Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Jack Dalton
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character?
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
user posted image [ 3 ]  [3.70%]
user posted image [ 11 ]  [13.58%]
user posted image [ 65 ]  [80.25%]
Total Votes: 81
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
tvero
Posted on 19 May 2014 - 09:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow Out
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Sorry, but I have mixed feelings.

He was very helpful,, and nice and, sweet in Lost Love (I think the scene when Mac is trapped and Jack tries to help him out is hilarious and FOR ONCE he agrees to help him) but most of the time he's just a pain...

So, no excellent for me .

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 19 May 2014 - 04:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

He's okay. I mean I like his sense of adventure and hair-brained spur of the moment schemes which (often) lead into excellent adventures - but his repetitive lingo with his amigos/mes ami/kemosabe interjections gets old early. I would have made him more mercurial, cerebral, mysterious and a little less shallow and bumbling.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 19 May 2014 - 09:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Perhaps making Jack more mature would have been possible but MacGyver came out at a tender time. Restrictions on television made characters two dimensional. This is why villains were as transparent as water and sidekicks were campy. They naturally portrayed an opposite of the main character to create a formulaic balance.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tvero
Posted on 20 May 2014 - 01:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Jack was supposed to be like that (immature...) All the people (male and female ) close to MacGyver were either sidekicks or foils, damsels in distress ....Mac was THE HERO helping his 'friends' out (Jack, Penny,even strangers who were very silly and useless I think).
Jack was the comic relief and indeed he was fun but he got on my nerves ,I always hated seeing Mac being exploited ,used but others specially his friends because he couldn't refuse them anything.Jack always found a way...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 20 May 2014 - 01:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I think Mac also lacks the character to say no to Jack.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
tvero
Posted on 20 May 2014 - 02:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Very true.But he was his best friend...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fly_airdalton
Posted on 10 September 2014 - 08:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: w/ the lighter

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Loft

QUOTE (tvero @ 20 May 2014 - 05:56 AM)
Sorry, but I have mixed feelings.

He was very helpful,, and nice and, sweet in Lost Love (I think the scene when Mac is trapped and Jack tries to help him out is hilarious and FOR ONCE he agrees to help him) but most of the time he's just a pain...

So, no excellent for me .

Yes. Agree. Jack is to be taken in small doses. He can be
rather over eager at times which can be annoying. He had his good side too, which sometimes evens out the balance. I wouldn't want to bail out a friend every time either. However, his shenanigans. can be hilarious . Anytime I think of Jack, I think of this beat up airplane, out maneuvering a small militant group. Pulling levers and saying "Tricks o' me trade me boy, tricks o' me trade." biggrin.gif

"It's funny how, when you want time to move along, it never does. But when you're running out of time, it disappears much too soon."-MacGyver (Phoenix Under Siege)

"It's a shooting gallery MacGyver, and we have no guns!"-Murdoc (Halloween Knights)

"We'll never be able to out run it".-Dr.Ludlum
"Come on, where's your sense of adventure?"-MacGyver(The Human Factor)

Last.fm

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 11 September 2014 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

Jack is hilarious, I like episodes with him, but I really don't like the fact that he deceives MacGyver to get help, he even takes advantage of his sense of guilt. It's true that Mac should say "no", but his conscience doesn't allow him and Jack knows it, so he shouldn't do that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Leevi
Posted on 21 October 2014 - 02:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Apartment

QUOTE (Berni @ 31 October 2007 - 09:45 AM)
The funny thing is, that I totally disliked Jack when I saw the series as a child.
BUT NOW I really love him. He is a very special character, he adds a lot of fun to the episodes and his body language and facial expression is great. And he is a true friend of Mac's, although he might sometimes cause "just a touch of trouble".
Can't imagine the series without him.

That is very interesting, because I felt the same! biggrin.gif When I was younger, I never liked him, he just bugged me. But now when Im older I appreciate his character much more.

I just love "Jack in the box" episode! roller.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 23 October 2014 - 04:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:
House:  ---

Jack's an ass and Bruce McGill plays him well. I, personally, would have toned the character down an octave and had him more on Mac's level & intellect .... and then with the ability to suddenly shift gears and cause the needed consternation that sends the whole episode into the eventual, unknown tizzy. ohmy.gif But he's annoying (and predictable) when he starts that telltale spiel from the first dialogue. Better if we all get sucked in more slowly ,,,,

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 23 October 2014 - 09:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Following MacGyver from the beginning, you get used to what type of characters are laid as the "Good guys". Like Pete. They are intelligent, witty and carry good hearts. When Jack first appears, gone is the stereotyped good guy and here comes this somewhat unfunny, often scruffy lookin' guy with this nervous twitch in his eye and the first thing that comes to mind is, "Hmmm. Who's this guy?...". laugh.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Kristelle
Posted on 6 May 2015 - 03:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Small Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Eraser, Runners

Jack is a good guy, but so annoying at times... as Mac says, I wish I could punch him, but how do you punch a kid? On the other hand, I love to see the two of them working together. You see that they know and so how, understand each other well. Mac does not need to give instructions, Jack knows. Good pals these two.

Zoe: Help me find the Holy Grail!
Mac: Indiana Jones already did that! I saw the movie!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted on 12 February 2018 - 06:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I remember reading an interview where Bruce was talking about how the producers had wanted him to stick around full-time, turn the show into more of a two-hander, but he refused cos he wanted to keep his options open.

I wonder what that show would have been like. They'd have had to have toned down the comedy, for sure (but that was pretty much happening anyway, by the time you get to stuff like "Brainwashed" and "Ma Dalton".)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lexa MacGyver
Posted on 11 April 2019 - 07:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Brainwashed

Jack was such a memorable character it felt like he was in way more episodes than he actually was. I think the first episode I saw him in was brainwashed. It's still one of my favorites.

"You drive each other crazy more than anybody ever could, but you care about each other more than anyone would. You're not friends; YOU'RE FAMILY!!" - Scrooge McDuck

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll