Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Just found this rather interesting interview with RDA on the set on the 200th episode.

Read the full article here

-- snip --

A true television icon firmly embedded in the American consciousness as "MacGyver" and now as "Jack O'Neill," Anderson has been subject to the whims of broadcast nets. Back in the early '90s, UPN nixed his beloved Legends after only 13 episodes. "Potentially it was a wonderful romp, with elements of comedy, fun contraptions, historical referencing and theatre of the absurd," he says wistfully. "But we really weren't allowed to feel out where we could go with the show."

"One of the reasons they gave us for not picking it up beyond the 13 was that the show was 'just too dusty,'" he recalls, his voice tinged with dismay. Anderson was recruited to Stargate SG-1 by John Symes, previously a Paramount executive involved in MacGyver who later became President of MGM Television Worldwide. "Part of what John did out of the gate was demand a two season pick-up [from Showtime]..." says Anderson. "....then, in the middle of the first season we got another two year pick-up. So, before we finished our first season, we had an 88-episode commitment."

Through season eight, Anderson also served as executive producer and his sensibilities are imprinted on the show. "I was truly afraid if we tried to do what Kurt Russell and James Spader did in the movie we weren't going to be around for very long," he says, "When Symes approached me I was clear that I needed the production to become our own Stargate."

Anderson says he "exercised the elements" of his title by editing scripts and scenes. "I would make changes on the fly, improvising dialog and collaborating with the directors to make my character lighter, less serious."

It never occurred to Anderson that Stargate SG-1 might someday reach the 200 episode threshold. "There are so many variables that can undermine your best plans. We just did our job as best we could. We continued to put out a quality product and we were fortunate enough to have a very cohesive, synchronistic cast."

A single dad, Anderson reduced his commitment in seasons seven and eight and finally stepped back entirely last year to focus his energies on his daughter. "I left the show specifically to be with, at the time, my six year-old daughter. She was in great need of having my presence in her life." Now that his daughter is a little older, Anderson is easing back into life on the set. He confesses that he "missed the communal feel of Stargate and the familial air that permeates our set."

After agreeing to participate in the 200th, when asked if he'd like to guest on even more episodes, he says his response was "'absolutely' and adds, "I'm extremely happy to come back for whatever they wanted this season."

-- ends --

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll