Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 41 - Bushmaster

When MacGyver is sent to Latin America to rescue a pilot on trial for being a spy, he learns too late that the pilot’s daughter has followed him there.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 01:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from 26th March 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 11 ] [73.33%]
Excellent [ 4 ] [26.67%]
Total Votes: 15

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod May 30 2005 @ 06:52 AM )
I voted Good. A great opening scene at "war" and the story quickly evolves into our regular MacGyver episode. Great rescue episode though. 

QUOTE (sonyab Jun 2 2005 @ 06:56 AM)
I voted good also.. It's funny bushmaster is a game and the gun is fake but yet Mac STILL didn't want to use the gun..  Oh Mac hehehe. I liked how the father and daughter bonded. She thought that he wanted her to be a son and it wasn't true.. Pretty cool episode. 

QUOTE (sylviagzz Jun 2 2005 @ 07:48 AM )
I liked it...

the only part that freaked me out, was when Mac caught that rat! 

Ewww!!!  The things Da'Man has to do.... 

Sylvia

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Jun 2 2005 @ 08:16 AM )
When I watch this scene, I think it's the most powerful scene of the episode. I always like it when the first scene is suspenseful with the exciting background music while the credits appear on the screen. Bushmaster is a game I would like to play some day with all those war simulations. If that's how they train soldiers? BTW you know that Renee Estevez is related to Emilio Estevez.

I liked it...

the only part that freaked me out, was when Mac caught that rat! 

Ewww!!!  The things Da'Man has to do.... 

What's wrong with rats? They're like mice.

QUOTE (sylviagzz Jun 2 2005 @ 09:39 AM )
Ewww!!! Mice! 

Sylvia

QUOTE (MacGyver Jun 2 2005 @ 02:58 PM)
As Bill and Ted would say, I voted "Excellent!" (Insert air guitar riff here)

Bushmaster had great MacGyverisms, like filling the holes in a radiator with egg whites! And I did like the war games scenario too. That was cool and exciting. Another good episode, as usual.

QUOTE (zhennu Jun 4 2005 @ 12:14 AM )
I voted good. Although this was my first episode to watch, it wasn't as appealing to me as the rest of the episodes. But the MacGyverisms made me more curious to watch the rest of the episodes. 

QUOTE (MacGirl Jun 28 2005 @ 09:30 PM )
<It's funny bushmaster is a game and the gun is fake but yet Mac STILL didn't want to use the gun.. >

Yeah. Just shows you how good they were at keeping the character consistent. Must have been a challenge sometimes.

The MacGyverisms were good, especially the radiator-egg white trick. Wonder if that one would really work?!

And I thought the scene with the rat was cute. 

QUOTE (rockatteer Jun 29 2005 @ 08:07 AM)

The MacGyverisms were good, especially the radiator-egg white trick. Wonder if that one would really work?!

Apparently the egg whites is a very old and well known 'old time' trick.
I remember when I first watched this episode, my parents where watching as well and my mother said about using the egg whites before Mac even did it.

and then in later years I have heard other 'elders' say talk about it also.

So I would say, as long as the holes where small, it probably would work.

QUOTE (Tomms247 Oct 19 2005 @ 01:19 PM )
i think that was a classic episode from season 2? yea season 2, where he helps Kelly get her Dad back, that huge guy who was running a plane over and got shot down and arrested. Top episode that was, had the classic MacGyver theme music in the back ground aswell i love that music...

QUOTE (Asbjørn Jan 23 2006 @ 11:44 PM )
Yes, the egg- whites would work, at least fro a little while. - Mythbusters tested it once... 

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 24 2006 @ 02:54 AM )
something i never understood though. when pete gets shot in the beginning why does mac come up and check him. he knows there just paitballs, or is that part of the training that you have to check for life. mac does a good job acting when he gets shot. he looks down at the wound and falls down. also an hillarious scene i think is when he says " i need some help from the locals, local chickens that is" great line. i voted good on this one. i don't like how kelly comes along and foils macgyvers plan. i like when he says "kelly your going the wrong way"  i think the fact that kelly comes along is what makes me give it a good rating not excellent. i just dont like her. although she is hot!! mmmhm 

QUOTE (Amy Jan 24 2006 @ 03:04 AM )
I voted excellent--I really like this episode a lot. I think Kelly coming along and messing things up just makes it all the more "MacGyverish" because now he's got to keep her out of trouble along with saving her dad. For whatever reason Mac check's on Pete, it definitely adds to the the shock value--I bet the first time you saw the episode you were pretty put out that Pete got shot...and then Mac!  Great episode. 

QUOTE (MacsChick Jan 24 2006 @ 11:23 AM )
Yea! Mythbusters! I love that show!  And yeah, it's true, you can use egg whites to fill radiator holes, but I'm pretty sure they'd probably have to be small holes.

I didn't remember this episode, so when I saw the opening, I was pretty shocked, too. I thought the simulation was real, because both Dana and Richard did a good job acting dead, which seems like that would be a challenge. I was worried at first, because I didn't know where the story was headed, so when you learn that it's a game, you're so relieved! Whew! Good episode. 

QUOTE (Lothithil Jan 25 2006 @ 07:11 AM )
Wicked trick, making us think that Pete and Mac were shot! Lots of great MacGyverisms and a marvelous cast... I voted excellent! 

QUOTE (Amika Sep 1 2006 @ 01:29 PM )
i like this episode a lot.. too bad they didn't bring back Renee Estevez again to the series, she look really great in this episode.. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 April 2009 - 07:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I remember being shocked the first time I saw this, when Pete and MacGyver get shot.

I also love the scene where Pete points out to MacGyver and says "There it is. There's your rescue team."

For me that really exemplifies what MacGyver is all about. He's the guy you turn to when there's no-one left to turn to.

happy_dance.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 10 June 2009 - 01:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I think that scene with the jeep racing along the train track is shot in the same place as the "Slow Death" episode.

I'm sure that's the same place.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
bobmorton
Posted on 2 February 2011 - 09:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I think you're right, I have also watched that scene.

NightTinkerer
Posted on 25 September 2012 - 02:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

I have somewhat mixed feelings regarding this episode.

On the one hand--I do agree that no one should pretend to be someone they are not, especially if Kelly just engaged in the bushmaster game (etc) just to please her father, thinking he'd rather have her act like a boy.

On the other hand, however, I found it confusing and not really knowing *what* to make of the fact that she chose to follow MacGyver on the rescue mission, only to make lots and lots of mistakes. Of course, she *is* confused, and she desperately wants to rescue her father, but what I *didn't* understand was whether the writers wanted to show us that she made all of these mistakes because she was a woman?

Maybe it wasn't their intentions, but sometimes, it sure felt that way, anyway. No, I'm not a feminist, but I thought the emphasis was that had she been a boy, she'd been way more rational, and it would have made sense that she tried rescuing her father. Now she just seemed very immature, and annoying.

The MacGyverisms were very cool though, especially the radiator thing, of course (and LOL, once again, all the jeeps look alike no matter where they are... wink.gif)

Had it not been for the very doubtful reasoning regarding the role of a daughter/son, this would have been an "Excellent" episode for me. Now, it's just a "Good."

PM                                                                     
Traveller
Posted on 26 September 2012 - 04:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

I must say, I have watched this episode a lot of times, and never, ever did I make the same connection you did. And I think I know why. Your reasoning is based on your perception of Kelly as a woman, whereas I in my view – and I think the writers' too – she is still a girl, a kid, who wants to play with the grown-ups. That's why Mac tells her: 'This is not a game.'
So this episode is not about a woman who makes the mistakes a man wouldn't, it's about a girl, a kid, who is as impulsive as we know kids are. She acts before she thinks, and doesn't see the dangers she puts herself and others in. She's a pretty dumb kid too, not even thinking about a passport or food. All she can think of is filling a bag with the stuff she used for the bush game, except for the gun, which probably belongs to her father. Apparently she learned how to sky dive, although I can even imagine she would just jump out of the plane without any preparation. She's a sweet dumb kid who desperately wants to please her daddy – girls tend to idolize their fathers. At the end of the episode we get a glimpse of the woman she is going to be.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 26 September 2012 - 02:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Traveller @ 26 September 2012 - 02:14 PM)
I must say, I have watched this episode a lot of times, and never, ever did I make the same connection you did. And I think I know why. Your reasoning is based on your perception of Kelly as a woman, whereas I in my view – and I think the writers' too – she is still a girl, a kid, who wants to play with the grown-ups. That's why Mac tells her: 'This is not a game.'
So this episode is not about a woman who makes the mistakes a man wouldn't, it's about a girl, a kid, who is as impulsive as we know kids are. She acts before she thinks, and doesn't see the dangers she puts herself and others in. She's a pretty dumb kid too, not even thinking about a passport or food. All she can think of is filling a bag with the stuff she used for the bush game, except for the gun, which probably belongs to her father. Apparently she learned how to sky dive, although I can even imagine she would just jump out of the plane without any preparation. She's a sweet dumb kid who desperately wants to please her daddy – girls tend to idolize their fathers. At the end of the episode we get a glimpse of the woman she is going to be.

Yes--I *hope* that's the way the writers were reasoning, and that might have been their intentions. The way Mac brought it up, though, (mentioning that she thought her dad had always wanted her to be a boy), just as they were discussing the reasons for her rescue attempt, made it a bit confusing. They could have been more clear on that issue, I think.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 1 April 2013 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Something I noticed is the soldier Salazar shoots sounds like the radio voice we hear in multiple episodes like Bitter Harvest and Obsessed.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 6 August 2013 - 06:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

Charlie Sheen's sister was a cutie back then! Other than that headline, the episode is nothing to write home about. I was a big fan of 'McMillan & Wife' back in the 70s and John Schuck was hilarious in his supporting role on that TV movie series .... so I was expecting something better of this one. Not! Sorry to say - just your average Mac hour.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Schmendrick
Posted on 2 October 2015 - 04:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Odd Triple

Thought I might add this image from AT&T uses Uverse description of this episode. Wow, can you say misleading? Some person who is not very familiar with this series is going to think MacGyver has a daughter now! I hope the guy that wrote this gets fired. Also, can you see the cast list for this episode? All of the staples are included, but almost a full THIRD of them are not featured in this episode at all!

Made me laugh.

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 2 October 2015 - 04:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

How about making the picture a little smaller?

I think mistakes like that happen more than you think. I remember in the description I read about Serenity in magazine Mac escapes to the year 1867. Sure like the Civil War lasted from 1863 to 1867.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 October 2015 - 11:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Wow, check out the airdate. And check Mac's resignation letter in Friends. While we were enjoying his latest adventure on his birthday, he was thinking about resigning.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 17 October 2016 - 04:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

I always liked these episodes when Mac is sent far and abroad to rescue someone.

This one had cool macgyverisms. (The radiator/egg stunt is a classic)

I think the set for the city was used in Extreme Prejudice, with Nick Nolte and Powers Boothe, at least it's very similar.

4/5 sakopen.gif

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 17 October 2016 - 05:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

Yeah, the part about how her father had wanted a boy was a little bit confusing.

But I think in the end the message was that she should decide for herself whether bushcraft was something she enjoyed.

Nobody said, "Your dad should get over not having had a boy. Do you like knitting pink things?"

I think the message was that people aren't carbon copies of their parents. Somewhat similar to "Hell Week".

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 22 December 2016 - 12:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

Although, now I've also watched "Ugly Duckling", they both end slightly awkwardly. "Yes, we showed that our young heroine is brave and resourceful. But do not worry. She is also capable of looking feminine." As if the audience needed reassuring. Then again, maybe they did.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 18 November 2020 - 02:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 18 November 2020 - 02:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Another great adventure
4 sak.gif sak.gif sak.gif sak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll