Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 69 - Collision course

When the driver of a Phoenix Foundation race car is blinded, MacGyver reluctant takes his place knowing that a former rival is racing for a ruthless businessman and will do anything to win.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 10 November 2006 - 09:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from October 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 1 ] [7.69%]
OK [ 2 ] [15.38%]
Good [ 9 ] [69.23%]
Excellent [ 1 ] [7.69%]
Total Votes: 13

Archived posts

Posted by: Tomms247 Jan 1 2006, 02:22 PM
to be honest with you this ep reminded me of when David Hassolholf did the very same thing in baywatch. Maybe Mac was a race car driver who know's, it doesnt really strike me as an episode that corrolates with the rest of the show though, but hey...it was ok.

The more the episode's go on, the more we learn the diverse amount of things MacGyver has been a part of.

The man's a legend, so who am i to question it.

Posted by: rockatteer Jan 1 2006, 04:26 PM
well we know RDA is a racer... and this episode reveals where in the http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/timeline.html MacGyvers racing career fits.

it doesnt really strike me as an episode that corrolates with the rest of the show though

To me its no different to him Hell fighting.

Posted by: MacGyverGod Jan 2 2006, 12:43 PM
I voted good on this episode. Not actually MacGyver but well another sports episode and that's alright for me. Keep up the good work Mac. 

Posted by: MacGirl Jan 2 2006, 02:01 PM
I voted good. A sports ep is always good, and I liked the bad guys and their plotting. 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Jan 2 2006, 02:24 PM
Kai Wulff's second appearance in the show. 

Posted by: MacGyver Jan 3 2006, 11:51 AM
"Collision Course" was a really good episode. It is nice to see a sports-themed episode on MacGyver, like "Thin Ice" or "The Eraser" and "Back From the Dead". (Okay those last two are centered around baseball, but it's definitely part of it.)

I thought MacGyver did a good job with making a new gasket from a pennant- that's typical MacGyver- making do with what he has available to fix things.

And I thought it was interesting to see MacGyver blaming himself for his friend's injury- 
"Good old MacGyver!" But his friend pulls through and MacGyver gets a chance to race again. It was a good fun episode and yes, it's another appearance by Kai Wulff as yet another villian- (but don't worry, he's got more left in him)

Posted by: MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 4 2006, 02:34 AM
i voted excellant. this is one of my favorites. it shows us another part of macs younger days that you don't see anywhere else. not to many macgyverisms but still good. i like how he puts together the entire race car minus the chasis and body work in 1 night. one of my favorite parts is in the end when stone hits the nos and slides off the track, and mac pulls ahead. the jamacian guy in the tv trailer is hillarious too. this ep has on of petes most funniest actions. when mac wins the race hes like yea....right and pete says yay!! while clapping his hands. i just think its too funny. and then the coronor comes up to him and tells him something and petes face get serious. hillarious!! 

Posted by: Amy Jan 7 2006, 04:18 AM
I voted good--not one of my favorites, but that's probably because I'm not too into racing! I don't mind the sports episodes because, you know, Mac can't always be chasing down international assasins or corrupt government officials. 

I love it when episodes give us a further peek into Mac's life before Phoenix. It makes him more real when you see why he is the way he is and the things he did before the show picks up on his life. 

Posted by: Lothithil Mar 4 2006, 07:39 AM
Good episode! G. Gordon Liddy, race cars, and angsty Mac-- a nice combination!

I think that this episode adds another dimension of character to Mac's personality. He was a reckless adventurer in his younger days (and his older days too, tho less reckless) I can visualize him racing cars easily.

And Rick loves racing, so I imagine that he enjoyed making this ep! 

Posted by: MacsChick Mar 5 2006, 03:52 PM
This one is okay...I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into it as much as some of the other episodes. I enjoyed the "Nascar" aspect of the episode, though, and getting to watch Rick race! There's something about a man and a fast car... 

I also liked the idea that his MacGyverism might not have worked, and his guilt and anger over that possibility: "MacGyver can fix anything!" He was so bitter and sad. His struggles with the past, and his refusal to race were excellent additions to his background character. 

Posted by: Sjaop Mar 11 2006, 02:22 AM
I voted good, not one of my all time fav's, but still good. 
I love watching him excercise one of his hobbies, like in "rock the cradle" when he falls out of Jack's airplane (luckily with a parachute on his back)
or when he's playing hockey or now, racing.
I love formula 1 racing, this kind of carracing is not quite my thing, but, hey, whaever makes him happy brings a smile to my face too! 

Posted by: MACGYVERISMYDAD Mar 11 2006, 04:14 AM
the jamaican guy in the tv trailer is hillarious "magic fingers do your thing"

Posted by: MacsChick Mar 11 2006, 04:17 PM
Hey, isn't that Jamaican guy Apophis in SG-1? And wasn't Chris Judge (Teal'c) in a Mac episode, too? Interesting... 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 25 October 2008 - 05:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

i had fun watching this episode. mac the race card driver! wow. although, i felt that the race was a bit slow. guess back then 150mph was considered fast. heh.

the jamaican dude is apophis? i didn't notice that! i knew he looked familiar. i already so several other actors in MacGyver that also appeared in sg1.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 20 February 2009 - 07:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (androgyny @ 26 October 2008 - 02:09 AM)
the jamaican dude is apophis?  i didn't notice that!  i knew he looked familiar.  i already so several other actors in MacGyver that also appeared in sg1.

Yeah quite a career change huh? Video editor to false God of the universe. laugh.gif

guess back then 150mph was considered fast. heh.

It's not considered fast any more?

I consider it fast. unsure.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 20 February 2009 - 08:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 20 February 2009 - 09:21 PM)
Yeah quite a career change huh? Video editor to false God of the universe. laugh.gif

Dead false god *jaffa smirk* happy.gif

I got to meet Peter Williams at Gatecon 08. He is very charming (and handsome) in person. I'd like to see him on the screen more often!

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 19 April 2009 - 04:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved this one seeing Mac raceing a car melts ones soul.

dinoman
Posted on 4 May 2009 - 07:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

The usual bad-guy-good-guy story, no need to wait until the end to know Mac is gonna win the race. Think Mac had done many different things before or during his time with the DXS: bomb squad in Vietnam, temporary taxi driver, and now car racer.

Interesting to spot Apophis around doing the TV thing, an interesting guy.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
Posted on 20 June 2009 - 08:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I love Mac's racing in this. He should give Jeff Gordon some lessons.

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 29 November 2012 - 01:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

Yay, I managed to watch one more before boarding the flight! wink.gif

And while my company is watching a series I don't care too much about, I'm typing up another "review..."

Anyway--despite the fact that I'm not a fan of racing, I really liked this episode anyway! I think it sheds more light on MacGyver's guilt issues, which is such an important part of his character. Poor guy is blaming himself for almost anything that happens to his friends or associates!

It was hard to watch him going through all that pain... his previous crash, and when he was blaming himself for Jeff's accident... and then, Jeff's daughter didn't exactly make it better with her tantrum. I understand her though. I actually liked her character very much! No wonder she was emotionally distressed, she cared so much for her father, and she had such spirit!

The Jamaican guy was so much fun... although the bit-map thingy trick is getting old by now, and it still doesn't work. wink.gif
(I must confess that I love when other series are making fun of this "trick"... "Oh, man, can you enhance this for me?" "No!" *snicker*

Hmm... I actually... well, because of the exploration of Mac's psyche, and not at all because of the racing, I'll give this episode an "Excellent"... even though it's more between "Good"/"Excellent," really.

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 29 November 2012 - 04:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I have to say the whole blaming himself for everything that happens to his friends got pretty old for me. I think is was over used and over done to the point of ridiculous.

However that aside I quite enjoyed this episode and was interesting to learn that MacGyver raced professionally for a time - obviously an indulgence of RDA's racing enthusiasm at the time. wink.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 6 April 2015 - 05:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

The flashback crash scene is from the 1984 CART Michigan 500 race between Chip Ganassi & Al Unser Jr.
Both men escaped with minor injuries.

Here's the full race coverage of the crash and then below it is the clips shown in the episode.

Full race coverage of the crash.

Clips of the crash as they appeared in the episode.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 6 April 2015 - 07:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Nice find. I'm not so much into sports but racing and mainly karting is something that has begun to interest me more and more.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 13 May 2017 - 08:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

I really enjoyed this episode particularly because it focuses on racing. I follow Indy Car more than stock/NASCAR, but it was great to see the old Trans Ams and Cameros. I noticed there isn't a nit-pick topic for this episode and I really have more of a question anyway....why weren't the car doors welded shut?? I thought this was standard practice for all race cars but I could be wrong (Indy cars don't have doors!). Thanks for any responses!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 03:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

This is RDA's favorite episode, personally it is enjoyable, but it’s not a favorite for me, it goes very smoothly and the enemies let it stop too easily ...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 03:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll