Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 55 - Kill zone

MacGyver discovers the cause of sudden wildlife deaths is an uncontrollably mutating organism that speeds up the aging process. The scientist who hid it on the satellite claims to have destroyed it.. but has she?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 9 November 2006 - 02:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

votes from March 2006

Poor [ 1 ] [7.69%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 3 ] [23.08%]
Good [ 2 ] [15.38%]
Excellent [ 7 ] [53.85%]
Total Votes: 13

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 11 2005 @ 03:13 PM)
I voted good.

This is the one were MacGyver goes through the chamber to get cleansed. That was a good scene. I won't elaborate. wink.gif

I wanted to choke Sandra, that self important ranting2.gif Didn't bother me when she died. She did that to herself. But watching Ace die.  sad.gif

It was kinda cool seeing the Bridge studios.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 11 2005 @ 09:17 PM )
I voted for excellent. This one of the third season highlight episodes and with an open ending, to keep the guessing what they did after the explosion. I just love the final scene when they both turn around and just walk away. This one scores pretty high for me. This episode involves Doggie Death I. 

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 12 2005 @ 07:29 AM )
Um...whats the open ending?

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 12 2005 @ 08:57 AM )
Well not really an open ending but it's just that they walk away. The organism was destroyed but at a very high price. But it's something you have to think about it. Then you can figure any story you like. 

QUOTE (MacGyver Sep 12 2005 @ 01:10 PM )
This has got to be one of the episodes from the 3rd. Season that I've seen quite a few times (okay, I can say that of any episode, but anyway) - "Kill Zone" always delivers on action and a really thought-provoking emotion-jarring ending. It has an obvious message about the cost of the progression of science and about whether the ends really justify the means. I definitely vote "excellent" on this one. And it was pretty cool to see Pete actually figure out what MacGyver was doing on his own for once. smile.gif There's one of a few instances of MacGyver's "speeding up the elevator" tricks in this episode (I'm thinking he did it again in at least one other episode. Can't remember right now. "The Eraser", maybe?)
And every time I see Dr. Milhouse and her dog Ace aging so quickly like that, I about want to cry. That is really sad, no matter what she did. And I always feel a little bit better when Pete and Mac show her the 5 3/4 inch floppy disks and let her know that her work will be saved! And the explosion at the end with MacGyver and Pete looking back in shock and disbelief is a great ending scene too. Very memorable stuff throughout this episode. In fact, this is one of the episodes I distinctly remember watching as a child in 1988! (I remember having to go put up my socks during a commercial break! biggrin.gif ) sak.gif duct.gif 

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 13 2005 @ 02:06 AM )
The cool thing about the explosion is that they both duck and roll over. Get up together. They used that little footage in the opening credits starting from season 4 I guess. I love that shot by the way. 

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 13 2005 @ 09:55 AM )
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Sep 12 2005 @  01:10 PM)

It has an obvious message about the cost of the progression of science and about whether the ends really justify the means.

Yes, very thought-provoking, and, I think, even MORE relevant than it was almost twenty years ago, now that science is really getting into ethically challenging territory, like genetic engineering. How far is too far? I always like the scene where Pete discovers Sandra and her dog, aged to far beyond their natural lifespans. Dana was just great in that scene... the look of awe and horror on his face was enough to make the viewer know that what was coming next was pretty shocking... and yet it wasn't what you'd expect.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 14 2005 @ 03:45 AM)
Dana was just great in that scene... the look of awe and horror on his face was enough to make the viewer know that what was coming next was pretty shocking... and yet it wasn't what you'd expect.

Lovely! A classic moment in MacGyver history. He's willing to go in but he got stopped by it.
"Oh my God! My dear God!"
That line is so powerful. So much drama in it. And what's even more emotional is that Sandra got what she actually didn't deserve.
"I suppose... an "I told you so" is in order."
"Save my work, please. All my other work. It can be important."
"Sandra, we've got them."
"Thank you!"
Then it's as if she wents to extend her arm or her fingers but she can't anymore and dies.
"She's gone, MacGyver. There is nothing we can do for her now."
For me this episode is set in three parts. When MacGyver is in the woods, the whole thing with the leak and the research of the organism and then the escape. And episode in three parts set in two places. Just love it when the Phoenix Foundation is a major part in the episodes. It's like 90% of the episode is set in Phoenix just like Phoenix under Siege.

QUOTE (Amy Sep 20 2005 @ 05:40 AM )
Another really great episode! Sandra was one of those people that you want to loathe and pity at the same time. Her goal was admirable, but the way of getting there was too costly and she wouldn't see that. In the end she was a victim of that cost. This episode is just as relevant today as it was almost 20 years ago. 

QUOTE (sonyab Sep 20 2005 @ 07:27 AM )
Oh I loved this episode!!!! smile.gif I vote excellent. Everytime I watch this episode and see the dog getting old and dying I cry. So sad!!! Sandra did that to her dog! Hey that Actress and Rick were both on the soap General Hospital together. smile.gif 

QUOTE (sonyab Sep 20 2005 @ 07:28 AM )
Cloning.. That is going way to far. 

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 20 2005 @ 04:48 PM)

I think it depends on what kind of cloning you're talking about. If you have someone who's losing a kidney to disease, and you use their remaining cells to grow them a new kidney, that's fine. Or if someone loses a hand, and you use their own cells to grow a new one. But if you're cloning just for the hell of it... like with Dolly the sheep, or telling people that they can clone their pet (that's just creepy!) then that's going too far... and obviously, cloning an entire human is going WAY too far. 

QUOTE (MacGirl Dec 5 2005 @ 03:01 PM )
Just saw this again tonight, and it struck me that this was one of the very few eps that didn't have a happy ending. Probably 90% of them did. The ones that end sadly are some of the ones that stick with you the longest... really make you think. 

QUOTE (Lady Angra Feb 12 2006 @ 10:41 AM )
I know this will sound extremely geeky but this episode reminded me so much of The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. I mean granted they are different story lines but there are so many similarities.

Possible spoilers (just in case someone hasn't seen the episode or read the book)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

TAS: Satellite falls down in the middle of a small town in Arizona and is the source of the organism.
KZ: Satellite falls down in the middle of a forest and is the source of the organism.

TAS: The whole town is dead.
KZ: The forest is full of dead animals.

TAS: Nuclear procedure.
KZ: Firestorm procedure.

TAS: The facility is underground in the middle of Nevada.
KZ: The facility is undergroud.

TAS: The scientists go through levels of decontaminations, including a UV that takes off the first layer of their skin, leaving them ashy.
KZ: MacGyver is decontaminated in UV room and left all ashy.

TAS: The organism mutates to dissolve rubber.
KZ: The organism mutates to dissolve glass.

TAS: Integrity is compromised and destruction countdown begins.
KZ: Integrity is compromised in the lab and the whole thing self-destructs.

QUOTE (rockatteer Mar 6 2006 @ 11:30 PM )
Welcome to the community.

Wow... very similar

Was The Andromeda Strain written before Kill Zone?

If it was I guess they could well have used it as the base of the story... It wouldn't be the first time. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 11 November 2007 - 07:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

This episode is definitely one of my favorites! I watched it again tonight, and here are several things I noticed that remind me why I love this episode so much:

1. This episode has everything--action, drama, and a serious intellectual debate about science, its benefits to humanity...as well as its potential threats.

2. RDA's acting in this episode is wonderful. He has great, expressive eyes and you can tell that he feels for the animals that have died. His reaction to Sandra when she ages rapidly and dies is perfect.

3. The interactions between Pete and Mac are enjoyable to watch. I love how Pete starts to understand what MacGyver is doing to restore the integrity of the lab seal, and MacGyver seems proud of him for figuring it out. When Pete helps Mac charge the manual override, I thought that was great teamwork and showed how much those two characters care for each other.

4. I really felt the emotions of everyone involved--it was effective enough that even I cried a little when Ace (the dog) died. sad.gif

5. Naked Mac--need I say more, ladies? wink.gif wub.gif

6. And, last but not least...Comtrya! Did anyone else notice that the actor who plays Colonel Phelps also plays the lovable but annoying Harlan on SG-1? I almost didn't recognize him because he's younger in this episode, and also he's playing a dramatic role. I thought he did a good job.

Okay, that's enough of this essay. laugh.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
musicbymuzak
Posted on 7 June 2008 - 06:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

It really was a great episode, with great music. That phoenix lab is cool. I like the glass-being-eaten and elevator-boosting sequences.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 14 June 2008 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I am watching it now with my kids. My eight year old daughter loves this show almost as much as I do! She chose this episode. We are at the scene where Mac is walking through the wood in the beginning looking at all of the dead animals--really heartbreaking scene.

--Hey, Phelps--that's Harlan from Stargate SG1! You're right MacsChick! Wow!!

The scene in the wood where Mac is walking is continuing--it's not easy to write and comment on an episode while watching it--but ideas come to me.

One thing that strikes me in this episode every time is the relationship between Mac and Pete--especially during the Firestorm sequence and the elevator sequence--just great between them.

What to say about Dr. Sandra Millhouse--well, I think Mac and Pete sum her up.
Mac tells her in the lab that "there comes a time where you have to acknowledge a right and a wrong way to do things". Pete tells her essentially the same thing about being a responsible scientist, and that she has gone too far. I like her--her death is a tragedy--so is Ace's. (I am taking Pete's viewpoint and Mac's too). I admire her hard work, her passion, and her dedication, but I agree there has to be a right a wrong way to do things. Like the movie Jurassic Park--creative idea--but scientists that cared more about whether they could do it, than whether they should do it--to quote Jeff Goldblum in the movie.

I vote excellent--this is one of my top 25 and out of 139 that's pretty good.

The episode says a lot about the necessity for an ethical and a responsible approach to scientific discovery.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 24 April 2009 - 04:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

heartbreaking episode where you see all thoses animals die and then at the end where the dog jumps up, and they both turn old together, painful.

Azalea77
Posted on 17 March 2010 - 02:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Almost all of them

I liked this episode but it was a little scary. The way this scientist died was horrible, feel sorry for her. She wanted to do something good and she failed...One more proof that messing up with Mother Nature is not a good idea.

The best way to beat the problem, is to make it work for you

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 30 March 2010 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

I'll always remember this as the weird episode. I always remember as a kid feeling sorry for the dog because I had a border collie.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Geekgirl
Posted on 1 April 2010 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: unknown

Favorites
Episode:Widowmaker

Watched this episode last night with my kids. I enjoyed it but my 7 and 4 year old were sad about the all the animals, Both kids were crying when ACE died.

And then I had a very scared 4 yr old boy in my lap worried that Mac and Pete were going to be blown up with the lab self destructing....probably wasn't a good choice to watch with the kids.

I really liked the episode. Science can do many wonderful things, but it can be done in the wrong manner....great lesson/reminder. The acting was great as several people mentioned, really liked Pete and Mac's expressions as Sandra was dying.

Overall - I give it an excellent rating.

“Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, someone changes the odds." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cirubit
Posted on 4 April 2010 - 12:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: various

Favorites
Episode:phoenix under siege

this episode was not one of my favourites at the time but I have revalued him recently!
I do not remember why I did not like it...
I like often seeing it now again!!! nasty.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 5 March 2011 - 08:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

I just watched this episode today. It's one of my favourites - I have quite a few, hehe.

I did miss the first few minutes and I totally forgot about naked Mac! Darn it!

It's a good episode in the sense that it really makes you wonder if the end justifies the means, and the progress we have made in science.

The rapid aging really got me, though. Not because I didn't like it, but because it actually scares me that one day someone is likely to create someone just like it - if they haven't already.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 3 May 2011 - 07:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone (fingers crossed) have some screencaps of Mac with his shirt off? smile.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 8 June 2012 - 04:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

Just saw this again. I think it's a really good commentary on the limits of science, and where those boundaries are. Also, what are the ethical limits? How do you draw those lines? Sandra had her heart in the right place, but she pushed way too far. These aren't easy questions to answer, but they have to be addressed by society.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 8 June 2012 - 05:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

You're right. It does highlight the "Scientists playing God" issue and Sandra did seem to not care about any risks or dangers she created. And that's the danger outlined in this episode. It's all very well to say you can save millions of people, but if you kill or harm millions in the process of creating the cure you've achieved nothing.

It reminds me of that quote from Jerrasic Park. "The scientists were so busy seeing if they could, they never stopped to think if they should." - love that quote.

It would be interesting to know if this episode was triggered by any particular events around this time period.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 29 October 2012 - 06:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

I'm terribly sorry this took me so long to post, but I'm visiting my parents again, celebrating my dad's birthday... and we're having a bit of an Internet meltdown here, the DSL modem died, and guess who's expected to fix it... oh well. Glad I've got a mobile connection too, while waiting for the spare (or making it back home, I'm kinda held hostage here at the moment... wink.gif)

I hope, by the way, that those of you who are affected by Sandy are all safe and well! You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Anyway--this is a very suspenseful episode, and, as MacGirl put it, it also brings up questions about the ethical limits of science--how far *should* scientists be allowed to go with their experiments?

The dead animals Mac found in the forest did look very creepy. No wonder he had to go through such a throughout decontamination process. I couldn't help but laugh at the "chilly" comment, hehe. There seems to be many requests for screencaps--not only in this forum--of that particular scene... whistle.gif

Hehe, anyway... As the rat was brought in for a demonstration of the effectiveness of that tiny sample, it really made you cringe, as it would have been a totally unnecessary sacrifice, since we already knew what was going to happen to it. It once again brings up that ethical question: How much of the animal testing that's being done "in the name of science" is actually necessary?

In the end, I felt... well, almost enraged about Sandra's behavior. I mean, she was such a promising scientist, and yet, she let her obsession become her downfall, sacrificing herself--and her beautiful, innocent dog, for her research. Such a waste, and a very tragical death, for that matter...

It's rather amazing, btw, that today's prosthetics in general is so much better than this. OK, I know that today, it can be combined with pretty good computer generated skin effects, but still... it didn't look plausible at all. tongue.gif It's not particularly bad compared to the general standard of that time... but to be honest, the only movie made during the 80's with plausible "old-age" makeup (that I can think of) is Amadeus...

All in all, this one's bordering on "Excellent" too, but I'll give it a strong "Good" instead.

PM                                                                     
jrod806
Posted on 24 April 2013 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

This is the only one that still scares me....even today. I even felt bad for sandra on this, im mean her goals were commendable, but her methods were a bit too extreme, and unfortuately it killed her and the dog, the drama in this episode was outstanding i voted excelllent for that as well as the message it sent across.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 31 August 2013 - 03:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

I cried when Sandra's dog died. That was heart-rending.

Why didn't the sheep farmer get infected? hmm.bmp

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 31 August 2013 - 05:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (MDBfan @ 31 August 2013 - 11:29 PM)
I cried when Sandra's dog died. That was heart-rending.

Why didn't the sheep farmer get infected? hmm.bmp

Did they say how they found out about the virus? Was it reported or did they immediately quarantine the area when the satellite fell. If it was the latter then the farmer wouldn't have been allowed in the area. But if it was reported by someone then the question marks a valid point.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 1 September 2013 - 02:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

The farmer seems to be the first to find out that something was wrong. The news reporter said that the farmer woke up in the morning and found his sheep dead.
Maybe his house wasn't close to the pastures, hence he saw the dead sheep from a distance? He did suspect nerve gas so naturally he would have stayed out of the area.
Or he could be immune to the virus?

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
Leevi
Posted on 17 October 2014 - 08:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Apartment

Just watched this again a while ago and this has to be one of the best MacGyver episodes. So emotional and raises many questions. Also I love that it is so different when compared to common episodes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 15 January 2017 - 04:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

This has to count as one of Mac's Worst Days Ever. Not as bad as the ones where he lost Mike or family members, but in terms of the number of horrible things that happened.

1 He had to see the bodies of numerous dead animals.
2 He very nearly got napalm dropped on him.
3 He had to get naked in a situation that was obviously embarrassing. (A little bit chilly? If you say so ...)
4 And then get the top layer of skin blasted off. That just doesn't sound pleasant.
5 And then a building security system nearly killed him.
6 And then he had to witness the death of Saundra and Ace.
7 And then the same building security system nearly killed him - again.
8 And the mouse whose life he had saved, plus all the other mice in the lab, was incinerated when the building blew itself up.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 2 May 2017 - 03:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

Aw, loved how he protected the mouse. And the decontamination scene...well...a shirtless MacGyver is never a bad thing! whistle.gif

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 28 September 2020 - 03:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

very good television time, moreover the music is at the top. 5⭐️

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll