Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 15 - The Enemy within

MacGyver is assigned to help protect a defector, who can identify the killer of DXS agents, but finds himself unravelling a plot to use his brainwashed DXS friend to kill both him and the defector.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 09:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from 22 March 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 5 ] [45.45%]
Good [ 5 ] [45.45%]
Excellent [ 1 ] [9.09%]
Total Votes: 11

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Nov 29 2004 @ 12:42 AM)
I voted OK for this episode. It's not a bad episode but it isn't good either. Nice lady that Viktoria Tomanova. Very beautiful for her age. 

QUOTE (sonyab Nov 29 2004 @ 07:58 AM )
I voted excellent.. I loved this one.. The beginning when his friend saved him but then the car was messed up so Mac fixed it awesome!  He had to protect that women who is half his age.. Mac's friend's wife she was creepy when after she brainwashed her husband to kill MacGyver this guy calles her and says when is he ready? The way she said NOW! was creepy ack!  That women that Mac had to watch over he kissed her argh!!! In order to trust him he had to kiss her? Come on! Not believeable! Loved the end when he saved his friend with a macgyverism!  Way to go Mac!!!!   

QUOTE (abitcrazy Nov 29 2004 @ 01:41 PM )
This one was OK. I liked the opening part but after that things didn't seem to mesh very well. I wonder what it would have been like if the enemy within would have been an older woman with an older agent. The defector would have been the younger one. I always thought it was kinda werid that Mac would be so attracted to Victoria. Interesting story line though! 

QUOTE (rockatteer Nov 29 2004 @ 01:46 PM )
Yeah actually that always kinda creeped me out, that Mac would be attracted to an older women?

Or maybe she was ment to be the same age, but just looked older? She seemd more like Petes age to me though

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Nov 30 2004 @ 03:43 AM )
Maybe he likes women with experience? 

QUOTE (rockatteer Nov 30 2004 @ 08:23 AM )
EEEeeeeewwwwwwww. 

QUOTE (MacGyver Gal Nov 30 2004 @ 09:47 AM )

Yeah...I agree. That's the one thing that I didn't like about this episode. 

The best part was the beginning with Mac fixing the car. 

QUOTE (rockatteer Nov 30 2004 @ 09:59 AM )
I quite liked th thing with the truck and the water making immiscible fluid (smog)

QUOTE (zhennu Nov 30 2004 @ 11:56 AM )
I was just...confused on why Mac would like Viktoria, who appears to be an older lady. o_O And to MG's comment..."EWWwww...!" oO

I liked the electrical shock in the end. ^^ Very MacGyverism-like. =) 

QUOTE (MacGyver Nov 30 2004 @ 02:41 PM )
Well, the opening was definitely awesome! MacGyver fixed the brake lines on a moving car! That was a great MacGyverism! 
I also thought the homemade defibrillator MacGyver made was great too. Plus, we see that MacGyver apparently likes He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. (He has a figure from the cartoon. I believe that would be the orange spider-looking figure he holds up while packing.)

Yes, it was a good episode. John Wayne couldn't have done it any better!

QUOTE (rockatteer Nov 30 2004 @ 10:14 PM )
There’s one thing that annoys the crap out of me in this episode.

Macs friends name was Craig.

Yet the whole way through the show they kept calling him Creg or Greg, but definitely not Craig.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Dec 1 2004 @ 04:21 AM )
How do you pronounce it then? Craig, Creg, Greg? It's like in Lethal Weapon how do you pronounce Mel Gibson's character? Riggs or Ricks? It's written as Riggs but do you pronounce it as Ricks? 

QUOTE (sonyab Dec 1 2004 @ 04:50 AM )
The charactor's name was Riggs.. 

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Dec 1 2004 @ 06:56 AM )
As if I didn't know that but it's the pronouncing of it. 

QUOTE (MacGyver Dec 1 2004 @ 11:43 AM )
Craig Bannister. That's the name of MacGyver's fellow DXS agent. Who, by the way, also showed up in "Friends", along with his wife if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they called him "Craig".   

QUOTE (rockatteer Dec 1 2004 @ 11:56 AM )
when you listen to it they are saying creg all the time.

Drives me nutty!

QUOTE (sonyab Dec 6 2004 @ 07:51 AM)

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Nov 30 2004, 05:43 PM)
Craig Bannister. That's the name of MacGyver's fellow DXS agent. Who, by the way, also showed up in "Friends", along with his wife if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they called him "Craig".   

No not his wife.. He was at the party alone in the friends episode. His wife was bad and went to jail.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Dec 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM )
That's where she belongs. In jail!! 

QUOTE (MacGirl May 31 2005 @ 06:19 PM )
There were a couple of things I got a kick out of in this one. Loved the opening sequence when Mac fixes his friend's car. I'd always remembered that, but could never remember which ep it was from.

Liked the candlestick defibrillator... just cool. One of those things that might actually work!

And my favorite moment... Mac's at his apartment, packing, and arguing with Pete. Pete says something about the apartment being "a dump" and Mac shakes a big toy spider at Pete, saying, "Dump? Pete, you have NO taste!"

Gotta love it! 

QUOTE (rockatteer May 31 2005 @ 08:52 PM)

I'm pretty sure they called him "Craig".

Maybe its an accent thing.

Liked the candlestick defibrillator... just cool. One of those things that might actually work!

Didn't Mac hook those sticks up using the speaker wires..... they don't carry enough power to be able to even feel agaisnt your skin, let alone defibrillate.

If he hooked it into the power socket in the wall.... then we would be talking!

QUOTE (Amy Jun 1 2005 @ 06:01 AM)

And my favorite moment... Mac's at his apartment, packing, and arguing with Pete. Pete says something about the apartment being "a dump" and Mac shakes a big toy spider at Pete, saying, "Dump? Pete, you have NO taste!"

Macgirl--I loved that part, too!

QUOTE (MacGirl Jun 7 2005 @ 02:50 PM)

QUOTE (rockatteer @ May 31 2005, 08:52 PM)

Didn't Mac hook those sticks up using the speaker wires..... they don't carry enough power to be able to even feel agaisnt your skin, let alone defibrillate.

If he hooked it into the power socket in the wall.... then we would be talking! 

Well... true. I think it was one of those MacGyverisms where the concept was right but the exact details weren't. (Similar to the plugging-the-acid-leak-with-chocolate-bars stunt in the pilot ep.)

QUOTE (Amy Jun 7 2005 @ 11:51 PM)
I keep thinking that the car scene where they're winding down the nountain road--part of it is used in another episode--I think Every Time She Smiles? Just seems like the same car and same stretch of road to me, but I'm not 100%. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention--car chase scenes are among my least favorite in anything--probably why I don't like Theif of Budafest as much! 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 1 August 2007 - 08:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

One of the lines from this episode has always aroused my curiousity as a collector of quotes, phrases, idioms, and clichés. When Mac says to Pete and Craig: "Six, two, and even..."

I never knew where that phrase came from... until today.

I was watching 'The Maltese Falcon', and I nearly jumped out of my skin to hear Humphrey Bogart say the same words:
"Six, two and even, they're selling you out, sonny."

According to the phrase search I used, this phrase refers to odds in a bet.

Just a little useless information, but it tickled me to know that Mac was using a phrase from an old Sam Spade movie! happy.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 August 2007 - 12:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Ahhh.. I wondered about that too. I guessed it had something to do with odds, because thats the context it was used in, but I'd never heard it before that episode, and I don't bet, so is kewl to know what it means now.

smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverluver
Posted on 1 August 2007 - 05:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widomaker

That's funny I've seen 'The Maltese Falcon' (at least most of it) and I have no recollection of that line in there, please refresh my memory. Thanks. biggrin.gif wink.gif cool.jpg

An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop."
Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."
"I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age."

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 1 August 2007 - 09:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

This is quoted from a source called 'Phrase Finder':

In the movie The Maltese Falcon, Humphrey Bogart uses the phrase: six two and even.

The full quote is: "Six, two and even, they're selling you out, sonny."
The phrase refers to odds in a bet.

The quote is said by Sam Spade to Gutman after Gutman has tied up Sam.
Gutman threatens to kill Sam if he doesn't give up the location of the bird.
Gutman and his friends are on shaky ground and Sam says:

"If you kill me, how are you gonna get the bird? And if I know you can't afford to kill me, how are you gonna scare me into giving it to you?..."

Gutman thinks about it and realizes that his "friends" are probably going to give HIM up so he strikes a deal with Sam.

MacGyverluver
Posted on 2 August 2007 - 08:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

Thanks Loth! I guess I missed that part.

An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop."
Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 3 August 2007 - 04:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 1 August 2007 - 10:15 AM)
One of the lines from this episode has always aroused my curiousity as a collector of quotes, phrases, idioms, and clichés.  When Mac says to Pete and Craig: "Six, two, and even..."

I never knew where that phrase came from... until today.

I was watching 'The Maltese Falcon', and I nearly jumped out of my skin to hear Humphrey Bogart say the same words:
"Six, two and even, they're selling you out, sonny."

According to the phrase search I used, this phrase refers to odds in a bet.

Just a little useless information, but it tickled me to know that Mac was using a phrase from an old Sam Spade movie!  happy.gif

I had to go dig out the quote in its full context in the episode:
--------------------------------------------------------
Mac, Craig and Pete were leaving the hospital after the autopsy scene, discussing Rev. Mather’s death. Mac was insisting that the death could not have been coincidental.

Pete: He was up there with a hundred people watching him.

Mac: Well, that makes it harder; but six, two, and even, somebody killed him.
--------------------------------------------------------

This was a fun one to research. (Depending on what you think is “fun”.) rolleyes.gif

The expression specifically originated with horse racing. Most of what little I know about horse racing comes out of Dick Francis, and it didn’t include details of how bookies calculate and give odds; but that’s where “six, two, and even” comes from.

In betting on horse racing (and probably other forms of racing), odds are given for each entrant to win, place, or show – in other words, come in first, second, or third. “Six, two, and even” means a bookmaker will give 6:1 odds on a win, 2:1 odds on second place, and only even odds on third place. In the gambling world, these are incredibly safe odds. The bet is so certain it’s almost boring, in fact – no professional gambler would waste time because the payout would be inconsequential, and no-one would bother to bet against it because it’s a loser’s bet.

Just why this particular set of odds became the catchphrase for a certainty, I haven’t been able to find out, but it did, and seems to go back at least to the 1920's in that usage. As Loth found out, it was used in The Maltese Falcon in 1941, and also became a pet buzzphrase of a prominent major-league baseball coach and manager, Joe Michael Morgan. From Morgan it has passed into sportwriters’ lingo, where it seems to be used in an increasingly context-free manner, by writers who have less and less grasp of the meaning; in that field, it’s mostly a code phrase indicating that you “get” New England major-league baseball in general and the Boston Red Sox in particular.

So between Bogart and Boston, it’s a tough guy’s way of saying “Count on it” that has a flavour of the gambling underworld, a reference to classic Hollywood cinema, a reference to pro sports, and a faint trace of mathematical calculation to it. Is that a rich expression or what?!?

'Beth

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 3 August 2007 - 04:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Riddle well solved! Your research skills leave me in awe! clapping.gif

I love finding out the meanings and origins of such phrases! happy.gif

MacGyverluver
Posted on 3 August 2007 - 06:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

Wow, 'Beth. That must have taken a while. Good hunting.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 4 August 2007 - 04:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverluver @ 3 August 2007 - 07:37 PM)
Wow, 'Beth. That must have taken a while. Good hunting.

Many thanks! It would have taken less time if I hadn't waded through so many red-herring column-inches from sportswriters who just used the phrase because it had a vague association with baseball.

But I love getting my teeth into a good research hunt, especially if it involves language usage. biggrin.gif

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 14 October 2007 - 09:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

I went back and re-watched this episode twice. After some consideration, I rated it OK.

I really liked the opening of this episode. It was full of action, the fast paced totally Mac at his best. I loved the wild ride down the road, the MacGyverisms with the vehicles. Too bad the episode started falling apart after their return to the Phoenix Foundation.

I noticed for the first time that this episode established that Mac was working for the Phoenix Foundation before Pete. At least that's how I'm interpreting that exchange between Mac and Craig Bannister where they are discussing the new director.

I liked the one liners and the exchanges between Mac and Pete as they adjust to their new roles as boss and subordinate within the dynamaic of their previous friendship. I do think that MacGyver's refusal to accept an assignment was a little lame considering the excuse he used. He eventually came around to his boss's request, but it felt really contrived and I think it detracted from the story.

The premise of the story is pretty good, but some of is was awkwardly written and poorly acted. RDA and Dana Elcar did a good job, and the actor portraying Craig Bannister wasn't too bad. The one character that really irritated me and kept me from rating this episode as good is Ingrid. She is so shallow and vapid, she makes me crazy. Some of her scenes feel like she is reading cue cards held by an assistant standing of stage. This actress just doesn't have the strength to carry out the evil villain.

The other thing that kept me from giving this a higer ranking than OK was the way cardiac emergencies and life saving measures like CPR and defillibration were portrayed. Sorry, I teach this stuff and it bugs me that it wasn't a little more accurate. Granted, no one is going to perform CPR on a conscious person. However, once Mac and Craig started working on the priest, they are by law obligated to continue until emergency medical personnel show up, or they are too physically exhausted to continue. As common as CPR training is in the USA, this is a glaring oversight.

The candlestick defibrillator, while a cool idea, would not have worked witht he speaker wire. Not enough current to tickle, let alone jump start a heart that is not beating correctly. Defibrillation works by stimulating the heart into a rhythmic electrical pattern so that it begins beating properly. It will not start a heart that has stopped beating completely. Ventricular fibrillation is a condition where the heart muscle is quivering rather than contracting in a predicatable regular rhythm.
A shock with an electrical source will help jump the heart back into its normal pattern.

Mac's candlestick defibrillator makes for a great story, however it is unlikely to work in a real life situation. In addition, he would likely have electrocuted himself. The rubber matting he cut and used as grips for the candlesticks would not have protected him.

Overall, this episode wasn't as bad as I originally remember. After watching it again, it din't completely suck. It wasn't the best of season 1, but it wasn't the worst either.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 15 October 2007 - 06:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

RE: MacGrrrrrl's review:

I think the candlestick apparatus was not meant to shock Craig's heart into beating, but rather to break the magnetic current that was causing the nylon fibers to form in his body, blocking the flow of blood.

Remember the stuff they found inside the deceased padre? Mac explained to Victoria that a magnetic field (which the little button thingy with the flashing red or blue lights that the Russian agents were weilding turned on) caused the nylon to form in the arteries, cutting off the blood flow and making it look like the subject had a heart attack. Mac explained that an electrical charge would break this magnetic field.

As far as Mac's refusal of the job Pete wanted him to do, in part it was contrived... he was trying to stall to give Craig and his new wife some time together. I think that Mac would have caved in sooner, except that when Pete got a little heavy handed with him, he got stubborn.

I only mention these things in hopes that it will aid in your future enjoyment of this episode, which is one of my favourites.

But I agree about Ingrid... the woman was a mannikin--I've met cardboad cut-outs with more depth and range! rolleyes.gif

Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 15 October 2007 - 10:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

QUOTE (Grrl)
However, once Mac and Craig started working on the priest, they are by law obligated to continue until emergency medical personnel show up,

I know we would get bored watching them do CPR for 10 minutes but they could have cut away and then come back showing the paramedics arriving or something.

QUOTE (Loth)
I think the candlestick apparatus was not meant to shock Craig's heart into beating, but rather to break the magnetic current that was causing the nylon fibers to form in his body, blocking the flow of blood.

Remember the stuff they found inside the deceased padre? Mac explained to Victoria that a magnetic field (which the little button thingy with the flashing red or blue lights that the Russian agents were weilding turned on) caused the nylon to form in the arteries, cutting off the blood flow and making it look like the subject had a heart attack. Mac explained that an electrical charge would break this magnetic field.

That makes sense from what MacGyver says but Bannister arched up as though he was getting a big shock. Maybe that’s something that was misinterpreted between the script that was written and the actual filming?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 15 October 2007 - 11:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGrrl @ 14 October 2007 - 11:22 PM)
I noticed for the first time that this episode established that Mac was working for the Phoenix Foundation before Pete.  At least that's how I'm interpreting that exchange between Mac and Craig Bannister where they are discussing the new director.

I thought that they were both still with the DXS, and that the Phoenix Foundation hadn't yet been introduced (or, in fact, invented by the writers and producers). I guess Pete got two promotions in the first season, once to Deputy Director and then to Director of Operations -- unless that was another continuity hiccup.

But they're still mentioning the DXS right through the last episode of the first season. It's not until the first episode of season 2 that they make a special point of mentioning the Phoenix Foundation and describing it as being 'a civilian think-tank' -- in contrast with a government intelligence service.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 October 2007 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was still with the DXS.

They where still in the federal building, they talked about agents being lost, national security.. and MacGyver refers to "You company guys are all alike." when a couple of them hassle him about his suit.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 15 October 2007 - 03:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good. This episode had a couple classic scenes. happy.gif The beginning with Kareem (Kareem? How many East Germans are named Kareem?) was funny then the escape was action packed. Other than someone needs to teach Bannister how to “pump” breaks it was kewl.

And I loved the scene in the morgue. I really liked the coroner. He was a hard case and I would have loved to see him recur.

Down sides…That Ingrid. She and Craig both were doing okay acting wise until she pushed that button on the alarm clock. So maybe it wasn’t them so much as it was the lame premise and dialogue they were given. A trophy wife she could do… “lethal” spy… not so much.

And a word to Victoria, if you’re going to corral a man into kissing you, be a better kisser. rolleyes.gif Cold dead fish comes to mind. yucky.gif

And last, I hate it when they do superfluous MacGyverisms. Mac made the little spinny gizmo to help Victoria relax, and then never had her look at it.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted on 16 October 2007 - 05:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights

good episode has a funny line in it to. Bannister says brakes seem to be fading, then he says correction nonexistant. I had to discover what he was actually saying because he sounds like he says erection nonexistant. Look at his mouth it even looks like that is really what he is saying.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 16 October 2007 - 06:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 15 October 2007 - 07:30 PM)
And last, I hate it when they do superfluous MacGyverisms. Mac made the little spinny gizmo to help Victoria relax, and then never had her look at it.

She was mesmerized by the movements of his hands.

No, wait... that was ME! happy.gif

Macs_fan
Posted on 19 October 2007 - 01:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Macgyver's Women

I loved the part where Mac and Pete where in his apt. and Mac and Pete are talking and Mac shows him the truss and a sword where he spells out vacation, then the toy spider. Too funny! Cracks me up everytime.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 19 October 2007 - 04:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

As far as storylines go, I find much of this episode intractably silly – any plot involving brainwashing tends to collapse under any level of scrutiny. wacko.gif

But I really like the episode anyway, because it has so many great moments. I love any scene where Mac and Pete are interacting, and there are plenty of those. Add in the razzing over Mac’s rented tux rolleyes.gif , and the scene in the morgue, and I’ll even overlook Ingrid’s alleged performance.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacNymph
Posted on 20 October 2007 - 01:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

When Mac poked Pete with the foil and said "psssssssst' laugh.gif

Pete started to talk and RDA gave a few extra pokes... like he was the pilsbury dough boy. roller.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted on 17 April 2008 - 02:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Boy Scout

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver
House:  Observatory

My biggest beef with this episode is the downhill run-away car scene.

The brake line gets shot and spews red liquid. Craig pulls the emergency brake, it doesn't work, because he says they are out of fluid. Mac reroutes the power steering line into the brakes and refills the brake reservoir with power steering fluid (clear).

First off, brake fluid is clear, and power steering fluid is red, not the other way around.
Second, modern cars have dual cylinder master cylinders, so if a line fails or leaks out, then you'll still have half your brakes (front or rear only).
Thirdly, emergency brakes are cable driven, mechanical brakes, operating on the rear wheels. Even if your back up cylinder has leaked out as well, and you have no brakes at all and no brake fluid (red or clear), you should still have your manual, cable driven EMERGENCY brake.

Lastly, even an automatic car can be manually down shifted into a lower gear to slow down a speeding vehicle.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zigimer
Posted on 30 June 2008 - 10:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hello there from me... I'm a Mac fan for many many years but I'm just discovering your site. It's amazing !!! Congatulations !!!
About this episode. Can anyone translate in english (or in greek smile.gif ) what Mac says in german to the german officer...

Here the dialogue in german...

GERMAN : Halt!
No, Herr MacGyver.
Do not move!
Drop the gun!
(It's OK there)

MAC: Esel! Ich bin ein Soviet officer.

GERMAN : Bitte?

MAC : Und wir muss gehen zu dem Hause, bitte,
for es gehe eine Freunde
sind there in the appelsuss,
or in der Flugplatz.
Und sie ist meinen Frau.

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that,
a fella's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way.

Macgyver, "Friends".

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 30 June 2008 - 10:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Hi there! Welcome! It's great to have people from all over the world here.

I'll try, but I have to admit even though I am from Germany some of this sentence does not make any sense to me, and I don't understand it, either.

MAC: Esel! Ich bin ein Soviet officer.

He calls him "Esel"? Have to listen to it again! Thanks!
Esel means literally "donkey/ass". Can also be used for "idiot".

Further Mac says "I am a Soviet officer" which kinda blows his cover, since he pronounces "officer" in the English way. He should have said "offizeer". And he has an English accent rather than Russian, also.

GERMAN : Bitte?

Please? (meaning: say again)

MAC : Und wir muss gehen zu dem Hause, bitte,

And we (does he say "wir" or "ich"? Then it is "me") must go to the house, please (did anybody see a house there? Weren't they in the woods?)

for es gehe eine Freunde
sind there in the appelsuss,
or in der Flugplatz.

That's the part I don't understand, either. I think he wants to say that he wants to visit friends (Freunde) there in the house or at the airport (Flugplatz). But the grammar is totally weird. I have no idea what appelsuss shall mean. The closest I can come is the English word apple juice, which would be another blow to his cover (apart from making no sense in the context)

Und sie ist meinen Frau.

And she is my wife!

Sorry I can't do better. Have to listen to it again if I understand something different than you. Hope it helped so far!

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 July 2008 - 12:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

roller.gif

It sounds like he's struggling with it even without knowing German, but after reading that translation.. laugh.gif... struggling doesn't really do it credit.

Obviously meant as an injection of humor laugh.gif

imagine what those guards where thinking with the non-sense he was blabbering. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 1 July 2008 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Even though I don't understand German, I always interpreted that scene as humorous, too, especially with the silly upswing in his voice and the goofy facial expression he makes when saying it. happy.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 1 July 2008 - 08:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I like the ep. I just don't like the female actors in this ep. Both in acting and looks.

I also loved the opening scenes, especially when he spoke German. I think that Mac was just being a smartass which is why his German does not make sense. And why the german officers look confuzzled. hehe.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zigimer
Posted on 8 July 2008 - 09:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Thanks to all for your help, especially Astra (your name means "Stars" in Greek). I don't understand German too, but I was curious what they say, so I was found the dialogue in a subtitle file and I cited here, if anyone can translate it. smile.gif

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that,
a fella's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way.

Macgyver, "Friends".

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 27 March 2009 - 05:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

Don't get me wrong, but that Russian woman was far from being attractive and I hate to see Mac had to kiss her, TWICE!! The scene could have been prettier if Mac is kissing a more beautiful lady. And for Ingrid, her facial expression on the tape was too "cardboard" -- didn't someone in the previous post mentioned "cold and dead fish"?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll