SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

blueice:
Maybe you've aleady brought this up, but I was thinking about all the MacGyver episodes that were inspired by other films. This is what I came up with. Does anyone agree; how many more can be added?

Three Men and a Baby
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Boyz in the Hood
Cool Hand Luke
Night Crossing (escaping E.Germany in a hot air balloon)
The Naked Jungle
James Bond
Witness
Silence of the Lambs

Rockatteer:
lets match the films to the episode as we go.

The Italian job.... Theif of Budapest

MacGyver:
Well, "Thief of Budapest" actually used clips from "The Italian Job" and "Trumbo's World" used clips from "The Naked Jungle"!

Still, I don't like to think of them as rip-offs necessarily. I prefer to say that there are some MacGyver episodes inspired by the movies. It's hard to call a particular movie entirely original- in the case of treasure-hunting episodes inspired by Indiana Jones- well, just because Indiana Jones has hunted for ancient treasures doesn't mean he's cornered the market on it. And Indiana Jones was inspired by a lot of the serials and pulp action movies of the 1930s and 40s in any case.

But it's all good. Hmm- had MacGyver kept running through 1994 and beyond- and if Richard Dean Anderson was initially cast as Jack O'Neill in the "StarGate" movie- I wonder if MacGyver probably would have done a "StarGate" influenced episode. That'd be interesting to see.

MacGyver:
And for the record, assuming the original poster is referring to the "Lesson in Evil" episode, that episode was actually made in 1990 whereas the similar "Silence of the Lambs" movie was released in 1991. So perhaps, Anthony Hopkins took some lessons on being Hannibal Lecter from W. Morgan Sheppard's Dr. Zito!

Old Fan:
Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Tavern Scene is straight from The Eye of Osiris.

And little did anyone know that in the Eye of Osiris, the scenes shot digging up that big statue - the one that crashes and breaks up - (Not in the tomb) were done in "the Pit" - the big gravel pit that was used for so many Stargates.

blueice:
As far as borrowed footage goes, were shots from Top Gun used in episode GX-1?

Rockatteer:
Yes I think they did use top gun scenes

I don’t think we can call them rip-offs or even inspired by simply because they have borrowed footage from a movie.

Borrowing footage is a common practice in the time critical world of episode television. There’s a lot of work involved in making an hour long TV show and they only have 7 days to do it.

So some scenes simply can’t be done in that time frame, or budget, so they have to borrow existing footage.

I doubt there are any episodes which where written with the idea of adding particular scenes from a movie to it.

MacGyverGod:
Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Tavern Scene is straight from The Eye of Osiris.

It's the other way around. The scene from Eye of Osiris comes straight from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Phoenix under Siege is based on Die Hard.
The Outsiders is based on Witness with Harrison Ford.
Good Knight MacGyver is loosely based on Back to the Future and on a story which is mentioned in the commentary of the film.
There could be more in between.

Amy:
It's the other way around. The scene from Eye of Osiris comes straight from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

That tavern scene was VERY Raiders. Kind of made me wonder if they'd used the same set or something. It's been years since I've seen Raiders, so I don't know really.

Lothithil:
I've always thought of 'Good Knight MacGyver' as being based loosely on 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'.

MacGyverGod:
I think that was the story the director was talking about in his audio comments on the movie.

The reason I said it was because: MacGyver is meant to play Marty McFly, though he doesn't need to make his parents fall in love, nor does he has a skateboard, but just the thing between him and Merlin. Merlin looks like a hundred year old Doc Brown and then with the rainless lightning storm in the end and the kite.

j12752:
QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 23 2006, 01:52 AM)
I've always thought of 'Good Knight MacGyver' as being based loosely on 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'.

That's what it reminds me of too 

MacGyverGod:
Wasn't Twice Stung also based on a movie?

j12752:
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Sep 22 2006, 12:33 PM)
lets match the films to the episode as we go.

The Italian job.... Theif of Budapest 

"Faith Hope and Charity" = "Home Alone"

Lothithil:
Oh, you are most correct MacGyverGod... Back to the Future was very much like ACYIKAC... I'm just so old that I thought of Bing Crosby before Michael J Fox!

Loth consults her infamous notebook...

Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned where an episode remined me-- sometimes VERY LOOSELY-- of a movie that I've seen....

Brainwashed = The Manchurian Candidate
The Human Factor = 2001: A Space Odyssey Mac vs. Hal
Faith, Hope, and Charity = Arsenic and Old Lace Mac does Cary Grant very well, IMO!
Legend of the Holy Rose = The DaVinci Code Wait… the DaVinci Code came AFTER this episode aired…. Hmmmmm!
Cleo Rocks = Phantom of the Opera
The Battle of Tommy Giordano = The Godfather
The Madonna = A Christmas Carol Her name was Carol… get it? *giggle*
Serenity = The Quiet Man
Rush to Judgement = To Kill a Mocking Bird
The Visitor = My Favourite Martian
Strictly Business = The Most Dangerous Game
Walking Dead = To Live and Let Die
Deadly Silents = Sunset Boulevard
Split Decision = Rocky
Off The Wall = Turk 185
Blow Out = The Saint In one episode of Roger Moore's 'The Saint' he uses the paint-can-under-the bumper-to-follow-the-bad-guys-back-to-their-hideout trick.

It is said that there is no such thing as an original story. I like the way the MacGyver retells these stories, and adds many of that are his very own.

Lothithil:
QUOTE (j12752 @ Sep 22 2006, 09:28 AM)
"Faith Hope and Charity" = "Home Alone"

Hee hee! Mac as Maculcay? I can see that!

MacNymph:
:huh:

Oh, sorry Loth, I mistook you for a kitten with a piece of string. 

As you were.

MacGyverGod:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 07:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

MacGyverGod:

What did I say?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 08:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 8 2006, 03:18 AM)
MacGyverGod:

What did I say?

roller.gif

Had to come back to finish this post. When I first saw it I was laughing so hard I couldn't type. laugh.gif

OMG! That was funny! roller.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 09:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

huh.gif hmm.bmp I dunno! Lemme go look....

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 09:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Found it! See I had an issue posting this one. I think the board hiccuped or something when I hit the post button because it was there twice. Apparently it also cut off half the post. I deleted the double...but that one probably had everything! laugh.gif My sincerest apologies, MG! tongue.gif

Here's the rest:

MacGyverGod:
Split Decision = Rocky

Rocky was better!

Old Fan:
Taking it a step further...

Stargate SG-1's Season 1's Torment of Tantalus - the Kite and Lightning scene taken right from Good Night MacGyver Kite and Lightning scene - and O'Neill/MacGyver/RDA is the one who thinks of it.

And yes - very much Connecticut Yankee...

Yuri Demetri:
The robot guards in season two's 'The Human Factor' reminded me of the Daleks from Doctor Who. Interestingly, wasn't Terry Nation, the creator of the Daleks also a writer on the first season of MacGyver?

MacGirl:
Yes, there IS a Terry Nation listed in the credits. Whether it's the same person, I don't know, but it would be an awfully big coincidence if it wasn't.

Rockatteer:
well according to the IMDb site He did write 4 opening gambits for MacGyver, so we can probably assume that it is the same person listed in the HUman Factor credits.

MacGyver:
Well, that makes sense then. That's cool that Terry Nation was a writer for MacGyver and Doctor Who! (I remember the name showing up before in the credits- but I didn't realize his Doctor Who connection until just now)

But everytime I see "The Human Factor", I always think of those robots chasing MacGyver saying in that robotic voice- "Ex--terminate! Ex--terminate!"

Yuri Demetri:
I've just had a thought, The Doctor defeats evil doers by using his scientific mind as he dislikes guns and violence. He also carries the sonic screwdriver which is his trusty multi-tool that he is hardly seen without and often gets him out of difficult situations.

I get it now, MacGyver is a future incarnation of Doctor Who stranded on Earth in the late 20th century! 

Actually, I think RDA would would be excellent if he played Doctor Who.

Rockatteer:
as he dislikes guns and violence.

He does??

Yuri Demetri:
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Sep 24 2006, 10:03 PM)
as he dislikes guns and violence.

He does?? 

Yes, although he has admitted a dislike for guns, he has on a few occasions used one as a last resort to stop some kind of monster or shoot open a lock. Usually a different character is introduced that will take care of the weapons and violence and The Doctor will prefer to use macgyverisms to solve the problem. smile.gif

The Doctor's macgyverisms are not usually as educational or realistic as Mac's though and mostly rely on some kind of made up techno-jargon if explained at all. That's the thing about MacGyver, you can actually learn something or be inspired by the messages put across, not many TV shows do that and tell a great story too.

Lothithil:
QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 22 2006, 10:21 AM)
Oh, sorry Loth, I mistook you for a kitten with a piece of string.

As you were. 

meow!

And who isn't reminded of 'TheWizard of Oz' by the closing act of 'Serenity'?

"And you were there... and so were you, and you, and--"

MacNymph:
QUOTE (Yuri Demetri @ Sep 25 2006, 07:42 PM)
The Doctor will prefer to use macgyverisms to solve the problem. 

The Doctor's macgyverisms are not usually as educational or realistic as Mac's though and mostly rely on some kind of made up techno-jargon if explained at all. 

Um... since they aren't like MacGyverisms and MacGyver isn't performing them, wouldn't they be Doctorisms or Whoisms?

MacNymph:
QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 26 2006, 12:52 AM)

Apparently Rick has some sick fasination with Wizard of Oz he took over to SG-1. One of the running jokes is how many Wizard of Oz references they can work into the show... either with or without the writers knowledge.

Lothithil:
LOL! He took it to Legend, too. Remember the killer dwarfs?

"Follow the yellow suede suit! Follow the yellow suede suit!"

MacNymph:
Those little dudes were ascarey! 

Good thing it was just a dream / story vision.

Lothithil:
I've noticed that there are conflicts with midgets in MacGyver (Eye of Osiris) and Legend-- I wonder if there's something behind it, or if it's just a comic device for the tall guy to fight with/run away from little people?

I haven't noticed any in SG-1. Jack seems cool with short folks! (((Thor)))

Rockatteer:
QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 27 2006, 04:16 AM)
QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 26 2006, 12:52 AM)

Apparently Rick has some sick fasination with Wizard of Oz he took over to SG-1. One of the running jokes is how many Wizard of Oz references they can work into the show... either with or without the writers knowledge. 

And remember in "Blow Out" with the yellow paint....

"Follow the yellow brick road"

and then when the arrived at the warehouse

"Well its not emerald city."

Yuri Demetri:
QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 26 2006, 05:12 PM)

Um... since they aren't like MacGyverisms and MacGyver isn't performing them, wouldn't they be Doctorisms or Whoisms?

MacWhoverisms perhaps? You've got to honour the true master of the MacGyverism somewhere in the name I guess.

OK...last post was onSeptember 27, 2006. All better?

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 09:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Had to come back to finish this post. When I first saw it I was laughing so hard I couldn't type. 

OMG! That was funny!

Thank you so much...very thoughtful of you! laugh.gif harhar.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 10:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

hmm.bmp

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 12:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Okay, that doesn't really fit into this topic since it is actually the other way 'round, but did anyone else think also that when they fixed the spaceship in "Apollo 13" that it looked very macgyvered?

It was the first I thought.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Mac
Posted: 7 November 2006 - 01:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (Astra @ Nov 7 2006, 04:53 PM)
Okay, that doesn't really fit into this topic since it is actually the other way 'round, but did anyone else think also that when they fixed the spaceship in "Apollo 13" that it looked very macgyvered?

It was the first I thought.

It's the duct tape! laugh.gif

Mac
who agrees

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 13 November 2006 - 10:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

There's a 1950's movie called D.O.A. (dead on arrival) which might have inspired the plot to 'Nighmares'.

I must have seen it when I was a wee little shaver, cause I only dimly remember it. I had to pump my movie buddies for information to find the right title! happy.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 29 December 2006 - 10:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

What about Home Alone?
Almost every trick Kevin pulls could easily have been inspired by Mac...

MacGirl
Posted: 29 December 2006 - 10:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

It's been awhile since I've seen HA, but I can see the connection.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 29 December 2006 - 06:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Oh my God, I thought I was alone in thinking of a Home Alone connection to MacGyver! Very good! Everytime I watch that movie, I see a young MacGyver in the works with Kevin. Well, I was eight or nine years old when that movie came out, just like the kid in the movie, and MacGyver was still on TV then, so it just goes to show you what a young generation raised on MacGyver can learn! sak.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 December 2006 - 04:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

You could link Home Alone to The Golden Triangle and the Faith Hope and Charity episode. Several traps and the bad guys are stupid enough to fall for it.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 2 January 2007 - 06:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Yesterday I saw a little part of `A knight in Camelot` with Whoopi Goldberg.
She ends up being locked up in chains and she picks them with a sak.gif .

Might not be a complete rip off, but it surely reminded me of a certain person...

thyla
Posted: 5 January 2007 - 10:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I know we had this discussion previously. hmm.bmp Has anyone listed the episode Hellfire = The Wages of Fear (Le Salaire de la peur) ?

"I hardly even know this young lady!"
-MacGyver, Squeeze Play

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsMinx
Posted: 4 February 2018 - 01:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot (intro v.o.), LTOA
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors
House:  Observatory

I think the Lost Treasure of Atlantis movie drew a fair amount of inspiration from the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. (I haven't read Jules Verne's book, so I can't comment on it, other than to say that most of the movies called Journey to the Center of the Earth are fairly different from each other, so I think at least some of them departed from the original story.)

Here's a few similarities between LTOA and 1959's Journey...

-Both movies feature scientific expeditions that find remnants of the lost city of Atlantis at the bottom of a volcanic crater, those same expeditions get out of the crater using a part of an ancient Greek temple.

-In both movies, the explorers find the dead body of a scholar (on whose work they're building) in the ruins of Atlantis and he's doing something instructive with his hands. In LTOA it's Solon and he has the platinum book, in Journey..., it's an explorer named Saknussemm and he's showing them how to get out of the crater.

-In each, the professor's colleagues think he's a nut for pursuing his line of scholarship.

-Both professors rely heavily on a student to make the expedition work. In LTOA, it's MacGyver ('nuff said biggrin.gif ), in Journey... it's Pat Boone's Alec and he starts the whole thing off by giving James Mason's Prof. Oliver Lindenbrook a rock that has a captivating artifact inside.

-Both movies have a scene where characters have to escape from a chamber that gets "flooded" with something. In LTOA, it's the chamber with the medallion filling with rocks after Atticus sets off the booby trap. In Journey..., James Mason collects a crystal from a rock face that starts a massive water leak from which his team has to escape....quickly.

-Both groups have foppish, wealthy villians (and a henchman who dies) stalking them and trying to take the treasure on their expeditions.

I mention so much because A: I think both movies are fun and B:I have this mental image of the writers and maybe even RDA and/or the producers sitting around saying, " You know what was cool when we were kids..."

Production-designwise, I think the doors with the suns on the Hades passageway might be similar to ones from a '50s or '60s Greek epic (maybe Jason and the Argonauts (?)).

In addition, I think that there may have been inside references to the actors' personal lives. For instance, Sophie Ward's (who played Kelly Carson) father was the actor Simon Ward. In the late 1980s he suffered an attack (a crime that remained unsolved) similar to the beating Kelly's grandfather Simon receives.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsMinx
Posted: 4 February 2018 - 02:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot (intro v.o.), LTOA
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors
House:  Observatory

The reboot's "CO2 Sensor + Tree Branch" episode made me go back and watch "The Human Factor". The little LASER-wielding robots do resemble Daleks, but something else caught my eye this time around....

A couple of years ago, I bought my dad a copy of a 1950s MGM sci-fi movie called Gog. The title (based on a Biblical reference) refers to one of two robots that goes haywire in a state-of-the-art underground lab. While the story of man vs. machine is an old one, I think it's possible that the production team for MacGyver (and maybe even Dr. Who (?!?)), may have taken inspiration from the little menacing robots in this largely-forgotten film.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll