Disclaimer      

All stories in this forum are the intellectual property of the respective authors. These works may not be copied or re-presented in any way what-so-ever with out the express permission of the respective author of the work. These writings are written for the enjoyment of fans and are not intended to infringe upon any copyrights or trademarks owned by Paramount Studios, agents of, or persons authorized to act on behalf of.

Please read the Fan Fiction Rules before posting your fiction.

>> Fan Fiction Index <<

Dear Mom and Dad, A brief Murdoc one-shot
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Dragondog
Posted: 26 April 2018 - 06:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I'm still editing my fanfic that I promised. While I'm working on that, I decided to post this one-shot, from Murdoc's younger years. Hope you guys like it!

Dear Mom and Dad,

It was a pointless letter. They were both dead. But somehow, writing to his dead parents felt like the closure he needed. The official ending to his old life, as he moved into his new one. After thinking a moment, Murdoc wrote more.

It's been such a short time since we last spoke, since you were taken from me, but so much has happened that it feels like forever. I'm still the same age. Barely anything but a child, but I fend for myself like an adult.

Except most adults weren't killers. The thought sent a shiver of dread up his spine, but he pushed it aside. Even so, the thoughts of how ashamed his parents would be if they saw him now swarmed his brain, and they threatened to overtake him. Hands shaking, he picked up the pencil and kept writing.

I tried my hardest to look after Ashton. She's so small and defenseless, so innocent. But, as I said earlier, I'm barely an adult myself. I was forced to drop her off at a Social Service building. I still check up on her, and send her any money I can, but I'm not taking care of her anymore. I hope you would understand.

He felt a pain, remembering his last night with his baby sister, but then straightened, and wrote the next paragraph.

I met a man named Nicolas Helman. He paid me to do some small jobs for him. He wants to hire me to his organization. It's a big jump, but it's the best move I think I could make. The pay is good, and it will keep me from starving.

Suddenly, a wave of emotion nearly knocked him over as he remembered his father telling him that the quality and morals of a job are much more important than the pay you receive.

He paused, eyes closed, before resuming his letter.

You wouldn't be proud of me. I know you wouldn't. But this is where I am now. Ashton will never be involved in my criminal life. My murderer life. But you're dead, so it doesn't matter.

He felt a single tear slip from his eye, dropping onto the paper he was writing on. He blinked further tears back, and wrote the last bit of his letter.

I won't write again. I needed some closure, but now I have to put my past away. I'm not who I was, and I have to harden myself, or be destroyed. So I guess this is where I'll end.

He didn't bother signing the letter. He simply got up, and pushed his chair back under the table. He slipped the letter into a safe place, just in case, though he felt ready to move forward. He no longer allowed himself to feel sad, or guilty, or anything. To his own alarm, he didn't even care if he died or not.

With a sigh, he got himself ready for bed, knowing that when morning came, he would no longer feel like the scared, defenseless boy he had been, but instead he would be a killer, training to be the best of his class, a man who felt no emotions that could be considered weak.

And when Murdoc awoke the next morning, that's exactly how he felt.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacsMinx
Posted: 29 April 2018 - 03:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot (intro v.o.), LTOA
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors
House:  Observatory

Well done! thumbup.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 29 April 2018 - 04:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacsMinx @ 29 April 2018 - 06:42 PM)
Well done! thumbup.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 5 May 2018 - 07:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

This is why we're friends. wink.gif

Seriously, though, good job. This one is my favorite of yours so far. I like the way you interspersed Murdoc's letter with his "real-time" thoughts and emotions. The structure added a lot of ambience and uniqueness to the story. I enjoyed the hints at Murdoc's relationship with his parents and the background that they gave him, as well as that tension between what he thinks he has to do and what he knows is the right thing to do. You also gave him a much happier backstory than most other interpretations of the character (including mine!) so that was refreshing.

Also, about him not caring if he dies or not---I see what you did there. wink.gif
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who stalks MDB on Twitter. laugh.gif

Anyway, great work! You know I always love a Murdoc story!

"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 6 May 2018 - 04:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 5 May 2018 - 10:01 PM)
This is why we're friends. wink.gif

Seriously, though, good job. This one is my favorite of yours so far. I like the way you interspersed Murdoc's letter with his "real-time" thoughts and emotions. The structure added a lot of ambience and uniqueness to the story. I enjoyed the hints at Murdoc's relationship with his parents and the background that they gave him, as well as that tension between what he thinks he has to do and what he knows is the right thing to do. You also gave him a much happier backstory than most other interpretations of the character (including mine!) so that was refreshing.

Also, about him not caring if he dies or not---I see what you did there. wink.gif

Anyway, great work! You know I always love a Murdoc story!

Thanks Sanguine! Apparently my best ideas come to me when doing chores laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 6 May 2018 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 5 May 2018 - 10:01 PM)

You're definitely not the only one! laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 7 May 2018 - 05:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung
Vehicle: Jeep

Nice job!!! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 7 May 2018 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Thanks Barry! biggrin.gif

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll