Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

MacGyver On Ice
a book review by Lothithil
Containing some very minor spoilers, this is my highly opinionated dissertation concerning this hard to find novelette, offered for the possible edification of adventure-minded affectionner of MacGyver.

The heart leaps a little when you first hold the book in your hand; it seems so small to convey part of a story of one for whom I have seen so much potential, so many untold stories. Of course, I waited for nearly a month to receive it after I won the auction and was allowed to purchase it, and before that, I was cursing and stamping my feet because I had been outbid on the first auction and was afraid that I’d never get another chance to obtain it.

I wanted the book to be thicker, heavier, muuuch longer. I am a reader epics, I zealously dive into large series of books; adventures and mysteries by Cussler and King, science fiction from Azimov through Zalazney, slanted histories of America and Europe through the eyes and pens of Mitchner, Jakes, and Cornwell. These chaps don’t stop writing a book until they see five or six hundred pages done. And don’t even get me started on Rowlings! That woman doesn’t slow down until there is a world-wide paper shortage!

(*chuckles* Just kidding Ms. Rowlings… please don’t sue me! *begs*)

Anyway, for a short book, ‘MacGyver On Ice’ delivers a colourful, action-filled adventure. There I also a wonderful amount of feelings and thoughts—our man of action is easily seen doing his daring-dos, but it is much easier convey the cognitive process on paper that it is on screen. I think that is why I miss the ‘voice-overs’ from the early seasons of ‘MacGyver’, as they demonstrated that Mac is as good with his mind as he is with his hands. In the pages of this book, we can look inside his head and through his eyes, feeling his pains and compassions. Mark Daniel offers us a possible background story that reveals MacGyver’s motivation, and while some are radically different that the conceptions that this fan has devised, I do not find them altogether implausible.

The story seems to take place somewhere in the misty vagaries between the first and second seasons, before the Phoenix Foundation became part of Peter Thornton and MacGyver’s lives. I can accept that a person like MacGyver would be in no small part traumatized by the things he had seen—and been required to do—in the Viet Nam war. The arguments around his motivations for resigning as a field agent are sound and reasonable, and I question why the creators of the show did not tap into this possibility themselves. I can only guess that they wanted to keep the story lines up-beat and mutable, so that they could have the character of MacGyver growing and changing, rather than to lock him into a preconceived or stereotyped persona. Understandable, but sad, in my opinion. I think solidifying such facts could have given his character even more depth and movement.

Things are taking place early in the development of MacGyver’s character, so I find it easy not to take umbrage to attitudes or actions that don’t fit with the MacGyver who has evolved within my mind. At the beginning of the story he comes across as both anti-social and friendly. This contradiction works beautifully, creating highs and lows in the terrain of this reader’s mind; an obstacle course, if you will, where plots can run and hide and jump out to surprise you. MacGyver in the book rapidly proves himself to BE MacGyver, leaving this reader able to trust the author and enjoy the story, accepting the weird threads along with the true, and working them all into the embroidery of the fabric of the story.

I had a strong initial reaction to the presentation of Peter Thornton’s character, who seemed rather more brash, crass, and hard-edged than I picture him—but after I took into account that Pete had to go over some rough times, like sharp rocks carried down a river and getting the ragged edges smoothed away as it rolled along… I found that I could accept this vivid, fiery character as our beloved Pete; passionate, patriotic, tenacious, dedicated… and utterly devoted to MacGyver. The author portrays him as a little too far ‘gone to seed’ for my tastes, as I feel that Pete was very much a vital part of field activities for the DXS during this period of time.

The new faces in the story, antagonists, bit-players, love interests, competitors—all are fleshed out and colourful and capable of defining themselves through their actions without all the bulky back-history that tends to slow down the story (although I am one who rather enjoys bulky back-histories and stuff like that!). Also, I have always enjoyed an antagonist who is motivated by more than just greed or wickedness. Such a character can be empathized with, even if I reject his ideals and actions. That makes a good Bad Guy, someone for me to hold up in comparison to the hero, and I think it greatly enhances the story.

Locations are beautifully described, in terms that I, as an amateur writer, can only one day hope to emulate. Daniel delivers descriptions of the Arctic world, with all of its dangerous beauty and grandeur, which this girl from Kansas can only imagine… he helps me to imagine it all very vividly and clearly, so much so that I can nearly smell the snow and feel the encroachment of hypothermia as I huddle in the snow trenches with Mac and Silva.

I’ve been told more than once that I “have way too much imagination”. A book is more to me than a collection of pages printed with ink. It is a launching pad, a platform from which I can crouch and spring forward, diving into a pool of imagination or flying through the atmosphere of probabilities… and I realize that writing a good story is quite easy if your audience is intelligent and expressive. A skilled author will set us up and then let our minds fill in the blanks, dress up the sets, detail the costumes, and breathe life and warmth into the characters. If I have learned anything from reading this book and reflecting on my experiences here and in the other forums I inhabit within the æther, it is that as a writer, I should be more trusting of my readers and try not to overtell my stories.

My thanks to Mark Daniel, wherever and whoever he is now, for writing this novel and publishing it, and also my thanks to the Ebay godlings for letting me get my hot little hands on a copy of it!

cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 4 May 2007 - 10:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

What a wonderful review! How small the one I have written now seems to me!
You found such wonderful words, you really should do that for a living (criticize books, I mean).

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 4 May 2007 - 06:16 PM)

I wanted the book to be thicker, heavier, muuuch longer. 

Yeah, me too! <sigh> Especially when I had come to the last page much too soon.

In the pages of this book, we can look inside his head and through his eyes, feeling his pains and compassions. 

That is exactly the reason why I like to read books in general and fanfiction in particular so much. Nowhere else you are so up close and personal with the hero's thoughts, feelings, doubts and fears.

Daniel delivers descriptions of the Arctic world, with all of its dangerous beauty and grandeur, which this girl from Kansas can only imagine… he helps me to imagine it all very vividly and clearly, so much so that I can nearly smell the snow and feel the encroachment of hypothermia as I huddle in the snow trenches with Mac and Silva. 

He definitely knows his stuff, and I learned a lot about surviving in cold conditions myself! You never know when it will come in handy!

My thanks to Mark Daniel, wherever and whoever he is now, for writing this novel and publishing it

You know what, I really thought about tracking him down and sending him my thanks personally. It wouldn't be the first time I did this, by the way. Last time seven years later the phone suddenly ringed and the author talked with me for quite a while!

You didn't say anything about the little twist at the ending? Did you see it coming? I was certain that all went much too smoothly. And I liked the unusual solution of the problem!

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 4 May 2007 - 11:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites

To tell the truth *cheesy grin* I haven't finished it yet. But I'd never want to give away the ending, anyway. I'm on page 115 and the end is coming up waaaay to fast! I'll send you a PM when I get done and let you know my reaction!

(((Astra))) I'm plugging away at "Yellow World", about halfway through the new chapter. I hope to send you my edits soon. I'm liking yer story, I must say! cool.jpg

Astra
Posted: 4 May 2007 - 11:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Sorry, I did not want to spoil you, I assumed you had finished it already. Of yourse I also tried to be vague about the ending in my review, don't want to spoil any possible readers as well.

Thanks for the beta!

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 4 May 2007 - 01:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites

You didn't spoil! biggrin.gif

MacGyver
Posted: 4 May 2007 - 10:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Nice review! The "MacGyver on Ice" book does seem to be a bit short I guess, when you're used to reading some couple of hundred page long books. But I also read some 150 page books or so...some that are regimented to be so! (like The Hardy Boys series that I love so biggrin.gif )
I could have seen a MacGyver series of books being similar to that- a continuing series of adventures, not necessarily all related to each other- though some could build on others, of course. There's a really great Indiana Jones book series which did this well. I would have liked something similar for MacGyver.
As it is though, I am glad for at least the existence of this one book "MacGyver on Ice" by Mark Daniel. And I have read it and read through it a couple of times over. It is a really wonderful book that I found jampacked with MacGyverisms.
I also thought the characterizations were interesting, but keep in mind the book is copyrighted 1986. That means the writer probably only saw the first season of MacGyver- and if that's the case, many things of MacGyver's character were somewhat up in the air at that point. Thus I can identify with the brash and somewhat sullen MacGyver as the earlier 1st. season characterization. And I could see it for Pete too- though I think both of them softened some throughout the series.
Nonetheless, it's a great read- and yeah, I love the little twist at the end. MacGyver always get through! cool.jpg

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll