2009 - 04:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I like Lisa in this one more so then in her next take, shes sweet and nice and helps MacGyver out, none the less she kicked MacGyver's SAK in the water.

Astra
Posted on 19 August 2009 - 07:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Posted by: rockatteer Apr 30 2006, 03:25 PM
RDA seemed really scared when it looked like they lost grip on the rope. sad.gif Did he do the stunt when he lands on top of the gondola, or is it a mixture of him and his stunt double? That looked like a pretty tough one, and he really looks a little worried about it.

Um... perhapes this http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/behind1.html picture might help to answer that question.

Is that picture still around somewhere? I can't find our "behind the scenes" section sad.gif Of course MacGyver's close-up would be before a blue screen, but that wide shot looked indeed pretty real, so I also asked myself whether there indeed was some stuntman up there.

Another question - how did the bad guys know the blood was on Lisa's scarf? All the other girls had gone for the weekend, they could not know how the uniform is supposed to look.

Oh and Rock, you have a picture of the red skyway in your locations page, but it should be the blue one. They are quite close to each other. When looking carefully in the episode, you can see the cable of the other one in the background, but no car going. I wonder whether they shut it down completely for the day (might be very expensive, and the angry tourists to deal with) or only told them when it was safe to go?

We asked some mechanic whether the blue one still was in use since when I was there only the red one was going. It is bigger and more people can fit in there. He said, the blue one brings the personal up to the Grouse Mountain in the morning, and if there are too many people then it also gets used once in a while.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 19 August 2009 - 02:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Behind the Scenes is in the Features section on the site. You can get there from the menu at the top of this page now.

Don't suppose you got any good pictures of the blue one?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
rinaldi_LOL
Posted on 7 March 2011 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Apartment

I've watched this episode when I was a child. That was early 90. smile.gif

I forgot the details of the story. All I remember is Mac jump into a gondola in Switzerland and the appeareance of Lisa. That's all. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 7 August 2012 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners

I find it quite a sad.. no... disgusting, commentary on our modern society that the underlying themes of this episode (bad parenting, broken families etc) are more prominent today then they were back when this episode was filmed.

In fact you could say that about all the Lisa episodes. They all have the underlying theme of neglectful parents who don't give a damn about Lisa other than that her behavior might make them look bad or interfere with their lives.

Now days you see and hear about these sorts of parents.. and much worse, every day sad.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 23 March 2013 - 05:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

This also gets a good vote from me.

Again a good story with poor old Mac getting framed and Pete believing in him implicitly. Also a good and still-relevant side story about Lisa, even though it seemed a little bit too easily resolved. (I understand from previous posts that Lisa appears in other episodes, but I haven't seen them yet. Perhaps I'll change that opinion when I have, but for now I'm going on just this one).

Always interesting to see Mac working with other people when he can't do everything for himself (shot and battered again, poor guy!) and to see how the people around him pick up a touch of the MacGyver state of mind. Also, RDA acts 'ouch!' so very well! Makes you wince on his behalf even before the shot hits because he really makes it look like it hurt surprise.gif

I too thought the cable car stunts were really something, and that the attendant lending him a knife and explaining about it to him was a really nice touch. The half a grin and, "I know!" says it all macsak.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 08:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I give this an excellent! I like Lisa as a character, we have MacWhumpage, and of course the whole gondola scene is classic. For some reason, this was one of the first eps I saw from season five and my very first thought was "Agh! Mullet!" surprise.gif I think I like Mac a little better without it being quite so long. blink.gif I've always wondered how much it actually hurts to be shot. Sometimes it's portrayed as incredibly crippling pain, and other times the hero still manages to save the day with barely an effort. Maybe personal pain thresholds??

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 17 June 2014 - 12:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

I loved that bike what Mac drove. It was blue Honda NX250

I read, that NX250 bike was perfect on road and very dexterous on off road wink.gif
The production was only from 1988 to 1990 plus the last NX series was Honda NX4 Falcon and ended in 2008, but they continued its production couple years ago and its only produced in Brazil.
The Honda NX650 Dominator from 88 to 01 was the last with that older NX desing.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 27 July 2014 - 01:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

This is probably my favourite episode, along with many others anyway, but this is a little better.

I like many things: when he meets Lisa, how he talks to her, the light blue shirt, when he rides the bike and when he drops on the gondola and goes down with the rope. biggrin.gif

RDA is acting very well his part. It's not easy to pretend to be hurt if you're not really hurting. He makes me wonder if he really hurted himself falling down the cliff. I hope not. unsure.gif

Also the other actors are good in their part: Danielle, Yanif (not sure about the spelling), the President and of course Lisa.
I even like the music at the beginning, when they show the mountain and the gondola arriving.

So it's an excellent episode from the start to the end IMHO. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 27 July 2014 - 10:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

This was a good one. Mac & Lisa's chemistry is what made it work for me.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted on 28 July 2014 - 08:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

Love the motorcycle action in this episode. I love the off road riding scenes. Also Pete does a great job showing concern for Mac when he thinks he is dead and doesn't know where he is.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted on 28 July 2014 - 08:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 17 June 2014 - 12:34 PM)
I loved that bike what Mac drove. It was blue Honda NX250

I read, that NX250 bike was perfect on road and very dexterous on off road wink.gif
The production was only from 1988 to 1990 plus the last NX series was Honda NX4 Falcon and ended in 2008, but they continued its production couple years ago and its only produced in Brazil.
The Honda NX650 Dominator from 88 to 01 was the last with that older NX desing.

Yes I basically love this episode as one of my favorites because of the motorcycle scenes. The bike appears quite fast on the road and does great off as well. Love the part where he stops and looks up the huge hill kinda wondering if he will make it. Then he like sighs and guns the motorcycle up to the top throwing dirt back down the hill. Just plain awesome. I love the offroad motorcycle episodes such as this one and family matter. When I was younger and even as an older person now, I always wanted to ride that motorcycle up those hills and through the woods. Would be much fun

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MatGyver
Posted on 28 July 2014 - 10:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Phoenix Under Seige

I just watched this episode tonight. I forgot how much I liked it. Great episode. I love the bike and the part where she explains the knife to him after she hands it to Mac and he says I know smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Harry1982
Posted on 27 September 2014 - 11:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I love this episode happy_dance.gif . I think it's one of the best MacGyver episodes ever.

Harry Jackson: There was a time when I could run all day without breaking a sweat. I tell ya: it's hell getting old.
MacGyver: Age is only in the mind, Harry.
Harry Jackson: Well, my mind tells me I'm gettin' old.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 12 September 2016 - 01:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 18 February 2009 - 10:25 AM)
I like the encouragement Mac gives Lisa to talk to her parents. I also liked the fact that the lady in the gondonalia has a SAK and is explaining to Mac about the differnet blades that it has. It was good to see to strong female roles, that weren't damasals in distresss. sak.gif open.gif

I don't know why the line where the Swiss woman told him the Swiss army knife had lots of different blades was so funny, but somehow it was. roller.gif happy_dance.gif thumbup.gif thumbsup.gif

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
JosephEastmond
Posted on 11 February 2019 - 06:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

My all time favorite episode. It's got a little bit of everything and then some. clip.png sak.gif

This post has been edited by JosephEastmond on 11 February 2019 - 06:05 AM

sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 03:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 03:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

First, put Lisa's best appearance, she's in hell shape.

5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll