Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 53 - Hell Week

MacGyver is set to judge a physics competition for his old mentor. But the professor’s son becomes despondent when he fails to win the contest and barricades himself into the lab with a bomb.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 04:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

votes from March 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 1 ] [7.69%]
Good [ 7 ] [53.85%]
Excellent [ 5 ] [38.46%]
Total Votes: 13

Archived Posts

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 28 2005 @ 11:53 PM )
I voted good on this episode. This is unfortunately the only episode set on a college while all the other teen episodes are set in highschool. I liked the school contest as well all these barricades and stuff. Great episode.

Ryman and Son! Ryman and Son! Ryman and Son, yeah!!! Professor Ryman and Professor Son!! 

QUOTE (MacGyver Aug 29 2005 @ 01:08 AM )
I liked this episode really well. "Hell Week" definitely had a great overall message about Professor Ryman who had been so involved in his work that he was neglecting his duties as a father and came down really harsh on his son. So it was really good to see a family reunion at the end. The barricade contest was pretty cool- obviously MacGyver won that in 1973 with no problem! smile.gif And it is neat that we get to see Mac's alma mater and we note that he graduated in 1973.
And of course, he bypassed security alarms to even get inside a room to get to the bomb and he was able to keep the bomb stable while he defused it on the elevator.

Another great episode!

QUOTE (rockatteer Aug 29 2005 @ 11:36 AM )
Interesting to note that the picture used on the "Hall of fame board" is a real picture of him in his earlie 20's. Not one they made for the show.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 30 2005 @ 12:27 AM )
The man had a moustache in his early twenties? What a joke!! biggrin.gif Oh, well, he had everything a man can have of facial hair. Moustache, beards, goatees. 

QUOTE (MacNymph Aug 30 2005 @ 03:38 AM )
Professor Ryman was a peckerwood. He's the kinda guy that doesn't know his kid knows where the keys to his gun cabinet are. Just because his kid wasn't #1 he wasn't good enough.

This is one of those inadvertant social commentary episodes. A Dublane or Columbine before there were such things. sad.gif

But the look into Mac's past was cool.. and so was the contest. smile.gif

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 30 2005 @ 03:46 AM )
Professor Ryman was a peckerwood. He's the kinda guy that doesn't know his kid knows where the keys to his gun cabinet are. Just because his kid wasn't #1 he wasn't good enough.

Professor Ryman was the Russian they saved in Prisoner of Conscience.

QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 30 2005 @ 03:17 PM )
Interesting observation! It's been an awfully long time since I saw this, but I remember it pretty well. Great commentary on parental expectations and how well-meaning parents can take it too far sometimes. I think Professor Ryman was one of those who honestly didn't realize how much pressure he was putting on his son, until it was almost too late. He had always been very driven to succeed, and he basically expected his son to be a carbon copy of him... he was totally oblivious to real life, with nearly catastrophic results.

I do remember the scene with the bomb... great tension there, and all Mac could do was get it somewhere where the damage would be contained. Didn't they wind up getting it into the elevator or something? 

QUOTE (Amy Sep 20 2005 @ 02:28 PM )
This was a good episode. Obviously it makes you think about parent/child relationships. More subtle, I think, is the idea that what you choose to do with your life can have a profound affect on a lot more than you think.

The barricade thing was very MacGyver--the barricades themselves, but mostly how the kids were getting past them--especially magnetizing the locks--very cool.

QUOTE (brent2112 Jan 4 2006 @ 02:52 PM )
Loved this episode, I mean the Dad in this episode should of paid more attention to his son instead of his Job. sad.gif Also that was a great bomb the kid made during that episode !!! biggrin.gif 

QUOTE (penny Jan 5 2006 @ 10:37 AM )
Excellent episode, but does beg a question from me. According to this episode, how old was Mac when he won the contest, and what "degree" did he receive from that school? 

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 7 2006 @ 02:42 AM)
good episode. does anyone remember when his son is on the phone with his dad and his dad says "but david your my son" or something along those lines and janice goes "since when" and david says "yea you tell him janice!!" great scene jump.gif 

QUOTE (rockatteer Jan 7 2006 @ 10:00 AM )
Excellent episode, but does beg a question from me. According to this episode, how old was Mac when he won the contest, and what "degree" did he receive from that school?

Well the http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/timeline.html says he graduated with a degree in science.

BUT in the episode of Flames End he talks to Amy about a physics degree. (I think?)

So I guess its either a general science or a specific physics... my guess would be a general science degree.

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 28 2006 @ 02:32 AM )
great episode i voted excellent. the father and son team are played very well. there is one thing that always bothered me about davids barricade. now i know if i was trying to crack his barricade the or anyone elses the first thing i would try and do is open the door. gotta love the part when the professor introduces MacGyver to the class and he says "MacGyver is not on your level...he was gifted"" harhar.gif 

QUOTE (rockatteer Jan 28 2006 @ 09:53 AM )
Yeah the professor had some funny lines.

I liked the other line where he invites Mac to observe the class...

"You can be depressed along with me."

QUOTE (MacsChick Jan 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM )
I felt sorry for the son in this episode. It's tough watching someone you know struggle with parents like that. Thank God mine were a little bit more understanding! As always, though, Mac saves the day! I also liked the professor's line about him being "gifted." clip.JPG sak.gif That's an understatement!

Other things I noticed:

The professor is the same actor from A Prisoner of Conscience--he played the political dissident MacGyver and Pete save.

I liked how MacGyver, in his own clever way, told that one arrogant jerk student who thought he knew everything off. harhar.gif

MacGyver has got to be the sexiest, least nerdy physics student ever! blowup.gif 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 April 2008 - 06:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

does anyone else think David looks like Helen Hunt?

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 24 April 2008 - 06:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

laugh.gif Rock, you are cruel!

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 June 2008 - 02:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Interesting to note that one of the writers of this episode, Leonard Mlodinow, has a PhD in Physics.

He's just recently written a book about randomness called THE DRUNKARD'S WALK

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 31 July 2008 - 01:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I agree with everything. However, I just watched this one, while waiting for my laundry to dry and I can't help wishing they had done more with Professor Ryman and his son, like a follow up episode, also with the friends of Mac's in Blood Brothers. Delving into Mac's past is fun.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted on 1 August 2008 - 04:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

yea it would be nice to see what happens to david, janice and his father after the incident. Possibly david gets kicked out of school but gets into another where he majors in chemistry? His father changes his actions towards david. Does his girlfriend stick with him? Would make a nice fan fiction.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 1 August 2008 - 05:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Yeah, it's very possible, almost certain, that David would be kicked out of school. He could always apply to another. However getting free of the drug and seeking family counseling for him and his dad would take priority to going back to school. I am uncertain about Janet. She seemed like she was serious enough about David and he about her, but outside of college in real life, who knows.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 29 September 2008 - 11:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

Excellent episode.

Things that I didn't like:

Actually I have no complaints.

Things I liked:

Great plot, Great characters (especially Professor Ryman and Jeffrey Kramer), one of the best bomb defusing scenes and hottest woman we have ever seen on this show; Janet.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 25 April 2009 - 10:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

i would of loved to seen a follow up ep.

SHEILA
Posted on 3 June 2009 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
House:  Second Loft

Anyone know where Mac's college is located? Not where they filmed it. Did he go iaway to school or did he stay in his home state. blink.gif

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SHEILA
Posted on 9 February 2010 - 11:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
House:  Second Loft

OK I have been wonder where Macs college is located in the show. I know it was Western Tech. But was that location ever given in the epo. of Hell Week. I know the real location was in Canada. hmm.bmp

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Geekgirl
Posted on 31 March 2010 - 11:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: unknown

Favorites
Episode:Widowmaker

Just watched this one for the first time in a looooong time....playing hookey from work and just had to watch an episode.

I vote excellent on this one. I enjoyed it when I first watched it in my youth and now really appreciate it even more as a parent. Defintely has a lesson worth repeating - "Spend time with your children and you never will regret it later in life."

I loved the premise behind hell week. I went to an engineering college (aka geek school) and we didn't have anything like this on campus, but man it would have been a lot of fun....Love the fact we get a bit more background on Mac from this episode and we get to see more of his righteous compassion. I love how he talks to Professer Rymand , confronting him about he doesn't see what's happening to David.

A great episode that I won't mind sharing with my yound kids.

“Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, someone changes the odds." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cirubit
Posted on 31 March 2010 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: various

Favorites
Episode:phoenix under siege

And this episode is my favourite of the third season! MacG.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
kiona
Posted on 11 April 2010 - 09:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: /

Favorites
Episode:All of them :)

Do you think that this picture was taken from the times RDA was in Legend ?
user posted image
user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 11 April 2010 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

No. because legend was made after MacGyver.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lostsouls
Posted on 11 April 2010 - 11:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege,Passages

This is one of my favorite episodes in season 3 as well.I like the challenge that students are supposed to create original ideas and to learn more about Mac's background smile.gif (Did he ever fail about sth in his life?=))

"This is one of those times when you go one way or the other and the
rest of your life depends upon which way you pick."

PM                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted on 11 April 2010 - 08:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 5

MacGyver was before Legend.

I think he looks way better without facial hair.

PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN                                                                     
kiona
Posted on 12 April 2010 - 05:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: /

Favorites
Episode:All of them :)

Oh, you're right, MacGyver was before Legend, I didn't know... Anyway, I agree with you about the moustache, I would even say that it's a bit "ridiculous"...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 12 April 2010 - 11:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

Superb eppy. I love it when David asks Mac to bring a six pack when he suggests they talk about things. I guess it's just the way he says it. I laugh every time.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 February 2011 - 08:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SHEILA @ 10 February 2010 - 08:45 PM)
OK I have been wonder where Macs college is located in the show. I know it was Western Tech. But was that location ever given in the epo. of Hell Week. I know the real location was in Canada. hmm.bmp

No I don't believe it ever was. Although it might marry up with the information given in Flames End.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 5 March 2011 - 08:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

This episode is my favourite. I vote it as being excellent. It's the one episode I can clearly remember watching when I was a little kid. I used to refer to it as the 'Mercury Episode' - on account of them defusing a bomb containing mercury.

I love it.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 21 October 2012 - 02:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

This is an "Excellent" episode from my point of view. It has a little bit of everything; suspense, drama and a thought provoking story.

Science contests can be great fun, and watching these creative kids setting up their experiments was a delight.

However, this episode also brings up the downside of competition--this price awarded professor pushing his kid way too hard. It's obvious he hasn't even been present enough to even remember his son's birthday. Even from the beginning, you can see what's most important for MacGyver--he asks the professor about how David *feels*, and corrects him when he starts talking about how he's performing in school... But the professor can't answer the real question!

I think that having parents also acting as teachers for their own children--especially on this level--is always posing a great risk. I'm not a parent, but I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to rate your own kid's performance against the other students! I think it's easy to project your own shortcomings onto your kid--creating a hard to break circle of guilt. You think you've failed as a parent, taking out your anger on your kid, making the kid feeling useless since he or she thinks he/she has failed everyone. And if even those closest to you are disappointed with you, what's the point with life?

It's obvious that David is stuck in that circle, and he's doing everything to make his father love him. When he loses the competition, his entire world is shattered. His drug addiction is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back (I'd say combined with the alcohol, but I seriously doubt he'd be able to put together that bomb under the influence of that much alcohol!)

There are some things that *have* to be overlooked while watching this episode, but it isn't really a problem with me. But, to mention some of them--I really doubt any college/university would have that much equipment in store, furthermore to be used by any student as a common practice (without being a part of a research project).

You can tell that this episode was written by someone who has some knowledge of physics, but in all honesty, not all of the barricade inventions were based on physics only (well, in a way, everything in this world is, but not that kind of physics that might have been intended for this experiment). David's solution was ingenious--but he also took great risks. OK, considering that the periscope image surely was far from perfect, but it's often rather easy to tell the difference from a model shot and the real thing. Today, it might have been different since he could have made up an accurate computer animated image with the opener moving in real time.

However--even if the garage opener was visually pushing against the door--what were the guarantees that anyone wouldn't have tried to open the door regardless? It might have been a fake blocker, and really, it's a very unscientific reaction to try the door--yet, it is rather human. Humans are soo illogical... ooops, wrong series, sorry. blush.gif

But anyway--I think that had it not been for the fact that Geoffrey mentioned that he knew it was an optical illusion *before* he tried opening the door, they wouldn't have had any reason to accuse him of cheating, since they couldn't prove anything. He would easily have been able to shrug it off as a case of human intuition.

However, they need to be able to tell the story in just 47-48 minutes... tongue.gif

I also found it interesting that they kept dangerous amounts of Plutonium in what seemed to be low-security facilities at the school... that seemed a bit improbable to me. Well, I'll try to ignore that. wink.gif

Anyway--the point is, MacGyver is a show that evolves much around science--but the moral of this episode, and what's clearly always the most important thing to MacGyver, despite his high degree of education--is that relationships and family always should come first. Some of you who posted in this thread have speculated about David's future. Well, I think it's rather safe to assume that he might have been forced to change schools after going through some kind of rehab, but to be honest, I think his potential of succeeding in life (whatever path he'd choose to take) will become much greater after going through all this--and sorting things out with his dad, once and for all... Sometimes, those things *will* require drastic changes.

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 21 October 2012 - 04:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I really doubt any college/university would have that much equipment in store, furthermore to be used by any student as a common practice (without being a part of a research project)
What equipment are you referring to?

I also found it interesting that they kept dangerous amounts of Plutonium in what seemed to be low-security facilities at the school... that seemed a bit improbable to me. Well, I'll try to ignore that.
Well we don't actually know what security there was on the labs where it was held. But then I'm not sure why your saying about security on a physics lab?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 21 October 2012 - 05:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

What equipment are you referring to?

I think the lab equipment in general; tools, machinery, materials etc. Of course, some of it is necessary for their classes, but considering that even scientists working with government funded projects sometimes have a hard time financing their equipment, I just got the impression that this school was a little on the generous side. smile.gif

Well we don't actually know what security there was on the labs where it was held. But then I'm not sure why your saying about security on a physics lab?

I should have included "safety" in that sentence too. I just found it a bit odd that they didn't keep the Plutonium in the basement instead of the top of the building, or at least high up. Come to think of it, it was a bit odd that they didn't evacuate the building as soon as they heard about the bomb threat...

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 21 October 2012 - 07:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 22 October 2012 - 01:46 PM)
I think the lab equipment in general; tools, machinery, materials etc. Of course, some of it is necessary for their classes, but considering that even scientists working with government funded projects sometimes have a hard time financing their equipment, I just got the impression that this school was a little on the generous side. smile.gif

I didn't. We played with stuff like that in high school. It wasn't out in the class all the time but when we needed it for specific lessons it was brought out of storage. So I have no problem believing that a university would have properly equipped science labs.

Remember also that being a university, the students would be going for higher level and specialized doctorates and diplomas which would increase my expectation of seeing well equipped science labs even more.

I should have included "safety" in that sentence too. I just found it a bit odd that they didn't keep the Plutonium in the basement instead of the top of the building, or at least high up. Come to think of it, it was a bit odd that they didn't evacuate the building as soon as they heard about the bomb threat...

Yeah true. It does seem more like a plot device than a reality doesn't itl... I often think to my self when watching this episode "who would want to be in the lab under (or above) the nuclear research lab... that stuff's radioactive ya know! They must have lead lining in the floors and walls surely?" laugh.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 22 October 2012 - 06:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?

I mostly like this episode, especially for the glee of all the Bright Young Students competing at cleverness.

But the plutonium and the "threat of radioactive contamination" -- NO. Just, no. Blatant use of gratuitous handwavium to crank up the stakes to a ridiculous level. The part just makes me cringe.

As far as the Very Well-Endowed Lab goes: I get the impression that the university itself is roughly based on or inspired by MIT, as far as the emphasis on having the Best of the Best, in terms of students, faculty, and physical plant. In a top-flight US university, you can get an amazing feedback loop going: the Very Good Students become Highly Successful Scientists, the institution gets handsome donations and bequests, it buys better equipment and hires better teachers, beefs up its research facilities, lures in Famous Scientists, lands Massive Grants, buys better equipment, draws better students, graduates another round of future Nobel winners . . . and the beat goes on.

My own father did his doctorate at Cornell back in the 1950's, and had Freeman Dyson on his graduate advisory committee. blink.gif Dyson was a baby physicist at the time: in one of his letters to my mother, Dad referred to him as a 'wunderkind'.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
freakofnature
Posted on 20 January 2013 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Jacket:  Leather Biker

This is the first episode I remember watching when I was a kid. I'm watching through the entire series right now and none of the other episodes before this one ring a bell. I remember seeing David and thinking "Hey! He's from the Edison Twins!", which was another show I watched a lot back then. biggrin.gif

Duct tape miracles
Sweet Swiss Army knife escapes
Murdoc never dies

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 1 August 2013 - 08:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif Mac's skill in bomb disposal were viewed and the human story of son resenting father because of his devotion to his career made for a good story.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 21 June 2014 - 09:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

I like how fast Mac flinches back in the lift when he thinks the bomb is going to go off. Reasonable response and all that, I just love how fast he moves! biggrin.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll