MacGyver movie announced
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Are you pleased to hear about this movie?
Yes it's good news. [ 13 ]  [65.00%]
No they should leave MacGyver alone. [ 7 ]  [35.00%]
Total Votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 March 2009 - 10:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

According to a news report from The Hollywood Reporter, the 80's icon, MacGyver is set to be made into a feature film.

Raffaella De Laurentiis, daughter of Dino De Laurentiis, is producing the film through her Raffaella Prods. company along with Martha De Laurentiis and series creator Lee Zlotoff and Dino De Laurentiis as exec producer and will be released through New Line Cinema.

There is currently no script or writer for the film, but the studio hopes to find a script which will do justice to the shows iconic status.

Read our news bulletin

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 March 2009 - 10:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 04:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

OMG! happy.gif I really never thought they'd ever get around to it...

Now I'm all nervous and stuff... Will it be great? Will it not? Will they cast it right? Do I have room on my DVD shelf for another movie...? laugh.gif

I'm giddy as a height-sensitive troubleshooter on a tall ladder!user posted image

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 06:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I'll reserve judgment, but I'm not excited by this. In fact, I'm not at all in the 'this is a good idea' camp. Never have been. But you never know...it might not be terrible.

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 08:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I really hope RDA plays Mac. Without him, I just don't think I'll be able to see it as the same character. If Harrison Ford could bring Indy back to life at 60-something years old, there's no reason why RDA can't do it too. But, sadly, I bet they'll opt for a younger actor.

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 10:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I think they should make a nice two hour tv movie, like I've said before, dealing with Pete's death, and maybe having Mac attend the funeral. I don't think a big screen production is going to work with this series. Especially if RDA doesn't come back as Mac. open.gif

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 12:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

If RDA comes back at Mac it COULD be good. Even then, there's no guarantees (look at how bad the two TV movies were.) But if he doesn't come back, then I'd prefer that they didn't bother making this.

@SMeeceymouse:
I know what you mean about it seeming better suited for TV, but the problem with TV movies (especially for something like this) is that the production values tend to be incredibly low. At least with a Hollywood movie, there's some hope that the sets won't all look like cheap soundstages, and maybe there will actually be a semi-decent actor or two in it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 12:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Wow, this news has really spread like wild fire. It's all over the news feeds. smile.gif

I thought it was interesting to see that Lee Zlutoff was involved right from the get go.

Remember he announced a few months back that he was working on a script.

See his speech here

I remember he talked about how he thought the MacGyver of today would use something like a Leatherman rather than a SAK. Thats bad Karma straight away.

I guess we just have to wait and see if this news goes any further. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a movie has been announced and then stalls for months even years. A classic example of that is the Knight Rider movie, which still doesn't even have a script over a year after it's first announcement.

One thing is for certain thought, they better not try to make it a comedy as they did with previous old TV shows like Starsky and Hutch.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
banlu
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck

Another article http://screenrant.com/MacGyver-movie-niall-6141/

"It was fun for its day but it will be difficult to balance the shows easy going charm and farfetched gadgetry with today’s Bourne style ferocity."

It's the easy going charm that will be sacrificed for the special effects, I'm afraid, and without that, it will be jsut a bunch of science lessons.

banlu

A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 01:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (banlu @ 17 March 2009 - 09:38 AM)
Another article http://screenrant.com/MacGyver-movie-niall-6141/

"It was fun for its day but it will be difficult to balance the shows easy going charm and farfetched gadgetry with today’s Bourne style ferocity."

It's the easy going charm that will be sacrificed for the special effects, I'm afraid, and without that, it will be jsut a bunch of science lessons.

banlu

There is hope.

Remember the National Treasure movies? They had a very MacGyverish feel to them and worked really well.

So I think if that mode of thought is followed a MacGyver movie could work.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 02:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I just blogged this comment.

It pretty much sums up what I'm thinking about the news at the moment.

Not really sure how I feel about this. They’ve said that Lee Zlutoff, the original creator of the show, will be a producer, and although no writers or scripts have been mentioned yet, Lee did mention last year that he was working on a script, so one has to wonder if this is the fruition of his script.

I do have some hope knowing that Lee is involved. After all he created the show, but how much influence he has on the way the movie turns out is anyones guess at the moment.

If they follow in the foot steps of National Treasure and Indy Jones, we should get a fairly decent film out of it. And if Lee is involved in the scripting I would guess that he would write something along the lines of the first season action/adventure MacGyver, rather than the later seasons, so that would indicate that we will get something in the genre of National Treasure/Indy Jones.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

I for one am very interested to find out New Line Cinema is taking this one up. With Lee David Zlotoff being part of it, gives me some faith that it might work out. With movies like these coming up it's always the best to stay neutral and not expect too much. But I can see what you are hoping for and in a way I do too. I want the level and the reasonableness of National Treasure and Back To The Future. On the adventure genre, you can hardly go wrong if it's a decent script.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 04:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

One thing which doesn't sit very well with me was a comment from a New Line representative.

QUOTE (New Line's Richard Brener)
"We think we're a stick of chewing gum, a paper clip and an A-list writer away from a global franchise"

That comment doesn't give me a lot of confidence in regards to their attitude towards it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

I don't know whether that comment is a true reflection of their actual attitude, or a cheap sound bite provided so that columnists can fill empty space with the expected jokes. It's sort of like watching someone feed stale white bread to ducks and wondering if they use the same stale bread to make their own morning toast.

What also puzzles me is why Alex Billington is so convinced that it's a stupid idea. He doesn't actually give any reason at all for his bad attitude; he seems to think it's obvious. Whatever 'it' is.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 06:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 17 March 2009 - 12:02 PM)
One thing which doesn't sit very well with me was a comment from a New Line representative.

"We think we're a stick of chewing gum, a paper clip and an A-list writer away from a global franchise"

That comment doesn't give me a lot of confidence in regards to their attitude towards it.

No me neither Rocky.

I have mixed feelings on this really. If RDA doesn't get called for it or doesn't choose to do it...which I think may happen then it won't quite be MacGyver for me. If by some chance he does do it...I worry as I wasn't impressed with Indiana's comeback, Bruce Willis kinda did it, so there's hope. Reckon it's gonna be a while though.

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 06:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Call me a narrow-minded, set in her ways, fanatical old fuddie-duddie if you'd like, but I intend to boycott this movie if it ever gets made and RDA is not in it, and I'm not talking about some stupid "where are they now?" cameo, either--he would have to be the star. I'm sorry. I refuse to watch it or have anything to do with it if they put some imposter, imitation MacGyver in the film. dry.gif I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I'm not very optimistic about this one. sad.gif sak.gif MacG.gif word1.png word2.png

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 07:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

I have mix feeling towards this news: I'm excited to know Mac in coming back on screen but at the same time I know he will not be the same without RDA. Perhaps we could send our cast suggestion of the new MacGyver movie on the other thread to the producer for their consideration. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah that thread takes on a whole new meaning now doesn't it.

I just had another thought....

I wonder how this news will affect things like the MacGruber skits?
Will the big wigs at the production studio decide they don't want their new product being made fun of, and put pressure on SNL to stop the skits? Or will they think that any publicity, even in the form of parody skits, is good publicity and keeping their product in the public eye until the film is ready for release.

Or maybe they'll put the anchors on the MacGruber skits once the film is ready for release.

And here's another question... Did the popularity of the MacGruber skits have any bearing on the studios decision to go ahead with the film?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 10:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle

QUOTE (Rocky)
And here's another question... Did the popularity of the MacGruber skits have any bearing on the studios decision to go ahead with the film?

Well, we know that Zlotoff was shopping the project around last year. I personally suspect that the recent high profile of RDA's appearance on the MacGruber spots tipped off some Powers That Be to its viability. It proved that the characetr is still instantly recognisable, and still very popular.

As another litmus test of pop culture: MacGyver jokes appear every few days on the RoflRazzi site. Even though it's a joke site, the jokes are made with a sense of loving nostalgia.

I've skimmed the comment threads of a couple of the industry columnists that you flagged, Rocky (THANK YOU!!) At a rough guess, about two out of every three comments have been some version of "gotta have RDA, or it won't work." I've seen comparisons to Harrison Ford's success last summer ('if it worked with Indy, it can work with MacGyver') and suggestions that RDA could reprise the role in a Mac-comes-out-of-retirement-for-one-last-adventure story. That's certainly the direction I'd love to take it -- and without RDA, the only direction I'd want to go would be awaaaay from the movie theatre . . .

I've also seen a suggestion that, if they must cast a younger actor as Mac, they should then cast RDA as the villain!

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Lothithil
Posted on 16 March 2009 - 11:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 17 March 2009 - 12:49 AM)
I've also seen a suggestion that, if they must cast a younger actor as Mac, they should then cast RDA as the villain!

OOooo! That's a twist! happy.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 01:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 17 March 2009 - 01:02 AM)

Talking about writers. There's a couple of writers I'd like to see working on it. Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark) but that's never gonna happen. Jeffrey Boam (The Last Crusade) Maybe less impossible.

Further I'm thinking of the shows writers: John Sheppard (The Murdoc episodes, Passages, Lesson in Evil, but no Lost Treasure of Atlantis thingy) or maybe Lincoln Kibbee (Humanity, High Control, Honest Abe) Humanity could've been a great two-parter for the show or maybe as a tv-movie. As for High Control and Honest Abe I'd think they're great mixtures of action and comedy. They're exciting and funny at the same time.

Robert Sherman (The Gun, Second Chance, Rush to Judgment). I also think his episodes stayed close to the MacGyver concept. He provides action, messages/lessons and character development. Though sometimes it may have been preechy, a moment Mac is getting nervous or upset or other characters are getting upset with the situation. In almost every Robert Sherman episodes, Mac's getting trapped and works his way out and there's an occasional fight. Everything an episode needs.

Of course right now I think the only man right for the job is Lee David Zlotoff. After his talk about MacGyver I saw here, I'd say he's up for the challenge. And who knows what it could mean for his future career.

But it has to be a decent movie. No parody or making fun of. Unless it's decently done, but than again what does that word means in a big context. No overacted: 'Oh my God, how do we get out of here, Mac?' 'With this, this and that. Let's do it rightaway!'

Of course a sense of humour won't hurt it but the escapes and isms has to be serious and educational.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 02:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah they have to get the right combination of action and humor. The show itself never took itself too seriously, and I think thats one of the things that made it work, but when the situation was serious, so was the acting and writing, so as MG just said, they have to not make a joke of it all the time.

Having said that, it didn't sound like LDZ was interested in making a joke of MacGyver. He seemed quite serious about the character, so having him on board is good.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 02:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Here's an interesting little bit of information from The register

According to earlier reports on THR, New Line has been sitting on rights to the show for several years. Today's push is most likely a response to US skit show Saturday Night Live frequently airing "MacGruber" parodies — making the license more relevant for today's audiences. And now that SNL and MacGruber have begun unashamedly (and apparently successfully) hawking Pepsi products, we're sure New Line is positively slobbering at the license's prospects

I just had a hunt around on THR web site looking for the "previous reports" they mentioned, couldn't find em, so that kind of leads me to question the validity of their information. But they still make an interesting observation about the timing of this release and the popularity of the MacGruber skits.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 05:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

What kind of storyline would everyone want to see? A lot of people are drawing comparisons to Indy and National Treasure, but truth be told, I'd prefer that the movie is not about a treasure hunt. Those always seemed a bit hokey in the tv series. I'd much prefer something along the lines of "The Bush Master" or "GX-1" (or countless first season episodes) with Mac going into enemy territory to rescue someone and bring them back to the US. Nothing too preachy. Maybe just a quick mention about how guns are bad (purely to explain to the audience why Mac is not armed), but even that shouldn't be overdone.
The plot should definitely involve rugged, foreign terrain, not Mac dealing with inner-city kids in California. No Challenger's Club stuff. I want a good ol' fashioned Swiss Army Knife, Jeep, Duct-Tape adventure!

perfectlykevin
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 07:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Can I say "all?"

Boy, I've so many thoughts with this news! I tend to be in the "ain't gonna watch it if the original cast isn't reprising roles" but I'm going to wait and see on this. First and foremost for me is that they select a good script that properly reflects the many aspects of the show that I do love. I'ts not just a blow-up fest that MacGruber fans might know it as, it has to have the right blend of drama, comedy and cast interaction to make it appealing. Hopefully that will be the case. With that said, I would prefer to see RDA back in the role, but they might not go that way, and even RDA might not wish to do it (he's done parodies in MacGruber but not a full-on MacGyver so to speak). I wouldn't want to see just a cameo either. All or nothing for me, a cameo cuts the belief momentarily for me, and lets me slip out of the movie thinking, "hey! that RDA who used to play Mac!"

I also imagine the timing of MacGruber on SNL and Mac's return to the airwaves here in the US is designed to gauge the viability of the "franchise" and whether it will yield profits for the rights holder. Hopefully this will translate to a decent movie overall, and not just one geared to maximizing profits. A National Treasure kinda movie would be great, and keep it so a sequel would be believable (ie, no Murdoc style endings biggrin.gif ).

I'll keep my mind open to the possibilities and am encouraged that the creator of Mac is at least near the driver's seat. wink.gif

Kev

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 11:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Miasma @ 17 March 2009 - 08:04 AM)
If RDA comes back at Mac it COULD be good. Even then, there's no guarantees (look at how bad the two TV movies were.) But if he doesn't come back, then I'd prefer that they didn't bother making this.

@SMeeceymouse:
I know what you mean about it seeming better suited for TV, but the problem with TV movies (especially for something like this) is that the production values tend to be incredibly low. At least with a Hollywood movie, there's some hope that the sets won't all look like cheap soundstages, and maybe there will actually be a semi-decent actor or two in it.

I agree. I think they should stick with the original cast. If RDA doesn't come back then what is the point of making the movie. Has anyone heard what Henry Winkler thinks about this? He was part of the production team.

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 12:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I wonder if they'll actually be able to come up with a good female character in the movie, because throughout the entire 7 years of the tv show, they seemed to have a very difficult time creating a woman who wasn't (1) a total ditz, (2) obnoxious, or (3) mentally deranged and out to kill.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 02:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

In latest films we've always had tough chicks. In my opinion I'd say it's rather cool to have girl that knows something about everything and believe in emancipation. We need a Nikki character or just Nikki herself. Somebody who can think and act and not just scream. The most recent picture I had of Elyssa Davalos is from a couple of years back, I'd say three at most. And boy can I tell she is still good looking for someone being halfway forties. Now probably nearing end forties but she is indeed still good looking.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 04:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

I just heard that they are working on a MacGyver movie http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/16/macgy...p-dental-floss/

http://gizmodo.com/386877/holy-crap-macgyv...ter-film-coming

Is this old news? Any idea if RDA will be in it?

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

John Litteral
Posted on 17 March 2009 - 04:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll