Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

roller.gif Scary but true. We are slowly becoming a one collective.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 24 June 2016 - 12:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

Scary but true. We are slowly becoming a one collective.

Maybe, but not in the UK this morning!! roller.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 24 June 2016 - 12:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

You can say that again! surprise.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 5 July 2016 - 08:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Here's a great article and video about a guy getting the work/play/life balance right. Lucky guy!

This Guy Has the Perfect Work-Life Balance. You Can Too.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 6 July 2016 - 11:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

That's awesome... There's something about nature that has such a great recharging effect. I have a lot of friends that keep telling me how burnt out they are. I've told them to take a day trip or a long weekend out of town. They don't seem very keen on it though... most of them just want to stay home and do nothing.

When I was burnt out at my previous job, going out of town actually really helped me a great deal. Couldn't explain why that was... but I was in a MUCH better mood when I returned.

Two things I've always wanted to do was rent a cabin on a lake somewhere... cookout and just kinda enjoy nature. The other was to go back to Lake Placid in the Fall and stay at Whiteface Lodge. So far... none of my friends are interested. They all want to go to Vegas... =P

Seriously... how can you say no to place like this: Whiteface Lodge

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 6 July 2016 - 01:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Jediferret - tell you what, when I get those 6 numbers up I'll come with you! biggrin.gif

Seriously I love the outdoors, I really hate the fact that I have an IT based job, but working mostly from home is a plus as I can spend some time having tea breaks in the garden. I sometimes think I'd like a job building something like dry stone walls, but cash gets the nice things in life and so I work on my PC. I'd like a cabin by a lake too, but I don't think we have such things in the UK - it's nice to dream about though. Anyhow, I've just booked a weeks camping trip on the South coast of the UK at the end of August with the kids. We will be on a formal camping site so not hiking with a tent - though we will go out for daily hikes and visits. I have a large tent that you can stand in, and we take things like airbeds, tables, chairs and a decent 2-ring gas stove - it more than roughing it, but not as posh as glamping. I never have an electric hook-up though. However, we won't go entirely off the grid, we will take mobiles and I'll have internet access for things like the weather forecast. They will charge slowly from the car when we are out and about - it isn't that I can't manage without a phone, but when it is just me looking after the kids the fact that they exist provides a little reassurance. I have a very basic GPS system if we hike somewhere a bit obscure - no map display - just figures so I can double check a map reference (I like a bit of redundancy in a system, and I've already purchased the 1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - we always take basic emergency hiking gear with us and I know a good deal about emergencys. If it was just me, yes, I'd be up for some back-packing (which I've never actually done), but I don't know if I'd entrust the safety of my family to just me. Does that sound daft?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 6 July 2016 - 02:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Air pollution is a major contributor to oxidative stress. I'm not going to list the chronic diseases that this kind of stress is linked to, but it is extensive and you guys are well adept at Googlin' by now. wink.gif So, with that little ditty in mind, a woodsy retreat with fresh country air 'should' start to work wonders on your system within minutes of intake and within hours begin to scrape the cerebral rust from your circulatory pipes. Spend a week and you may never leave for "The Big Smoke" every again. biggrin.gif Heck, if you could ever combine your true calling/passion with a more country lifestyle, that would be the ultimate in therapeutic lifestyles. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Jedi, Whiteface looks really cozy and there are plenty of maple reds in those Adirondack autumn hues. I love sitting out on the verandah at twilight in those kind of places, with a slight crispness in the air and drink in that woodsy/earthy aroma of decaying leaves combined with the faint hint of a distance wood fire. Heaven on Planet Earth!

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 6 July 2016 - 08:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well, darn gosh, im just not so sure anymore Jedi. Just did a search on Lake Placid on my trusty Google bar and look what popped up!
user posted image

Think I'll take my chances at home with the rats outside. biggrin.gif

(Just kidding. Whiteface Lodge looks incredible!!!)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 7 July 2016 - 07:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I agree! Count me in!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 7 July 2016 - 08:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

LOL! Denizen... XD I remember for years after that movie came out, that's all my mother would talk about. OMG! We're going to Lake Placid! Look out for alligators!! lol

Maclover - You bet!!! I think one of the hardest thing for me to find in friends is a willing travel buddy. They're either not interested, don't have the money and/or don't have the time. I would probably get a cabin with indoor plumbing and electricity, just because I wouldn't be able to completely rough it... well, at least, not my first time doing something like that. Eventually, I would love to do the whole camping thing once I know what I'm doing. haha!

Joe - Completely agree with you. The town I live in has a lot of pollution from the bourbon distilleries, and it's been linked to the areas high cancer rate. I've done a bit of research on it as well, just because there's been this black gunk on everything here... it was all over my truck when I had it. Found out it was a fungus that is caused by the ethanol(Whiskey Fungus). So far, there's no proof it's hazardous, but I don't think it's completely harmless either. The smell alone from the cooking bourbon is not only gross, but it's very strong and heavy, and it's even worse in the summer humidity.

Fall/Autumn is my favorite season for many reasons... the changing of the tree colors, the smell of wood smoke and the cooler temperatures. In fact, Fall is when I'm the most active because the weather is so nice... so, I know what you mean. lol When Fall rolls around, I'll try to get some nice pictures from Bernheim. It's lovely there and I don't go there as much as I'd like. =P

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 7 July 2016 - 08:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

So there you have it! Whiskey fungus does onto gators what radiation does to lizards!
user posted image
user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 25 September 2016 - 04:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 25 September 2016 - 11:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

KiwiTek, As with so many similar things, the irony is always how you viewed it, isn't it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

In recent news the importance of disconnected down time has been discussed. And it seems more important than ever before. I have liked a Facebook page about a person who suffers from burn-out and who dedicates the page to peoples with burn-out. She says and this has been confirmed by a neuro-psychiatrist that it's important not be online all the time because 20% of peoples between the age of 25-35 wake up exhausted because we are always connected. You're constantly alert and we want to do and be too much at the same time which makes you so inefficient. Burn-out is something that happened mostly between the age of 45-50, but the last few years the age of 25-35 took the lead in this. And it happens more and more.

The neuro-psychiatrist says it's important to learn how to use technology and how to divide your workday: being connected, being disconnected, deal with real people, when to work.

The issue has been addressed in recent programs: the news and other talkshows. I hope they start realizing now we are dealing with a serious problem here. People who are barely out of school are burned out only after a few years.

It sure makes me look on the current situations and I'm pretty sure we're destroying ourselves with what we expect from ourselves. So make sure you disconnect in time.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 2 December 2016 - 06:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 2 December 2016 - 03:03 PM)
In recent news the importance of disconnected downtime has been discussed. And it seems more important than ever before. I have liked a Facebook page about a person who suffers from burn-out and who dedicates the page to peoples with burn-out. She says and this has been confirmed by a neuro-psychiatrist that it's important not be online all the time because 20% of peoples between the age of 25-35 wake up exhausted because we are always connected. You're constantly alert, and we want to do and be too much at the same time which makes you so inefficient. Burn-out is something that happened mostly between the age of 45-50, but the last few years the age of 25-35 took the lead in this. And it happens more and more.

The neuro-psychiatrist says it's important to learn how to use technology and how to divide your workday: being connected, being disconnected, deal with real people when to work.

The issue has been addressed in recent programs: the news and other talk shows. I hope they start realising now we are dealing with a serious problem here. People who are barely out of school are burned out only after a few years.

It sure makes me look on the current situations, and I'm pretty sure we're destroying ourselves with what we expect from ourselves. So make sure you disconnect in time.

So very true indeed, MacGyverGod!

I hardly ever am online, seeing that I have other responsibilities to take care of in the real world, in any case, I completely agree with this observation...

MacGyverGod
Posted: 12 December 2016 - 09:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Here's again something I found very interesting on disconnecting.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 1 May 2017 - 03:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

Wow, another great thread to comment on!! Though I must point out the irony that as we are complaining of technology taking over our lives, we are sitting at a computer!! Anyway, at work the computer is my life-line. E-mail is THE way to communicate, even with co-workers in the same office area. Sometimes I'll walk into someone's office and literally say: "I was going to e-mail you but it's easier to just tell you..." I also make a habit of "unplugging" before bed. About an hour before I go to bed I turn off my computer and sit in the den with my mom and read a book. A REAL book, with paper pages and everything! My major time to disconnect comes once a year when my parents and I rent a house on a lake. There is no phone so we take our cell phones mainly for emergencies and safety matters (we both still just have an old fashioned flip phone that just makes phone calls). Unfortunately, due to the way society has almost forced tech upon us, we now also take a laptop because we found we could get NO information about events, attractions, restaurants, etc. without going to their website.

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 1 May 2017 - 10:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I like it! Unfortunately I've been spending waaaay too much time on my phone. I really need to disconnect and go back to smart phone free days....

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 July 2017 - 07:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It's been a few months in this topic but I just wanted to share something here. Since the past month or so during several weeks, I've been sleeping with my cell phone off. I can tell you one thing, I've been sleeping better and deeper without that thing on. Anyone else who has tried to before and what were your experiences? Sleeping with a turned off cell phone for the first since perhaps the day you bought it?

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 28 July 2017 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Ever since I switched out from a flip phone to an Android I've found myself glued to the thing. I need to try that! biggrin.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 July 2017 - 01:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I still have my very first phone I talked about here. Turning it off is a good thing.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 July 2017 - 05:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (uniquelyjas @ 2 May 2017 - 11:48 AM)
Wow, another great thread to comment on!! Though I must point out the irony that as we are complaining of technology taking over our lives, we are sitting at a computer!!

Oh it's much worse than that!

I'm typing this reply on a smart phone!! doh.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 28 July 2017 - 06:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

And I'm reading this on mine!!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 30 July 2017 - 02:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

I lot my alarm clock for a while following a trip (its a travel one and I've always taken it on trips) and for about 6 months I've used my mobile as an alarm and clock in my bedroom, I have one of these stands and it charges as it sits on it and it has an 'always on' display that runs on minimal current which shows a clock.

However, what I discovered is the phone also has a 'do not disturb' setting on it. I can set a time night and morning and between those it won't ring, buzz, bleep etc. The only permitted action is the alarm in the morning. The only slight problem is that if a message arrives a blue light flashes on the front of the charger, so I just sit something in front of it so I am not disturbed by the flashing. Though this is only an issue when I charge it upstairs and have it plugged in apart from that I just use the stand to hold it upright.

I quite like the flexibility that this allows and I must admit the phone is easier than remembering to flick the clock alarm each night and constantly changing it for my odd different days. When I need the 0415 alarm I just flick that on and the other one off and even that is easier than the palaver involved in changing the alarm times on my other little clock. It does seem the best of both worlds.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 13 August 2017 - 02:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

I'm soon changing my smartphone back to my old basic cell phone. I have owned my first smartphone like two years and I still haven't got used to this habit that I had to charge this phone very often. That leads sometimes to the problem when I'm waiting my friend to call me, so hours later I realize that my battery have been dead, so no wonder that nobody called. I had to charge my previous phone like only once in 1 month and I still have that routine printed into my brain.

Couple years ago I was considering to get long-life battery for my basic cellphone just for fun, to see if the charge holds a life over an month, but before that happened I suddenly got the smartphone as a gift so here I am struggling with battery life.

It doesnt really matter if I would change back to the older one, because I'm using that smartphone anyway as the old phone = haven't found need to use that wifi in public place or in home. I like to use rather computer in home and writing emails on my "office" table and when reading some interesting articles in web I'm kind of more focused in quiet place like home, so I don't have to interrupt my reading and focus where I'm going like in local bus or train.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 August 2017 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Must be a real old model than. I still have a 2005 model which needs to be recharged about once a week. Currently what's holding me back to buy a new one is indeed the same reason as you. If I want something from the forums or Facebook for instance, I'd rather do it on a decent computer than to have to stare on a small cellphone display. If I would buy one, I think I'd more do it for the games on it than anything else.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 13 August 2017 - 10:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

The time when I had that old phone I was in school and I guess back then I didn't really made so much phone calls because all my friends were studying in same school so we saw each other face to face everyday so we didn't have to call to ask that can anyone hang out after the school. I also made more those "How you're doing" phone calls with my relatives couple times in month which were probably the only calls which duration was in minutes. So that kind of pace kept my phone alive about month.

That actually wasn't so old phone, some 2010 released. I read a while ago reviews from my old phone first time and I was surprized that everybody was complaining about the battery life that it's too short. I guess you have to make super duper so much calls, but in my experience if it stays on table not completely OFF but with key lock ON or you make only seconds long calls every day, it doesn't eat anything from the battery. And when the battery shows very narrow red bar, you can still use that phone like 48 hours and make average amount of calls. That eased my panic when once I had to make very important phone call and I noticed the bar changed to red.

Now in job life I haven't experienced to use that older battery life, but these days if I'm hanging out I first send a message rather than call to say only couple lines, so that can still make the older phone stay alive longer, if I take it back.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 14 August 2017 - 01:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Using your computer and phone separately like that is probably a pretty good way of controlling the constant connection. It's like having a built in down time.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 14 August 2017 - 02:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I barely make phone calls and I hardly ever get called. There is occasional texting but also rather on the rare side and to be quite honest, I consider it a disturbance.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 14 August 2017 - 06:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Now that you mention it, I probably use mine more for the internet than anything else. With a couple exceptions, my phone doesn't ring and only a couple people text me with any degree of regularity. When I had my flip phone, it hardly saw any use. I'm almost tempted to find one again..... biggrin.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll