Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

One aspect of MacGyver which came through quite strongly was that he lived lightly as far as material possessions go. He went for functionality rather than owning stuff for the sake of it. He had a TV which suited his needs rather than the latest and greatest giant flat screen. He brought clothes because he needed them, rather than because he wanted them. He drove a jeep which was functional and did the job, rather than a flash car which he didn't need. All these things are aspects which, now more than ever, we should be taking on board with our own lives.

It seems that most western countries have a decreasing employment rate and an increasing unemployment rate as we strive to do things more efficiently with less people and with this decrease in jobs comes the increase in need to live on less. The key to doing this is to live functionally rather than materially and MacGyver was the master at doing this. Repair things if you can, only buy things you really need. Reuse items where you can. These are all ideas which take us back to a more basic and may I add, more relaxed and stress free way of living.

I myself went through a spate of materialism as I worked through a high paying contract which allowed me to be quite materialistic. Now that the contract has finished I'm back on a low income as I look for new work, I find myself reverting back to the simple basic things in life. Food on the table, clothes on my back and only buying something if I need it. And to be honest, I think this simple approach gives you a more enjoyable and relaxed life-style.

Here's some great ideas on how to re-use items around your home.

25 Ways To Reuse Everyday Items
Recycling guide
49 Creative Reuse Ideas That Will Inspire & Surprise You

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 25 December 2012 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 27 November 2012 - 12:03 PM)
One aspect of MacGyver which came through quite strongly was that he lived lightly as far as material possessions go. He went for functionality rather than owning stuff for the sake of it.

Ha! It seems few can relate to this, KiwiTek. I can though, but I've long noticed I seem to be a tiny minority. I don't own anything just to own it, each thing has a purpose and use, and if it does not, then it has to go. I really hate stuff sitting around that I don't use, be it big or small. To me it's either wasted space, in the way, or could be turned into money to buy things I really will use. Even the few number things that I collect has some purpose, and none of it's just for the sake of having it on a shelf.

When people move they normally go through their belongings and toss a lot of stuff, but this has never been the case with me. I suppose that says my mind might be wired up a little differently than the norm, but hey. lol I'm perfectly happy with not having lots of junk around.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 25 December 2012 - 02:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Interestingly though MacGyver admitted to being a pack rat in the Hood episode, which seems to contradict this particular character trait now that I think about it.

PM                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 25 December 2012 - 04:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I think he keeps things that are of sentimental value. Perhaps things he's picked up in his travels or anything that people give him, or remind him of someone he cares about.

If you pay attention to his decor, most of what he has laying around seem to be what I would call "memories".

If that makes sense... lol

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 25 December 2012 - 08:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

I do keep some things for sentimental value - letters, notes, items that belonged to people I care about, toys I've had since I was a little kid. Examples of what I won't keep lying around are like an extra vacuum cleaner, an old bbq grill, tools i don't use, crappy vacation souvenirs, etc. Have you ever went past a pile of furniture and trash set by a curb and wondered why someone would've been keeping such junk to begin with? Same thing at garage sales and thrift stores, I look at a lot of that garbage and think good grief, Charlie Brown. So much junk a sensible person would have never purchased in the first place.

Seeing stores and everything closed for Christmas today got me thinking. What would happen if we had more days out of a year where everything shut down? I wonder if this would help shake people out of the need to always be out buying silly, throw away, materialistic junk, and get them thinking about more important things.

I had to work today, on Christmas. I watched people coming and going and wondered would it really be that hard to get by a single day without that pack of pop, that case of beer, that frozen pizza? Couldn't they have just planned ahead and stayed home today, spent that time with people they care about, kicked back and relaxed and just enjoyed a peaceful day of the world doing nothing?

No, I guess not. Consumers must consume, and money must be made at all times.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 25 December 2012 - 09:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Wheeljack @ 26 December 2012 - 05:51 PM)
I had to work today, on Christmas. I watched people coming and going and wondered would it really be that hard to get by a single day without that pack of pop, that case of beer, that frozen pizza? Couldn't they have just planned ahead and stayed home today, spent that time with people they care about, kicked back and relaxed and just enjoyed a peaceful day of the world doing nothing?

Seriously? People can't plan ahead 1 day??

Here in NZ it's a legal requirement for stores to be closed on Christmas day and limited hours for boxing day (with the exception of Gas stations and convenience stores) so we have to plan ahead at least for 1 day.

When I was a kid (late 70's - early 80's) all stores were closed on Saturdays and Sundays and they opened until 8:30pm on a Friday night, so as a result Friday night was a social occasion as everyone went in to town to stock up for the week-end. Then slowly over time stores began opening for Saturday mornings in the cities and then all day, and then Sunday mornings etc until now we have most stores open 7 days a week.

I live in a small town where most stores still close on Sundays and only open on Saturdays until lunch time which is a nice "old fashioned" kind of "world doing nothing" feel.

PM                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted: 18 August 2013 - 07:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif Macgyver's possessions were what suited his lifestyle. We all know that Mac was a backyard mechanic and it made sense for him to own tools. He was an outdoorsman so he possessed outdoor gear. Mac did not go out and buy the newest electronics or clothes unless he absolutely needed to. His T.V. Was not the newest that was available at the time. His Jeep showed use.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
AmigaDeVenezuela
Posted: 30 December 2018 - 03:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Partners and Friends
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

Just because a smart if something I own breaks doesn't mean that I'll go get another. I'll mend clothes or find a way to repair furniture orcwhatever before buying another. I repaired a guitar case handle with things I found at a hardware store.

Attached Image
Attached Image

"He always used to say, 'There are no great things to be accomplished in? this life, just small things done with great love.'" Rachel, remembering Father Jim

"Primitive working conditions. Lowsy hours. Monster workload. No pay. What a deal!"-MacGyver Slow Death about the clinic for Hassan's people.

"...but our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us." Peeta Mellark in Catching Fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll