DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

OK, so some of you have seen several of the new series now, what's the verdict?

Is it trying to re-write the old?
Do you believe the new actors are the old characters - are the annoying ones - like Jack - still as annoying?
Is it chronologically in keeping with what we already know?
Is it as good as the old series, better even?
Will it make it without RDA?
Should I watch it if I get the chance to?
Is it better/worse than we expected?
etc.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 05:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (Maclover @ 14 November 2016 - 08:48 AM)

Do you believe the new actors are the old characters - are the annoying ones - like Jack - still as annoying?
etc.

Is it trying to re-write the old?Yes & No, it throws the old fans a bone, here & there, but marches to the beat of it's own drum

Do you believe the new actors are the old characters - are the annoying ones - like Jack - still as annoying? Annoying, flippant, clownish, Jack is now pure & predictable, Texas Testosterone.

Is it chronologically in keeping with what we already know? Sort of, but not really.

Is it as good as the old series, better even? Not really comparable in this digital, computerized age where everything is more forced and uniform across the board. There was a make you feel at home, relaxation within the characters facial expressions and tones back then, and they way they interacted, that is long gone in this day & age. The innocence of that era is long gone in this version, and the computer/tech age wow factor that was so bundled together in the original series causes a major hole in the whole experience. I mean even an 8 year old can whack off the back of a computer and do some wire manipulation these days. So, the tech wow factor thing has to be replaced somehow!? And that won't be an easy void to fill .......

Will it make it without RDA? Dunno, it's all about the money, ratings and how their target markets react/relate! It's not bad at all for a Friday night tv show .... but it's missing much of the early MacGyver Magic!

Should I watch it if I get the chance to? Depends on what intrigued you about the series in the first place? If you watched for the tech/macgyverisms, they are still there! If you watched it for the unique ambience/mood set by the music, period camera work, well thought out filming locations, and specific characters - that is either gone and/or a shadow of it's former self. If you watched for it's focus on the main character - this has been diluted in lieu of a more team aspect. If you watched it just to be entertained by a Fresh-faced, DIY, improvisation Hero .... it's still there, go for it!

Is it better/worse than we expected? They've done a good job, and walked a fine line to try and appease the sponsers, old fans, and new fans alike ..... and so as try and stay afloat on a Friday nigh death-slot assignment. I would say slightly better than expected.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
DXS
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 07:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Vitorinox

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Legend of the Holy Rose

I actually want the OLD Jack. The ne'er do well, fly by night airline pilot Jack.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 09:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

- They've certainly changed some things. I remember when the Tomb Raider video game series was being rebooted in 2013, the designers said that they didn't want to make it fit exactly with the original series, but they wanted it to feel like it "shared some of the same DNA as the original." I think that's the approach Lenkov took with MacGyver, too.

- No. These are really new characters with the same names as the old characters. Jack is a very different character (still annoying, but in a different way), Nikki doesn't seem at all like her old self, and there's no way Patricia feels like a younger version of Pete (unless there's something about Pete we never knew! haha!) Mac is the closest to being the character we knew from before, but even he is a re-imagined version of the character.

- Not really. But again, I think it goes back to the idea of trying to "share some of the same DNA," not trying to be the same series. Don't think of this show as a prequel to the original series, because it's not. It's a re-imagining of the series.

- Depends what you like, I guess, but I haven't found anyone yet who thinks it's "as good as" or "better." If you really enjoy gun fights, you might prefer this.

-Lucas Till is okay as MacGyver, but doesn't quite have the charm that RDA did. Still, the rating have been good, so I guess it will last for at least a while.

- Give it a shot. I don't think it's a high quality show (it's certainly not the next "Breaking Bad"), but it's fairly entertaining in its own silly way. However, if you're going to constantly compare it to the original, you will probably be disappointed. You're better off just accepting that this is a new series, with a new interpretation of who/what MacGyver is. Again, do NOT think of it as a prequel. That would be like watching "Batman Begins" and thinking of it as a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman films... it doesn't work.

It feels cheaper (lower budget) than what I had expected, but in terms of entertainment, I guess it's about what I figured it would be.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Riddick
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 05:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Maclover @ 14 November 2016 - 04:48 AM)

etc.

1) Yes, it's re-writing the old by completely changing story lines for all of the characters.
2) No, I don't believe these are the same characters at all. Pete is a woman, Jack doesn't fly and desperately wants to make love to his gun, Murdoc is boring and not even British, and MacGyver LOVES to be called Angus - don't even call him MacGyver! And this new Jack is A LOT more annoying than the original.
3) Nope, they've changed the story lines and chronology from the original.
4) Not even close to the original. It should be called Jack and Angus: The Chronicles of a Man That Loves His Gun.
5) Probably. It seems like there are a lot of people that watch this show even though it sucks.
6) I wouldn't recommend it, but you should consult your physician first.
7) On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a poop emoji.

Miasma
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 06:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Riddick @ 15 November 2016 - 01:51 PM)
and MacGyver LOVES to be called Angus - don't even call him MacGyver!

That's really not true.
He does use his first name occasionally, but nothing in the show indicates that he prefers "Angus" over "MacGyver." Jack, Riley, Wilt and Patricia almost always call him "Mac" or "MacGyver," just like in the original series.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Riddick
Posted: 14 November 2016 - 06:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Miasma @ 14 November 2016 - 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (Riddick @ 15 November 2016 - 01:51 PM)
and MacGyver LOVES to be called Angus - don't even call him MacGyver!

That's really not true.
He does use his first name occasionally, but nothing in the show indicates that he prefers "Angus" over "MacGyver." Jack, Riley, Wilt and Patricia almost always call him "Mac" or "MacGyver," just like in the original series.

If you couldn't tell from the tone of my post, it was a joke. Just like the show.

MacsJeep
Posted: 15 November 2016 - 11:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

I won't try and answer all the questions, I'll just give my honest opinion. If you're expecting anything like the old Mac, don't bother with it. I managed three episodes I think. It might have even been four, but its so awful (to me) that I have forgotten how many and the content already... sad.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted: 15 November 2016 - 11:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

My honest opinion:

I gave up after 3 episodes.

Awful, uninspiring, predictable, lame dialogues, bad acting.

But if other people are enjoying, good for them and all the best.

Not for me.

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 15 November 2016 - 12:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites

Oh, dear it doesn't sound like it has made a very good impression. The trouble is that RDA was MacGyver and the die hard fans are looking for a recognisable character - I know I will be.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tvero
Posted: 15 November 2016 - 12:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Blow Out

I'm simply not interested .All these 'people' leave me cold .

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 16 November 2016 - 05:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

The show is "okay". Nothing to write home about. It lacks the charm of the original, is very anticlimactic and predictable.

Till is okay, but needs more time to shine on his own instead of having his peeps watching over his shoulder all the time.

I've watched all the episodes so far, and haven't said much because I was just so... unimpressed. They weren't awful, just... lacked the depth and sincerity of the original. I keep hoping the next episode will be better... and it IS getting better. But, honestly, if I hadn't been such of a fan of the original, I would have tuned out a long time ago.

That being said, not all the episodes were bad... some of them were really good. But, they're mashed together, making it impossible to feel for any of the character, especially Mac.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Widowmaker
Posted: 18 November 2016 - 11:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
House:  Loft

I think the show has improved and there are ways in which the reboot resembles the original that people don't give it credit for, like making MacGyver a secret agent(which the original gradually deemphasized), frequent MacGyverisms, the opening gambits, the narrations. And I feel like MacGyver is taking charge more and more. He's not just a kid who needs some military guy with a gun to get him out of jams, a lot of times he's getting Jack out of trouble, like the Ghost episode where Jack steps on the pressure plate in the ambulance. He's really starting to remind me more of RDA than he did at first. And I've always found the cockiness complaint unfounded.

But what I'd like to see is this young MacGyver eventually graduating to solo missions, get a little more hardened and matured, going overseas into dangerous regions without any backup.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 24 November 2016 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all

Maybe there are too many questions- just like the others already commented, I gave up on the show since the four episode as it just.... well can't explain but does not generate a positive impression, for what I saw the new crew is not what I wanted to see, Mac is such a role model but in this new series is like restricted and the gun thing... well in any case some ppl mention that there has been some improvements on the show but I watched the new Murdoc episode and I was truly disappointed (x2), in my opinion there is a tendency in which ppl get used to the characters and the dynamics of the show, so they might see improvements with small or minor changes. So if you enjoy it well good for you, if not let it pass as you won't miss anything special!

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 1 December 2016 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I actually found a review that thinks the new MacGyver is better than the original. This is the first one I've seen (though, admittedly, I haven't really put much effort into looking.)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/family-revie...er-nancy-lublin

Why we Love MacGyver

MacGyver is one smart dude. With some sunglasses, nail polish remover, and a lightbulb he proved the growers were using an illegal substance on the grapes. One time, with a hospital needle and some tubing, he made a blow dart to take out the bad guys! He can catch a fish with just a bubble gum wrapper! Our kids think this guy is awesome.

Mom likes that MacGyver never uses guns. (Correction from 9 year old: well, sometimes he uses parts of guns to make cool contraptions.)

Its a kid-friendly show. No boobs. No cursing. Some good lessons about friendship, family, and having a non-quitting spirit. (Warning: my 9 year old didn't like the kissing scenes in those very early episodes.)

Also, worth noting that some big careers started on the original show: Cuba Gooding Jr, Teri Hatcher, and Mayim Bialik (as the rich kid "Lisa") all had recurring roles.

Does the New MacGyver Honor the Original?

Yes. It seems this new (Friday night on CBS) MacGyver is the grandson of the original, Angus "Bud" MacGyver. He carries a pocket knife like the original. His hair is a bit too long like the original (but no mullet.) And he still doesn't like guns. (Mom is bothered by the new MacGyver's mole on his neck and thinks he should get it checked by a doctor soon.)

Some of the old beloved characters are in this new show. The kid favorite is Jack. The Phoenix Foundation is still MacGyver's employer. Spoiler alert: Murdoc is one of the recurring bad guys.

One thing that is new? Technology! The show has integrated modern technology by introducing a new character: Riley. She "hacks all the tech stuff" says my 9 year old, but its nice to see all the non-computer stuff is still the most important part of the show.

So, Which MacGyver is Better? New or Old???

Surprise twist ending!!!! We actually like the new show more than the original. (Except Dad. He prefers the nostalgia. But whatever. The other 3 of us prefer the new one...)

Jack is really funny now. Its nice to have other characters besides just MacGyver. He is no longer solo. "He really works with other people--and we like team work," says the 9 year old.

The new women characters are awesome, says our 11 year old daughter. For example, the new Pete Thornton is Patricia Thornton...and she is smart and kicks butt. She runs the Phoenix Foundation. (9 year old chimes in: And even one of the bad guys is a girl bad guy...and is smart and tough.) The original shows had some women characters too but they were lame, whiney, not useful in a crisis, and wore impractical shoes.

In the first few episodes of this new version, they include captions on the screen explaining the gadgets. That was really helpful. Because we like learning the science stuff. We hope they keep doing that.

Conclusion

Our hope is that the new MacGyver never jumps the shark like the old one. Like, no flashback episodes, please. No dreams. No UFO episodes (like season 6, episode 10. Ugh. That one was a big disappointment.) And, please, no Christmas angel storyline this time.

One request? Richard Dean Andersen, we miss you! Please make an appearance in the new series. MacGyver's love of his grandfather was really awesome in the original (except for the episode when he died and Mac broke out of heaven...oy. That was another jumped shark moment.) We're hoping for Mac and his grandfather Mac to build a bomb together soon.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 1 December 2016 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Yes, it's all valid and if it's anyway representative of any pre-series due diligence, polls, or surveys that producers may have carried out with a target audience sampling - money in the bank!

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

denizen
Posted: 1 December 2016 - 07:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Reviewer CLEARLY was a die hard fan of the original. NOT.

And that is how it is. Lenkov and the gang honoring the so so fans.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 1 December 2016 - 08:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

I think they're 'honoring' the target market of their sponsors. How many of the original die hards are going to run out and buy what the adverts are pitching during any given episode? I'm certainly not, but those that can identify with Jack or Mack or the ladies and their lingo/body language/expressions/preferences de jour, certainly might. It's difficult to wear both your fan hat and (amateur) producer but I often find myself attempting to do just that.

denizen
Posted: 1 December 2016 - 09:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It kind of reminds me of the Mission Impossible story.

The original TV series was a huge success and spawned a continued series in the 80's, although less successful it still had a moderate fan base. Then the movie franchise started by continuing the story further but by making the main hero of the series turn bad. Yup. And they were supposed to honor that too. I still remember Peter Graves saying that he would absolutely NOT partake in the movie if Jim Phelps was made as the villain.

Greg Morris (Star from the original) walked out of the cinema calling it "An abomination".

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 09:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (denizen @ 2 December 2016 - 03:53 PM)
Reviewer CLEARLY was a die hard fan of the original. NOT.

And that is how it is. Lenkov and the gang honoring the so so fans.

Though I do have to agree with the reviewer's point about the "jumping the shark" episodes in the original series. Of course, this series has only had about 9 episode so far, so it's not surprising that we haven't gotten any lame flashback episodes, and they haven't done any silly Chrismtas angel stories, dream sequences, etc. But if this show somehow lasts 7 years like the original did, those sorts of things may turn up in this, too. I hope not. I still cringe when I think of "Good Knight, MacGyver." laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DashboardOnFire
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Reboot Specialist

SAK owned: a red one ;-)

Favorites

QUOTE (Miasma @ 2 December 2016 - 07:09 PM)
I still cringe when I think of "Good Knight, MacGyver." laugh.gif

I like "Good Knight MacGyver"! Yeah, it's silly as hell, and not as fun as surprising (we finally got to know his first name, after all!) when I was a kid, but I still like it. Comparing it to the rest of Season 7, it's still one of my favorites of that Season. And the music is great.

That's always a sign you might be in trouble if your dashboard is on fire...
Currently blogging about the MacGyver Reboot on Dashboard On Fire

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 12:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Good Knight MacGyver is awesome. I love silly episodes like that though. Sometimes real life can be a bit of a drag... and anytime I was feeling a bit run down, I always turn to a silly MacGyver episode, like that or Rock the Cradle.

Most good shows, at least to me, have their fair share of silliness. Supernatural is known for it... and they love to break down the fourth wall. They also jumped the shark around season 7 and onward. They seemed to regain their footing around Season 11, and they're been going strong ever since.

I love shows like that, and Stargate, Xena and Angel/Buffy because they don't take themselves so seriously all the time. Life's hard... laugh it up.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 02:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (DashboardOnFire @ 3 December 2016 - 07:18 AM)
I still cringe when I think of "Good Knight, MacGyver."  laugh.gif

I like "Good Knight MacGyver"! Yeah, it's silly as hell, and not as fun as surprising (we finally got to know his first name, after all!) when I was a kid, but I still like it. Comparing it to the rest of Season 7, it's still one of my favorites of that Season.

To be fair though comparing it to season 7 isn't exactly setting the bar very high is it laugh.gif

Supernatural is known for it... and they love to break down the fourth wall.

That's something which would have worked pretty well in Good Knight MacGyver... except breaking the 4th wall wasn't really something that was done back then - with exception of the Garry Shandling Show which pretty much broke the mold on that.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (DashboardOnFire @ 3 December 2016 - 06:18 AM)
I still cringe when I think of "Good Knight, MacGyver."  laugh.gif

I like "Good Knight MacGyver"! Yeah, it's silly as hell, and not as fun as surprising (we finally got to know his first name, after all!) when I was a kid, but I still like it.

Ok, to be fair, when I first saw it, I did enjoy it. But many years later, when I saw it on DVD, I found it painful. I don't mind episodes that break from the norm ("Serenity" is one of my favorites), but this one just felt so amateurish to me. It was like watching a bad performance at a Renaissance fair or something.

Comparing it to the rest of Season 7, it's still one of my favorites of that Season. And the music is great.

Well, yeah, comparing it to "Honest Abe," "Split Decision," and "Deadly Silents," I guess it's not all THAT bad. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 3 December 2016 - 11:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 2 December 2016 - 05:01 PM)
Supernatural is known for it... and they love to break down the fourth wall.

That's something which would have worked pretty well in Good Knight MacGyver... except breaking the 4th wall wasn't really something that was done back then - with exception of the Garry Shandling Show which pretty much broke the mold on that.

It would have been pretty funny if they did break the fourth wall in MacGyver. I mean, can you image MacGyver trying to figure out who RDA is? XD

They did that with "The French Mistake" on Supernatural. Sam and Dean are in our dimension and caused all kinds of havoc... the best part was them trying to act, and failing.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver12186
Posted: 11 December 2016 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Maclover @ 14 November 2016 - 08:48 AM)

1. Is it trying to re-write the old?
2. Do you believe the new actors are the old characters - are the annoying ones - like Jack - still as annoying?
3. Is it chronologically in keeping with what we already know?
4. Is it as good as the old series, better even?
5. Will it make it without RDA?
6. Should I watch it if I get the chance to?
7. Is it better/worse than we expected?
etc.

While I haven't read everyone's posts I will throw my two cents the numbers will correspond to the questions

1. Yes and I am fine with that.
2. Lucas is fantastic I like the new Thornton. Dalton is ok I can understand the complaints the issue is they took the original character and split him in two with the fun loving brother approach in Jack dalton and all the annoying elements in Bowzer who is he weakest cast members by far.
3. No but again as a reboot I am fine with that I have all 7 seasons the TV movie and the pilot for he sequel series in 03 and I don't need a reboot that follows the original stories every five second in fact my issue with the latter Craig films was all the fan service.
4. Most episodes are better then the worst of the original series however I can only think of two episodes that might be top 5 episode
5. I honestly hope so but I can't say one way or another
6. Absolutely
7. Yes it is far better then I thought cause honestly I feel like a kid again.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
HM1974
Posted: 13 December 2016 - 06:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Unfortunately, for me Richard is irreplaceable and that is why this show is just... not for me. I watched the first episode and it just feels odd to me and very forced. :/

denizen
Posted: 13 December 2016 - 07:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Welcome to MacGyver Online HM1974 smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 12 January 2017 - 02:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Are they breaking the MacGyver code by not having a Thornton running the Phoenix Foundation?

Isn't having a P Thornton as MacGyver's boss part of what we expect from the show?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 12 January 2017 - 05:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Imo, no! But too many switchbacks, twists, and/or mind games can jeopardize the overall integrity of the (any) series.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll