Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 84 - Legend of the Holy Rose

MacGyver gets roped into helping an archaeologist friend who claims to have a map leading to an ancient artefact known as the holy rose.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 25 November 2006 - 06:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from May 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 1 ] [14.29%]
Excellent [ 6 ] [85.71%]
Total Votes: 7

Old comments

MacsChick Posted on Apr 17 2006, 03:13 PM

I love this episode, even though I've said before how irritating I find Zoe.  That long opening reminded me of earlier seasons when they did those opening gambits. It's such a cool escape, and it's so action-packed! It almost seemed like two separate episodes--the escape, and then Zoe's...uh..."request" for help. It's kind of like a mini-movie or something. I love when Mac goes on these Indiana Jones quests, and RDA did a really good job looking terrified by the swinging blade--he even starts sweating! He really looked scared!

"Indiana Jones already did that. I saw the movie." laugh.gif
--MacGyver, Legend of the Holy Rose part one

rockatteer Posted on Apr 17 2006, 04:23 PM

Um... the sweat was probably added by the makeup department, or maybe it was hot in the studio

Behind the scenes of blade scene

MacGyver Posted on Apr 17 2006, 06:19 PM

"Legend of the Holy Rose" (Part 1) was a GREAT start to the 5th. Season! It definitely got things back very similar to how the 1st. Season went. The rescue mission of Jed Shannon definitely felt like an opening gambit- and MacGyver building an ultralight plane for rescue has to be one of the greatest MacGyverisms ever! That was awesome! biggrin.gif
And MacGyver goes to look for the Holy Grail in this episode, even though "Indiana Jones already did that. I saw the movie." (in my case, many times! wink.gif ) The Von Leer brothers make great villians in both of their episodes. And I would definitely agree about it feeling like a movie. Both parts of the episode were even released together on videos in Spain and England.
And MacGyver being trapped under a pendulum blade- that's an awesome cliff-hanger ending! This is definitely one of my favorite episodes!

Sheepy Posted on Apr 17 2006, 08:54 PM
Wow, one of my alltime fav's.
I love the indiane jones plot, the interaction and the humor.
Love the part when he's in the dungeon of doom (or whatever) and he has to escape that....

I love his face when he finds out his houseboat is somewhere at sea.

And the way he pops out of the box at the very beginning

MacGyverGod Posted on Apr 18 2006, 12:59 AM

I voted excellent on this fifth season opener. For years and years I had to do it with about the last 30 seconds and the end credits of this episode. Because my mom taped other episodes over it. During the rerun six years ago I finally saw it. This is the second of his three two parted episodes. A way too rare phenomenon in the series.

Love the part when he's in the dungeon of doom (or whatever) and he has to escape that....

I also thought it was something like that too, in the middle of nowhere. Apparently he's just in the city of Merry Old London.

Did anyone notice Phil Sternweis in this one????

There's also a few great quotes in this one. Like (not entirely correct I know): Well gentlemen, I guess she's got you in what we call a stand off. So great!!!

I liked his sweating too and the fear in his eyes. I liked the *zoefzoef* sound as well. Plus because of this I find the pendulum blade a very interesting torture device. Intriguing isn't it?

MacsChick Posted on Apr 18 2006, 02:06 PM

I have to say that Rick looks scared in that behind the scenes pic, too! ohmy.gif

MacGyverGod Posted on Apr 19 2006, 04:40 AM

How would you look if you know that a big blade comes closer to you every time it swung around and cuts you in half slice by slice. Painful and bloody. That minute sure took a long time. 

MacGirl Posted on Apr 19 2006, 07:36 AM

Ahh, I finally got to see this! I'd seen Part 2 before, but never Part 1. Zoe WAS annoying, but I can understand where she was coming from in trying to find a more woman-friendly spirituality.

The Von Leers were great villains. Nasty enough to give you chills, but not over the top.

I think my fave scene was "That's what I think of your lousy English breakfast!" (Or was that in part 2? I'll have to watch it again.) laugh.gif

I loved the quotes, too. Can't remember any of them, but there really were some good ones. 

MacGyverGod Posted on Apr 19 2006, 09:46 AM

Zoe was annoying in her way of handling things, not to mention she's a feminist at heart. 'You really think the weaker sex can't handle a job like this?' or something like that. Gotta check that one out. Did she said 'sex' or 'gender'? I sure love that redhead and those blue eyes though. 

MacsChick Posted on Apr 19 2006, 03:37 PM

Even though the blade was probably fake and he was surrounded by film crew, I can imagine that it would still be a little scary... 

MacGyverGod Posted on Apr 20 2006, 02:12 AM

Wel probably it was fake one, though his belt seemed a little damaged. 

MacsChick Posted on Apr 20 2006, 02:55 PM

You're right about that, MacGyverGod! It was a little too realistic! Creepy! 

thlayli87 Posted on May 16 2006, 06:11 AM

Excellent episode. The escape scene in the beginning was so cool. The ultralight is definitely on of the most memorable MacGyverisms.

Great cliffhanger ending too. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 6 October 2007 - 07:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I watched this last night.

Hate the opening escape.. making a microlight is just too over the top.. even for MacGyver.. why didn't he just make a double hang-glider and sneak off the cliff... and how did nobody hear MacGyver trying to start that engine??

Hate that arrogant little... Zoe even more.

For some reason this episode didn't have the big adventure treasure hunt feel that they where obviously going for. I'm not sure why though... it just seemed to be missing a vital ingredient.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 26 February 2009 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I watched this last night.
I love the opening gambit. I actually wish the whole episode revolved around that adventure, rather than the silly 2nd rate Indiana Jones rip-off that it ended up revolving around. But, as it is, at least the opening was great throwback to the opening gambits of season 1.
And as silly as the homemade plane is, it's hard not to be entertained by it. I remember loving it as a teenager, and although it seems a bit silly now that I'm older, I have to remind myself that this IS a kid's show, so it should be judged as one.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 April 2009 - 06:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Miasma @ 27 February 2009 - 10:00 AM)
I have to remind myself that this IS a kid's show, so it should be judged as one.

And you would be wrong.

The show originally aired with something like a PG rating. It wasn't intended as a kids show.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 29 April 2009 - 07:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

The end credits include a Special Thanks to Riane Eisler of the Center for Partnership Studies.

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 10:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I loved the character of Zoe. She's the female version of Mac in this episode. I also loved how excited he got, when he figured out she was onto something. One question wasn't this supposed to be a two hour movie event? Or am I remembering something wrong? hmm.bmp

PM                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 8 May 2009 - 11:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yes they were mirror images. I loved how she got his attention. roller.gif Perhaps he should have been a little more polite to her since she did have his "life line" MacG.gif

PM                                                                     
Dennman
Posted on 12 March 2010 - 01:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Passages.
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Great episode. I remember when it first aired that Lise Cutter reminded me a bit of Carey Lowell from the then new Bond film, Licence To Kill.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 19 April 2010 - 08:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

I voted "OK." I really didn't like Zoe's character. She was way to determined to get what she wanted, even if it meant MacGyver potentially getting hurt or killed in the process. What artifact is worth getting someone killed over? Mac needs to learn to say no lol.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lostsouls
Posted on 19 April 2010 - 10:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege,Passages
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (MacLovin @ 20 April 2010 - 04:57 AM)
Mac needs to learn to say no lol.

Especially to his friends laugh.gif

"This is one of those times when you go one way or the other and the
rest of your life depends upon which way you pick."

PM                                                                     
WhatMeWorry?
Posted on 20 May 2011 - 11:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Easy Target

Why is Mac's so dark in this episode? It seems like he had it dyed dark brown. Very strange.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 08:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif This was a great episode with a movie like feel. It mirrored the Indiana Jones trilogy, the third Indy movie was released that year. The adventure like tone was great. Mac on a quest to find a legendary artifact. The opening gambit was cool, Mac making and ultra light aircraft was one of the best Macgyverisms of the series. A weak point was the Zoe character, she could be irritating, and the actress portraying a archaeology professor was not convincing as a academic. Overall the episode was good, the villains were worthy of Mac's attention the Von Leer brothers. I liked it as a teenager because of the adventure scenes and intrigue. I was into Indiana Jones then. The cliff hanger added to the suspense.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 19 August 2014 - 05:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

This episode despite the fact that it was a good entry was in essence an Indy clone. The Last Crusade was a massive hit back in 1989 and sparked a lot of interest in the Holy Grail. This in turn influenced the writers to capitalize on the interest. I had the greatest fear when I first saw it because I thought they were going to copy Indiana Jones.

Fortunately, that was not the case and this story focused on one of many variations to the Grail legend. Keeping it fresh with different locations and good humor made for an exciting two-parter in the Indiana Jo...I mean MacGyver series. tongue.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 22 August 2014 - 11:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

It's a good episode, there's adventure and humor and the cliffhanger at the end. That blade (even if it's fake) is really touching the belt! ohmy.gif

Zoe IS insistent, but Mac can't say no because after all he likes misteries and discoveries, like The treasure of Manco, Eye of Osiris, Lost treasure of Atlantis. And redheaded people are usually stubborn, so nothing strange. She's not that bad.

Somebody asked why his hair was dark brown? Nothing strange, he had gone through the chimney, that's why they dyed his hair I think. But it's in part 2.

The beginning is a little too unrealistic to me, but not bad anyway. I voted good because I like it but there are better episodes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macces
Posted on 13 September 2014 - 10:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hi there,

this is my 1st post on this forum and I'd like to start it with making some remarks on this episode:

The opening scene was really full of irony as it started with a thing not even MacGyver could do with only the equipment used in that short amount of time. I think it's just for pure entertainment..but I enjoyed it smile.gif

And the scene on his house boat when he woke up - also full of irony and it shows that even Macgyver can't handle everything wink.gif

I started watching episodes in 2014 only since the 3rd season, as I was a huge Macgyver fan in the 90's and now I got the seasons on DVD and being a Vancouver fanatic I just started to watch episodes since the time they filmed it in the Vancouver,BC area!

I surely will continue watching MacGyver from the beginning (1st season), as the plot & characters develop so much and I'd like to know how this Murdoc thing started. As I said I watched all the replays at the beginning of the 90's and now it's almost 25 years ago wink.gif

Oli from Germany

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 13 September 2014 - 11:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Let's not forget Mac did ask Alexander Shannon for a place where he could be alone for four to five hours to make the plane. So I think if you don't waste too much time, do the math and keep working you might come up with a result.

Indeed Mac had brown hair during this because he climbed through the chimney. You might think, they went back to their hotel and Mac freshened up before going to Cherbourg.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 28 December 2014 - 08:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

I love the opening gambit. I actually wish the whole episode revolved around that adventure, rather than the silly 2nd rate Indiana Jones rip-off that it ended up revolving around. But, as it is, at least the opening was great throwback to the opening gambits of season 1.

I completely agree. The opener was the best bit of this and, having watched it again, I don't like the episode any better than I did the first time. For me, it's partly the England thing - nobody talks like that! I expect it's the same when anyone hears their own country's accents done really badly - just sets my teeth on edge! blowup.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 12 September 2016 - 02:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (Rocket @ 28 December 2014 - 08:23 AM)
I love the opening gambit.  I actually wish the whole episode revolved around that adventure, rather than the silly 2nd rate Indiana Jones rip-off that it ended up revolving around.  But, as it is, at least the opening was great throwback to the opening gambits of season 1. 

I completely agree. The opener was the best bit of this and, having watched it again, I don't like the episode any better than I did the first time. For me, it's partly the England thing - nobody talks like that! I expect it's the same when anyone hears their own country's accents done really badly - just sets my teeth on edge! blowup.gif

Oh yes, the accents. Worthy contenders in the Dick Van Dyke Awards for worst English Accent ever. Honestly, couldn't they have borrowed some real English people or was there an issue with unions?

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 12 September 2016 - 03:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Zoe's quest reminded me a lot of the central premise of "The Da Vinci Code". Something something proof of God being seen as female yada yada yada.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 12 September 2016 - 03:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 25 November 2006 - 06:51 AM)

Old comments

MacGyverGod Posted on Apr 19 2006, 09:46 AM

Zoe was annoying in her way of handling things, not to mention she's a feminist at heart. 'You really think the weaker sex can't handle a job like this?' or something like that. Gotta check that one out. Did she said 'sex' or 'gender'? I sure love that redhead and those blue eyes though. 

Yes, Zoe is a feminist.

Fortunately, Mac is not scared of feminists.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 13 September 2016 - 12:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Beachbead @ 29 April 2009 - 07:08 AM)
The end credits include a Special Thanks to Riane Eisler of the Center for Partnership Studies.

Ms Eisler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riane_Eisler

Her book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chalice_and_the_Blade (although the person who wrote the wikipedia entry does seem to be letting their own views come across)

Thank you. That makes sense.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 29 October 2016 - 01:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (MacLovin @ 19 April 2010 - 08:57 AM)
I voted "OK." I really didn't like Zoe's character. She was way to determined to get what she wanted, even if it meant MacGyver potentially getting hurt or killed in the process. What artifact is worth getting someone killed over? Mac needs to learn to say no lol.

He's a grown-up. He made his own choice to get involved.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 02:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Episode:ETSS, Partners

Zoe was annoying with the amount of talking, but then I like Mac getting frustrated by his friends/co-workers, so I don't mind too much. The scene where is house boat is afloat is one of my favorites - but I always was entertained at Mac yelling my name - he does say Zoe a lot in this episode. laugh.gif

The opening gambit is definitely far fetched but still fun. The English accents are the WORST! Overall I give it a good, but just barely.

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 03:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

'Aren't you a smooth one, alright?' laugh.gif

I just never liked that Zoe seemed to imply MacGyver thought that women are the weaker sex.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 04:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Episode:ETSS, Partners

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 28 October 2018 - 03:44 AM)
'Aren't you a smooth one, alright?' laugh.gif

I just never liked that Zoe seemed to imply MacGyver thought that women are the weaker sex.

I took it as that's her standard soap box, so she threw it at him, but I didn't really feel it stuck.

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll