SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Episode 115 – Squeeze play

A sports legend is forced into stealing valuable baseball memorabilia in order to pay off his gambling debts.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 11 November 2006 - 02:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Nov 11 2006, 05:03 PM)
Episode 115 – Squeeze play

Okay episode made special by DEXTER! wub.gif

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 11 November 2006 - 03:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Only an OK episode Mac? This episode was excellent. Dexter's third and last appearance.
Kent McCord as Novis Reilly was a great casting job.
The fights in this episode are terrific. Novis vs two bad guys, Novis vs Marsh and MacGyver vs Willard.
This episode is also full of actors we all saw before. Another Colton introduction, we saw Marsh in Second Chance as Skinner, Eli in Cease Fire as Head Master and this Willard we knew as Lopat in A Prisoner of Conscience and as Kate's husband in Friends. I also liked Reilly's daughter, Wendy.
This is one of the better episodes of the season to my opinion.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 11 November 2006 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 11 2006, 07:16 PM)
Only an OK episode Mac?

Yes. Sports stories bore me to tears and that yippy sports memorabilia collector whose name I can't be bothered to remember really annoys me. Besides Dexter, the only other thing I liked about this ep was Mama Colton and Mac's interactions with her. The whole bit with the suitcases at the beginning was hysterical.

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 11 November 2006 - 05:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

I thought "Squeeze Play" was a great episode. This episode was set in the sports world- baseball specifically- but dealt more with Novus' problems with the blackmailers and his relationship with his daughter. And of course, the sports action is always great for me, speaking as a guy.
And yeah- we have the third and last appearance of Dexter Filmore and I think he was a great choice for Mac to use to buy the baseball cards. That was really great.
And we have another Colton family member show up- Mama Colton (and Frog the dog!) biggrin.gif
It was a fun episode, especially with Wendy's enthusiasm! And MacGyver had some pretty cool MacGyverisms- figuring out the phone number and all. And I love how he stopped the bad guys- with Novus Riley's great hit! That was awesome! biggrin.gif
And hey- Reggie Jackson is in the episode!!! cool.jpg

And I think by the end of the episode- Novus Riley came out learning a good lesson too. "There's some things it's just not right to put a price on."
sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
thlayli87
Posted on 15 November 2006 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black leather

Did anybody notice at the end where MacGyver throws the ball, that the ball doesn't spin at all. It's a perfect knuckleball. That kind of bugged me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 15 November 2006 - 01:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

What's wrong with a bal that doesn't spin?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
thlayli87
Posted on 16 November 2006 - 10:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

It just looked fake to me. It's pretty hard to throw a baseball and not have any backspin. And if he'd wanted the dude to hit it cleanly he wouldn't have thrown it this way.

Anyway I vote just OK for this episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 18 November 2006 - 09:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I vote good. Dexter was great as usual. The end annoyed me though. Why didn’t they hit the ball through the back of the car window and try to knock the guy out or something rather then hitting a sign and relying on it to fall?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DannyMac
  Posted on 18 October 2007 - 08:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Outsiders, & 70, 72,75,79

huh.gif

Sorry if this has already been talked of, but I've just been watching this ep, and it got me thinking, how soon was the Net available to the general public, and if not by an early version of the internet, how did Mama Colton use her computer to track stuff down, and how did Dexter expect the dodgy sales guy from that shop to track down the cards he wanted..? (It all sounded a bit like ebay!)

Bethany xx

unsure.gif

When SG1 started to be shown over here, it took this then stereotypical Trekkie a while to open up to the Universe of the Stargate - But thank God it got me in the end!!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 18 October 2007 - 11:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Before the net there where things called BBS's (bulletin board systems)

They worked pretty much in the same way as this site works, the main difference being that anyone wanting to log in had to make a direct connection (via modem and phone line) to the BBS computer.

Most people who ran BBS's invested in multiple phone lines so they could have several people logged in at once.

These systems talked to each other on a daily basis (usually in the wee small hours of the morning) to upload and download messages, emails and indexing information... these BBS systems eventually evolved into the hubs which now form the internet.

In the two cases you mentioned above, Mama Colton was probably accessing some sort of law enforcement network, which would have basically been a group of maybe bounty hunters and police computers working in the way I described above.

The card hunt with Dexter would have involved a card collectors group. These kinds of "user groups" are what really drove the evolution of the Bulletin Board services into becoming the internet.

SO.. after all that geek waffle... those scenarios where based on current technology for the time the episodes where filmed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DannyMac
  Posted on 18 October 2007 - 11:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Outsiders, & 70, 72,75,79

Cool...

The family spent all night thinking of when the first 'net' tech would have been widely available...Guess Mama Colton went & invested in some kind of modem!

B xxx happy.gif

When SG1 started to be shown over here, it took this then stereotypical Trekkie a while to open up to the Universe of the Stargate - But thank God it got me in the end!!!

Liz1976
Posted on 24 August 2008 - 05:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3

Mama Colton is an awesome character!!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 28 October 2008 - 06:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

Only good thing in this episode is Dexter. I hate Coltons (Billy is a good character but other Coltons are extremely irritating). I also hate baseball and the plot involving baseball cards feels lame and childish.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
elavia
Posted on 18 April 2009 - 09:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

QUOTE (Jack Thornton @ 29 October 2008 - 02:55 AM)
Only good thing in this episode is Dexter. I hate Coltons (Billy is a good character but other Coltons are extremely irritating). I also hate baseball and the plot involving baseball cards feels lame and childish.

I agree 100%, but the only good thing about this episode is Dexter...

Beachbead
Posted on 19 April 2009 - 06:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I agree too loved Dexter in this one.

Makedde
Posted on 7 July 2011 - 11:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

LOVED Dexter in this one! RDA plays him so well.
Loved Mama Colton, and the part with the suitcases at the start? Poor Mac didn't realise how heavy they were and had to haul them up the stairs. Hahaha that made me laugh out loud!

I don't usually like sports episodes, but this one was really good.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted on 3 October 2011 - 04:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Does anyone remember the name of Ma Colton's computer? I think it was named after a philosopher or something. It's been bugging me for days now.

Thanks.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 October 2011 - 02:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Alexandre Dumas (Alex for short) - "Named after the black French writer who wrote The Three Muskateers"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 6 October 2011 - 06:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Wow. That just gave me a flash back to the days when people named their computers. laugh.gif

I remember it was quite common. Computers where treated as if they were intellegent beings which needed names to individualize them or something.

Interesting how our view of these machines has changed over the years.

When you're out of resources, it's time to get resourceful. ~ Harvey Mackay

PM                                                                     
BrakeFluid
Posted on 26 October 2011 - 06:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders
House:  Loft

My best friend's mother in high school had e-mail as early as 1987. She was then a programmer for Digital and is now a VP at Hewlett-Packard. I remember seeing printouts of her e-mails to and from her boyfriend. So that's one aspect of this episode that didn't even give me any pause at the time, even though I had never been near any such thing myself.

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 6 February 2014 - 07:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Jack Thornton @ 28 October 2008 - 10:55 AM)

Yeah, I think I'd have a harder time identifying with it had I not grown up in the baseball culture. But I did and collected baseball cards til they came up my ears. Every day at recess, we'd all pair off with other collectors and fling them against the school wall, those whose card came closest to the wall, won the lot.

I don't collect baseball cards anymore, but I'm heavy into sports autographs & game used collectibles which was the real raison d'etre of those Squeeze Play thugs. Not that far fetched really - google 'OJ Simpson memorabilia' for starters if you think the trading of these goods is all kiddie stuff. wink.gif

Love the 1990 timeline of this too with the bulletin board trading in high gear, the www a year away, ebay & amazon a mere 5 years from entering the scene. And a cameo by Mr. October himself. Great episode!!!!!

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

John Litteral
Posted on 7 February 2014 - 07:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

I love the episode, other than the extremely far fetched part where Mac throws the ball for Novis in order to hit the sign and for the sign to come down and stop the bad guy. Of all the least likely things that happen on the show that one was the worst in my opinion.

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

Joe SAKic
Posted on 7 February 2014 - 07:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

lmao. I fell asleep the other night in the middle of the scrap in the factory and missed the very end of it. You're right, absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to have some of what they were smoking the day they came up with that macgyverism. laugh.gif And wasn't that the million dollar ball that Mac hurls away? - surely scuffed, cut and or burnt after nuking the scoreboard the way it did - the 4th of July has nothing on that fireworks display.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

Myrtle Groggins
Posted on 29 December 2015 - 08:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
House:  Second Loft

Not bad, but it seemed better in my memory.

The plot is a little flat, has a diabolus ex machina, and you can see things coming when you look at the time.

"I hope high school science has a place in real life!" - Laura Holt

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll