Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I saw this video someone animated for an MAP, and I decided it reminded me of being pulled into a fandom. You should all know, you're all here. So don't even try to argue with me on this tongue.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 14 November 2018 - 03:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

It usually takes more then 10 seconds to do that, sometimes even years.

But it's not a bad question to think about. What's it like to be pulled into fandoms?

In case of MacGyver for example I was brought up with it along with several action movies and other series.

Then only since this year after long years of strong dislike, I eventually became a Potter-fan, when I always thought: never. Who knows, maybe I'll become Trekkie one day or a Star Warsie (if that's what they call them).

Now with these shared universes, I think you're going to get sucked in more and more into fandoms maybe without even knowing.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 14 November 2018 - 04:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 15 November 2018 - 12:45 AM)
maybe I'll become Trekkie one day or a Star Warsie (if that's what they call them).

No we call ourselves Star Wars fans. wink.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 14 November 2018 - 11:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 14 November 2018 - 04:35 AM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 15 November 2018 - 12:45 AM)
maybe I'll become Trekkie one day or a Star Warsie (if that's what they call them).

No we call ourselves Star Wars fans. wink.gif

laugh.gif

With MacGyver I didn't really know about any fandoms, I just was a massive fan pretty much on my own since I was 11. Now with the internet you can find groups of fans on just about anything (and so hear I finally am laugh.gif )

With the big ones like Star Wars and Trek, it's easy since those fandoms are fairly mainstream, and I suppose people who get really involved and go to cons, etc, gravitate towards a larger category of sci-fi fandom, or fantasy, comics, etc...

I was pretty obsessed with Doctor Who for a while - but my fandom levels usually come and go. MacGyver is by far the longest, Bruce Campbell/Evil Dead franchise probably the second longest... I've always loved Star Wars and Star Trek (albeit selectively) but I haven't really done much about it, so does that count as fandom?

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 14 November 2018 - 12:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I'm a Star Wars fan, but that's a hard fandom to keep up with. I kinda gave up trying to stay with it because a: I'm broke and b: them be some crazy fans. lol

Resident Evil and MacGyver are the only franchises I ever joined a forum for. Unfortunately, the Resident Evil fanbase is rather pessimistic and argumentative. They often argue over who is a "true fan". It got ridiculous after a while.

The MacGyver fandom is a lot more balanced. I guess because the fandom has a positive impact on it's fans. It's not just mindless violence and theories for people to debate over.

MacGyver gave me hope that there were more like minded folks like myself that weren't a bunch of jerks whose sole purpose in life is to hate everyone. That, and I'm always open to making new friends... just more positive ones. lol

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 14 November 2018 - 06:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I think it's pretty stupid when people argue about what makes someone a true fan. Like, if you all like something, you're a fan.

Different opinion? Still a fan.

Consider something canon? Still a fan.

Consider something not canon? Still a fan.

Everyone has the right to disagree. No one has the right to question another person's status as a fan.

Anyway, now that that's off my chest, back to the thread laugh.gif

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 03:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

MacGyver is also the only forum I ever joined when it came to series. I know there are plenty of others. I'm a Xenite but never joined a Xena/Hercules forum, I like Power Rangers (that I never joined the Ranger board!) But if I joined them all, I would have at least like 10 accounts on different boards. I don't like endless discussions to begin with and especially not if they start arguing about what makes someone a true fan. From as soon as I like the storyline or the basic premise of the show, I make up the rest as the series progresses what it is to me. That's why I made the timeline. That was an insane undertaking but to me that's how the show goes and even if it's only posted on this site and KateR's site it would still irk me people say Mac is born in 1951 or that he's a vegetarian while he's not.

MacGyver gave me hope that there were more like minded folks like myself that weren't a bunch of jerks whose sole purpose in life is to hate everyone. That, and I'm always open to making new friends... just more positive ones.

That's a good reason to join. Unfortunately haters going to hate, even in fandoms and I always thought it was the one place where that didn't happen. It's like the haters shows that real life still can seep into the fandoms and sully that as well so that people eventually will back out and go back to real big bad world and be unhappy about it.

I suppose people who get really involved and go to cons, etc, gravitate towards a larger category of sci-fi fandom, or fantasy, comics, etc...

And I think it's about as close you're going to get to entering a fantasy world. The cons are the only place where you can meet the characters (even if it's just someone in disguise) and it's the one places where there shouldn't be discrimination. Everybody is there for the same reason, the same interest, the least you can do is respect each other for that.

No one has the right to question another person's status as a fan.

That's right.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 03:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I don't really see why you're all patting yourselves on the back for "no discrimination here" on a site that thinks slash is evil.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 06:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 15 November 2018 - 03:25 PM)
I don't really see why you're all patting yourselves on the back for "no discrimination here" on a site that thinks slash is evil.

laugh.gif Did some Murdock/Mac fan fiction get banned or something? hmm.bmp

I can't speak for everyone here and I'm pretty new, but it doesn't seem like there is a consensus on evil, unless you're slashing Zito which is unacceptable! blink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 06:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I don't really recall there ever being an issue with slash fanfiction. I mean, it's weird to me, but I don't judge others on what they write. If I don't like it, I simply don't read it. Easy peasy. smile.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 06:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I believe it's a matter of respect. A lot of sites don't allow that kind of stuff. No one's trying to change anyone's opinion. Rules still have to be put in place, but that's different than saying someone isn't a true fan. IMO, they still are, even if I don't really agree with Slash. But I'd ask Macgyveronline, he's the one in charge anyway.

That's a good reason to join. Unfortunately haters going to hate, even in fandoms and I always thought it was the one place where that didn't happen. It's like the haters shows that real life still can seep into the fandoms and sully that as well so that people eventually will back out and go back to real big bad world and be unhappy about it.

Some people just like to spread negativity. And they'll do it wherever they can, however they can dry.gif Heck, I had a guy recently stalking me and a bunch of others online, just to drive everyone insane. No one knew what he was saying, because he types in gibberish and acts like anyone who can't figure out what he's saying is just to dumb to understand it. I blocked him after he tried to scare me into following ominous links he posted. Sorry, I don't believe you'll kill me in my own house, random stranger who doesn't know where I live.

ANYWAY, my point is people will do anything to spread hate. Fandoms aren't always a safe haven, unfortunately -_-

PM                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 08:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

....y'all didn't know that this site explicitly bans *all* slash, of whatever rating? It's right there in the rules, you know.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 08:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 15 November 2018 - 08:14 PM)
....y'all didn't know that this site explicitly bans *all* slash, of whatever rating? It's right there in the rules, you know.

I just read the rules and I don't see anything like that? Link?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 08:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 15 November 2018 - 11:14 PM)

If that's true, it's probably because slash fanfiction is inappropriate for underage posters. This forum is supposed to be kid friendly.

In which case, use your common sense.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 09:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

It's a diversion. That much is commonplace. How one chooses to take it on and interact with it can have many different facets. For example, I am a hockey fan but would never think of going to a game dressed in a team/player jersey …. but thousands of fans do just that, that's their thing to dress-up and feel more apart of it - and that's fine. I am more a fan of observing the motion and skill of the game. Period. Very similar with MacGyver, am a fan of the series ambience and period setting … not really a fan of any individual character but rather in the fusion that they collectively created to produce the product that was.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 15 November 2018 - 10:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 16 November 2018 - 05:14 PM)

Don't see how the fiction allowed here has anything to do with what's being discussed. unsure.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 03:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It was never said it was evil. It's just a rule and most of them are quite supple. Honestly, I don't feel the need to picture Mac and Murdoc doing it while I have nothing against slash if it serves the themes of that show like Xena or Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I don't really recall there ever being an issue with slash fanfiction. I mean, it's weird to me, but I don't judge others on what they write. If I don't like it, I simply don't read it. Easy peasy.

Precisely. I don't remember there was ever any slash fiction in the first place. Besides I think most of the fans here are women.

I think we know our own rules.

I just read the rules and I don't see anything like that? Link?
If that's true, it's probably because slash fanfiction is inappropriate for underage posters. This forum is supposed to be kid friendly.

In which case, use your common sense.

Indeed, though I think the average age here is around 30 years old. I never met an underage poster here and I don't think I ever will. What 16-17 year old would be interested in an action/adventure show of the 80's?

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 04:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

This has been a weird thread. Which is sort of fitting since it's about how weird fandoms and the people in them can be laugh.gif

As someone who mostly stays away from fan fiction - as I like to keep my feelings about the character pure to the show, it's hard for me to have an opinion about what fan fiction should or shouldn't be allowed. It might be an unnecessary rule, but that doesn't mean people think slash is evil. hmm.bmp

I supposed if older macgyver fans have kids that grow up and were introduced to it by their parents, you might get more youngins occasionally, but on the other hand, not sure this forum is really the speed of teenagers lol

I actually assumed most Macgyver fans were even older - ranging from kid to adult fans in the 80s, or mid-30s to mid-60s.

Oh but I forgot about the new show - no idea what the demographic for that is!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 04:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Lets set a few things straight here....

Age limit
The age limit for this site is 13 up which is standard for most US sites as special approval must be sought from caregivers for under 13's records to be held on any server which falls under US law.

Slash fiction
To try and imply that having rules which prohibit something means we are judgmental against people who are interested in that subject is absolute rubbish and drawing a VERY long bow.

We have had slash fiction posted here (a long time ago) and every attempt was juvenile low standard sexually orientated BS (to be blunt) which broke other forum rules and was very quickly deleted as a result of complaints and said rule braking.

We allowed several authors to post and they were all sounded like they were written by 10 year olds who had just discovered puberty.

As a result of that a decision was made to not allow any further slash fiction to be posted here.

Aside from the terrible writing it also doesn't maintain the integrity of the MacGyver show or universe which is also one of our rules. There's plenty of other fan-fiction sites you can read/post slash fiction on any subject, this isn't one of them.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I actually assumed most Macgyver fans were even older - ranging from kid to adult fans in the 80s, or mid-30s to mid-60s.

In case you must know. I was about 5 years old when I saw my first Mac episode in the early 90's and I was 17 when I signed on here. So I'm 32 now, in January it's going to be 15 years. Even though there hasn't been so many members here, I think always mostly 10 active ones here through the years, I always thought I was the youngest and I've been here pretty much from the start, nearly every day.

Not even so long ago I thought it was either Jedi or Dragondog, but I could be wrong about both, who in one of their messages somehow gave away their age and that made me go: she's that young? Or was it you, zoeryan? I don't remember where I saw it or who wrote it.

Oh but I forgot about the new show - no idea what the demographic for that is!

Maybe an even younger audience since most of the cast members are in their late twenties. Yet still hard to believe Meredith Eaton is actually 44 years old and George Eads is 51 years old when Lucas and Tristin are both 28.

Back in the 80's most heroes were early to mid-thirties. MacGyver, Magnum, The A-Team. Probably because they were more grown up and in their primes.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 12:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I'm 18. Was 17 when I joined. 16 when I started watching MacGyver. Granted, I saw the reboot first, but I was always curious about the original, ever since my mom told me about it when I was 13. So I probably would have watched it even without the reboot wink.gif

PM                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Oh cool DragonDog... are forums still a thing for young people in general? Or is it usually all social media/reddit now? Please represent your whole generation wink.gif smile.gif

Jedi and I are the same age, in our 30s... blush.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 02:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (zoeryan @ 16 November 2018 - 03:09 PM)
Oh cool DragonDog... are forums still a thing for young people in general? Or is it usually all social media/reddit now? Please represent your whole generation wink.gif smile.gif

Jedi and I are the same age, in our 30s... blush.gif

I can't speak for everyone, but I am part of another forum for HTTYD, which is more for the younger generation. Almost everyone there is under 18 laugh.gif

I suppose most teens stick to twitter, or tumblr blogs, but I have neither

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 03:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (zoeryan @ 17 November 2018 - 10:09 AM)
Oh cool DragonDog... are forums still a thing for young people in general? Or is it usually all social media/reddit now?

Un-social media seems to be the go with everyone now... young and old.

Facebook communities, Twitter and Instagram.

The majority of people are no longer interested in having thoughtful conversations, they'd rather just click a like button or if they really feel adventurous, a one line or even one word response.

That's basically why we've got 10 active members left.... everyone's moved off to un-social media.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 06:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I'm so old and uncool I don't know what HTTYD is laugh.gif

Also I've never heard the term, un-social media before but it's hilarious! Snapchat is still "social" right? Is youtube un-social? What does it all mean?! laugh.gif laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 07:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

They're all un-social because despite the name, they all promote ignoring people around you while you're glued to your computer or mobile device.

Friends don't meetup to do stuff any more they stay at home and chat/share/like/troll and bully each other over their phones and computers.... that's not social... hence my term un-social media.

It's also allowed the growth of Trump-like nastiness and fakery to prosper like wildfire

So sayeth this old fart.

laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 07:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (zoeryan @ 16 November 2018 - 08:22 PM)
I'm so old and uncool I don't know what HTTYD is laugh.gif

Dreamworks How to Train Your Dragon. I was just too lazy to type out the full name tongue.gif

Personally, I like forums better than Twitter, Youtube, etc. I feel it's way more personal to actually communicate on forums. I don't have a Facebook or Twitter, though I've been planning on having one for convenience purposes (AKA, following certain threads, actors, etc. instead of stalking their profiles).

I do have Youtube and Pinterest, just so I can comment on certain things, make my own things, etc., but the few conversations I actually have are short and fleeting, not exactly the kind of thing that results in any sort of bond.

Speaking of which... Funny how something as simple as a fandom can bring people together. I should know all about that by now, but it continues to surprise me tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 07:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 16 November 2018 - 07:05 PM)
They're all un-social because despite the name, they all promote ignoring people around you while you're glued to your computer or mobile device.

Friends don't meetup to do stuff any more they stay at home and chat/share/like/troll and bully each other over their phones and computers.... that's not social... hence my term un-social media.

It's also allowed the growth of Trump-like nastiness and fakery to prosper like wildfire

So sayeth this old fart.

laugh.gif

Bahahaha I thought it was commentary on how young people now call facebook and twitter old fashioned, so newer popular apps were un-social media..... I was WAY off laugh.gif

@DragonDog - oh is that what your name is from? I didn't realize HTTYD had a following, that's cool smile.gif I've always thought that was why fandoms got so big, cons, etc, because all of a sudden people had a bunch of other people they could instantly relate to over a shared interest. I guess more than an interest really, obsession - so there is enough there to actually warrant a community around it. Not a bad thing at all, but certainly an interesting social phenomenon!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 08:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (zoeryan @ 16 November 2018 - 09:27 PM)
@DragonDog - oh is that what your name is from? I didn't realize HTTYD had a following, that's cool smile.gif I've always thought that was why fandoms got so big, cons, etc, because all of a sudden people had a bunch of other people they could instantly relate to over a shared interest. I guess more than an interest really, obsession - so there is enough there to actually warrant a community around it. Not a bad thing at all, but certainly an interesting social phenomenon!

My name is based on a few OCs I invented, which were pretty inspired by my HTTYD fandom. (And yes, HTTYD has quite a huge following laugh.gif )

PM                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted: 16 November 2018 - 08:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 16 November 2018 - 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (zoeryan @ 16 November 2018 - 09:27 PM)
@DragonDog - oh is that what your name is from? I didn't realize HTTYD had a following, that's cool smile.gif  I've always thought that was why fandoms got so big, cons, etc, because all of a sudden people had a bunch of other people they could instantly relate to over a shared interest. I guess more than an interest really, obsession - so there is enough there to actually warrant a community around it. Not a bad thing at all, but certainly an interesting social phenomenon!

My name is based on a few OCs I invented, which were pretty inspired by my HTTYD fandom. (And yes, HTTYD has quite a huge following laugh.gif )

OMG what is an OC? I swear I thought I still pretty young and hip until this conversation with DragonDog roller.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll