SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Episode 131 - Walking Dead

After a student organizer is kidnapped, MacGyver and his neighbour Mama Lorraine have to rescue the girl from a powerful voodoo priest.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 3 March 2007 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Now generally, most of this episode is a little over the top for me, but I absolutely love the drug that induces a death-like state. I thought that was so cool that I used something similar in one of my earlier fanfics. Watching poor Mac try to fight the drug's effects...some more good acting by RDA, I thought. Overall, I vote "Good."

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 3 March 2007 - 01:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Thief of Budapest
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I really didn't like this episode for a few reasons... First, I never want to see MacG in full voodoo face paint ever again. I am planning on having a nightmare about it. Also I guess I don't like to see Mac in any position of powerlessness, like after he had been zombied out. Also it was a huge screetching disruption in my suspension of disbelief when I saw Booker on the screen as some doctor. I really don't like it when they recycle characters, especially kind of noteworthy and memorable ones. I just thought the epi had a weird vibe, but I can understand if others like it - it is something different.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 3 March 2007 - 03:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted excellent for this. Maybe that's too much but 'Good' isn't good enough. I like this episode and I like Mama Lorraine with her ravings about 'evil mojo'.
'This is evil mojo, MacGyver!'
I think the voodoo theme is a bit under used. It's something to make great movies about, of course we got The Skeleton Key and Venom, if you're looking for something of that.
Anyway about The Walking Dead. I liked it a lot. It's one of the seventh season's darker episodes, if not the darkest episode. The look on MacGyver's face is priceless when he checks Cherine with his knife to see if she's alive.
No breathing, no pulse, but alive. How freakier can you think of it?
The whole poisoning, the escaping out of the coffin, the Macgyverism at the end... marvelous.
Seeing him jumping out of the truck, hitting both men with the shovel and punching the other one's lights out is so cool.

First, I never want to see MacG in full voodoo face paint ever again.

I'm sure that's what MacGyver thought when he was painting himself with it. I wonder how long it took him to do so. biggrin.gif

Also I guess I don't like to see Mac in any position of powerlessness, like after he had been zombied out.

Are you kidding? That's when everything thickens. That's when shows are at their best when the hero has to go through big deals to survive.
So does this mean you also don't like Passages? The best episode ever?

Also it was a huge screetching disruption in my suspension of disbelief when I saw Booker on the screen as some doctor. I really don't like it when they recycle characters, especially kind of noteworthy and memorable ones. I just thought the epi had a weird vibe, but I can understand if others like it - it is something different.

Ah well, they did that quite often. Kai Wulff shows up four times and there are many more. There are some actors you would be surprised they are used again. Like the guy that played Steve on Renegade, he shows up again in MacGyver's Women. Took me long to recognise him. Or Commander Hilliard, this guy played Kluge in High Control with the beard, the scar, the two different eye colours.
It doesn't really bother me. One time they play the good guy, the other the bad guy. It's probably cheaper too and so what... than it stays in the family.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 3 March 2007 - 03:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

I rewatched this one last night and I just love it! RDA is incredible as he acts Mac trying to fight the poison, Mama Lorraine is one of my favourite guest stars (we have a similar attitude to our different, but similar, badly understood religions), and the whole thing was just a perfect MacGyvery blend of humour, creepiness, seriousness, and campiness.

Best line:

"I am a priestess not a a showgirl!" You go, Mama! roller.gif

Mac
who says that to everyone who asks her "Gee, can I sit in on your next ritual?"

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 3 March 2007 - 09:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

I enjoyed "Walking Dead" pretty well- it was a pretty fun action-filled episode mostly... Mama Lorraine shows up again and gets established as a fairly recurring character for the 7th. season (this is her third and last appearance- for MacGyver, 3 appearances with the same actor/actress makes the character recurring! biggrin.gif )
I was a bit unconformtable with the voodoo stuff, but I was a bit placified with the medicinal explanation. It seems like almost every cool action show like MacGyver (and this probably mainly applies to 1970s and 1980s shows) has to have the obligatory "supernatural" episode- (and sometimes they tend to be a later episode too... I'm mainly thinking of the "Voodoo Knight" episode of Knight Rider- last episode of the series) (I'm sure there's more examples... but that's just an aside)
Anyway- MacGyver has some cool MacGyverisms in this episode- I love the escape from the coffin in the truck- that just adds a neat creepy kinda tone to the episode- but it's all cool when MacGyver saves the day, as always.
And the scene where he punches out Dr. Redempteur is really cool too- I don't think Mac even had to shake his hand on that one! laugh.gif
And his distraction with the barrells was great too.
Overall it was a pretty fun episode with some good action. And though MacGyver doesn't travel out of the country or anything- it is pretty cool to see him dealing with a different people group. But he always does that too- fights for whoever needs his help! sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 03:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

What I also liked was Mama Lorraine's distraction with retying the guys tie.
'Too thight?'
And in the end when MacGyver's in, she tied the tie correct and pulls his collar. All set the meet the Baron.

I almost rofl when Concasseur says that: 'Everybody in Little Haïti knows Mama Lorraine!' and laughs and then Mama Lorraine fakes her laugh.

"I am a priestess not a a showgirl!"

I like this one better. 'I'll do it, but if you cross me, I'll show you more than chemistry and acting!'

It seems like almost every cool action show like MacGyver (and this probably mainly applies to 1970s and 1980s shows) has to have the obligatory "supernatural" episode- (and sometimes they tend to be a later episode too... I'm mainly thinking of the "Voodoo Knight" episode of Knight Rider- last episode of the series) (I'm sure there's more examples... but that's just an aside)

Hmm, our supernatural episode is to my opinion The Visitor.

Overall it was a pretty fun episode with some good action. And though MacGyver doesn't travel out of the country or anything- it is pretty cool to see him dealing with a different people group. But he always does that too- fights for whoever needs his help!

And this all in a day time.
Cherine gets kidnapped, they analyse the doll, MacGyver gets poisoned, escapes, drives back to Mama Lorraine's place, antidote, punches Dr. Redempteur out, drives back to the dam, takes out the villains and saves the day.
What a day!! And ironically for such a dark episode it was quite a sunny day.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 10:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Whoever used the phrase "MacGyvery blend" that was awesome! I love that. I guess it was Mac.
I hate to be the episode kill joy here, but another reason I wasn't ga-ga over this episode is the same tired old stereotyping of Haitians being portrayed as outlandish voodoo freaks. There's more to Haitians and black people than just "being in league with the dark side" (sarcasm). Ya, I know this was the 80's and perpetuating stereotypes was the norm, and I know I need to lighten up! I admit it. Just this episode didn't sit well with me. Maybe because of my real fear of zombies. It's not that they're killers, it's their complete and total lack of emotion...I'm not saying the epi was entirely without merit though...MacGyver WAS in it. HaHa don't all massacre me!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 11:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  ---

QUOTE (macGyverGod)
Hmm, our supernatural episode is to my opinion The Visitor.

you need to go look up what supernatural means.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 01:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Maybe because of my real fear of zombies.

Have you ever met one. Zombies are usually the results of experiments that goes terribly awry.

you need to go look up what supernatural means.

Or The Secret of Parker House. Ghosts and ghouls and that stuff. I know.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 01:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 4 March 2007 - 02:45 PM)
Whoever used the phrase "MacGyvery blend" that was awesome! I love that. I guess it was Mac.

Gee, how did you guess? laugh.gif

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 08:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Yeah- for a show that's usually grounded in scientific reality (for the most part wink.gif ) MacGyver has had his share of brushes with the supernatural. But that's probably something for another topic.

Speaking of which........
see this thread...

http://www.macgyveronline.com/forums/index...t=ST&f=2&t=3088

PM                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 08:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

I say excellent for this one. Voodoo is badly misunderstood and stereotyped, and I was glad to see that they were at least sort of trying to set the record straight (as in Mama Lorraine insisting that it be used only for good purposes, and using her powers to punish someone who was using it the wrong way). I loved Mama Lorraine's "voodoo fakeout" and then her telling the guy not to ever get her really mad. clapping.gif She's great.

The scene where Mac is under the influence of the voodoo drug had me on the edge of my seat. I knew he'd be okay, of course, but it was still a very tense moment. GREAT acting by RDA here!!

BTW, if anyone wants to learn more about voodoo, there's a book called "The Serpent and the Rainbow" (can't think of the author off the top of my head), that explains it's cultural roots and some of the substances that are used to turn people into zombies. I have yet to read it myself, but I've talked to other people who have read it, and they say it's quite interesting.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 4 March 2007 - 10:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 4 March 2007 - 09:43 PM)
Maybe because of my real fear of zombies.

Have you ever met one. Zombies are usually the results of experiments that goes terribly awry.

MacGyverGod! roller.gif
you'll all be glad to know thats not the result I get when my experiments go terribly awry!

I vote ok on this one. I haven't watched this one much and I always find another episode I'd rather watch. unsure.gif

QUOTE (devon636)
First, I never want to see MacG in full voodoo face paint ever again.
I liked that part! happy.gif :

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 12:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I voted excellent! This is a great episode. I love mama Lorraine and the voodoo stuff.
Personally I loved Mac all painted up. It's like the voice is ten times deeper and stronger when I don't really recognize his face.

MacGyverGod
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 06:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It's like the voice is ten times deeper and stronger when I don't really recognize his face.

*imitates voice* 'You have been deceived and lied to. They possess no magic, only greed. They are your enemies!!!'

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 10:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Yes MacGyverGod I actually have seen a zombie, everytime I look at my face in the mirror after watching like 4 MacGyver episodes in a row! blink.gif
Can anyone just tell me real quick how to highlight in the boxes the words that previous posters have said?The blue words.Thanks.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 10:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

Another one of my favourites! happy.gif

My heart just soars when Mac admits he had more to learn and accepts the candle. That's my Mac!! wub.gif

Devon636: there are two ways. The easiest is by hitting the quote button inside the textbox of the person whom you are intending to quote. Write your text in the textbox prompt, and the quote will be in a textbox of its own below.

Another is to actually place the quotes yourself. This is done by typing "[" quote "]" , place message, and then follow with "[" / quote "]" (without the quotation marks... I only put them here because they would not show up otherwise)

looks like this:
Can anyone just tell me real quick how to highlight in the boxes the words that previous posters have said?The blue words.Thanks.

do some experimenting! wink.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 10:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 5 March 2007 - 10:45 AM)
It's like the voice is ten times deeper and stronger when I don't really recognize his face.

*imitates voice* 'You have been deceived and lied to. They possess no magic, only greed. They are your enemies!!!'

<random>It's that scene that convinced me that RDA could have played a much better Teal'c in the Stargate ep 'Holiday' than he actually did. </random>

Mac

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Thanks Loth biggrin.gif I'll have to practice cuz I can't get it right now...OK folks, back to voodoo and zombie mayhem!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
laarell4241
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Golden Triangle
House:  Apartment

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 5 March 2007 - 01:20 PM)
everytime I look at my face in the mirror after watching like 4 MacGyver episodes in a row!

Only four? When I started watching, I went on a binge and, being a new fan, devoured the first four disks of season one in two days! In the end I drooled profusely and had to be pried out of my chair with a snow shovel. I think then I could've been an extra in the "Night of the Living Dead" without any makeup. tongue.gif

I slowed down a bit now, that the addiction has firmly set in. wub.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 6 March 2007 - 06:52 AM)

Devon636: there are two ways.  The easiest is by hitting the quote button inside the textbox of the person whom you are intending to quote.  Write your text in the textbox prompt, and the quote will be in a textbox of its own below

OMG look at me I'm a genius! Er, I mean Ratty and Loth are geniuses tongue.gif Thanks you guys, you are both the kewlest!!! Okay NOW resume voodoo zombie mayhem...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (laarell4241 @ 6 March 2007 - 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Devon636 @ 5 March 2007 - 01:20 PM)
everytime I look at my face in the mirror after watching like 4 MacGyver episodes in a row!

Only four? When I started watching, I went on a binge and, being a new fan, devoured the first four disks of season one in two days! In the end I drooled profusely and had to be pried out of my chair with a snow shovel. I think then I could've been an extra in the "Night of the Living Dead" without any makeup. tongue.gif

I slowed down a bit now, that the addiction has firmly set in. wub.gif

I can so relate to this ! tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

BTW, found the name of the author who wrote "The Serpent and the Rainbow": Wade Davis. He's written another, similar book called "Passage of Darkness." I looked for these books at the library and couldn't find them, but I discovered that Barnes and Noble has both of them.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 5 March 2007 - 07:20 PM)
Yes MacGyverGod I actually have seen a zombie, everytime I look at my face in the mirror after watching like 4 MacGyver episodes in a row! blink.gif

Oh, that kind of zombie.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 5 March 2007 - 11:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Yes, I have seen a real life zombie too.

It's called my EX. Still gives me the shivers when I think of him.... surprise.gif

Lothithil
Posted on 6 March 2007 - 05:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

My only experience with Zombies is with the kind that you drink!

... I don't recommend them, either... wacko.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 6 March 2007 - 05:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 6 March 2007 - 02:28 PM)
My only experience with Zombies is with the kind that you drink!

... I don't recommend them, either... wacko.gif

I never drink cocktail's, cos they suck most of the time.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Kate Mackay
Posted on 8 March 2007 - 03:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper Red

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I tried to use someone's quote here. But I do not know how that works. If someone would be so kind as to let me know how, I would appreciate it. But anyway, what I wanted to say is about seeing Booker in this episode. I agree with that person about seeing actors come back as a different character. It makes the whole thing less believable. Unless you want to say that when Booker died, he came back and turned evil. And MacGyver just HAD to knock him with his fist in a fight. Because he was so bad. But I just loved the episode otherwise. I love that little ache that my heart feels whenever MacGyver gets affected by whatever bad is going on. Mind you, it doesn't mean I don't love MacGyver. Of course, I will always love MacGyver. But it is what is called a " Whump " when you see the guy that is so cute and lovable getting hurt like that. It just makes me love him all the more . People in my other group would understand that, I hope. Since I learned of that word from them, first. But anyway, yes, I love this episode. A lot.
Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 9 March 2007 - 05:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I tried to use someone's quote here. But I do not know how that works. If someone would be so kind as to let me know how, I would appreciate it.

Than you use the quotes buttons.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll