Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 54 - Blow Out

Political terrorism hits close to home when Nikki, who accidentally witnessed a terrorist bombing, is targeted by the bomber, who fears she can identify him.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 05:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from March 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 6 ] [50.00%]
Excellent [ 6 ] [50.00%]
Total Votes: 12

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 5 2005 @ 11:22 PM )
Good!!! Liked this episode and his cold. Great episode. 

QUOTE (MacGyver Sep 6 2005 @ 09:55 AM )
This one is one of my favorite episodes. A great episode to see the relationship between MacGyver and Nikki- even though they still are at odds sometimes, ultimately they both care about each other as teammates. And the opening bit with MacGyver's cold is pretty neat too, when he stops the robbers at the grocery store. It was sort of a mini "opening gambit"! Cool! And Bruce Harwood shows up as a villian ("Juice") in this episode. He would later go on to show up as Phoenix employee "Willis" for a few episodes in the 6th. season.

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM )
Oh, one of my all-time faves!! I haven't seen it in quite awhile, but I remember it very, very well. Love the homemade tear gas and the fill-the-truck-with-cement trick. And of course, the tension between Mac and Nikki was just too much. The scene where they're both sitting in Pete's office, and Mac says to Nikki, "You do realize this doesn't mean we're going to be working together?" Love the look Nikki gives him at the end of that conversation! laugh.gif

My other favorite scene was the one right after Nikki has been attacked by the bad guy, and Mac shows up just in time to chase him off. Mac and Nikki are at the houseboat, talking. Mac makes the mistake of mentioning something that is only in Nikki's "file", and she says, "You have... read my file... haven't you?" Mac says yes, and the predictable blowup follows. Then Nikki starts talking about her late husband, saying, "That car bomb was meant for me, not him! Not him... God, not him." Mac comes over to comfort her, and she ends up crying on his shoulder. It's a great scene, because I think it really brings out Mac's protective instincts on the one hand, and Nikki's fierce desire to take care of herself on the other. Good lesson here: sometimes even the strongest of us need someone else's help, and there's no shame in asking for it or accepting it. 

QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 7 2005 @ 01:20 AM )
I voted good.

MacGyber all stupped up *sniff* laugh.gif

And they gave him "bed head" all through the episode. happy.gif

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Sep 6 2005, 09:55 AM)

And the opening bit with MacGyver's cold is pretty neat too, when he stops the robbers at the grocery store. It was sort of a mini "opening gambit"! 

Hey! Yeah! biggrin.gif And it wasn't totally seperate from the rest of the episode.

blink.gif Just one thing... isn't this the one were the baddie killed Nikki's neighbor's dog she was watching?? (might not be.. can't remember) What ever episode that was... mad.gif Stupid Baddie!! ranting2.gif

*scratches dog out of script and replaces with cat* blink.gif

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 7 2005 @ 02:12 AM)
Mac makes the mistake of mentioning something that is only in Nikki's "file", and she says, "You have... read my file... haven't you?" Mac says yes, and the predictable blowup follows.

Mac didn't make a mistake, he wanted her to know that he read her file. Being straight honest is not a mistake if you ask me. Also one of the very few moments throughout the series that Mac gets angry and loses his temper in that scene. But of course he's just being protective. Just loving it.
Alright now what's this with hanging upside down on a chair with two smoking stuff on each side? To reduce the fever? Was that cold real anyway?

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 7 2005 @ 04:42 PM )
roller.gif OK, I'd almost completely forgotten that one! That was just funny, but it would probably work.

And as for Mac reading Nikki's file, I think he obviously did it with the best of intentions (he obviously cares for her enough to do some digging and see who might want to hurt her), but maybe didn't mean to tell her just at that moment. You could see him sort of thinking, "Uh oh, I didn't mean for it to come out quite like this." 

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 7 2005 @ 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 7 2005, 01:20 AM)
blink.gif Just one thing... isn't this the one were the baddie killed Nikki's neighbor's dog she was watching?? (might not be.. can't remember) What ever episode that was... mad.gif Stupid Baddie!! ranting2.gif

No... that was "The Negotiator," and our favorite villainness, Deborah, was the one who did the dirty deed.

Yeah, I know, I know... I know this show WAY too well! I'm starting to scare myself here! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 7 2005 @ 10:54 PM)
And as for Mac reading Nikki's file, I think he obviously did it with the best of intentions (he obviously cares for her enough to do some digging and see who might want to hurt her), but maybe didn't mean to tell her just at that moment. You could see him sort of thinking, "Uh oh, I didn't mean for it to come out quite like this." 

Yeah, well of course he had the best intentions. Maybe not to tell her at the moment but he had to come out for it, liking it or not. He probably thought, "I can better do it now than later." And the look on his face when he said it was more like 'I know that this'll hurt you.'
'Let me out of here!'
'You think Nikki Carpenter is jinx, is that it?'
'Stop it!'
'How much longer are you going to say that you're divorced?'
'That car bomb was meant for me, not him. Oh God, not him.'
Nice conversation eh?

QUOTE (lemmy357 Sep 8 2005 @ 06:48 AM )
Although I didn't like Nikki at all, I have to admit that I really like most of the episodes that she was in (despite the fact that she was in them). I voted "good" 

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 8 2005 @ 01:04 PM)
And yeah, I think he likely knew it was something that had to be addressed sooner or later, so when he mentioned it (whether accidentally or on purpose, and we can go round and round about that forever!) he was ready for her reaction, and willing to risk losing Nikki as a friend. Sometimes the most caring thing one can do for a friend is address head-on something that they're trying to avoid.

QUOTE (Amy Sep 20 2005 @ 02:38 PM )
Good ep! Seems to be a lot of animosity toward Nikki in general here--but I can't say that don't like her, really--I'm not sure. There are certainly a lot of sparks 'tween her and Mac--but that's not necessarily bad...steel sharpening steel, you know. She and Mac definitely work differently and clash, but there are moments of genuine friendship, too. She definitely isn't easy to like. 

QUOTE (gunshotlead Dec 16 2005 @ 09:48 AM )
When I originally watched the series while it was still airing on ABC, I had pooh-poohed this episode as a typical teen who was more interested in the techy parts rather than the drama. Surprisingly, it's the reverse for me in my older years. biggrin.gif

Just to weigh in on the boathouse discussion, Mac did NOT intentionally give up the fact that he had access to Nikki's dossier. The "slip of the tongue" timing is classic RDA - you see it later in his comedic moments as Jack O'Neill on SG-1:

Mac: (wiping hands on towel while at the stove) That clown was no professional hitman, that's for sure.

Nikki: (sipping at her tea with obvious bandaged hands) Meaning?

Mac: (finishes wiping hands, discards towel and leans against kitchen island) Meaning I don't think that he was enough of a pro to be connected to any of the five families you investigated while you were with Senator Tagne...

Watch his face in the background. Note his voice trails off at that point and he *winces* BIG-TIME. BUSTED! blink.gif The face of a man who has wagged his tongue to the edge of disaster...

The crying scene with Nikki was a bit over the top but still engaging. smile.gif Note the subtle use of lighting - her face is softly lit (no doubt through the use of a reflector disc held off-camera) while everything else merges into a smooth bokeh in the background. At no time during that exchange after she turns away from him when he uses the word "jinxed" does the focus ever return to Mac - it's all Nikki.

This was the first time I ever heard the term "early boy-scout" applied to interior design. biggrin.gif Hah! The "fluffy" line was a bit weak, but typical Mac.

Don S. Davies appeared in this episode, before he was General Hammond. When I saw the cement truck driver, I laughed heartily, I almost didn't recognize him. Interestingly enough, he also served as Dana Elcar's stunt double for the entiriety of the MacGyver series.

Apple Computers - what else can I say? The computerized composite sketch program they showed the characters using was cutting edge back then, heck so was the fine dot-matrix printer. LOL. clapping.gif

Of all the female characters, I have to say I had a soft spot for Nikki - she could have been the best thing for Mac. Let's face it, he is disorganized and unorthodox - she is all polish and prime. I think they would have been good for each other. Opposites do attract, and I wish the writing team had completed that arc that started with Starkos' line in GX-1: "That woman, you will come to love her, eh?" 

QUOTE (Old Fan Dec 17 2005 @ 10:17 AM )
MAC: "...Anyone who sound like this should be home in bed. Fact is - I was, but after two days of listening to myself sneeze - I was desparate..."
"...I knew I shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning - my search for a cure for the common cold had turned into a remedy for robbery... "

PETE: "Ah... the hidden cost of heroism...".

This episode is a gem - a pointer to the funny times ahead. If we didn't already feel RDA's humorous influence on MAC's "voice", this was a great indication. I wonder if he improvised here as on Stargate SG-1.

Interesting use (not only in this episode) of Vancouver neighborhoods subbing for Los Angeles - at a time when most Americans didn't really know Vancouver. The "Dunbar" post office. The warehouse ("...sure cleared the sinuses!...") is in an industrial area "north of Boundary Road" (actually, on a map, Boundary Road - which looks like it's in Burnaby - runs north/south).

Actually, I'm glad they moved there, because the scenery was spectacular, the neighborhoods fresh and the sky blue (well, except when it was raining). Los Angeles (the real one) and the Paramount back lot - was getting pretty tired (as witnessed in season 7). Vancouver gave the series a "fresh breath" so to speak. MAC - or - RDA was in his element. And it gave a whole virtually unknown group of local actors a chance to show their talent. Wonderful, that many of them showed up later on Stargate. BRAVO!!!

PETE: "Get out of my hair, will 'ya - some of us have work to do."
NIKKI: "What's gotten into him?"
MAC: "He gets cranky sometimes."
PETE: "Press the clear button before you leave...or die."

QUOTE (Amy Dec 18 2005 @ 02:19 AM )
Dontcha love it when a show seemlessly blends the right amount of humor with drama? happy.gif MacGyver's the best! 

QUOTE (MacGirl Dec 18 2005 @ 12:16 PM )
Exactly, Amy! That's what makes this ep one of my all-time faves. Some great drama between Mac and Nikki, right alongside some really funny stuff. Life can be like that sometimes... 

QUOTE (Lothithil Dec 20 2005 @ 09:50 AM )
This is one of the eps I watch over and over. Seeing Mac sick really triggers my empathy for him... he may be clever and take good care of himself, but he's still human. I loved the whole hanging upside down with the humidifier scene.

And that little apologetic grin when he realizes that he must have given Pete his cold... *cute!!* 

QUOTE (MacGirl Dec 20 2005 @ 06:21 PM )
Yes, this is definitely one of the eps I never tire of. I love the hanging-upside-down-with-the-humidifier scene... then Nikki comes in with her neighbor's dog, and the dog runs straight to Mac--too cute!-- and then Nikki tells Mac "I think someone's trying to kill me" and the next shot has Mac tipping himself upright in pure shock. biggrin.gif Great moment! This was also, I think, the only Mac-and-Nikki-ep in which they both temporarily forgot to be nasty to each other (well, they were pretty decent to each other in The Negotiator, too, now that I think of it.)

I don't know why, but this has the "classic Mac" feel to it... with a good dose of his humanity and big heart thrown in, too. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 5 January 2007 - 11:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

This is something very bizzarre I saw yesterday - on an episode of JAG.

Remember the scene where Nikki takes Bunky out to her car - to go to the police station - it's at night... and it ends with Nikki almost getting run down by the guy in the car... Anyway, you first see them walking out of the apartment building... it's dark and raining. But I swear that exact scene was put into a JAG episode I saw yesterday.

Since both MacGyver and JAG were put out by Paramount, and I guess since Paramount OWNED this footage from MacGyver... they cut and pasted it into the JAG episode...maybe a cost cutting measure. It was just an establishing shot, but I gotta tell you... it was weird. For a split second, I wasn't sure what I was watching - since I've watched Blowout so often, I practically know it by heart. You could even see the "person" walking down the steps with a dog. Paramount is CHEAP!!!!!

wacko.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 5 January 2007 - 01:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I think you'll find its more about time than money.

As RDA has said many times in interviews.. people don't appreciate the work involved and the tight schedules required to make an hour long (45 minute) TV show every week.

So if they can get a whole scene or even shot without having to film it themselves.. then it means a little more time for them to film something else... makes sense really.

would put you into a bit of a twilight zone, if its a scene you know well from another show though laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 5 January 2007 - 05:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

What's even funnier about it is that in Blowout... it's supposed to be Los Angeles, and in the JAG episode, it's supposed to be Washington DC, but in reality, it's - of course - Vancouver, BC...

... and only we know for sure...

blink.gif jeep.gif

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 June 2007 - 02:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I thought it was interesting that MacGyver was preaching to Nikki about keeping people "at arms length" so they don't get hurt and also about blaming herself for her husbands death, when he does exactly the same thing.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 14 June 2007 - 04:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I guess that "...It takes one to know one..."

sad.gif jeep.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 June 2007 - 05:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah I guess..

I just found it odd (and kind of out of character) that MacGyver was lecturing her to not do the very same thing that he does do himself.

I guess we're all guilty of hypocrisy at some time or other.

*it's hard being perfect.. but someone has to do it.*

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 14 June 2007 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Nah.. not takes one to know one..... is "do as I say, not as I do."

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 18 June 2007 - 07:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

Mmm... I don't know that it's so much *hypocrisy* or inconsistency on Mac's part, as it is trying to keep a good friend from going down the same road he's taken. I think this is a "I've-done-this-and-I-know-I've-hurt-myself-with-it-and-I-don't-want-to-see-you-make-the-same-mistake" moment.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 18 June 2007 - 10:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGirl @ 18 June 2007 - 06:28 PM)
I think this is a "I've-done-this-and-I-know-I've-hurt-myself-with-it-and-I-don't-want-to-see-you-make-the-same-mistake" moment.

Exactly. I did not know how to put it, but that is what I'm thinking about it, too. They also say that we only see at others our own mistakes and that they then bug us a lot.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 19 June 2007 - 09:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 6 January 2007 - 10:01 AM)
I think you'll find its more about time than money.

As RDA has said many times in interviews.. people don't appreciate the work involved and the tight schedules required to make an hour long (45 minute) TV show every week.

So if they can get a whole scene or even shot without having to film it themselves.. then it means a little more time for them to film something else... makes sense really.

would put you into a bit of a twilight zone, if its a scene you know well from another show though laugh.gif

A spooky image (avatar?) you got there!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 21 September 2008 - 01:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

interesting and exciting episode. mac with a cold and still being heroic. i liked that old lady at the grocery store.

does being upside down and humidifier work? what kind of cold remedy is that? mac must be desperate.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 21 September 2008 - 01:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

laugh.gif remember it was the 80's.

"draining your sinuses" was a popular notion, if not a somewhat ill-conceived one. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sharjan
Posted on 21 September 2008 - 02:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Just about all of them

I voted excellent.
I really like Nikki and the way Mac and her bounce off each other and then Mac gets to show that work is work and caring about people is more important.
Also loved the humour in this as well, with his cold.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 29 September 2008 - 12:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

I like this episode very much. Interaction between Mac and Nikki was great and I also liked the plot involving the terrorists.

Mac's flu, using concrete to soften the explosion and Pete's last expression are things that raise this episode from good to excellent.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 7 April 2009 - 04:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

I like this eppy, too. I like Nikki, Mac w/flu, Pete and also Don S Davis as the cement truck driver!

I just curious that if the cement could really flow fast enough to cover the bomb in just a little more than 2 minutes. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 April 2009 - 06:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (dinoman @ 8 April 2009 - 01:30 PM)
I like this eppy, too. I like Nikki, Mac w/flu, Pete and also Don S Davis as the cement truck driver!

I just curious that if the cement could really flow fast enough to cover the bomb in just a little more than 2 minutes. hmm.bmp

It does flow out of those trucks pretty fast, but maybe something for the Mythbusters to try in their next MacGyver special.

"Can you really fill a mail truck full of cement in 2 minutes or less?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacSAK
Posted on 15 June 2009 - 10:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Hiker

Favorites
Episode:Blow Out
Jacket:  Leather Biker

My favorite episode! tongue.gif I love the whole storyline, intro is kinda funny... But EXCELLENT episode!!! macsak.gif

getcha pull

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 June 2009 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah it is a good episode, but that's what you expect from season 3. biggrin.gif

I did think Nikki seemed a bit weak at the post office, when that dude knocked her over. It's like she went from being a strong willed able to take care of herself character to some weak-willed fall down and cry when someone knocks you over character.

The Nikki from Fire and Ice would have jumped up and kicked that guys ass.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 23 March 2010 - 04:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

I laugh every time I hear Pete tell MacGyver and Nikki to "get out of my hair." It's such a simple line but seeing the look on his face when he realizes what he just said always cracks me up.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 21 April 2010 - 08:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 16 June 2009 - 09:36 AM)
I did think Nikki seemed a bit weak at the post office, when that dude knocked her over. It's like she went from being a strong willed able to take care of herself character to some weak-willed fall down and cry when someone knocks you over character.

The Nikki from Fire and Ice would have jumped up and kicked that guys ass.

Well, everyone can have a bad day... even Nikki. biggrin.gif

I wonder if maybe her reaction was just from being startled, and she was clearly hurt a bit as well. But yeah, I found it a little puzzling too.

I suppose it's also possible that she'd wound up in a previous physical confrontation in which she was either badly hurt, or really hurt someone else. That might make her hesitant to take someone on again. Or it could be that she found herself on the edge of being fired as the result (maybe she went too far and really hurt the other guy when he was no longer truly a threat). If it was the second instance, she may have found herself in legal trouble too. I know that here in Minnesota, for example, if someone attacks you, and you manage to get them on the ground or otherwise get their hands off you, you are then LEGALLY OBLIGATED to run and do your best to escape. If they come after you and attack you again, you can again defend yourself, but again, you're legally obligated to run as soon as you can. If you, say, knock someone down and then step on their hand, breaking it, you can be charged with assault. Nikki seems just hotheaded enough that this is a real possibility. Fanfic possibilities here? hmm.bmp

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 6 December 2011 - 11:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

QUOTE (androgyny @ 21 September 2008 - 09:19 PM)
interesting and exciting episode. mac with a cold and still being heroic. i liked that old lady at the grocery store.

does being upside down and humidifier work? what kind of cold remedy is that? mac must be desperate.

A humidifier works, I believe the are also calle vaporisers if I am correct. I've had one for years.

I have never hung myself upside down though. If I came across Mac hanging upside down, I think I'd be tempted to tickle him. laugh.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 25 October 2012 - 04:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, but I've been very busy for the last couple days, planning a mini-trip for next month--first time I'm going away for several months (my parents' house doesn't count).

I'm positively thrilled over the fact that this is the third episode in a row I'll give an "Excellent" vote! In general, season 3-6 are the best in my opinion... and right here, during season 3, we have a couple of really good episodes in a row.

"Blowout" is one of those, and definitely one of my all time favorites. I love the mix of humor and suspense! The robbery scene was hilarious. RDA's sneezing attacks are hysterical, and the old lady is just totally awesome. biggrin.gif

Nikki's character is much better than in her first episode, but I still think she's too clueless and a bit inconsequent at times. I found it odd that she didn't even check when the dog started barking like that while she was in the bath! You don't have to know much about dogs to hear the different tones in their bark. I'm not a jumpy person myself, but I'd definitely listen to the dog's alarm... I don't really get it. Sometime's she is a professionally trained agent, and sometimes... she's just very girlish. tongue.gif

Anyway--there are so many little details worth mentioning here... like how miserable Mac looks throughout the episode, but manages to get himself together when the situation calls for it. Even Pete is hysterical, with the "Press the clear button before you leave--or die!" comment, and when he tries to protect himself from Mac's germs, holding up the papers... only to fail in the end. wink.gif

I *love* the MacGyverism with the cement truck. Very much improvised--but ingenious. biggrin.gif

I might be a bit slow posting for the next couple days too, since my schedule's a bit hectic at the moment, but I'll try to get the next episode up as soon as possible. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Traveller
Posted on 26 October 2012 - 08:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

Take your time! Your reviews are great, and if you go too fast, you'll reach the end of the show too soon.
As for me, I would give this episode an 'excellent' if it weren't for Nikki. I can't stand her in this episode. She spoils a lot of the fun. To start with, her reactions to Mac in Pete's office are so arrogant, telling him that her methods are so much better than his. While she never, not in any episode, proved to us that she has even the tiniest part of Mac's genius. She has the right to work alone? Come again? She would never survive on her own, Mac has to save her time and time again. So who's talking? Her role in this episode is nothing more than a catalyst to get the plot on its way. Trained special agent, my foot.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 26 October 2012 - 02:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Yeah your right she certainly didn't live up to the hype that the built up for her with the speech about being FBI (or what ever it was) trained in fire and ice and the "I'm a professional...blah blah blah" in this episode. I can't help thinking that the writers didn't really know what to do with the character. It's like they started off with one line of thought and then changed to something else and then just got lost.

There's one scene in this episode that stops me dead every time. And that's when MacGyver is punching the hole in the pain can and the paint runs over his hand. I always think "You're getting paint on your SAK!!!" and then I think about paint on your hand, and probably part of your clothing... and that stuff doesn't come out ya know!

So that bit always pulls me out of the episode and back to reality for a few seconds.

I also always seem to to focus on finger wave thing he does as he walks back to the jeep after hanging the paint under the truck. It's kinda like he's figuring something out in his head... but there's nothing to figure out... just get in your jeep and follow the paint drops Mac... it's not rocket science.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 26 October 2012 - 04:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

Yeah, Kiwi, you're definitely right about the paint! That stuff must be very adhesive, and apparently, neither Mac nor SAK got a single stain.

(Oh, I just got this "inner vision" of those bad guys confronting Mac while he's frantically trying to remove the paint stains from his hands, his SAK, his clothes, the side door and the smeared steering wheel of his jeep... not to mention his face. laugh.gif )

PM                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 14 March 2013 - 02:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

This was fun to watch although I usually don't like Nikki very much. Here I felt sorry for her, losing her husband in such tragic circumstances. sad.gif And I did like that elderly lady at the supermarket, pushing a shopping cart at one of the bad guys. I want to be like her when I 'grow up'. laugh.gif

Follow the yellow brick road! biggrin.gif

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 14 March 2013 - 05:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I thought this episode was good. I really liked Mac and Nikki together much of the ep, but cannot stand the part in Pete's office. Though I love Pete's comment about getting out of his hair! The old lady in the store was priceless!! biggrin.gif I agree, I wanna be like her when I "grow up" too!! Mac's caring yet nosey nature are evident in this ep too.

I really like when we get to hear the rare true giggles out of RDA. There is one in this ep. The many pics I've seen on rdanderson.com with RDA and his dog show how much he must like dogs. When Nikki enters the houseboat with the dog it runs over and starts licking RDA in the face...you can hear RDA giggle when the dog "gets" him. blush.gif happy_dance.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 27 July 2014 - 03:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

He really likes dogs smile.gif

In this episode I like Mac with Nikki, but not only in this episode. Here Mac is so good, he wants to help her even though she doesn't want because he knows she needs it. love.jpg

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll