Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Camper

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot and Ghost Ship
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

After watching Countdown again last night, it got me to thinking...what was Mac's salary / year? Charlie Robinson stated that he was getting $25K for going out to the cruise ship. I wonder if Mac was getting the same thing, or as is the case with all government jobs, the contractor was getting paid A LOT more than the actual government employee.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 5 September 2017 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I don't think MacGyver gets a salary. In Enemy Within, he tells Pete that he has other agents that are "on salary". He stressed "on salary", meaning he probably doesn't get one.

According to For Love or Money, he tells Diana that Phoenix pays for his expenses and the rest is just extra.

I'm assuming how it works is his expenses are paid by the DXS and Phoenix, and he gets a bonus from each assignment... which he often uses to help others. In The Eraser, he makes a joke about his bank, so he probably gets some sort of cash allowance, especially since he's always seen carrying cash.

That's just my assumption though. lol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 5 September 2017 - 07:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

I think you're pretty close to it, Jedi.

But I do think Mac does get some monetary (is that how you say it?) compensation. The man needs to do his groceries as well.

Also in For Love Or Money it was said they would get 250.000 dollars each for the assignment. MacGyver donates anonymously 200.000 dollars to Dubcek's cause. So I think Mac kept like 50.000 dollars for himself, that's like his percentage and who knows what he might have done with, donated other causes or invested it. But I don't think there's anything selfish or greedy about it. In the end he did work for that money and donates more than half to charity and probably donated bits of that 50.000 to others and kept enough to support himself: food, trips, relaxation.

In Runners it is also shown he seemed to be carrying a lot of money, more than enough when he paid for his lunch. He's not wealthy or very rich but I think he has enough money on his bank account to live more than decently.

Besides MacGyver has his life on the line more than once. It seems only natural Phoenix would at least offer him a couple of thousands in a pay as compensation. Maybe he just gets the minimum pay and the bonus to compensate everything else or other expenses.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacFan77
Posted: 5 September 2017 - 08:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

Roger that. I get what you guys are saying. I can definitely see him keeping only the bare minimum to get by on and to build a little nest egg and then donating the rest. I would assume he has rent (unless he trades labor for rent). Would he have a Jeep payment or do you think he paid cash for it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 5 September 2017 - 10:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

In The 'Hood, you can see him pay two months of rent cash to Melvin Krasney. Either it was very cheap or Mac has over a thousand dollars in his pockets. I always considered the Jeep to be his, fully paid for by the time we see it for the first time and if not definitely by the third season than.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 5 September 2017 - 01:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Probably better for him just to have a company 'expense account' rather than cashing cheques and doing all those banking chores that would otherwise raise unnecessary flags. I know it's not uncommon for biker gangs, mafia(s) et al to have spouses/mates that work in vehicle registration / financial institutions etc. and where information could be anonymously 'pulled' ..... if need be.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 01:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Seriously now. What would your estimation be on the rent of the 7th season loft? It seemed pretty spaceous and bigger than the houseboat and Mac just plainly paid his first two months rent cash to Mel. It's probably more than I can ever afford. If I paid two months rent, that's about a whole month's pay that goes into that. I'll end up broke.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacFan77
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 03:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

I don't really know...but if I had to guess, that time frame...that loft...that area...$700.00 a month, all utilities paid, perhaps? Total...TOTAL guess.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 04:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

You're also talking about Los Angeles, possibly in a downtown area. Rent is going to be high. I would think he had just given Melvin a check for about $1500 or $2000 for two months. To be honest, that isn't bad for the area, and seems rather typical for a loft like his.

Rent in my area, for cheap apartments, is around $500 - $750 per month... utilities is often paid separately.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 07:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

He owned a Super Chexx ..... and had the space to use it! That makes a statement in it's own right!! Hockey equipment wasn't cheap back then ..... sticks (once a week) $30.00 bucks a pop, ice rental in LA would have been off the charts. I think he did well enough to salt a bit away and keep up his travel, and outdoor excursions. Based on observe lifestyle, he was easily low 6 figures(or commensurate expense account) for living in LA .... back in the day.

MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 08:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

That wasn't a check, that was cash. Mac's carrying over a thousand dollars cash in his pocket? 'Here you go Mel, two months rent, 1500 bucks.' Those landlords sure make money. I think 700 dollars a month seems fair for the area he lived in that time. I once saw an apartment of 101mē meters for 670 euros right here in town with two balconies, a hallway and two bedrooms. That was fair. Unfortunately, I wasn't choosen amongst the renters. You had to write some sort of motivational letter to the owner and he/she would decide if you would fit the profile to live there or something. So now I live somewhere in town, almost half the size but not half the price with none of the space mentioned above.

But like I said, Mac walks around with over a thousand dollars cash in his pocket and no wallet. And he clearly kept 50.000 dollars from the 250 grand he received in For Love Or Money, so Mac is definitely not a bad earner. But maybe this was just an exceptional moment because he knew he had to pay the rent. Could you imagine him in Bitter Harvest having a thousand dollars in his pocket while he spends time with people poorer than him? Or in The Visitor or in There But For The Grace. That wouldn't just be Mac.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 6 September 2017 - 09:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I just looked at that scene and it's clearly a check. What he handed Mel was too thin to be cash and the back was white, like a check.

Paying by check is smart because it proves he paid once the check is cashed. Also, it would be dangerous for Mac to carry around that kind of cash in his back pocket because he could easily get mugged.

If anything, it may be a Cashier's Check, or a check written by Phoenix.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 01:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

If that was written by Phoenix, what an awesome arrangement. It's like they pay for everything. Mac, why did you ever quit there?

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 04:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

It's just an assumption really. I saw it all the time when I was a bank teller. A company may write a check for their employee so the payee knows the check is good. The employee then pays the company for the amount of the check. Banks do the same thing with bank checks.

I doubt MacGyver would allow Phoenix to pay for "everything". Maybe it was a bonus check? I did that once. I got a bonus for staying with my last company for 5 years. I had half the money turned into a check that went to the Humane Society as a donation. The rest was deposited into my savings account.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 06:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Believe it or not, it's actually safer to walk with a wad of cash, rather than do the cheque thing and with wallet. I've worked in many countries and done both ..... the former is the way to go. And especially for Mac who has plenty of street smarts/skills ......

Jediferret
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 12:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Don't forget, ol' street savvy Mac got pick-pocketed twice, had his money stolen at least twice, and got a reprimand from Cynthia about being more careful.

Let's not forget the number of times he was swindled out of cash by his ol' buddy Jack.

I was a bank teller for 9 years, and I saw a lot of stupid during my career. One thing I never advice is keeping a wad of cash in your pocket. It does make you a target, and once it's stolen, it's impossible to track and is generally gone for good.

Personally, I hate cash... which is why I carry very little of it with me. So, maybe I'm just biased. lol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 01:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah, it's a tough call and dependent on many things but for my 'money', it's much safer to have a couple of hundred dollars stuck in your pocket and wrapped around a thin credit card rather than a bulging wallet full of credit cards and ID that screams "I have money!" and that if you should ever lose it, would certainly ruin your day, if not trip.

But to go back and forth to the bank with cash and wallets is a no-no, especially for all the 'spie' types. My boss(es) always encouraged me to take cash and 'if' you ever do get robbed etc., will just simply wire you some more! .... but please don't waste company time going in and out of foreign banks when on business.

MacFan77
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 02:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

Well, if someone ever stole my wallet, they would be just as disappointed as I am.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 7 September 2017 - 07:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung
Jacket:  Brown bomber

As much as I like Mac's different living arrangements, I always thought Jack had it right with his basement "penthouse", complete with motorcycle elevator!! thumbsup.gif I always figured that Mac lived a minimalist lifestyle, and managed to pay cash for everything or trade services. Then again, if you get sent to the Middle East to take out a nuclear heavy water facility, you would surely get paid a decent amount. Those "bonuses" had to add up.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 8 September 2017 - 03:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

MacGyver's line of work is dangerous. Somebody always gets hurt or killed, so yeah bonuses and payment better be good.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 8 September 2017 - 08:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I agree! All that and still generous....I love his lifestyle! To me, that's the pinnacle of success....minimalist living and an exciting way to earn a living!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 03:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Nomad

Since the Phoenix Foundation pays for all of MacGyver's expenses, what do you think that expense account looks like? I can picture Pete filling out the paperwork now. The Phoenix Foundation board says, "Pete, why are you requisitioning 65 rolls of duct tape for your office?!" And Pete just responds, "MacGyver." Enough said. laugh.gif

What about MacGyver's legal expenses? The Phoenix Foundation must have some pretty good lawyers on retainer too, because I'm sure that some of the things MacGyver does are not 100% legal. Like the episode---I think it was "Twice Stung"---where he broke into a police station to plant evidence on the bad guy. And in one episode, I think I remember him sabotaging a federal agent's car. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 04:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Let's not forget about Mac's medical expenses. He seems like the type that knows everyone at the hospital by name... kinda like Tim "the Toolman" Taylor. XD

Seriously, his medical bills can't be cheap. My sister just recently had surgery that was routine and it's cost her $30K for three days. Of course, that's before insurance.

This is why being an adult is fun! lol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 04:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 12 September 2017 - 07:08 AM)
Let's not forget about Mac's medical expenses.  He seems like the type that knows everyone at the hospital by name... kinda like Tim "the Toolman" Taylor. XD

Seriously, his medical bills can't be cheap.  My sister just recently had surgery that was routine and it's cost her $30K for three days.  Of course, that's before insurance. 

This is why being an adult is fun! lol

Oh my gosh, yes! I hadn't even thought about that. His doctors probably don't get paid enough for their jobs. He comes in with broken limbs, concussions, amnesia, gunshot wounds, hypothermia, various things that he's been poisoned with... How frustrating would it be to have the same guy come in time after time? You spend a week curing the guy and the next month, he comes back in worse shape than he was the last time! doh.gif

As a side note, that's probably why Murdoc made that remark to MacGyver in "Strictly Business" about needing HIT's money. He probably has even more medical bills than MacGyver does. laugh.gif
Not to mention that his expense account includes rocket launchers and tiny crossbows, which I'm sure are not cheap.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 07:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

30K for three days, that's outrageous!

But in case of Mac, maybe they're glad to see him come. A happy costumer always comes back. biggrin.gif

I can also understand people might start asking questions. Gunshot this week, blown up the next, poisoned and hits to the head another month, fall from building... Those hospitals must be rich.

It's a good idea to wonder who Mac's general practitioner is, if he even has one. Magnum had Dr. Ibold, who tended his most minor scratch to bringing him back from the dead to almost giving up on him. Than again, one doc is as good as the next.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 12 September 2017 - 10:27 AM)
I can also understand people might start asking questions. Gunshot this week, blown up the next, poisoned and hits to the head another month, fall from building... Those hospitals must be rich.

It's a good thing that MacGyver lives in Los Angeles. I'm sure that in a big city like that, there are a lot of high-quality doctors and medical facilities to choose from. If he lived in my state, he'd be up the creek, because there are really only two cities in my area that have hospitals that could treat the kind of injuries that Mac ends up with. They'd have to ship him off somewhere by helicopter just to keep him alive. And I don't even want to think about how much *that* would cost. unsure.gif

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 12 September 2017 - 10:27 AM)

It's a good idea to wonder who Mac's general practitioner is, if he even has one. Magnum had Dr. Ibold, who tended his most minor scratch to bringing him back from the dead to almost giving up on him. Than again, one doc is as good as the next.

Maybe he has Dr. McCoy tending to his wounds. That would explain a lot. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 12:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I wish I had, Sanguine!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 03:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (Barry Rowland @ 12 September 2017 - 03:24 PM)
I wish I had, Sanguine!!

You and me both! thumbsup.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 12 September 2017 - 05:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:all

but I as far as I remember, Mac is very healthy- he almost never required a doctor unless extreme situations. I think Mac do his job without been thinking on how much he would be able to earn in a specific mission, would would be fair to said that he gets paid more depending on the country/mission hmm.bmp

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 September 2017 - 07:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I think there's plenty of dangerous missions he did for free. Like retrieving the organism in Kill Zone. On the other side, I am curious what could've been his salary in Live and Learn which was I think his least dangerous one. Worst thing that could've happened was the project getting rejected.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll