Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 67 - The Outsiders

After an Amish family nurses him back to health from a car accident, MacGyver helps them confront a construction crew about to bulldoze them off their land.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 10 November 2006 - 09:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from May 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 1 ] [5.88%]
Good [ 7 ] [41.18%]
Excellent [ 9 ] [52.94%]
Total Votes: 17

Archived posts

Posted by: MacGyver Dec 12 2005, 06:09 PM
Speaking as someone who has seen all the MacGyver episodes and TV-movies, you definitely have to see this episode!!! Now I won't say it's chock-full of cool MacGyverisms, because it really isn't. But it's still one of my favorite episodes because of the story. (Which is actually kinda similar to 1985's "Witness" movie, starring Harrison Ford, as well as one of the same guys that shows up in "The Outsiders" episode on MacGyver!!! (I'm pretty sure the elderly Amish patriarch is the same one that's in Witness.)

Anyway, MacGyver does use barrells to support a tunnel so that's his cool MacGyverism for this episode. But I guess the thing I like the best is the friendship between Jacob and Christy and how they help unite two different groups of people in the middle of a land conflict. MacGyver appreciates the Amish family's hospitality and he helps bring about some reconciliation within their family and... well, it's just a good kinda tear-jerking type episode!

And one of the funniest quotes comes from this episode:

"I died...and went to Thanksgiving?"

Posted by: MacGyverGod Dec 14 2005, 02:01 AM
Another good if not excellent episode. An astounding first scene with Mac's crash. One of the fourth seasons best episodes. 

Posted by: rockatteer Dec 19 2005, 10:45 PM
Anyone remember the true life version of the little girl who fell in the well back in 1987?

They got her out the same way MacGyver did.... dug down then across.

Every time I watch this episode I wander if they got the idea from the Baby Jessica incident. 

Posted by: Amy Dec 20 2005, 07:08 AM
Don't have S4 yet (shame on me), but I saw this one over the summer and it's one of my favorites!

I love the story with the 2 kids from opposites sides that are best friends. I also like stories involving the Amish and that push and pull between their life and the world. The Witness is one of my favorite movies! I also like this ep because I live in PA and strangely enough, love it! Was it actually filmed in PA? Anyone know?

I remember Baby Jessica, Rock. Scary! I've often wondered if there was some inspiration there, too. 

Posted by: MacNymph Dec 20 2005, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Dec 12 2005, 06:09 PM)
And one of the funniest quotes comes from this episode:

"I died...and went to Thanksgiving?"

For those who haven't seen this episode, the quote is funnier if you know what was going on.

Mac has rolled his Jeep over an cliff and recieved, yet another bonk on the head.

The Amish familys is standing all around him in their simple Amish clothing and ask if he knows what happened.

To which he replies, "My Jeep went off a cliff... I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

They even chuckle in the episode... "No, we're Amish."

Quick question... maybe MGod knows... Did Mac ever take his bonk and end up with a bandaid on the right side of his head? Seems like he's always landing on the left.

Posted by: rockatteer Dec 20 2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah! Good point!

Even in SG-1 Rick has the scar on his left eyebrow. 

Posted by: MacGirl Dec 27 2005, 06:35 PM
All right! I just got S4 today and threw myself a Mac marathon. Of course, this was one of the eps I watched, and it was the first time I'd seen it. A little unusual, with the twist that Mac ends up among an Amish community. This one was Mac at his very best... rescuing people in trouble, standing up for those who need a champion, and bringing people together, helping to heal some wounds along the way. They hit the trifecta on this one! Oh, yeah, and a cool MacGyverism with rescuing the kids from the well.

It was also what I call one of the "random good deeds" eps... along the lines of To Be a Man, Nightmares, and others where Mac needs help and is helped by someone who, in turn, needs his help. In helping them, he changes their life, and he also finds his own life changed in some small way, and comes away an even better person than he was.

I noticed that one of the themes that kept popping up in the show was exactly that: when you reach out to help someone else, they aren't the only one who benefits. You also come away changed and with another dimension to your perspective on life. Also, this is an ep that just shows that you never know who you'll run into along the road of life, and you never know how they may change your life, or how you might change theirs.

Oh, and of course, the "I died... and went to Thanksgiving?" line had me in stitches! 

Posted by: Alex-Wylie Dec 29 2005, 12:05 PM

Quick question... maybe MGod knows... Did Mac ever take his bonk and end up with a bandaid on the right side of his head? Seems like he's always landing on the left. 

Not MGod but from someone who has Christmas holidays and time to post a little again

Doesn't he in 'Strictly Bussines' ?

Posted by: Amy Dec 30 2005, 05:25 AM
I noticed that one of the themes that kept popping up in the show was exactly that: when you reach out to help someone else, they aren't the only one who benefits. You also come away changed and with another dimension to your perspective on life. Also, this is an ep that just shows that you never know who you'll run into along the road of life, and you never know how they may change your life, or how you might change theirs.

I love this about the show MacGirl! Boy, is there anything we DON'T love about it???????

I just got S4 and watched this one--I have to agree--this is one of my all time faves! Ya can't go wrong with Pennsylvania!

Not MGod but from someone who has Christmas holidays and time to post a little again

Good to see ya, Alex! Yeah, so where is MG on this one....Mr. MacGyver Trivia himself???????

Posted by: rockatteer Dec 30 2005, 09:50 AM
In golden triangle He gets hit on the right side of his head with a bamboo stick and has blood all over his right ear.

Posted by: Sjaop Mar 12 2006, 07:08 AM
I liked this episode, I voted good. I like the way he stands up for the Amish. They helped him, so he helpes them. And even if they hadn't I'm sure he'd be behind the amish.
Love the part when he says that about Thanksgiving. 

And he really looks sexy when he's hurt, it's like his eyes sparkle in close up.
I'm sorry, just had to get that out of my system, ... Back on topic then...

I also like the part when he warns Stevens (is that the constructor's name???) not to strike Jacob.

"DON'T EVEN.... think about it!" 
Brilliantly put!

Posted by: MacsChick Mar 12 2006, 01:26 PM
I just watched this episode again the other day, and I love it! It's a part of the Mac gets hurt/helps someone else and himself episodes that I sometimes like to watch as a themed marathon! I agree with how sexy he looks hurt (or otherwise). I just want to nurse him back to health! Aww! A little bit of the Florence Nightingale syndrome happens to me, I guess. You just want to mother him when he looks so cute and vulnerable like that! I guess that's why in my fanfics I often write him as hurt, but I try not to go too far--after all, I don't want him suffering all the time! 

He also looks sexy when he's all dirty in that well! He sounds so sweet when he's encouraging the kids and calls Christy "darlin'." Sigh! 

The kids' relationship was cute to see, and I like how it helped unite the Amish and the English. That Imminent Domain issue is still a huge one, and I think it's ridiculous that the government can strip you of your land to build something. 

I liked how Mr. Wrightman, Christy's father, was depicted as a man with a tough struggle on his mind. He looks reluctant to carry out his duties, yet he knows his men need work, too. I was glad to see he wasn't portrayed as a total bad guy. I'm glad they left that role to the redneck Stevens! 

Posted by: Amy Mar 14 2006, 01:39 AM
I liked how Mr. Wrightman, Christy's father, was depicted as a man with a tough struggle on his mind. He looks reluctant to carry out his duties, yet he knows his men need work, too. I was glad to see he wasn't portrayed as a total bad guy.

I liked that, too. He wasn't really a bad buy...more like a reluctant antagonist...That was good writing!

Toni Posted on Apr 3 2006, 01:32 AM

I loved this episode. I loved the line when he said about dying and going to thanks giving. roller.gif

Some great acting to from all the youngsters.

One of my favs

smallstart.gif Toni 

thlayli87 Posted on Apr 21 2006, 06:52 AM

Good episode. I also thought the story was sort of an amalgam of "Witness" and the incident with the girl trapped in the well.

I agree about the "I died and went to Thanksgiving" line...hilarious. laugh.gif

The episode brings up an issue that is still very relevant today (eminent domain).

Nitpick: When Stevens goes to blow up the drilling derrick at night, Mac and the Amish family are eating dinner at the time. A real Amish family would most likely not be eating dinner after dark.

rockatteer Posted on Apr 21 2006, 10:41 AM

QUOTE (thlayli87 @ Apr 21 2006, 06:52 AM)
Nitpick: When Stevens goes to blow up the drilling derrick at night, Mac and the Amish family are eating dinner at the time. A real Amish family would most likely not be eating dinner after dark.

I think they call that poetic license.

sak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacPhoenix
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 09:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Ghost Ship

Hi biggrin.gif

Somebody knows or we can find the leather jacket?
the name?

Thanks you very much

Bye
Cy

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 06:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather

One of the minor themes that I noticed throughtout the show that occurs here is that sometimes the antagonists are acting partly out of financial desperation.
1. Stevens mentions that he is about to lose his house and it is mentioned that the construction crew hasn't seen work in 2 years. I don't just see Stevens as a redneck. I see him as a really desperate man doing some really stupid things.

Countless other MacGyver characters act to keep from being financially ruined, to keep from going to jail or a combination of the two.

1. Eagles bad guys
2. Out in the Cold bad guys
3. the Sheriff in the Secret of Parker House
4. Blood Brothers drug dealers (partly also the power trip too)
5. The construction forman in Live and Learn
6. Foxworth in Log Jam
7. Nicholas Kasabian in Bitter Harvest
8. Strickland in Collision Course

Of course then there are the ones who act out of pure greed like Simmons in the Eraser, the bad guys in Renegade, or for a cause like Easy Target

Many others come to mind. Add your own--we can discuss the reasons why the bad guys acted so stupidly

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 06:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

but not in this thread. wink.gif

(needs a thread of it's own)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
shellgyver
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 10:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Spartan & Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Widowmaker, Serenity

This episode reminds me of the 'Simpsons' ep when Bart falls down the well,
and Sting helps dig him out;
Marge: Bart doesnt even like sting
Homer: shhh Marge he's a good digger

Great episode

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 10:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I wonder if that episode was inspired by that kid that fell down the well?

I mean the MacGyver episode, not the Simpson's one.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 21 October 2008 - 07:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I really like this episode. The story overall is good. I enjoyed all the guest characters. The kids, the Amish people, the violent foreman, the boss, even the police. Everyone, except for the dynamite happy guy, are just doing their jobs. Hard to pick sides on this situation.

And Mac was so wonderful in this ep. Even banged up, he can still be funny.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 27 April 2009 - 03:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Wonderful acting on RDA side where he jumps out of the jeep and next we see the little girl and boy race across the road and to MacGyver's side, where his eyes are half open and you can see how much pain he is in just by his face.

macsgirl1
  Posted on 6 May 2009 - 05:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I very much agree with you on this. It kind of nauseated me seeing Mac's head unsure.gif not to mention the damage to the jeep. jeep.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 19 June 2009 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

This is the first MacGyver episode where I remember thinking the whole feel of the show had really changed. Suddenly he's wearing a black leather jacket we'd never seen before, his pants and shirts are different, everything seemed different after this episode.

I guess it was a change of direction I didn't really like.. the beginning of the downward slide.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 25 November 2012 - 11:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

I really, really liked this episode.

Now, I'm far from an expert regarding the Amish people and their traditions--especially since I'm not an US citizen. But, from what I know, their depiction was about as close as it can possibly get in a modern film production.

Mac surely treats them with respect--yet, he's not perfect, and accidentally cracks a couple bad jokes, that he has to explain later.

And since I'm a h/c junkie... I found the scenes where Mac is receiving lots of TLC for his injuries to be truly heartwarming. And naturally, that comment of his is so sweet: "I died... and went to Thanksgiving?" laugh.gif

The accident looks freaky, by the way! ohmy.gif
I really hope this isn't how a Wrangler behaves for real if you suddenly get a flat tire.

As many people have previously stated, many of the "bad guys" in MacGyver are driven by financial issues. This construction manager is no exception. It's clear that he isn't really a "bad guy" in a traditional sense of the word, his main motive is to make sure that he can provide for himself and his daughter.

In the end, Mac's involvement here ultimately solves a lot of problems. Though we might not really know, one can assume that the Amish people eventually are to keep their land, while the Phoenix Foundation helps out creating a cost reducing plan for the transformation of the marshlands. The family conflicts *within* the Amish family, with the estranged brother, obviously also got resolved because of his part in the rescue operation.

And hopefully, the children will be allowed to see each other even in the future... (at least as they're young and "innocent..." one can only speculate that things may not be too easy if their friendship last until their teens... but that's another story!)

Definite "Excellent" from me!

PM                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 07:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Mac would have a chance to press parking brake or put the gear to park. But the jeep began to slide to right toward the fence and happened very fast, so it's understandable.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 08:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really enjoyed this episode. The Thanksgiving comment cracked me up, but the one that I really liked was when Mac was standing up to Stevens after he had threatened him with the axe. Stevens mentions that they even have a "cripple" to help them. Then Mac said something like "If you would go after a boy with an axe, then I am about your speed". roller.gif boxing.gif

All of the plots and sub-plots through this episode are truly nice and I agree with others that, though Mac had not planned his help he seemed to come away learning some new things about life himself.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 08:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 26 November 2012 - 05:48 PM)
Mac would have a chance to press parking brake or put the gear to park. But the jeep began to slide to right toward the fence and happened very fast, so it's understandable.

Yeah, he probably would. But I was just surprised to see the jeep start wobbling in the first place, considering that Mac's a pretty experienced driver. But some cars are probably more prone to wobbling, I just didn't imagine the Wrangler to be one of those.

And yeah, I'm actually speaking from experience--a couple years ago one of my rear tires exploded (I was driving mum and dad's old Saab at the time--I always check the tires of my own car regularly...). I was driving at approximately 120 km/h (that's roughly 75 mph), and this was an old car... but the only thing that happened was that I heard a huge bang, and a buzzing noise followed. I just pulled over, and stopped without wobbling whatsoever.

(On a side note--I was very upset to find there were no tools whatsoever in the car--but only about two minutes later a really nice guy pulled over, and offered to get some tools at the nearest gas station, for free. He happened to be a church volunteer whose motto was to help people out whenever he could. Sometimes, luck *is* on your side. smile.gif)

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 11:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity

Perhaps part of the problem with the loss of control was the fact that the Front tire exploded, which was his steering tire. Plus that curvy mountain road may have added to the problem. Just a guess. I have been fortunate thus far not to actually blow a tire while driving (luckily for me).

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 27 November 2012 - 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 26 November 2012 - 05:48 PM)

Yeah, he probably would. But I was just surprised to see the jeep start wobbling in the first place, considering that Mac's a pretty experienced driver. But some cars are probably more prone to wobbling, I just didn't imagine the Wrangler to be one of those.

And yeah, I'm actually speaking from experience--a couple years ago one of my rear tires exploded (I was driving mum and dad's old Saab at the time--I always check the tires of my own car regularly...). I was driving at approximately 120 km/h (that's roughly 75 mph), and this was an old car... but the only thing that happened was that I heard a huge bang, and a buzzing noise followed. I just pulled over, and stopped without wobbling whatsoever.

Mela is right. Blowing a front tire is vastly different to blowing a rear tire. When a front tire blows you lose your steering control, which from memory (I haven't seen this episode for quite a long time - it's don't really like it that much) didn't the jeep keep going straight through the fence on the corner instead of going around the corner?

Also we need to remember that this is Television, the crash was set up to look good on screen, not to be realistic. Realistic television wasn't done back in those days. The wobble etc was all for effect to look more spectacular. It had nothing to do with what would really happen if a jeep blows it's front tire.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacPhoenix
Posted on 13 December 2014 - 04:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

and about the jacket?

beautiful biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

PMUsers Website                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 31 January 2017 - 02:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 24 June 2008 - 06:33 PM)
One of the minor themes that I noticed throughtout the show that occurs here is that sometimes the antagonists are acting partly out of financial desperation.
1. Stevens mentions that he is about to lose his house and it is mentioned that the construction crew hasn't seen work in 2 years. I don't just see Stevens as a redneck. I see him as a really desperate man doing some really stupid things.

Countless other MacGyver characters act to keep from being financially ruined, to keep from going to jail or a combination of the two.

1. Eagles bad guys
2. Out in the Cold bad guys
3. the Sheriff in the Secret of Parker House
4. Blood Brothers drug dealers (partly also the power trip too)
5. The construction forman in Live and Learn
6. Foxworth in Log Jam
7. Nicholas Kasabian in Bitter Harvest
8. Strickland in Collision Course

Of course then there are the ones who act out of pure greed like Simmons in the Eraser, the bad guys in Renegade, or for a cause like Easy Target

Many others come to mind. Add your own--we can discuss the reasons why the bad guys acted so stupidly

The Sheriff in "The Secret of the Parker House" became a murderer because he didn't want to marry his pregnant girlfriend. That's harsh. Particularly when people probably wouldn't have believed Betty if she'd said it was his baby, because of the lead poisoning affecting her mind. They didn't have DNA then.

However, I agree that a lot of the villains were acting out of desperation. Eg in "Black Rhino". And there are often villains who say things like "I didn't agree to kill anyone when I signed up".

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 31 January 2017 - 02:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 19 June 2009 - 05:16 PM)
This is the first MacGyver episode where I remember thinking the whole feel of the show had really changed. Suddenly he's wearing a black leather jacket we'd never seen before, his pants and shirts are different, everything seemed different after this episode.

I guess it was a change of direction I didn't really like.. the beginning of the downward slide.

Maybe the brown jacket was getting very old and tired and Pete sent it away to live on a farm, with fields.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 03:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DashboardOnFire
Posted on 14 October 2022 - 01:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Reboot Specialist

SAK owned: a red one ;-)

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

That's always a sign you might be in trouble if your dashboard is on fire...
Currently blogging about the MacGyver Reboot on Dashboard On Fire

PMUsers Website                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll