Big explossion in Puerto Rico (finally over), Thank heavens it's over!!!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
ghostdoll
  Posted: 24 October 2009 - 06:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

around 12:25 AM on friday there was a huge explossion in the main gasoline warehouse of Puerto Rico (I'm not sure if that's how it's called in english and I apologize in advance for my ignorance). Most of our firefighters are still trying to stop this fire that it's still burning ohmy.gif

There are 20 HUGE gasoline "tanks" and already 18 of them have either eploded or caught fire. THe FBI sent people here to investigate once the fire is stopped. The Police, the National Guard and all those people that are experts in fire situations from New York and Los Angeles are here.

So far no one was "hurt", but lots of people had to be relocated since the fear of air contamination and acid rain is very high. Lost of buildings shook like if an earthqueate had hit and we were told that the explossions caused shocks of 2.8 in the Ritcher Scale ohmy.gif
This is the link to the picture of what's going on:
http://www.elnuevodia.com/fotogaleria/629732/

"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 October 2009 - 08:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Wow that looks pretty major. sad.gif

Hope they get it sorted out quickly.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted: 25 October 2009 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

Wow, that looks awful! Luckily the area is far from residential houses as I see from the photo but I think the damages done to the environment are pretty serious and long-lasting.

Hope the fire is put off by now and the authority could figure out the cause asap so that it would not happen again.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
ghostdoll
Posted: 25 October 2009 - 05:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

I hope so too sad.gif

Lots of people, especially the eldery are all saying that it's like living one of those "end-of-the-world" movies.

I live kind of physically far away from the zone (it's in Cataño, and I live in Rio Piedras), but if you get on top of your houses you can see the black cloud in the day and the orange sky in the night!

There are two jails in Cataño and the police used the public transportation busses (AMAs) to transport them to another jails in other parts of the Island. I was glad there were NO situations with that.

Apparently because of the first explossion, roads near the place have craked open with chunks rising over and the "holes" created filling up with oil. It was commented that the biggest fear are the "jet fuel" tanks that are there. One of the tanks has the "top cover" "lifted up" like when you use a can opener to open a can of soup but you don't cut the whole lid and leave a little corner still stuck to the can. Other tanks look like when you hold an empty can of soda and squeeze it (I apologize in advance for my ignorant way of describing what's going on. I really have no way to explain what it's going on, but I'm working hard to become better.)

Big pharmaceutical companies like Baxter and Abbot have been helping by bringing food and medical stuff for all our firefighters. I sort of have the impression than when things turn really ugly in Puerto Rico there are lots of good people willing to help happy.gif I just feel bad that it's in drastic situations like this one that our generous spirit shows up sad.gif

"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
ghostdoll
Posted: 26 October 2009 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

It's finally over. The place looks like a wasteland, and the investigation it's just starting, but at least the fire was finally taken control of and people can beging to feel somehow safe again.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacSAK
Posted: 27 October 2009 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Hiker

Favorites
Episode:Blow Out
Jacket:  Leather Biker

That's good! The fire was huge...

getcha pull

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 27 October 2009 - 05:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Ghostdoll, I thought of you when I saw that. I'm glad you're all right. smile.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll