Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Sean A. (sam) Malloy
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character?
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
user posted image [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
user posted image [ 7 ]  [25.93%]
user posted image [ 12 ]  [44.44%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Miasma
Posted on 27 August 2009 - 08:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Beachbead @ 2 April 2009 - 03:15 AM)
first and foremost I like alot of us did not expect to see MacGyver have a child more less a son. hes just no the type of guy you find sleeping with every woman, he has to fall deeply in love with the woman before he goes to that stage.

Early on in the series, he seemed to be a lot more "active." Remember his conjugal visit with that woman in The Escape? You'd never see that later on in the series. In Season 1, it seemed to imply that he hooked up with a lot of the leading ladies.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 August 2009 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Escape? you mean The Gauntlet? Kate the journalist?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 7 April 2010 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Maybe SAM is really Murdoc in disguise, getting Mac to go on a road trip with him so he can get him out into the middle of nowhere and kill him. He did have a camera after all. nasty.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 April 2010 - 11:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

laugh.gif Nice theory. smile.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SHEILA
Posted on 7 April 2010 - 09:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft

I always though that Mac really loved Kate .In the seen were he and Sam are talking Mac has a hard time saying the words that he loved her but Sam spoke up and said that Kate loved him too.

I also though that Mac never really sleeped around but dated a lot. He did have a lot of girl frineds in college. I also was thinking that it was only a matter of time before a kid would show up. Things happen in life. But you never know.

Season 7 was very bad in ways. You can really tell everyone was getting tired and the magic of the show seemed to be gone. There were mistakes. Also the writers really did not know what to come up with for a good epo in season 7.

[url=http://www.macgyveronline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2520=Any thoughs on this ? anyone[/url]

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsLegacyLiveForever
Posted on 3 October 2011 - 04:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Eagles, Passages

QUOTE (macsgirl1 @ 7 May 2009 - 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 7 May 2009 - 11:17 AM)
I think a daughter would have been more of a shock then a son. clip.JPG

A daughter would have been an interesting challenge for Mac don't you think? hmm.bmp

Yep lol I have always loved the idea that Mac would have a daughter too. happy.gif

I have wondered that why she didn't ever told Mac that he had a son? Does anyone know? hmm.bmp

And I love Sam, and the actor was great choice, he looked just like he could be Mac's (or RDA) son lol biggrin.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

"I guess the way you look at the world depends on where you are. From up here it looked like a pretty nice place."

"When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that ... a fellow's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way."

"Goodbye, Grandpa."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 3 October 2011 - 06:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Hell Week

QUOTE (MacsLegacyLiveForever @ 4 October 2011 - 12:26 AM)
I have wondered that why she didn't ever told Mac that he had a son? Does anyone know? hmm.bmp

Probably because Mac moved around a lot, he was impossible to track down.

Personally I think Mac moved around a lot to avoid the child support. tongue.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 3 October 2011 - 09:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Who do you mean by she?

Remember Sam's mother was killed in China when he was young.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacsLegacyLiveForever
Posted on 3 October 2011 - 11:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 4 October 2011 - 05:13 PM)
I have wondered that why she didn't ever told Mac that he had a son? Does anyone know?  hmm.bmp

Who do you mean by she?

Remember Sam's mother was killed in China when he was young.

Well of course I remember that, I just wondered why Sam's mom never told to Mac that he had a son before she died.

I have wondered that whether she would have been able to find Mac through Phoenix Foundation? hmm.bmp Or else she thought that because Mac always traveled a lot around the world....hmmm....but still Mac had right to know. I think it's really sad that she never told that to Mac, maybe they would have ended up together and she wouldn't have died in China who knows. I think Mac would have been shocked at first but he certainly would have had take care of them.

"I guess the way you look at the world depends on where you are. From up here it looked like a pretty nice place."

"When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that ... a fellow's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way."

"Goodbye, Grandpa."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 4 October 2011 - 12:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Sam explains why when he's telling the story to MacGyver.

I forget the exact wording but it was something to do with she thought MacGyver wasn't mature enough or ready to be a father.

I think there's some discussion about it way back in the early pages of this topic. I think most comments were disagreeing with her decision.

PM                                                                     
MacsLegacyLiveForever
Posted on 4 October 2011 - 12:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 4 October 2011 - 08:17 PM)
Sam explains why when he's telling the story to MacGyver.

I forget the exact wording but it was something to do with she thought MacGyver wasn't mature enough or ready to be a father.

I think there's some discussion about it way back in the early pages of this topic. I think most comments were disagreeing with her decision.

Thanks! happy.gif smile.gif

She really should have had to tell Mac. I believe that Mac would have been great dad. happy.gif

"Goodbye, Grandpa."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 4 October 2011 - 01:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I think if MacGyver found out he had a son, and would of had to drag him to place to place, or leave him with Pete or Niki would of made MacGyver's female fans not so happy with the show, the writers wrote Sam, in,in the last episode to tell his fans MacGyver finally grew up enough to take care of his son.

In the movies we never once saw Sam with MacGyver, so the question is what happened to Sam did he marry, die thats the hot question on my mind.

Makedde
Posted on 4 October 2011 - 08:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

How can they introduce Sam in the last episode as if to say Mac finally grew up enough to care for him when Mac was already the most grown up person on the show?
Its a bit insulting to have the mother of your child say that she didn't think you were mature enough to man up and be a father. I can't remember exactly what Sam said about this either, so I am just going by what KiwiTek posted.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsLegacyLiveForever
Posted on 11 October 2011 - 12:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

QUOTE (Makedde @ 5 October 2011 - 04:58 PM)
How can they introduce Sam in the last episode as if to say Mac finally grew up enough to care for him when Mac was already the most grown up person on the show?

You said it! happy.gif

"Goodbye, Grandpa."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 11 October 2011 - 08:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

I just saw the scene on youtube its between the 19 and 21 minutes. Mac's looking at the pictures and talking with Sam about graduation day and the last time they were together. Than he mentions Kate went to cover a story in Brazil. Presumably she was already pregnant or found out about it during the covering of the story. In the meantime Mac moved around a lot. Don't forget this was during the early 70's considering Sam is like 19 or 20 when he meets Mac. So I wouldn't be so surprised Mac didn't know. I don't think it was so easy to keep track of everyone without cellphones or internet.

She got pregnant and she didn't told him. Maybe that was her choice. Or maybe she loved him so much and loved his ideas of the future, like travelling and having adventures that she couldn't refuse him of not having that. I think that's also what she meant by introducing them to each other when they're both grown up. You have to go out, see the world, learn some new things before you start with children.

I don't think somebody like Kate would accuse Mac of making her pregnant and than just leave like that. She just wanted Mac to have his life the way he wanted it. If Mac knew about it, he would've taken up his responsibility as a father even though he was very young at the time. She didn't tell him, he didn't know, she wen to Brazil, he moved around a lot, they've lost track of each other over the years. So Kate had no choice but to take Sam everywhere where she had to go for her job as a journalist. They end up in China where she gets killed. Sam was being taken care of by friends of her until he was old enough to take care of himself.

A good question by Mac: 'Why didn't you try to find me?' and Sam answers 'I only had the picture of this locket.' He had no name and I think unless you went to the right peoples that tracks peoples down, it's no surprise it lasted so long. Sam could've used the press in order to find Mac, why didn't he than? Another plothole unless money was a problem.

Mac's and Sam's meeting was coincidence.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 12 October 2011 - 02:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Sam could've used the press in order to find Mac

How?

I think the real plot hole is that Kate would have told someone who the father was, most probably one of her friends. And after her death someone in the circle of friends who looked after Sam would have known who his father was, they could have spread the word. They must have had mutual friends between them who would know someone who knew someone who knew someone who knew where Mac was. Or at least had a good idea of where to start looking for him. So from that point of view it's not a very well thought out plot.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 October 2011 - 11:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Like sending a message through the news or something.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
AussieMacFan
Posted on 14 May 2013 - 03:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Wenger Viking

Favorites
Episode:Cleo Rocks
Jacket:  Black leather

She said that she'd introduce them when they'd both grown up. biggrin.gif

"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
-John Lennon

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 09:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif It was a bit of a surprise to find out Mac had a son. Why not base the MacGyver feature film on this aspect. With Pete gone (death of Dana Elcar) RDA would act in the Mentor/ Phoenix boss role with his son carrying on into the next generation. Mac must have had mixed feelings finding out years later he had a son, who was now a young man. I wished they could have explored the father son relationship further.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted on 13 October 2013 - 08:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

Dalton James who played Sam told me that they had wanted to do a spin-off, but it never happened. Anybody else hear about this? I would've liked to have seen a spin off, personally. biggrin.gif

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 14 October 2013 - 07:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams

I know it's been speculated, but I don't think it was ever confirmed. I know some fans figured that was the reason for Sam's introduction, especially seeing as RDA was getting older, and obviously tired of the role (just from what I can gather from interviews).

It's kinda a shame because I liked Sam as a character and would have loved to see more interactions between him and Mac. One can only imagine what kind of trouble those two got into. XD

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted on 14 October 2013 - 02:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

Ditto! biggrin.gif I liked Sam too. And speaking of what sort of trouble they could get into together, have you read Lauren MacFan's "Home for Christmas" on fanfiction.net? It's really great! I made it to chapter 11, but life got in the way and I've yet to finish.

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 14 October 2013 - 02:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Well there was the Young MacGyver spin-off that didn't get picked up. Maybe that grew from the original idea of a spin-off with his son, but somehow got turned into a nephew?

Then again, maybe when Dalton says "they wanted to do a spin off" he really means someone threw the idea out there at some point just as a general suggestion and a couple of people responded "Yeah that might not be a bad idea." laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Grazer
Posted on 26 October 2013 - 08:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:The Eraser

Over all I quite liked Sam. He certainly had a similar thought process to MacGyver. I can't say I really liked the "long lost son" idea at all. It really didn't fit with the show and felt, to me, like it had been dreamed up by someone who knew nothing about the show. I think Sam might have been better to be a long lost half brother to a girlfriend his father had before meeting his mother. They could have split up with him moving to another state or something and then she found out she was pregnant and had no way of finding their father....

Or they could have gone with his father had an affair with someone who turned out to be a bit of a nut job and him being killed in a car crash maybe wasn't an accident at all! evil.gif

"One time we were on a camping trip. This bear ate all our food! I got all wimpy scared, but my grandpa, he said to me, 'Bud. . . we'll just go grazing.'"

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted on 12 November 2013 - 05:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I like your thoughts. These ideas would be great for a fanfic!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Elizabeth MacGyver
Posted on 28 April 2015 - 02:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:the stringer
Vehicle: Nomad

He is my second favorite character!!! laugh.gif

Hi I'm back!!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 9 September 2016 - 03:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

I think it's as obvious as can be that Mac did sleep with Kate C. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had that reaction to her pregnancy.

Maybe he's bad at counting to 9 or maybe she looked further into her pregnancy than she really was.

In a way, there's something to be said for the fact that the writers decided they should have sex. Do you remember the line from When Harry Met Sally about whether men and women could actually be platonic friends? And all the times we thought, yeah, Mac really can just be platonic friends with Penny and lots of other female characters? That's nice? Or is it just me who thought that was nice?

In my opinion, it would be a bit of a let-down if it turned out that they were only platonic friends because Mac had no sexual interest in women (eg was gay or asexual or could only fall in love with inanimate objects or whatever). I think it makes things better if we realise he is sexually interested in some women, but is also interested in many women merely as friends. I liked the film When Harry Met Sally but I think it's a little sad that some people seriously don't think straight men and women can be friends with no sexual attraction.

I realise that there is a flaw in my argument in that there are episodes where there is kissing going on - is kissing not proof of interest in women? I would argue that sometimes kissing is more about curiosity and/or pleasing the other person than attraction. Whereas actual sex makes the point clearer.

As for the question of why Kate M didn't tell Mac she was pregnant, I can only assume that she was completely out of her mind. It would tie him down? Yeah, but it's okay for her to tie herself down? Except she didn't, apparently, get very tied down.

Maybe she thought that if she told him, they would end up married and in dead end jobs and never leaving their home town. It's sad that she may have thought that.

Me, over-thinking things?

whistle.gif

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 9 September 2016 - 03:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 14 October 2013 - 07:05 AM)
I know it's been speculated, but I don't think it was ever confirmed. I know some fans figured that was the reason for Sam's introduction, especially seeing as RDA was getting older, and obviously tired of the role (just from what I can gather from interviews).

I don't know about tired of the role, but definitely tired. From what I read about US TV series, anyone would be tired after 7 years, even if they had less screen time and fewer stunts than RDA.

If this had been a British series, with maybe 6 episodes per year or every couple of years, it would probably have gone on for 20 years ...

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll