Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Jack Dalton
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character?
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
user posted image [ 3 ]  [3.70%]
user posted image [ 11 ]  [13.58%]
user posted image [ 65 ]  [80.25%]
Total Votes: 81
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 May 2007 - 02:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Jack Dalton

Jack met MacGyver in High school, and travelled with both Mac and Mike Forester through Europe after they graduated. He settled in California, where he ran a short-lived taxi service before setting up a private airline, Fly-By-Night. Subsequent enterprises include Jack-Be- Quick Messenger Service and his current business, Dalton Air. Despite his numerous business failures, Jack remains optimistic that he'll some day make the big score.

Whenever Jack Dalton enters MacGyver's life, things always seem to get more complicated. He's always got something up his sleeve.

MacGyver can tell when Jack's lying when his left eye twitches.

In spite of all Jacks shortcomings and the problems he gets MacGyver into… he still remains one of MacGyver’s best friends, willing to drop everything at a moments notice to help MacGyver when he needs it.

Read full bio

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tandt14
Posted on 23 May 2007 - 03:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I love the MacGyver+Jack Dalton relationship. They truly seem like brothers. I not only grew to love MacGyver but some of my FAVORITE episodes involve Jack. My all time favorite is "The Odd Triple." Jack shows his true colors when he goes back out into France and tries to recruit help to go back and rescue MacGyver.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 23 May 2007 - 04:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

I think the FUNNIEST episode is Partners. It's really good in showing Mac and Jack's relationship... by allowing it to be observed by a third person - Pete. Nothing needs to be explained, it just happens.

Jack: Bazookas?...you can explain bazookas? YOU CAN NOT EXPLAIN BAZOOKAS!!!!

The hospital scene is the funniest thing I've ever seen. 20 years later... it was even funnier.

clapping.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 23 May 2007 - 06:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

"Partners" is definitely a great one- I've seen it many times. And one of the few where MacGyver, Pete and Jack and Murdoc are all in it. I also love "Unfinished Business" just because it's so fun watching Jack sucker MacGyver and Pete into panning for gold (and fishing for Pete- clearly the only reason he came! tongue.gif )
But yeah- Jack Dalton offered some great comic relief- but at the same time was also a loyal friend to MacGyver. Sure, he'd pull stuff on him, like say, emptying his house of its contents for a gag- but he'd also help him whenever he needed it. (Good examples- "The Odd Triple" and especially "On a Wing and a Prayer")
And Jack is actually the most recurring character with 17 episodes- and we hear his voice in "The Widowmaker" as he left MacGyver a message on his answering machine, and he's mentioned in "Halloween Knights"- as MacGyver actually visits his hangar and finds his cap and is lured in by Murdoc. And Jack shows up in flashback in "Hind-Sight".
I think the next highest after Jack is Murdoc- with 7 episodes- and 2 appearances in flashback (on "Unfinished Business" and "Hind-Sight")

I'm glad Jack was around so much- he added a lot to MacGyver. cool.jpg

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 May 2007 - 06:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyver)
and especially "On a Wing and a Prayer"

Yeah thats an excellent example.

MacGyver said "I need your help." and jack was in. didn't even care what it was, how dangerous it was. He was ready to help without a second thought.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 24 May 2007 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

On a wing and a prayer is indeed a good example and a great adventure involving the three. I do wish more episodes like that were made.
MacGyver having to ask Jack's help instead of Jack asking MacGyver. There's always Lost Love. It was always fun to have Jack around, always dragging MacGyver from one adventure into the other. Those adventures were great but what lifted up the level was like well MacGyver having to ask Jack for help, or when Jack just joined in. Jack in Friends, Jack helping Mac in Lost Love, Jack in Rock the Cradle (he didn't really asked for help), Jack in On a wing and a Prayer. That was actually a pretty nice gesture, sending the bill however... laugh.gif
Ma Dalton is even a better example, MacGyver just offers to help while Jack didn't ask him anything.
Brainwashed the same thing, but than they didn't know where they got in to. Jenny's Chance, an episode I dislikes because of the whole undercover thing, I liked it when Jack joined in the plan. Then again Kyle was his friend too.

When Mac asks Jack to help him out he said he's been waiting years for this. That proves Jack is ready to help whenever he can.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 24 May 2007 - 08:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

If I've said it once, I've said it a hun... well happy.gif a dozen times.

I love Mac and Jack together. biggrin.gif

As far as the relationship/friendship itself...

I have a friend like that. And I wouldn't call it a healthy relationship. laugh.gif She owes me money and has screwed me over in favor of a guy more times than I can count. Haven't talked to her in approx two years but if she called tomorrow, I'd go hang out, even if to just keep her out of trouble for those few hours. There's a history, familiarity and sense of loyalty (even if one way) that outweights the "bad blood". unsure.gif Silly wench! wub.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 24 May 2007 - 09:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

".... Now tell me you're not having just a little bit of fun!"

I do love Jack Dalton, for all his follies and foibles! As much as I tug at my hair when he gets our beloved Mac into trouble... he certainly doesn't shirk at any chance to do a favour for his friend.

In 'Lost Love' when Mac said that it was going to take two people to steal the Ming Dragon... Jack was onboard in a heartbeat!

"What the heck... nobody lives forever!" That's our Jack! wub.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 24 May 2007 - 09:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

Jack is one of my favourite recurring characters. There are times that, *gasp*, I think I favour him over Mac! wub.gif

He brings out this side of Mac that few other people do; a petty, meanish, sarcastic, exasperated side that really fills out Mac's character.

Jack is more complex than he's often given credit for, capable of real emotion and noble sacrifice, all couched in his apparent self-centredness. His exuberance, enthusiasm, and zest for life lend themselves well to Jack's unique brand of humour. He's a comic, but rarely a clown.

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 September 2007 - 08:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I really like the mac <-> jack relationship.. they knew each other so well that they could tell what the other was thinking without saying it.

They could practically finish each others sentences.. and in spite of all Jacks shortcomings I think when it came down to it he was just as willing to put life and limb on the line for MacGyver, as Mac was for him.

I think Pete realized this also, in spite of the fact that he hated how fool hardy Jack was, and how he always dragged MacGyver into his problems. He knew they where like brothers.

They actually remind me of a friend I had in my early 20's. We where best friends from high school and was very similar to the Jack Mac friendship. He was always dragging me into his movie making schemes and all sorts of other ideas. But we where like brothers, we could finish each others sentences, we could tell what the other was thinking.. probably because we thought so much alike.

So that may be why I like the Mac-jack thing so much... but what ever the reason, its another aspect of MacGyver which really pulled me into the show.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 6 October 2007 - 05:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Jack Dalton is a god. Period, the end.

LOVE HIM.

LOVE HIM, LOVE HIM, LOVE HIM.

I think my favorite episode is "On a Wing and a Prayer", but I also quite enjoy "Rock the Cradle", and well...just about any episode with Jack.

Love him.

The end.

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 6 October 2007 - 05:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Which reminds me that when I finish the huge SG fic I'm currently working on, I simply must finish my latest Mac fic, which stars, in no small role, one Jack Dalton.

Of course.

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 6 October 2007 - 07:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

Jack Dalton is a great character. He has a spirit of adventure and lives in the moment as if each day is his last. He has the ability to pull people into his schemes and is always dreaming of the one big score.

The Mac/Jack dynamic is a lot of fun to watch. No other character brings out the petty side of Mac the way Jack does. This was especially clear in Jack in the Box. Jack lures Mac into a little podunk town in Arkansas where Mac gets arrested. Jack expects Mac to break them both out of the prison and assist on a treasure hunt. At the end of the episode, Mac is thoroughly exasperated with Jack and gives him a butt reaming. Jack justs laughs and says what are friends for? All Mac can do is shake his head and smile. For me, this ending scene sums up their relationship perfectly.

Jack gets into trouble and never doubts that Mac will come to his rescue. When Mac needs help, he never doubts that Jack will be the first in line to help. This is the way true friends are with each other.

I dated a Jack Dalton once. Our dates were a lot of fun and I don't think I ever laughed as much as I did then. He was the life of the party and everyone had a good time when he was a round. The downside was that, until he showed up at my door, I never knew for sure if the date was on. He was notoriously late and never returned a phone call. We had a great time but I wasn't surprised when he drifted out of my life as abruptly as he drifted into it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 8 October 2007 - 10:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Mee too, In with Jack. Although the way he sucks Mac in his own mess drives me UP THE WALL!! mad.gif biggrin.gif But what would kemosabe compadre be without his old pal Jack?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 11 October 2007 - 04:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

Gotta love Jack!! He's one of my favorite recurring characters. I love how he's introduced in Jack of Lies... you all know by now that the scene in the airplane hanger is one of my all-time fave scenes. No matter how many times I watch that eppy, it still cracks me up.

He's so marvelously goofy and just grabs life by the horns. He can always make Mac smile, even when he also irritates the heck out of him. Plus, he'd do anything for Mac, no matter how crazy or illegal. Friends that loyal and exuberant don't come along every day. Mac was very, very lucky to have Jack in his life, and I think he knew it.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jess
Posted on 22 October 2007 - 11:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Wenger; black

Favorites
Episode:Too many to list.

Love Jack Dalton! Cooky fun and upbeat, adventure loving character that drives MacGyver mad. love the schemes he always thinks up and drags MacGyver into.

~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 01:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker
Jacket:  Leather Biker

How did I miss Jack Dalton? huh.gif (Bad me...!)

He is my favorite character in the whole MacGyver universe! Hands down! He a dreamer, schemer, all around pain in the a** who's a great friend friend to Mac.

Who else could get away with stealing a whole house full of furniture? Multiple times! Jack, of course.

I just love Jack! biggrin.gif

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 01:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (trtlsoup @ 28 October 2007 - 10:11 AM)
Who else could get away with stealing a whole house full of furniture? Multiple times!

didn't he only do it once?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 04:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I thought at least twice... hmm.bmp

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 05:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

once in Jack of lies.. when was the other time?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 06:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

It happened twice, but wasn't it Murdoc the second time?

Tricking Mac, using Jack's hat with blood on it...

And then it led him to the Mausoleum?

So...

Halloween Knights?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 27 October 2007 - 06:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Oh, and turtle, I agree.

Best.

Character.

Ever.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 28 October 2007 - 06:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Guess I REALLY have to brush up my Mac trivia. Maybe TVLand showed the same epi close together? I'm still in the 1st season with my DVD rewatching. My memory? ...phfttt... gone. *shrug* blush.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (the 'wabbit)
It happened twice, but wasn't it Murdoc the second time?

Murdoc? Maybe that's what I'm thinking about...

I always look forward to the episodes with Jack in them... and Bruce McGill... I've seen him in a lot of roles, but nothing compares to Jack.

IMBd lists him in 19 episodes. Wow!

MacsChick
Posted on 28 October 2007 - 03:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

What I like about him is this feeling of familiarity. It's almost as if all of us have known someone like him--scheming, lying, failing at everything yet always optimistic and hopeful--you can't help but love him. He has a bit of naivete about life, an almost childish view of it, that also makes him endearing.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
perfectlykevin
Posted on 29 October 2007 - 07:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Can I say "all?"

I just watched Jack of Lies the other night and I love Jack's character! It was fun to watch Mac sitting in the side car with that look on his face! ohmy.gif I thought it was also great the way they intro.ed Jack by giving some back story. Made me feel like I already knew him.

Of course we all have a Jack Dalton in our lives. One of my best friends is very similar. Not so much the schemes but well know for late night calls and daring misadventures. blink.gif

Kev

PS I added the Partners avatar and the same night watched that episode...(cue Twilight Zone music) whistle.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 29 October 2007 - 04:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Can anyone name all the episodes that Jack was in? (without looking)

I already know that I'd have to cheat...

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 29 October 2007 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hmm.. without looking eh?.. sounds like fun hmm.bmp

Jack of Lies? is that what the first ones called (my brain just went numb)
Dalton: Jack of spies?

Lost Love (part 1 & 2)
Partners
Jack in the box
Rock the cradle
Mask of the Wolf
Brainwashed
Unfinished business
On a wing and a prayer
Ma Dalton
The odd Triple
Jenny's Chance
Serenity
MacGyver's women
Mountain of youth

I'm still a couple short

edit: Ok I looked up the IMDd to see what the last 2 are, but I'm not going to add them, because that would be cheating.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 29 October 2007 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

His voice was in Widowmaker... does that count?

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Berni
Posted on 30 October 2007 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:can't decide

*excellent* vote

The funny thing is, that I totally disliked Jack when I saw the series as a child.
BUT NOW I really love him. He is a very special character, he adds a lot of fun to the episodes and his body language and facial expression is great. And he is a true friend of Mac's, although he might sometimes cause "just a touch of trouble".
Can't imagine the series without him.

The scene I remember most is the one where Mac meets him in his hangar and Jack pretends to fall down from the (roof) beam, but is actually tied to a rope. What a mean trick.

It was fun to watch Mac sitting in the side car with that look on his face!

Yeah, that was great.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Jess
Posted on 2 November 2007 - 12:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Wenger; black

Favorites
Episode:Too many to list.

No, can't say i know all the episodes Jack appeared in off the top of my head. but then i've yet to finish season 7 on DVD.

I love the way Jack rubbed MacGyver the wrong way with his practical gags and jokes. The look on Mac's face was always priceless when he realized it was Jack who was responsible.

what do you think is the best gag/prank Jack played on MacGyver?

~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll