Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I'm with the consensus here that Axminster and his bad guys sucked. The concept, Mac meeting his grandfather for the first time in years and then the two of them surviving in the wilderness, was great, but would've been enhanced by better bad guys.

And like a couple people have said, the scene of him blowing up the refinery could've used a little more elaboration. I would've been happy with losing the opening gambit and replacing it with an extended scene at and after the refinery.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 25 March 2011 - 06:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Hell Week
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

The acting in this episode is terrible. Not RDA's, though, but Axminster and his buddies was horrible.
'I'm gonna run him into the ground!!' umm, yeah, you just made me laugh, lol.

They could have gotten a better bad guy though.

The opening gambit when he got the carrot out, I forgot that he ate it last time I saw this episode (about a month ago) so I was thinking what he was gonna do with it, then he eats it. Mac, you gotta peel the darn thing first!!!!!

And then sticking it in his pocket...what a good man he is. Waste not want not, Mac...

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 25 March 2011 - 07:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Why you gotta peel the carrot?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mac8
Posted on 17 July 2012 - 06:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Target Macgyver

I thought it was a great episode with lots of macgyverisms! sak.gif

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 2 August 2012 - 03:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

Watching this episode made me so disappointed--for had it not been for the fact that the bad guys were so incredibly cheesy, it would definitely have gotten an "Excellent" rating from me. I mean, for GOD'S sake, every single line that came out from Axminster's mouth could easily have been cut from any action movie parody... and the way he delivered them! Ugggh.

Or, as people have already pointed out here, *if* he really delivered them, or they were dubbed in later. Maybe the wardrobe staff came back from their vacation (see my comment on the previous episode) and the sound guys were next in line for some time off? tongue.gif

No, but seriously--a little comparison; I was a hardcore Star Trek fan in my late teens. I've always been very impressed with the sound work on Star Trek; and please keep in mind this was WAY before the old Star Trek was digitally restored. My English was very far from perfect at the time, but I never had any problems following the dialogue, no matter if they were on soundstage or outside. In fact, this goes for all Star Trek series and films in my opinion--so I thought it was courtesy of Paramount. MacGyver, however, is definitely another story, and this episode is a prime example.

John Anderson was a great actor, but sometimes (and surely also due to the fact that I must keep the sound down a little, for my poor neighbors' sake) it is very hard to hear what he's saying. OK, English isn't my mother tongue, but I've experienced the very same thing with movies made in my native language, so once again, I blame it all on the sound department...

That said--I really enjoyed the reunion of Mac and Grandpa Harry! We get to know more about Mac's past, and the interaction between the two actors feels so natural.
When they first meet, Harry reaches out his hand, and Mac is ready to accept it, but instead, Harry goes for the suitcase, ignoring Mac's outstretched hand. However, at the end of the episode, we see them in the same position... and not only does Harry accept his hand, they actually meet in a heartfelt embrace. Great closure.

Regarding the opening gambit, and the destruction of the plant, I found them both to be more proof that Mac's attitude changed in the later seasons (for the better...).

As mentioned, this had been a definite "Excellent" vote for me, had it not been for the bad guys. Now, it's just a "Good".

PM                                                                     
Macap311
Posted on 7 August 2012 - 06:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: many+100 ep SAK

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Widowmaker, Holy Rose

I'm definately a fan of this episode! If only because I had such a close relationdhip with my grandfather. And whenever I see Mac and Harry it brings back memories of my childhood and my 'Buddy' (that's what I called grandpa!)
Anyway...I assume John Anderson was no relation? But always imaged they were! Lol!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 14 November 2012 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I agree with many of the comments on this episode about the poor sound dubbing and acting from the bad guys. I really expected more of the bad guys myself.

I really liked the interaction between Mac and Harry. Someone made comment about thinking it was odd of Harry to stop in the middle of the road and ask "Bud" what he does and what was going on. I found this totally in character of what we know of Harry. Bud's "lesson at center" and other references give us a good idea that Harry was a man of honor and integrity which he tried to pass on to "Bud" (for the time he was in his life). Remember, at this point Harry has no idea of the kind of man that "Bud" has grown into. So it only makes sense that Harry would refuse to go any further unless he knew that the reason they were running was honorable. If for instance Mac had grown into a troubled man, it would have made sense that "Bud" might have been running from the law. Harry would have not gone for that and I would have figured that Harry would have required "Bud" to turn himself in and pay for his mistakes. Once Harry finds out that "Bud" is running from a bad guy and he is an honorable man, then he goes along with it.

I really liked that reminder that Harry was still making sure Bud was a good person! happy.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacManx
Posted on 28 March 2013 - 05:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Sooooooo hard

Very much agree with the bad bad guys, Mac blowing up a nuclear facility, Mac with gun, continuity, sound etc.

But things I love: the carrot, so waiting for what ism Mac will do with the carrot and he eats it.
Harry and Mac missed handshake in the beginning to hug in the end
When Mac pulls out is SAK to dig, so does Harry. You see a bit of where Mac got it from
Harry won't work with Mac till he finds out that he is the good guy.

Duck tape is like the force; it has a dark side and a light side; and binds the universe together.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted on 28 March 2013 - 08:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

The only three good things in this episode were RDA, John Anderson and the MacGyverisms. The dubbing / voiceover work was very amateurish as were the performance from the bad guys. The action was . . . not very actiony. Is that even a word? hmm.bmp This is probably my least favorite episode.

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 11 July 2013 - 12:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

ok, so here's a question.

What's the whitish dispenser thing on the wall have in it? Is it packets of smokes or something else?

user posted image

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 11 July 2013 - 02:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

Matches? smile.gif

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 11 July 2013 - 03:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

Definitely a vintage kitchen/camp match dispenser. Here's a similar one for sale on eBay. Click Here!

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted on 11 July 2013 - 05:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

We had one of those in a house we flipped. But I thought matches went into it like this:
user posted image
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product17980

To me, that really looks like a pack of Marlboro cigarettes.

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 1 August 2013 - 07:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

Meeting Mac's grandfather and learning some of Mac's back story were positives to the episode. The Isms were pretty good.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 27 February 2014 - 03:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

I think this eppy falls into the category of "so bad, it's good." laugh.gif

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 20 April 2014 - 04:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

The final scene where Mac reaches out to shake Harry's hand and Harry hugs him instead is very touching. Especially when Mac buries his face in Harrys shoulder. wub.gif

PM                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted on 22 April 2014 - 04:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

I had a similar match holder in my treehouse when I was a kid (yes, my parents let me play with matches and do mostly whatever else I wanted to do). That does look just like a pack of Marlboros, of "Morleys" as they call them in tv land. Weird. Maybe it's just a funny way the packs of matches are stuck in there that makes it look that way and it isn't really cigarettes.

This episode would be better with all the bad guys scenes edited out and just Mac and Harry running around for unseen reasons. lol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 20 August 2014 - 12:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

I agree with everything that was said about the bad guys. I really don't like Axminster and the bad guys. Maybe they didn't care about the bad guys characters very much to focus on the relationship between Mac and Harry, which is the main part of this episode. In fact I like the interaction Harry/Mac. At the beginning Harry was a stranger and by the end they embrace each other. clapping.gif

I liked also the opening gambit, it's more plausible than others. The fact that he eats the carrot I think is to highlight the fact that in such a moment he's so calm that he's even hungry. blink.gif

I don't think it's so strange that Washington asks a secret agent to blow up a Middle East nuclear refinery plant. They had to find a reason for Mac to go to Harry's place. But maybe they should have avoided the opening gambit and found another reason. Someone said that maybe that is not RDA because he's all hidden. I think he is, because not many have so thin legs blink.gif Just my thought.

All in all, I voted excellent for this episode, because even if there are some little marginal flaws, I liked it. thumbup.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Walter
Posted on 24 January 2015 - 08:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Log Jam
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Was there any significance to the captured general at the start of this episode being a female?

I can't help thinking that there's some kind of negative stereo type going on there. Firstly I would assume female generals back in the 80's were almost unheard of, but then they plant one as a damsel in distress needing to be saved by MacGyver. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 9 November 2016 - 01:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

QUOTE (Macap311 @ 7 August 2012 - 06:43 PM)
I'm definately a fan of this episode! If only because I had such a close relationdhip with my grandfather. And whenever I see Mac and Harry it brings back memories of my childhood and my 'Buddy' (that's what I called grandpa!)
Anyway...I assume John Anderson was no relation? But always imaged they were! Lol!

I didn't check, but it seems unlikely that they were related in real life. I doubt either of them are related to other famous people with the same surname or variations on it (Pamela Anderson, Gillian Anderson, the guy from ABBA ...). In real life, I have a not-particularly-common surname, but every so often I encounter non-relatives who share the surname.

If RDA had had a more unusual surname, I doubt he would have felt the need to include his middle name when applying for acting jobs.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 9 November 2016 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Walter @ 24 January 2015 - 08:07 PM)
Was there any significance to the captured general at the start of this episode being a female?

I can't help thinking that there's some kind of negative stereo type going on there. Firstly I would assume female generals back int he 80's were almost unheard of, but then they plant one as a damsel in distress needing to be saved by MacGyver. hmm.bmp

Maybe they'd planned a more active role for her, but got told by the network people that they weren't quite sure if the audience could cope with a female general.

I do tend to prefer the episodes where the writers come up with actual lines for actresses to speak.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 10 November 2016 - 02:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (RadiantRose @ 10 November 2016 - 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (Macap311 @ 7 August 2012 - 06:43 PM)

I didn't check, but it seems unlikely that they were related in real life. I doubt either of them are related to other famous people with the same surname or variations on it (Pamela Anderson, Gillian Anderson, the guy from ABBA ...). In real life, I have a not-particularly-common surname, but every so often I encounter non-relatives who share the surname.

John Anderson is no relation to Richard (as far as he knows).

If RDA had had a more unusual surname, I doubt he would have felt the need to include his middle name when applying for acting jobs.

Richard was required to use his middle name because the actors union doesn't allow the use of already existing names on their list - Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman from the 6 Million Dollar Man) was already registered so RDA had to either use his middle name to make it unique or choose a stage name.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 10 November 2016 - 02:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I always thought Pamela Anderson was his niece and he was her famous uncle. tongue.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 17 November 2016 - 02:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I just had an advert try to sell me power tools named Axminster!

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 17 November 2016 - 04:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Wouldnt trust 'em if i was you. laugh.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 17 November 2016 - 05:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I really should get around to changing my favorite episode to this one, as it's the one I go to more than any other. I really enjoy this one, as does my family. Harry rocks and I think Axeminster is the classiest hitman this side of Murdoc!! I can't imagine him actually being any good at the job, but some of his one liners are great! The opener was pure Mac....loved the carrot and the whole device he made to distract the bad guys. The longer I watch Mac, the more I try to see things the way he does.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AmigaDeVenezuela
Posted on 18 September 2018 - 06:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Partners and Friends
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 9 September 2007 - 07:26 PM)
I think someone has already brought up this idea, but the "blowing up a nuclear facility" scene would have been better as an opening gambit, and then the rest of the show would have followed along nicely after the opening credits.

Maybe so. Then they would have had some more transition time from the facility explosion scene to the scene at MacGyver's pad.
The last time I watched this episode my cat plopped herself in front of the TV (that's where she naps) before the explosion scene started.
While the explosions are happening she's nodding off. Video exists if her falling asleep with the explosions in the background. Not posting the video. That's a no-no. You'll have to come over to see it.

I did like the opening gambit, though. I had that same toaster oven. The guys trying to walk on the oil-covered floor. biggrin.gif roller.gif

"He always used to say, 'There are no great things to be accomplished in? this life, just small things done with great love.'" Rachel, remembering Father Jim

"Primitive working conditions. Lowsy hours. Monster workload. No pay. What a deal!"-MacGyver Slow Death about the clinic for Hassan's people.

"...but our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us." Peeta Mellark in Catching Fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AmigaDeVenezuela
Posted on 18 September 2018 - 07:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Partners and Friends
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 25 March 2011 - 07:06 PM)
Why you gotta peel the carrot?

I don't know why you would to. As a kid my family had a garden. I would pull one out of the ground, wash off the dirt first, and eat it in the garden. I didn't take a peeler with me. biggrin.gif

"He always used to say, 'There are no great things to be accomplished in? this life, just small things done with great love.'" Rachel, remembering Father Jim

"Primitive working conditions. Lowsy hours. Monster workload. No pay. What a deal!"-MacGyver Slow Death about the clinic for Hassan's people.

"...but our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us." Peeta Mellark in Catching Fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 14 February 2022 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Couple random things I noticed when I watched it this time around:

The pickup truck Harry drives when he's getting MacGyver from the bus station. Is that the same one that MacGyver drives in the later seasons of the series, just black instead of beige? If so, that's a nice touch.

"Come on, Harry, you're the one who taught me it's about the fishing, not the fish." A Jack O'Neill moment twelve years before he played Jack O'Neill. Safe to assume that's a Richard Dean Anderson real-life truism.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 February 2022 - 03:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Hannibal_Smith @ 14 February 2022 == 02:54 PM)
Couple random things I noticed when I watched it this time around:

The pickup truck Harry drives when he's getting MacGyver from the bus station.  Is that the same one that MacGyver drives in the later seasons of the series, just black instead of beige?  If so, that's a nice touch. 

"Come on, Harry, you're the one who taught me it's about the fishing, not the fish."  A Jack O'Neill moment twelve years before he played Jack O'Neill.  Safe to assume that's a Richard Dean Anderson real-life truism.

No. The black one in Target Mac is a ford. The yellow one is a Chevy.

It's still a nice throw back. I guess they just wanted something a little nicer looking for the screen though.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll