Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

If he had broken his arm in the fall they should have shown it being cast or wrapped or something to explain it. They wrote a line to explain how MacGyver's clothes changed from when he passed out to when he woke up the next morning, so you'd think they would do the same to explain his arm injury.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 06:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 13 August 2013 - 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 14 August 2013 - 01:16 PM)
to lesson the F=MxA equation factor.

The F in that equation stand for Fracture laugh.gif

or = Fun! nasty.gif Depends if you're the 'giver' or 'receiver' of the punishment. wink.gif

Incidentally, there was a policeman (who had given me a 'few' traffic violation tickets in the past) and happened to play on a rival team in our local recreational league once upon a time. The beauty of the sport is that you can really 'paste' & 'wallpaper' another player 'legally' into the boards - if/when you ever get a chance and, of course, they happen to have the puck in their possession.

And so, let's just say that I eventually got a bit of payback for those, imo, petty road infractions. whistle.gif harhar.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 06:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 13 August 2013 - 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 14 August 2013 - 01:16 PM)
I played some very competitive hockey over 30 years (at college and the senior level)

I know this is off topic, but as a fellow hockey lover I just have to say that I absolutely love your user name! laugh.gif Go SAK AND Sakic!! biggrin.gif

Oh, thanks NewMacFan! biggrin.gif Mac's love for hockey and SAKs absolutely had to be honored somehow, someway me thoughts ..... & then I started thinking Joe 90 unsure.gif , Joe Cool unsure.gif , Joe Camel unsure.gif ...... Joe SAKic! w00t.gif party.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

Rocket
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 11:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 15 August 2013 - 10:46 AM)
If he had broken his arm in the fall they should have shown it being cast or wrapped or something to explain it. They wrote a line to explain how MacGyver's clothes changed from when he passed out to when he woke up the next morning, so you'd think they would do the same to explain his arm injury.

It would have made more sense, wouldn't it! doh.gif

Then again, having rewatched it, Mac's holding his wrist rather than his shoulder when Ahmed finds him and Mum does indeed ask him whether it's his arm that's hurting him, to which he replies, 'Just the shoulder,' so she has a look and decides it's poker time... blink.gif

I dunno, maybe it's implied that he's broken his arm in the fall or it could just be dodgy storytelling!

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 03:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Did anyone else notice how nonchalant MacGyver was with the death of that guy that came back to the house? He didn't even seem to care that he was dead. The way he just rolled him over with his foot, he didn't care at all. This is a real contradiction to the whole "life is precious" undertone of this episode.

MacGyver is harping on about he didn't kill the solder because he didn't have to, meanwhile he was the direct cause of a man's death and couldn't care less about it. ohmy.gif

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 03:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really like this episode so I've watched it quite a bit. You're right that you have to look really close to notice the difference in the way his wrist bends. They did a good job hiding it. I have looked for it in this case which is why I noticed.

As for the arm injury, yes the Afgan lady does ask if its his arm or shoulder, plus the Russian soldier reports to his superiors that the American was shot twice, once in the arm and once in the shoulder.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 06:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 15 August 2013 - 11:02 PM)
Did anyone else notice how nonchalant MacGyver was with the death of that guy that came back to the house?

Aye, I did.
It does seem out of character, though perhaps an implied thug/rapist falling on his own gun doesn't seem like such an injustice...
Even so, I'd have expected Mac to turn him over carefully.

I dunno, it does seem un-Mac-like. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I admit it seems unMac-like about his reaction to the guy's death, but we also have to remember that at the time Mac is Very injured. Chances are even Mac would not quite be himself having just been shot twice and crash landing a hang glider. hmm.bmp

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 08:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Mela_007 @ 16 August 2013 - 03:06 AM)
I admit it seems unMac-like about his reaction to the guy's death, but we also have to remember that at the time Mac is Very injured. Chances are even Mac would not quite be himself having just been shot twice and crash landing a hang glider. hmm.bmp

That's true.
The combination of shock and pain from being shot and (possibly - jury's still out!) breaking his arm in the crash could make him behave out of character.
Also, injured as he was, maybe bending down and lifting the guy over carefully just wasn't possible.

Dunno hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

We've seen him pretty badly knocked around before, but he always maintains that high level of regard for life. It just didn't seem to be there at all in this scene.

PM                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 09:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rocket @ 14 August 2013 - 08:53 PM)
it's the third episode in which he's got the cast on it!

Really? What's the third one? I think I must have missed it huh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 09:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 16 August 2013 - 05:25 PM)

Good Question. I don't recall seeing a cast on his arm in The Enemy Within which would have to be the first episode. I've only seen it in Every Time She Smiles and To Be a Man.

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 11:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 16 August 2013 - 05:43 PM)

Good Question. I don't recall seeing a cast on his arm in The Enemy Within which would have to be the first episode. I've only seen it in Every Time She Smiles and To Be a Man.

Aye, I only noticed it because someone else mentioned it in the nitpicks...

There's a scene in 'The Enemy Within' where Mac is in the hospital, eating something (egg roll?). He has his jacket draped ever so casually over his arm, but if you look carefully it's actually hiding the cast on his arm doh.gif

Must have been a pick up shot taken after the rest of the episode had been filmed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 12:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Interesting! That pinpoints when the injury happened. wink.gif

But begs the question of how, because I don't think they have breaks between episodes do they? Or maybe they do? Anyone know for sure?

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 01:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 16 August 2013 - 08:41 PM)
But begs the question of how, because I don't think they have breaks between episodes do they? Or maybe they do? Anyone know for sure?

I'm copying this across from the nitpicks on 'To be a Man'. OldFan seems pretty sure how it happened:

QUOTE (Oldfan's comment in the nitpick topic for this episode)
Remember the episode that came right before this - Everytime She Smiles... Mac had the cast on his hand and wrist. And he joked about skiing in the Alps... and in this ep. his hand and wrist were again shown bandaged up. That was real. RDA has actually broken his wrist several weeks prior, in an accident - a celebrity charity skiing tournament. The filming takes a break in December and January and that's when it happened. I remember reading about it in TV Guide magazine. OK, OK... it was January of 1986, but I DO remember it. They did a good job covering it up in To Be A Man - in the beginning when Mac bails out of the plane... he's got on black gloves and the flight suit that cover over the cast pretty well. But later on, you can see - if you look closely - it's a cast - peeking out of the sling. Looks like he was able to move his fingers slightly, but not the wrist.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 07:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Skiing seems the most likely cause - albeit he does seem 'very' accident prone (and what's all the chatter on the internet about usage of pain killers?).

In a 2002 interview with Vicky Gabereau, he seems kinda surprised that he 'wasn't' injured in his latest skiing adventures ... which seems to indicate that he's been injured in the past while tackling the slopes.

VG:  He's an odd little chappie but he does quite well on the TV, Richard Dean Anderson and what did you do to your - you broke some bits or - or something.  You hurt your knee?

(tact is NOT this woman's middle name!!)

RDA:  (clearly astonished at what she's just said.)  I broke my 'bits'?

VG:  You broke your - hurt your back.  You broke something.

RDA:  You want the laundry list?

VG:  No, but you hurt yourself.

RDA:  (very matter of fact)  Oh, rec -  most recently I had my third knee surgery. I don't know when it was, in  March or so, so yeah, I'm better now.

VG:  When did - how did you do that?

RDA:  Ummm, oddly and ironically I'd been - it was last winter I was - I had had one of the most aggressive years of skiing - seasons of skiing I'd been to Banff, I'd been Heli-skiing, I'd been racing, big crashes, the whole nine yards,  a really nice season. (VG and the audience gives a little titter of amusement)  Not ONE injury,  Not - nuthin.  Ah, except ego.  And that mended nicely.  I was carrying my daughter into her ballet class -

VG:  Carrying her?

RDA:  Well, it was off a parking lot so I carried her across - we were, you know,  got into this hallway and  caught my foot on a nail that was sticking out - it snapped my foot back - let me get real graphic, all right (VG is already looking a bit squeamish)

VG:  Yeah.

RDA:  (really rapid delivery, working it while VG is grimacing and not looking at him)  Snapped my foot back, dislocated my knee, my knee, my foot is pointing backwards so I swing it and pop it back in, it POPS back back in (he's looking right at the camera now) What time does this air?

Full interview HERE

Rocket
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 09:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 17 August 2013 - 03:02 AM)
Skiing seems the most likely cause - albeit he does seem 'very' accident prone (and what's all the chatter on the internet about usage of pain killers?).

He does seem accident prone - I think he's one of those people who just shouldn't go out without wearing a suit of armour!
I can sympathise with that because I'm a bit accident prone myself blush.gif

I should think he does creak a bit with the number of knocks and scrapes he's accumulated over the years, but chatter on the internet about painkillers? What's the story there?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 03:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 17 August 2013 - 03:02 AM)
(and what's all the chatter on the internet about usage of pain killers?).

High powered pain killers for his last lot of foot sugary were the main reasons for his massive weight gains a few years back.

There's a discussion here somewhere about it, but I think the basic story is that foot surgery (or the kind he had) is one of the most painful surgeries to endure and the specific painkillers he was on during recovery have a side effect of causing weight gain and this coupled with his mobility (can't do much when you can't stand up) lead to the big weight gain.

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 04:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

The Vicky Gabereau inteview was from 2002. She continues to pry in on the accident/pain thing and asks him (for all intents and purposes) if he's in chronic pain .... which he says 'yeah' but states that he doesn't take anything for it anymore .... which might imply that he had had some sort of dependency on something in the past.

RDA:  Two days later I had surgery to piece it back together and it shredded the (medial meniscus? - that's what it sounds like) so it's um, the third one so I'm you know, I'm just getting bored with the process now.

VG:  Yeah, well, you're practically the bionic guy now.

RDA:  (again, very matter of fact)  Yeah, back surgery, two broken arms, to  three knees, feet -

VG:  Do you hurt all the time?

RDA:  Well, that's kind of personal, but -

VG:  Well, do you hurt all the time?

RDA:  (dissmissive, like it's no big deal, a little cross, almost) Yes, yes, yes.

(I can't believe she asked him this question.)

VG:  So, you're in pain all the time.  Do you take anything?

RDA:  (very quickly)  Yeah, No, not any more.

VG:  You don't, eh?

RDA:  No.  Well, an anti-inflamatory if I NEED - really - my neck -

VG:  If you're going crazy.

RDA:  My neck locked up a couple of weeks ago in ah...at work.  And I was literally - and there's an episode, if you can all find it, where I'm turning like this (and he demonstrates turning his entire upper body as one unit to look around rather than just turning his head), when the bad guys are coming.  Again, saving the universe with a stiff neck.  But
that's -

(this gets a big laugh)

Joe SAKic
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 05:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 15 August 2013 - 07:02 AM)
Did anyone else notice how nonchalant MacGyver was with the death of that guy that came back to the house? He didn't even seem to care that he was dead. The way he just rolled him over with his foot, he didn't care at all. This is a real contradiction to the whole "life is precious" undertone of this episode.

I had to go back and look at the scene as I didn't notice anything unusual about it at all in first passing. He used his foot because he was in upper body pain and quite likely in shock. Additionally he knew the extra dangers that the presence of the 'body' represented and he had much bigger fish to fry in a finite period of time. What to do? Let the boy, soon to be a man, to handle it all and in the Muslim tradition. Perfect.

KiwiTek
Posted on 16 August 2013 - 08:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 17 August 2013 - 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 15 August 2013 - 07:02 AM)

I had to go back and look at the scene as I didn't notice anything unusual about it at all in first passing. He used his foot because he was in upper body pain and quite likely in shock. Additionally he knew the extra dangers that the presence of the 'body' represented and he had much bigger fish to fry in a finite period of time. What to do? Let the boy, soon to be a man, to handle it all and in the Muslim tradition. Perfect.

My point here is that he was directly responsible for the death of someone and he never even registered, yet all through the episode there was a strong message of "preserving human life". And any other time through the show if anyone died in his presence it was like his best friend had died.

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 17 August 2013 - 03:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 17 August 2013 - 04:46 PM)
My point here is that he was directly responsible for the death of someone and he never even registered, yet all through the episode there was a strong message of "preserving human life". And any other time through the show if anyone died in his presence it was like his best friend had died.

The more I think about this, the more it does seem like a really 'wrong note'.

If Mac had meant to knock the guy down/out with the gas cylinder, you'd expect shock and dismay when he found that he was actually dead, even though he hadn't shot him himself.
If he'd meant to kill him with the cylinder (which would itself be out of character, but just possible as clearly Mac was in no condition to fight him), you'd still expect him to express regret that he'd had to do it.
High regard for life (even sleazy, villainous life!) is so much a part of his character that I don't think any amount of shock or pain could dislodge it completely.

Write it off as a first season, still getting into the character kind of mistake I guess hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 17 August 2013 - 06:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Well ... there easily could be a political angle to it. Don't forget that the US had poured billions of dollars in arms into the Afghan mujahideen by then and the war was still ongoing in 1985/86 ..... and the deceased was a rapist and Class A scumbag to boot. Thus showing any degree of concern/compassion may well have had it's repercussions and drawn ire from those still heavily involved (somehow) in the conflict. As it was Pakistan was clearly portrayed as the good guys and the Soviets and Soviet-loyal Afghans - the bad guys. Under the circumstances/era ... I think it was handled very well.

-----

Incidentally, the climax where Mac engineers the rock fall is very reminiscent of how Capt Kirk deals with the Gorn in the Star Trek TOS episode 'Arena'. In fact both episodes were shot in the very same location @ Vasquez Rocks outside of Los Angeles.

NewMacFan
Posted on 18 August 2013 - 07:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rocket @ 16 August 2013 - 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 16 August 2013 - 05:43 PM)

Aye, I only noticed it because someone else mentioned it in the nitpicks...

There's a scene in 'The Enemy Within' where Mac is in the hospital, eating something (egg roll?). He has his jacket draped ever so casually over his arm, but if you look carefully it's actually hiding the cast on his arm doh.gif

Must have been a pick up shot taken after the rest of the episode had been filmed.

You're right!!! I entirely missed that the first time! headbutt.gif Thanks happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 18 August 2013 - 07:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rocket @ 16 August 2013 - 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 16 August 2013 - 08:41 PM)

I'm copying this across from the nitpicks on 'To be a Man'. OldFan seems pretty sure how it happened:

QUOTE (Oldfan's comment in the nitpick topic for this episode)
Remember the episode that came right before this - Everytime She Smiles... Mac had the cast on his hand and wrist. And he joked about skiing in the Alps... and in this ep. his hand and wrist were again shown bandaged up. That was real. RDA has actually broken his wrist several weeks prior, in an accident - a celebrity charity skiing tournament. The filming takes a break in December and January and that's when it happened. I remember reading about it in TV Guide magazine. OK, OK... it was January of 1986, but I DO remember it. They did a good job covering it up in To Be A Man - in the beginning when Mac bails out of the plane... he's got on black gloves and the flight suit that cover over the cast pretty well. But later on, you can see - if you look closely - it's a cast - peeking out of the sling. Looks like he was able to move his fingers slightly, but not the wrist.

Thanks for this too!! At least some of the mystery is solved now happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 22 March 2014 - 11:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Watching my way through this season again. I'd forgotten just how funny it is when Mac bats the bad guy in the face with a shovel roller.gif
Also I love how relieved Mac looks when he sees that the shovel ploy has worked!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 9 October 2015 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Did you guys ever notice in the shot before the kid introduces himself to Mac while escaping one of the horses in the stream just falls over along with the actor? Some of the others are looking back to see what happened.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted on 10 October 2015 - 06:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

I never notice things I should tongue.gif I do love this episode, though. As I'm working my way through them all for a second time, I'm finding my choice of season 3 as my favourite in my profile isn't true any more. There are so many I like from most of the seasons, it's unfair to try and judge!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 27 October 2015 - 09:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

not one of the great episodes I'm afraid. average I'd say

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 27 October 2015 - 10:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

I really liked the movie, and it was great to see how Mac aced it in the father figure role. I liked the Russian Sergeant in the end scene....he really gave a great impression of the "other side" being human too. It must have been a revelation in 1985! I remember how it was...not a whole lot of good news coming out of Afghanistan then.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll