Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 70 - The Survivors

While testing their survival skills out in the wilderness, Pete and MacGyver find a downed DEA plane, and must outwit the drug smugglers who sabotaged it.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 10 November 2006 - 09:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from October 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 7 ] [50.00%]
Excellent [ 7 ] [50.00%]
Total Votes: 14

Archived comments

Posted by: MacGyverGod Jan 9 2006, 04:01 AM
Good episode and a Mac-Pete episode. They are together the whole time throughout the episode. Nice chemistry between the two and also two other actors who shows more often through the series. Dale Wilson and Gerry Bean. This was a great episode set in the woods. 

Posted by: penny Jan 9 2006, 07:34 AM
Wasn't that the episode where Mac used citric acid from an orange to develop the film? Once of my favorite Macgyverisms. 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Jan 9 2006, 09:03 AM
MacGyver wanted orange juice and Pete went: MacGyver? Orange juice? 

Posted by: MacNymph Jan 9 2006, 10:51 AM
I don't know if I'm on board with the whole "wash out" thing if an operative doesn't pass the test. That guy who broke his leg... even Mac has taken an unexpected tumble now and then. Seem like he should be able to give it another go before his career is over. 

Oh, and that guy who broke his leg one of the extras grabbed ahold of it by the splint and crammed it into the helicopter. He even bent his ankle to make him fit. 

Pete and Mac together, especially in an uncomfortable situation was great. Did anybody notice how much more creaking the ropes did when Pete was on them? And at one point Pete was hanging upside down and it looked like he was going to pop at the seams. 

Some of the best lines....

Pete "You know I would think, out of respect for an older man and your superior, you would have the common decency to be a little bit winded."

Mac "Now I like that Pete. You're thinking like a smuggler."
Pete "Well, the brain is the last thing to go."
Mac "Yeah? What's the first?"
Pete "Uh... I can't remember."

Pete "I lost six pounds out there. I may start dating again."
Mac "Oh, nurse" 

Posted by: MacGyver Jan 9 2006, 11:20 AM
"The Survivors" is a great episode! I especially like it because it's a great episode focusing on MacGyver and Pete. Pete has to go through recertification training and he proves his mettle and that he still belongs on the field. And this is one of the times where Pete saves MacGyver! And MacGyver developing film with orange juice was a great MacGyverism. 
"Well, I call it an obstacle course. Some of the others call it MacGyverland."
- MacGyver

Posted by: Tomms247 Jan 9 2006, 11:22 AM
yea i loved 'surivors' 

Posted by: rockatteer Jan 9 2006, 12:48 PM
Pete "You know I would think, out of respect for an older man and your superior, you would have the common decency to be a little bit winded."

Mac "Now I like that Pete. You're thinking like a smuggler."
Pete "Well, the brain is the last thing to go."
Mac "Yeah? What's the first?"
Pete "Uh... I can't remember."

I love those lines. They crack me up every time.

I sat down and watched this episode with my 6 and 9 year old sons the other night. They loved it!

The youngest thinks MacGyver is kewl !!

Posted by: Amy Jan 9 2006, 02:35 PM
I love this episode! Great lines--already quoted! I just like it when the show gets humorous. And I loved how Pete was dependent on Mac's scores for his future but in the end it was Mac relying on Pete...and Pete passed! Great irony there!

Yeah, MacNymph, I thought the guy with the broken leg shouldn't have been axed for the field either. Everyone has a bad day. I wondered if his broken leg was a result of his own incompetence or just a bad goof. I didn't get the impression that he was a questionable field agent, tho.

I voted excellent! 

Posted by: rockatteer Jan 9 2006, 03:34 PM
I don't know if I'm on board with the whole "wash out" thing if an operative doesn't pass the test. That guy who broke his leg... even Mac has taken an unexpected tumble now and then. Seem like he should be able to give it another go before his career is over.

He didn't wash out because he broke his leg.

MacGyver tells Pete that Bill Foy "must have spent to many years behind a desk. He was out of it by the first day" He then goes on to say"...and he broke his leg"

I think the broken leg was a setup for a bit of humour leter on when Pete asks how BIll Foy did on the MacGyverland corse, Mac replies "actualy this is where he broke his leg."

There is a more important question which arrises from this episode. And that is why on earth would a research and development "think tank" need to have feild operatives who, to quote pete, "need to be ready for anything, otherwise they can't be trusted"?

Of corse, from that comes other questions like: Why would a think-tank be in charge of security for a Chinese national exhabition (lost love)? Or why would they be involved in setting up someone in a witness protection plan... isn't that the FBIs job? Or why would a think-tank be assigned to handle peace negotiations between two countries (cease fire)? Thats the domain of country leaders...isn't it?

Posted by: MacNymph Jan 10 2006, 09:23 AM

Okay... that's true. But it brings up another question. If Foy, and Pete for that matter have spent too many years behind desks, what kind of field opertatives are they anyway? And just where are they going to be transfered to? A different desk job?

QUOTE (rockatteer @ Jan 9 2006, 03:34 PM)

There is a more important question which arrises from this episode. And that is why on earth would a research and development "think tank" need to have feild operatives who, to quote pete, "need to be ready for anything, otherwise they can't be trusted"?

Of corse, from that comes other questions like: Why would a think-tank be in charge of security for a Chinese national exhabition (lost love)? Or why would they be involved in setting up someone in a witness protection plan... isn't that the FBIs job? Or why would a think-tank be assigned to handle peace negotiations between two countries (cease fire)? Thats the domain of country leaders...isn't it?

I think it's a cover. Not that they don't do environmental and experimental work but I think underneath is where Pete spends most of his time. When Pete first appeared on the scene the place he and Mac got assignments from was refered to as "The Company", which the CIA is commonly called. And the building was marked simply as "Federal Building".

Posted by: MacsChick Jan 31 2006, 05:48 PM
Another good woods episode! I like watching how smoothly and effortlessly Mac goes through that obstacle course...you can bet Richard enjoyed that! It was also a nice episode to further develop the relationship between Pete and Mac in an atmosphere that was not Pete's office for a change. 

"Do I pass, or do I have to go back to MacGyverLand?" --Pete Thornton 

Posted by: MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 31 2006, 11:54 PM
good ep one of my favorites!! its nice how pete gets to go out and do some field work. it nice how pete is against doing anything but sleeping in the beginning but then he later changes his mind and wants to go gather berries!! one thing i never understood though is why they didn't atleast take the bag of coke they cut open and left on the ground with them when they realized that the baddies were back. they might not even have noticed they were there if they did. i guess they were just in a hurry. i remember the first time seeing this ep when mac and pete are hiding in that side cave and you can see pete sticking out i was thinking geez they have to see him standing there and they did which then resulted in mac and pete having to climb up the top of the cave. i voted good for this one!!! 

Posted by: Sjaop Feb 1 2006, 08:03 AM
Excellent episode!
I too love the orange bit! 

Pete "I lost six pounds out there. I may start dating again."
Mac "Oh, nurse" 

Sounds like something I could've said too! Only thing is, it was broadcasted when I was about 7 or so

Posted by: NCBoy1089@aol.com Feb 22 2006, 02:58 PM
Oh yes.. this Episode appeared on SpikeTV and it was a very good episode, I like the chemistry that Mac and Pete shared while embarking on this adventure and dealing with surviving outdoors and the drug smuggling issue, I remember Pete doing the outdoor obstacle courses that Mac setup and he kept complaining he was too old to do all of this climbing and swinging and Mac said "Pete thats only in your mind.." 

It's funny that RDA is now approaching that age and I hope he doesnt believe that about himself, I would like to see him as Mac one more time.. I know he's 56 but its better than sitting around and being dis-respected by shows that don't have that touch anymore and is not as half entertaining but RDA is still a good actor and he was so good and funny in that MasterCard comercial for the SuperBowl 40..

I know what I just said is off the subject but this Episode was good, I love the way Mac handles these moments when in geographic isolated areas like the desert, mountains and wide lands and stuff.. 

Toni Posted on Apr 3 2006, 12:39 AM

I liked this episode. As most have you have already said the one liners are what makes this episode in my opin. I like the why pete and Mac interact with each other.As in most eps you dont get to see alot of that.

Toni 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 11 January 2007 - 10:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I've just re watched this episode and noticed that when Pete jumps out of the water to Save mac at the end we can clearly see its not Dana, but a stunt double....

Which leads me to ask why such a simple scene like that required a stunt double?

I guess it could be that Dana wasn't actually able to physically jump up out of the water as required for the scene.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 12 January 2007 - 10:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

MacGyverland! happy.gif

"I was tired, I smelled like a monkey cage, and I felt like a prize fink..."
One of my all time favourite MacQuotes!

as well as:
"You saved the teacher's life... of course you passed!"

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 12 January 2007 - 05:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

On my top 5 list... Wonderful Mac and Pete scenes.

I loved the scene where Mac and Pete have to make it to the very last ledge before they climb out of the cave. Pete has been dangling on the tree root - and after he makes it to the ledge, he and Mac sit down and catch their breath. Mac pats Pete's head and tummy - like a big dog who just done something good. Great Mac and Pete moment - a window into their relationship - how they care for each other and trust each other. And when they are climbing out, how Mac guides Pete's steps. And after as they plot to get to the plane - how they know each other's thoughts. A great episode.

rolleyes.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
rutejack
Posted on 30 May 2007 - 06:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Don't have one

Favorites
Episode:Hind Sight

One of my favorite episodes of Mac and Pete. they are always arguing with each other, it's so funny! laugh.gif love MacGyver land, to Mac looks simple, but to others, breaking legs...anyone want to go there? I'll join you when the exercise it's done. laugh.gif cool.jpg

"If you got something to say you should say it, or it will just gonna tear you up inside." MacGyver, "Cease Fire"

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 10 June 2007 - 10:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 12 January 2007 - 06:55 PM)
Which leads me to ask why such a simple scene like that required a stunt double? 

I guess it could be that Dana wasn't actually able to physically jump up out of the water as required for the scene.

I am sure everyone noticed that Dana Elcar's stunt double here (and in season 2 episode with the Saskwatch or whatever you spell it, for instance) was Don S Davis.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 10 June 2007 - 02:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Yep! I love Don! He's a pretty cool artist from what I understand and sounds like a nice man. He was also in a couple of MacGyver episodes--in Blowout as the cement truck driver and in The Endangered as one of the poachers. Of course, we can't forget that he was General Hammond in SG-1! smile.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 12 June 2007 - 10:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I love Don S Davis too, great father figure

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 12 June 2007 - 12:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I love Don S. Davis but there's this thing he does in everything I've seen him in.

Might be he's a hand talker (waves his arms around) or a nervous thing but if you watch him on screen... his left hand is always in motion when he's speaking. It distracts the heck out of me. laugh.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 13 June 2007 - 10:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 13 June 2007 - 09:22 AM)
Might be he's a hand talker (waves his arms around) or a nervous thing but if you watch him on screen... his left hand is always in motion when he's speaking. It distracts the heck out of me.  laugh.gif

I think he must be left handed from what I have seen in Stargate SG-1 (and wears his watch on his right wrist, not that this has anything to do with being lefthanded but anyway).

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 14 June 2007 - 03:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Yes, he is lefthanded. I met him at a convention and let something sign, and he had to slightly turn it so that he could write better with his left hand and he said "Because I'm left handed". Only thing I thought to reply to that was "Well, I'm not!" laugh.gif

I understand that many artists and creative people are lefthanded.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
ebonaskavi
Posted on 15 July 2007 - 09:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights

This is one of my favorite episodes - I love how you can see the strong bonds between Mac and Pete.

Dreams are important, otherwise sleep is just eight hours of nothing.

I call it an obstacle course. Some of the others call it MacGyverland.

Must have duct tape ... Lots of duct tape.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 16 July 2007 - 03:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I love this episode too The strength of the bond between Mac and Pete is clearly felt. And I just love the lines "you just saved the teacher's life, of course you passed" and "I think I may strat dating again"..."Oh Nurse"

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 July 2007 - 12:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 13 June 2007 - 09:28 AM)
I love Don S. Davis but there's this thing he does in everything I've seen him in.

Might be he's a hand talker (waves his arms around) or a nervous thing but if you watch him on screen... his left hand is always in motion when he's speaking. It distracts the heck out of me. laugh.gif

I saw him in an interview about SG-1 and he was waving his hands around a lot during that too.

So I reckon he's a hand talker.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 17 July 2007 - 02:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Confucious say "never stand too close to a hand talker"

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 December 2007 - 03:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

While watching this episode last night somethign occurred to me...

When Mac and Pete are hiding in the cave... wouldn't the bad guys hear Macs voice echoing as he tells Pete to "suck it up"?

Even after they get trapped... their voices and other sounds they where making would probably have echoed around that cave amplifying and been heard through that hole they climbed out through.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Victoria_Rose
Posted on 22 December 2007 - 04:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode:

You know, I thought about that too when I watched it. You would think that everyone in the cave could have heard him.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 6 September 2008 - 11:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

QUOTE (rutejack @ 31 May 2007 - 02:42 AM)
One of my favorite episodes of Mac and Pete. they are always arguing with each other, it's so funny! laugh.gif love MacGyver land, to Mac looks simple, but to others, breaking legs...anyone want to go there? I'll join you when the exercise it's done. laugh.gif cool.jpg

I love the expression on Pete's face when he saw Mac was climbing those ropes and ladders so easily. He looked puzzled and thought it was unbelievable ... tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 9 October 2008 - 10:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

Episodes that have Pete on bigger role and nature episodes are among my biggest favourites of this show. This episode has both and there is also scene where Pete saves Macs life. I have no complaints. This is a perfect episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 29 October 2008 - 05:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

excellent episode! i always enjoy mac and nature episodes. plus this ep is about mac and pete friendship. i kinda don't buy the rule for people like pete having to need to be re-certified for field operations. i don't get it, but its part of the plot, so...

while i was watching this ep, i was wondering what rda would be thinking if he were to see this ep now. he'd probably relate to pete.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 6 April 2009 - 09:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

I rewatched this episode last night and still touched by the trust between Mac & Pete. It was so sweet that when Pete said something like "if I had to be washed out by someone I want that person being you." The "suck it up!" scene was funny, Pete tried so hard but still couldn't make it, not to mention his bright red jacket! laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 June 2009 - 09:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Isn't it a little weird that Pete would offer MacGyver meat stew when he knows MacGyver doesn't normally eat meat?

Actually ever weirder is that he would offer MacGyver canned food (full of preservatives etc) when he knows what health nut MacGyver is.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
Posted on 19 June 2009 - 02:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

My favorite part is at the end when Mac told Pete it was a payment on the debt to him, for all the years he looked up to him. A real touching moment.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 8 December 2009 - 05:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Is anyone else disturbed by the "fatso" comment Pete mumbles about himself as he's sliding along the rope.

Every time I hear that I start wondering if he ab-libed it or if it was a written line? And if it was a written line, I wonder how Dana felt when he read it. It seems pretty damn mean and quite disrespectful to me. Then again maybe Dana had a thick skin and didn't take any notice of such things. Who knows.

I'd like to think that RDA and others in the crew wouldn't allow some snot-nose little upstart writer to get away with something like that. But I always spend a few minutes pondering that comment when I hear it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 9 December 2009 - 07:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

He was just trying to motivate himself to get across the rope, albeit in a negative way. Remember, he spends much of this episode frustrated with himself, and he was just letting his anger show by disparaging himself. Who hasn't made a negative comment about themselves before, especially under stress?

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 9 December 2009 - 10:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

My post was about how the line came to be, not what it meant in the story.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 10 December 2009 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

I understand--I just wanted to bring new dimension to it, to try to explain the motive for using such a line. I honestly just think he was in character when he said that, that's all. Pete is known for his occasional gruffness.

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 10 December 2009 - 07:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

hmmm hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 11 December 2009 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I suspect the line was ad-libbed, but either way, I think actors have to have a thick skin when it comes to stuff like that. There are plenty of times in TV shows or movies when a character might get made fun of for being short, or fat, or anything else, and naturally, those comments reflect not just the character, but the actor playing that character as well.

Also, even if the "fatso" line was adlibbed, we know for sure that the entire scene wasn't ad-libbed, and really, the entire scene was there to point out how out-of-shape Pete was, in a somewhat comical way. So even if the word "fatso" wasn't written into the script, the scene emphasizing Pete's lack of physical fitness was in the script.
I think Dana was well-aware that he wasn't exactly trim, and he was prepared to laugh at himself a bit. As an actor, I think he needed that attitude.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll