Mac a vegetarian?, started by BlueIce Sep 27 2006
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Was MacGyver Vegetarian or just a Healthy Eater?
Healthy Eater [ 20 ]  [95.24%]
Vegetarian [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 08:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

QUOTE (blueice @ Sep 27 2006, 02:40 AM)
I was always under the impression that MacGyver was a vegetarian because he was always eating salads, alfalfa sprouts, etc. In the episode Jack in the Box, however, we see Mac eating chicken,-"straight from the warden's own private hen house," and commenting that it was good. Is this a case of:

A: Vegetarian prisoners giving themselves a temporary pass?
B: MacGyver not being a vegetarian, (just happens to like a lot of fruits and vegetables)?
C: A small oversight by the writers of that particular episode?
D: Other? 

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 27 2006, 02:44 AM)

Mac is not a vegetarian. He's eaten meat on a number of occasions.

I think he's just a health nut.

QUOTE (blueice @ Sep 27 2006, 02:57 AM)
Health nut makes sense. What kinds of meat did he it? Do you remember the episodes? 

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 27 2006, 03:03 AM)

I see an evolution in what he eats throughout the show. Some people become veggies overnight while for others it's long process.

We see him eat red meat then reptile, which is almost like white meat, and then white meat and then the tofu jokes start. That's a pretty typical vegetarian evolution.

QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 27 2006, 04:23 AM)

Health nut makes sense. What kinds of meat did he it? Do you remember the episodes? 

I don't have a notebook like some people, *looks at Loth * but I remember he got a lamb sandwich in Slow Death.

QUOTE (deana @ Sep 27 2006, 04:25 AM)
MacGyver is a typical man of the eighty's
He's concerned about his health, the wold-peace and environment.
He should be a member off GREENPEACE; a enviromentalist.
I don't think he's a real vegetarian.

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 27 2006, 04:58 AM)
no, he isn't vegeterian, i remember him in some episodes eating animals he catch

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Sep 27 2006, 04:59 AM)
It never really occured to me he was a vegetarian. Just speculations from around here said he was. Maybe it was all vegetarian meat?

QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 27 2006, 05:10 AM)

MacGyver is a typical man of the eighty's
He's concerned about his health, the wold-peace and environment.
He should be a member off GREENPEACE; a enviromentalist.
I don't think he's a real vegetarian.

dry.gif Is that "a typical" or "atypical"? Because I don't remember the typical man in the eighties being like that.

QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 27 2006, 05:18 AM)

It never really occured to me he was a vegetarian. Just speculations from around here said he was. Maybe it was all vegetarian meat?

Exactly wink.gif that's all it is. And it's not just this site. It's rampant on and off the net. Vegitarianism seems to be a "noble" attribute. (along with the abstaining from alcohol) There seems to be an overwelming urge to take MacGyver from the good guy we know him to be into some kind of saint. And that goes nauseatingly double for RDA himself.

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 27 2006, 05:20 AM)

I don't have a notebook like some people, *looks at Loth * but I remember he got a lamb sandwich in Slow Death. 

I doubt you guys want a list of everything Mac eats in the course of 7 seasons!

In addition to those already listed, I remember Mac eating fish with Harry in 'Target MacGyver'. He also ate a piece of mystery meat out of that Partisan stew in the gambit before 'Trumbo's World'... anyway, I hope it was beef! happy.gif
Oh, yeah... he and Luther caught trout with spears to feed the rest of the kids in 'Final Approach'. Rattlesnake was on the lunch menu, too!

When I'm talking to folks and they insist that Mac became a vegan, I tell them to watch 'Eagles', and listen to Mac's philosophy about survival:
'One animal must die so that another can live... it's Nature's balancing act'

I imagine that Mac would happily survive on tofu and bean curd when he's at home, but when he goes abroad, whether in a foreign city or the wilderness, he forages.

That's why I think 'Grazer' is the perfect name for his 'homeless' character!

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 27 2006, 06:25 AM)
Lothithil, I think you're absolutly right. I watch Gost Ship a few days ago and he went walking through canadian forrest in this ep. Pete said he went without any food, he only took fishing rod and some other equipment. So he was probably planing to catch some animals, I don't think he was planing to gather fruit and plants. 

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Sep 27 2006, 07:41 AM)

But that's not the funniest part. As soon as he finally gets to sit down with his not-so-enormous sandwich, despite the fact that he's ravenous, he actually pauses before biting into the thing and proceeds to examine it, picking stuff out. Oooookay.

Is it? I gotta check that out. I only remember him looking up when the one-armed man comes back to apologise.

I doubt you guys want a list of everything Mac eats in the course of 7 seasons!

Actually we do. It's something we haven't really discussed yet in the forums.
The MacGyver Restaurant Menu!!! Cooking with MacGyver, it would be a great kids show.

I imagine that Mac would happily survive on tofu and bean curd when he's at home, but when he goes abroad, whether in a foreign city or the wilderness, he forages.

Absolutely. MacGyver is a man that blends in foreign societies.

That's why I think 'Grazer' is the perfect name for his 'homeless' character! 

Bud, let's just go grazing.

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 27 2006, 07:41 AM)

(((Hawki))) *whispers* Alaska!
Remember also that in 'Survivors', he and Pete were foraging for nuts and berries when they found that DEA airplane that had been shot down. 

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Sep 27 2006, 08:51 AM)

Remember also that in 'Survivors', he and Pete were foraging for nuts and berries when they found that DEA airplane

yeah but thats because nuts and berries are standard practice when camping in the woods. They are easier and more certain than setting up a trap and hoping that some small animal comes along to get caught in it.

And then once it is caught you have the whole deal with gutting it.. Skinning it.. Cooking it.

And of course nuts and Berries can be carried with you as energy snacks.

QUOTE (Amy @ Sep 27 2006, 09:53 AM)
Also remember in Humanity he tells Victor if he gets the urge to be violent to catch them some fish outta the lake.

I'm partial to thinking he's just a health nut...Eating bean sprouts or tofu once in a while doesn't make you a vegetarian. And I agree that his diet definitely adapts to his surroundings.

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 27 2006, 11:50 AM)

(((Hawki))) *whispers* Alaska!

Remember also that in 'Survivors', he and Pete were foraging for nuts and berries when they found that DEA airplane that had been shot down.

In the dark. I'm still trying to figure out what sort of idiot survival course teaches you to look for food in the dark.

I get the impression that Mac started to eat less red meat as the show went on and that he favours tofu at home, but isn't adverse to eating meat (like fish) when he's away.

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Sep 27 2006, 12:57 PM)
Interesting topic. Well, I think MacGyver will eat practically anything if he has to - to survive. (like in "The Gauntlet", when he eats a lizard or some sort of reptile.- or "Final Approach", etc.) He does tend to eat tofu and whipped bean curd and other vegetables and fruit- but that doesn't mean he doesn't eat meat. Don't forget the "infamous MacGyver bayou-burned blackened redfish" from "Family Matter"!
So obviously MacGyver eats meat and isn't necessarily a vegetarian. I think he's more of health nut, as others have said. Another interesting thing to note is that MacGyver doesn't smoke, doesn't drink- and pretty much (although this is inconsistent from the first season as well) abstains from coffee. He generally tends to go with orange juice or some other fruit juice- though yes, I know, in "The Prodigal" he complains about not having his morning coffee yet. But I think this is another one of those things that developed throughout the show's run. What about soft drinks? Was he ever seen drinking a cola very often? (Aside from the couple dozen colas he "bought" in "Rush to Judgement"! ) 

That's the first page... trying to recover the next two.

user posted image

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 09:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 27 2006, 06:49 PM)

As the show went on, there were less and less cases when he was stuck wilderness trying to survive. In first seasons he was all over the world, but as the show went on, he was more and more in usa, urban environment, just my thought. 

QUOTE (rockatteer @ Sep 27 2006, 07:07 PM)

how do you relate that to whether he's vegetarian or not? 

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 27 2006, 07:30 PM)

Someone said that as the show went on he get the impression that he eat less and less meat. Maybe he eat meat only when he has to. And as i said in first seasons there was a lot of cases when he has to cought animal and eat them to survive, but as the show went on there were less and less that cases. Maybe i'm completely wrong i don't know 

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 27 2006, 11:51 PM)

and pretty much (although this is inconsistent from the first season as well) abstains from coffee. 

Maybe the guy gave up coffee?

What about soft drinks?

He has a sip of what looks like cola in 'The Prodigal.'

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 09:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Sep 28 2006, 01:40 AM)

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of idiot survival course teaches you to look for food in the dark.

Why not? Why do you think they had flashlights, huh?

how do you relate that to whether he's vegetarian or not? 

Let's just say he's not. He's just a healthy guy, avoids alcohol and fastfood.

And who says meat is not healthy? MacGyver seems like a vegetables with meat and potatoes kind of guy.
MacGyver will eat anything to survive, even if it's bugs.

pretty much (although this is inconsistent from the first season as well) abstains from coffee. He generally tends to go with orange juice or some other fruit juice- though yes, I know, in "The Prodigal" he complains about not having his morning coffee yet. 

He did say in The Negotiator that he doesn't drink coffee. But why would he ask then for getting together and discuss the acid rain issue over a cup of coffee?

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 28 2006, 02:29 AM)

pretty much (although this is inconsistent from the first season as well) abstains from coffee. He generally tends to go with orange juice or some other fruit juice- though yes, I know, in "The Prodigal" he complains about not having his morning coffee yet. 

He did say in The Negotiator that he doesn't drink coffee. But why would he ask then for getting together and discuss the acid rain issue over a cup of coffee?

Heh! I'm not arguing that Mac didn't eventually stop drinking coffee (many folks do as they grow older), but in 'The Negotiator' I think that Mac's comment about not drinking coffee is a joke.

"Let's get together and have a cup of coffee" is a rather popular euphemism for a date. He was making a point to the lady that he wanted to spend time with her... with or without coffee.

It's just so cute how nervous he was about asking her out! *chuckle*

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 28 2006, 02:55 AM)

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of idiot survival course teaches you to look for food in the dark.

Why not? Why do you think they had flashlights, huh?

I've taken I don't now how many survival courses and recertifications for work purposes in all seasons and weather conditions. The one thing that's drilled into you is that you hunker down at night. You don't risk your life traipsing around in the dark in unknown terrain looking for food. Night manoeuvres are another thing all together, of course, but getting food is part of making camp and you do those things when it's still light out.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Sep 28 2006, 02:59 AM)

It's just so cute how nervous he was about asking her out! *chuckle*

He didn't look nervous to me. He just asked it carefully.

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 28 2006, 04:52 AM)

To me it look like teenager, who's a bit shy and nervous about asking this girl out 

It really is cute part 

QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 28 2006, 05:43 AM)

QUESTION: Do vegetarians wear leather?

That was a mighty fine black leather jacket Mac rode off into the sunset in The Stringer in. 

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 28 2006, 05:45 AM)

Good point, Nymphy! 

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 09:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 28 2006, 06:04 AM)

Good point, Nymphy! 

You can be a vegetarian and wear leather. It's vegans who tend to not wear leather, although more and more 'dietary vegans' do not make the 'no-animal product' switch into the rest of their lives.

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 28 2006, 07:35 AM)

I guess it all depends upon why a person is a vegetarian.

If it is because one doesn't want to hurt the little fuzzy animals, then wearing leather and using animal products is out.

If it because you just don't like to eat meat... anything goes!

Then again, there's a difference between vegetarians and vegans. I'm sure that there are more differences that I can imagine.

I personally can't imagine not eating meat. They shoot people around here for less!  (Loth lives in Beef Country)

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 28 2006, 07:44 AM)

I guess it all depends upon why a person is a vegetarian.

If it is because one doesn't want to hurt the little fuzzy animals, then wearing leather and using animal products is out.

If it because you just don't like to eat meat... anything goes!

Then again, there's a difference between vegetarians and vegans. I'm sure that there are more differences that I can imagine.

I personally can't imagine not eating meat. They shoot people around here for less!  (Loth lives in Beef Country)

Veganism is a whole way of life, almost a philosophy. Vegetarianism is a much looser concept.

Personally, I don't eat meat because I can't stand the taste of it or how it feels in my mouth, for the most part (I eat fish and seafood (but not at home)). If I'm in a situation where I have to eat what is offered and there's meat I go hungry, unless we're talking about a really long period of time (more than 2 weeks), in which case I'll eat around the meat.

I get the impression that MacGyver doesn't mind certain types of meat (like chicken and fish), but that he wouldn't make them at home.

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 28 2006, 07:21 PM)

Yes that is true, some people just don't eat meat, other don't eat any animal products (eggs for example), it's different level of vegeterians i think 

QUOTE (Amy Sep 29 2006 @ 12:43 AM)

I know what you mean! I live in beef country, venison country, pig county...you get the picture...LOL...we're nothing but farms! I love my veggies, but meat is like a way of life here.

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 29 2006, 12:49 AM)

Yes that is true, some people just don't eat meat, other don't eat any animal products (eggs for example), it's different level of vegeterians i think 

Vegans eat no meat products whatsoever (including things like honey, jello, even wine).

Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat nothing that was alive, but do eat eggs and dairy (but nothing that contains gelatine, like jello).

Then there's the sort-of vegetarians, which are combinations of ovo, lacto, pollo (eat chicken), and pesco (eat fish).

Mac
semi-lacto/pesco-vegetarian (hey, that's catchy!)

QUOTE (Yuri Demetri @ Sep 29 2006, 01:14 AM)

Vegans eat no meat products whatsoever (including things like honey, jello, even wine).

Wine? I had no idea wine wasn't vegan. Any ideas why?

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 29 2006, 02:28 AM)

Wine? I had no idea wine wasn't vegan. Any ideas why?

Wine, mead, and beer are all made by adding bacteria to the mix, which are basically little animals that eat sugar and excrete alcohol. Therefore, such beverages are byproducts of living animals.

Mmmm... appetizing, eh??

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Sep 29 2006, 02:34 AM)

Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat nothing that was alive, but do eat eggs and dairy (but nothing that contains gelatine, like jello).

Then there's the sort-of vegetarians, which are combinations of ovo, lacto, pollo (eat chicken), and pesco (eat fish).

They do know that plants are alive too, right?

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 09:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 29 2006, 02:38 AM)

"Wine? I had no idea wine wasn't vegan. Any ideas why?"

Wine, mead, and beer are all made by adding bacteria to the mix, which are basically little animals that eat sugar and excrete alcohol. Therefore, such beverages are byproducts of living animals.

Mmmm... appetizing, eh??

Actually, that's not the reason. It has to do with the way wine is processed.

You can read more here:

http://vegans.frommars.org/wine/faq.php#1.2

Bread would be off limits (because of yeast) if the reason you evoked was the reason wine is taboo.

I agree with you about the plants being alive thing. I think that the line is drawn at living things that can actually feel pain.

QUOTE (Yuri Demetri @ Sep 29 2006, 03:48 AM)

I think that the line is drawn at living things that can actually feel pain.

I agree, otherwise you would be worried about taking antibiotics.

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 29 2006, 04:46 AM)

Talking about pain that animal feel when they're killed...What about animals that kills other animal and eat them? They also feel pain, just like they feel it when people kill and eat them. This is just food chain you know, it's part of life. 

QUOTE (MacNymph @ Sep 29 2006, 05:51 AM)

Is it just me or does it seem like all these variations of vegetariansim (btw a true vegetarian eats NO meat of any kind) could otherwise be called a dislike of certain types of food/meat?

I didn't eat eggs for about 15 years after my uncle (antagonistic wooly mamoth of a man) told me eggs were liquid chicken But I would have never called myself an ovo-vegetarian.

Or the 25 years I didn't eat lamb because my Dad told me mutton was a cute little fuzzy lamb? Baa-vegetarian?

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 29 2006, 06:07 AM)

Is it just me or does it seem like all these variations of vegetariansim could otherwise be called a dislike of certain types of food/meat?

(btw a true vegetarian eats NO meat of any kind)

Hence why I called the ones that do 'sort-of' vegetarians.

I totally agree about the dislike thing. A lot of vegetarians and vegans I know really do believe that eating an animal is wrong, but there are as many who, like me, simply can't stand the taste and texture. Then there are those for whom it's a combination of factors--not only do I think beef and chicken are disgusting, I also think that the cattle and chicken industries are disgusting.

QUOTE (rockatteer @ Sep 29 2006, 10:15 AM)

The simple fact is we have to eat. That means something has to die.. be it plant, animal.. whatever.

As MacGyver said in Eagles... "It's all part of natures balancing act".

To be worrying about if plant feels pain, or if the fish you just caught for dinner is feeling pain to me is stupid.

I can understand people disliking the whole mass production meat industry, or just having a personal preference.. but I think some peoples reasoning’s for what they eat are straight out of La-La-Land 

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 29 2006, 10:22 AM)

To be worrying about if plant feels pain, or if the fish you just caught for dinner is feeling pain to me is stupid.

A lot many people would take offense to that because it's like calling a religious belief 'stupid.' But it's your opinion, so... *shrugs*

I can understand people disliking the whole mass production meat industry, or just having a personal preference..  but I think some peoples reasoning’s for what they eat are straight out of La-La-Land

See above comment.

I think that what I'm understanding from your post is that you think people need to be honest with themselves about why they believe what they believe/eat what they eat. For example: it's more 'noble' to say 'I don't believe in causing animals pain' when the simple truth is 'I don't like the taste.' Anywhere near close?

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 10:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Yuri Demetri @ Sep 29 2006, 01:36 PM)

Someone wrote a great short story in which the main character creates a machine that can render all sound audible to the human ear. One day, he tests his machine in a park where a gardner is pruning. The inventor hears the plants shriek as they're cut. Knowing that even plants feel pain, the inventor slowly succumbs to maddness. Great story, wish I could find it again!

Sounds like a great 'what if?' kind of story that makes you really think. Perhaps we should now all become level 5 vegans - it's where you don't eat anything that casts a shadow. (For those of you that remember the relevant Simpsons episode).

As for fungi, I'd say they're living critters because they eat stuff. 'Decay' is just the process of fungi feasting on dead organic matter. Yum, yum!

Yes of course, I should have worded that better, I just used fungi as an example of another thing that doesn't feel pain.

QUOTE (MEP @ Sep 29 2006, 02:51 PM)

Mmmm... appetizing, eh?? 

Ya know that mean that also cant eat bread because it has not only eggs but Yeast to make the bread rise?

Yea I know I'm being a brat but I thinks some of the Veagen stuff is just silly. Than again I think some of the thinks in different tradition of Wicca are silly too like need to go skyclad to preform magick.

QUOTE (MacGirl @ Sep 29 2006, 03:13 PM)

Talking about pain that animal feel when they're killed...What about animals that kills other animal and eat them? They also feel pain, just like they feel it when people kill and eat them. This is just food chain you know, it's part of life. 

Yep, I agree with that. Everything is going to die or killed and be eaten anyway, so what's the difference if it's US doing the killing and eating or another animal?? I prefer organically raised meat, because it tastes better and the animals are treated better while they're alive.

I personally can't be a vegetarian, even if I wanted to be. I have a tendency towards iron-deficiency, and also towards depression, which can be made worse by not getting enough vitamin B-12. Yes, you can take B-12 supplements (which I do) but the best way to get it is in animal products.

QUOTE (Hawki @ Sep 29 2006, 07:25 PM)

I think in India they don't eat cow, they think it's a sacred animal. This's happening in a lot religious countries. 

QUOTE (Mac @ Sep 30 2006, 12:37 AM)

Eggs in bread?!

Yes, there is such a thing as egg bread but, otherwise, no eggs go into the making of bread.

Yea I know I'm being a brat but I thinks some of the Veagen stuff is just silly. Than again I think some of the thinks in different tradition of Wicca are silly too like need to go skyclad to preform magick.

You don't need to go skyclad. It's a personal choice. Some people feel it puts them in touch with the universe. Personally, I like to wear a robe.

Religious beliefs tend to look silly to outsiders. I know that if someone had told me years ago that I would believe in what I believe in I would have fallen to the floor laughing. But religion is about revelation, so it's something that can't be explained, much less understood by an 'outsider.'

QUOTE (thlayli87 Sep @ 30 2006, 05:08 AM)

I was watching Strictly Business last night and I noticed in the scene where Murdoc has the dinner spread set up for MacGyver he urges him to sit down and eat, and he says something like "I made it myself. It's vegetarian." This seems to imply that either:
a) Mac was a vegetarian at that point (end of season 6)
b) Murdoc just assumed that he was a vegetarian
c) Murdoc is joking offhandedly, and has no idea whether Mac is vegetarian or not
d) Murdoc is a vegetarian (have we ever seen him eat anything?) 

QUOTE (Lothithil @ Sep 30 2006, 05:24 AM)

If Murdoc had looked inside Mac's 'fridge, he might have assumed that Mac was a vegetarian.

I think that Murdoc was jusst trying to get Mac to sit down and relax, and by saying that everything prepared was vegetarian, it would remove one possible objection to Mac refusing the bait.

I doubt that Murdoc is vegetarian, because in the same episode, he is munching on a chicken leg that he filched from the refrigerator at the campground! 

QUOTE (MacGyverPeter @ Oct 3 2006, 11:11 AM )

Some season 2 examples:

Mac orders chinese food.(It's debateable, but more than likely there is meat in it IMHO)

Pete and Mac come out of an Indian food restaurant. I would imagine indian food might have meat in it, but i don't know, since indians do praise cows... i think?

Mac makes some kinda food... I think again it is indian food, but it goes up in flames. He says "How about some cheeseburgers?" (The one where we meet Pete's family)

MacGyver is health conscience: but however rice and beans is one of the few things you can eat that will give you a complete protien. Wouldnt MacGyver want protien in his diet? I don't recall MacGyver ever eating this combination.

Some other examples:
He bike rides with his neigbor at the beginning he wants to eat donuts and at the end mac gets him on a health food plan.

So logically one would have to establish:
Fact:
MacGyver eats healthily.
Argument:
MacGyver is a vegitarian.

Point:
Establish a healthy diet.
Establish a healthy vegitarian diet.

From the examples we see does MacGyver fit in to 0 , 1, or all of the categories.

From a logical point of view I would say he is a healthy eater, one who is rounded in all 5 food groups (and 6th,fats,etc ( ICECREAM!)). He may happen to prefer vegetables over meats its a little something called: your tastes.

There are cases which can be argued both ways.

I do like lothill's point of view very much.

I see him as a healthy eater who may or may not be converting to vegitarianism gradually by the end of the story. Because from the very beginning : He is startin to feel sympathetic for them chickens. 

QUOTE (MEP @ Oct 3 2006, 12:54 PM)

I jsut found a Quote I just thought I should share.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein 

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Oct 3 2006, 02:53 PM)

I justt found a Quote I just thought I should share.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein 

And that relates to this discussion... how?

QUOTE (MEP @ Oct 3 2006, 04:22 PM)

Oh *** I put in the WRONG one sorry. The one I wanted was about not eatting meat.

Here it is: Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
Albert Einstein 

QUOTE (AbCarter @ Oct 3 2006, 05:41 PM)

Pete and Mac come out of an Indian food restaurant. I would imagine indian food might have meat in it, but i don't know, since indians do praise cows... i think?

There are lots of Indians (I believe you mean food from the country India here, not something native-American), about 1.1 billion I believe. Hindus are often vegetarian. Not all of them: my Indian pen pal used to eat chicken as a kid. Then there also is a large muslim population. And at least in the Netherlands, they seem to be running most of the restaurants: you can't get pork there, or a proper vegetarian.

Becoming a vegetarian is something you can decide on later in life. My brother used to say: "I'm a vegetarian, but not during dinner". A few years ago he became a vegetarian during dinner too. Though, what he eats most of the time, I can't imagine that is either healthy or tasty.

Maybe it's that way for MacGyver too, deciding later on to becoming a vegetarian, or gradually becoming one (though: beans beaten beyond recognision (favourite Pete quote there) don't sound either healthy or tasteful).

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Oct 3 2006, 08:28 PM)

(though: beans beaten beyond recognision (favourite Pete quote there) don't sound either healthy or tasteful).

beans are very healthy for you.

QUOTE (Mac @ Oct 4 2006, 12:35 AM)

(though: beans beaten beyond recognision (favourite Pete quote there) don't sound either healthy or tasteful).

beans are very healthy for you.

In this case, we're talking specifically about soy beans beaten beyond recognition to make tofu. Tofu is absolutely tasteless (thank goodness for sauces!) and its healthiness when eaten in great quantities is currently in dispute*. When MacGyver was airing, however, tofu was definitely considered a healthy food and wasn't too common yet.

QUOTE (AbCarter @ Oct 4 2006, 04:40 AM)

beans are very healthy for you

When I'm thinking of something beaten beyond recognision, food wise that is, I'm also thinking it has been cooked beyond recognision. Cooked into a mushy pulp (no tastes, no vitamines). Beans you can eat through a straw. *shudder*

QUOTE (Amy @ Oct 4 2006, 05:31 AM)

Beans you can eat through a straw. *shudder* 

I tend to agree with that!!!! I once had a bad experience with tofu....just typing the word makes me cringe....

DONE

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 12:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Jacket:  Brown bomber

blink.gif clapping.gif Well done Nymphy! That looks like it was a mammoth tasks!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 12:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

It seemed like a good idea when I started... by the end... not so much. Especially when it got to people quoting other peoples quotes of other people. unsure.gif Yeah.

And I did skip over some offtopic fluffy stuff... like cooking bacon naked or something. blush.gif

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 02:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

It seemed like a good idea when I started... by the end... not so much. Especially when it got to people quoting other peoples quotes of other people.  Yeah.

Tell me about it! Sheesh...I think this is the longest one recovered yet!

And I did skip over some offtopic fluffy stuff... like cooking bacon naked or something.

laugh.gif Um thanks...entertaining as it might have been... tongue.gif

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 23 November 2006 - 07:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6

Thanks for all your hard work recovering those posts. I found them very entertaining. Tofu was a huge fad during the 1980s. You couldn't turn around without it showing up and masquarading as food. I actually tried stir fried bean curd with chinese vegetables--once. It was like eating pieces of a kitchen sponge chopped up and sauteed in brown sauce. Needless to say, tofu dropped off my shopping list, in a hurry.

Indian food is often vegetarian or chicken, lamb or seafood depending on the region where it is prepared. Indian food is characterized by intense flavors built up in layers and some of it can be painfully hot.

Native American food is very regional and depending on the region will have a heavy emphasis on meat. Southwestern Native American food tends to emphasize vegetables since this region is more agricultural in nature.

Some vegans are against using any form of animal products in food, drinks, medicine or clothing to anme just a few. My brother in law is like that. I drew his name in our family Christmas gift exchange and have been reading clothing labels like crazy looking for something made with 100% organic cotton. He will not wear anything made with wool in it. I pointed out to my sister that hsearing doesn't actually hurt the sheep and she just rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders. Oh well, each of us is entitled to his or her beliefs.

Some people are lean more heavily to fruits and veggies simply because they like them as many people have already testified to here. Others choose them because of the health benefits. I am currently on a healthy eating kick and have been putting the focus on the plant world. I am definitely getting results, 15 lbs shed in 3 months and down almost 2 sizes in jeans (yeah!). I am doing this because of the health challenges my husband had this past summer and because I need to set a good example for my son.

I personally think that MacGyver is the typical batchelor--its easier to open a bag of leaves than to actually cook a complete balanced meal. Grrl has fond flashbacks to husband's culinary attempts, Cool Whip Chicken anyone?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 February 2007 - 03:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

This shot is from "Jack in a box" season 3... and thats a chicken leg he's chewing on.

user posted image

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Litteral
Posted on 14 February 2007 - 11:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I have seen him eat a lizard or something that he caught when he was with a lady, in the first season. Almost like Crocodile Dundee.

Old Fan
Posted on 14 February 2007 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

That was from "The Gauntlet"

Mac and Kate Conolly shared an intimate dinner of barbequed lizard whilst on the run from illegal arms dealer Dave Ryerson and General Vasquez.

Kate: "...MacGyver... you don't eat things like that... you call pest control..."

Yum O... rolleyes.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 15 February 2007 - 05:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6

Jungle chicken (BBQ iguana) is a delicacy in Belize. Pass.......

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 21 February 2007 - 08:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Thief of Budapest

Hey All - I just wrote a book with my brother called "MacGyver By the Numbers: A statistical analysis of seasons 1-7" It's on e-bay now, and in it we have a list of everything Mac ever eats on the show and then a seperate category for everything Mac cooks,because they're sometimes different lists. I think MacG is just a health nut until season 7 when Mama Lorraine makes some reference to Mac being a vegitarian.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 March 2007 - 02:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah but both her and MacGyver kinda laughed after she said it.. which indicates she was joking about it... Also the context of the whole comment was in reference to sacrificing a goat to the gods....

How seriously can you take it?

So I don't believe that instance actually proves anything.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 18 March 2007 - 10:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 17 March 2007 - 10:43 AM)

How seriously can you take it?

Much truth is said in jest... wink.gif
Also, the fact that they are laughing isn't neccessarily indicative that they are laughing because she is JOKING about Mac being a vegetarian, they could also be laughing at the absurdity of her telling a god like PaPa Leggba ANYTHING pedestrian, such as that someone is a vegeterian. (BTW these aren't yelling caps, they're emphasis caps) I'm just teasing, I don't REALLY think Mac ever became fully veg either. But we'll never know for sure...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Kate Mackay
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 04:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper Red

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I got the feeling he was a vegetarian . I have still to look at the episodes that he is eating meat . But remember the meal that Murdoc has set for him in " Strictly Business " ? It was very elaborate . And Murdoc TOLD MacGyver that it was vegetarian. It was like MacGyver is a vegetarian and Murdoc knowing it, went to get him all the vegetarian platters he could eat to his content . Then when MacGyver would be filled up from the food, they could get down to the business at hand . That is when Murdoc was going to try to kill MacGyver in order to make it even between them , since MacGyver helped Murdoc with his ( supposed ) sister . ( I say " supposed " since in another area of this forum that question came up as to was Ashton Murdoc's sister. But we won't go into that , here and now .)
Anyway, my point being , I would say that I have that feeling MacGyver is a vegetarian . He has a very healthy way of eating . And I have as yet to see an episode that he ate meat .

Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

He eats meat so many times...but i can see how you would be under the impression that he's a vegeterian smile.gif He's just a health concious person that sometimes eats meat. But by the end of season 7, it's a bit ambiguous (see above). Poor Mac...he lived in the days before Boca Burgers were sold at every Costco. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 04:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

OK... Mac's Carnivorous Ingestions...

-Some unidentifiable meat out of a pot (somewhere season 1 i think?)
-an egg roll (most, though not all, have meat)
-roasted lamb sanwich
-stew fixed by Pete (perhaps contained meat)
-trout
-some meat on a skewer in Thailand
-LIZARD
-prison chicken (I got it Rock wink.gif )

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 05:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

That is so right Pete would just love some hearty beef stew! biggrin.gif I just love Pete! Didn't Mac make some comment one time about Pete sticking on a diet? See I love Pete, he has real human struggles just like the rest of us! laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MEP
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 05:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 21 March 2007 - 10:20 PM)
That is so right Pete would just love some hearty beef stew! biggrin.gif I just love Pete! Didn't Mac make some comment one time about Pete sticking on a diet? See I love Pete, he has real human struggles just like the rest of us!  laugh.gif

God I would hate to see that Pete's cholesterol level is surprise.gif

This post has been edited by Rockatteer on 28 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

Devon636
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 05:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (MEP @ 22 March 2007 - 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (Devon636 @ 21 March 2007 - 10:20 PM)
That is so right Pete would just love some hearty beef stew! biggrin.gif I just love Pete! Didn't Mac make some comment one time about Pete sticking on a diet? See I love Pete, he has real human struggles just like the rest of us!  laugh.gif

God I would hate to see that Pete's colesstral leve is surprise.gif

roller.gif Ha like thru the roof! roller.gif Remember the time when Pete broke his leg and Mac made some like tofu casserole, and Pete wanted to send him out for chinese and ice cream instead? Pete, you are my HERO! laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MEP
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 05:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 21 March 2007 - 10:31 PM)
roller.gif Ha like thru the roof! roller.gif Remember the time when Pete broke his leg and Mac made some like tofu casserole, and Pete wanted to send him out for chinese and ice cream instead? Pete, you are my HERO! laugh.gif

That’s kina funny, today on a Boston Station’s News there was a report that MickyD’s is better for you than Chinese food. blink.gif

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 21 March 2007 - 05:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

blink.gif how did they come to that conclusion?

MacD isn't even real food.. it's so processed that it never goes moldy.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 22 March 2007 - 06:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Ah, they're beating around about high sodium and saturated fats... which anyone with half a brain knows is something to be considered with any foods that are fried and prepared... here's one link at yahoo: http://health.yahoo.com/news/173241

I get weary of the food scare games. yawn.gif These folks would have us eating bark, bugs, lizards, and leaves if they had their way... and they'd still be griping about the high fat-content of bugs with wings vs. bugs without wings, or whatever. happy.gif

I'm sure that someone must have been paid a nifty bundle to say that MickyD's is healther... tell me--do I LOOK like I'm stupid??

*calmly climbs down from her soapbox and melts into the crowd*

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MEP
Posted on 22 March 2007 - 07:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Its a 20 year old Report and they were talking about how much SALT goes in to Chinese.... here in the US..... YEA I KNOW it also CHINES RESTAURANT home made would be that best biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Rockatteer on 28 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

Devon636
Posted on 22 March 2007 - 09:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 23 March 2007 - 02:35 AM)

I get weary of the food scare games. yawn.gif These folks would have us eating bark, bugs, lizards, and leaves if they had their way... and they'd still be griping about the high fat-content of bugs with wings vs. bugs without wings, or whatever. happy.gif

Ya me too. Though I'm not a huge fan of McD's, what with their marketing junk to children, etc. BUT to their credit, they do have things on the menu that even health-aware people can eat too.

You can get a diet coke, black coffee, and a plain green salad w/ no dressing. You can eat on it for a whole hour as you visit with friends or whatever, and at the end of the time you feel like you have been just eating forever. Also, just the smell of cheeseburgers actually tricks your brain into thinking you have eaten them. ALSO the caffiene overload dulls your appetite- scientifically proven. For anyone trying not to go off their diet I swear this works. And you can still join your friends at McD's!

I don't know what the healthy chinese equivalent of this would be...prob. coffee, diet coke and hot and sour soup. Eating out it's hard to be good...MacGyver knows this! Remember that time when he ordered a salad at that wild game restaurant in "The Endangered"? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 22 March 2007 - 10:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

w00t.gif How and the heck did this thread get on to McDonalds?

Mmmmmmm.... Strawberry Shake. huh.gif oops blush.gif

(strawberry shake... 93 ingredients, not one of which is strawberries)

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 March 2007 - 12:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Kate MacKay)
He has a very healthy way of eating . And I have as yet to see an episode that he ate meat .

user posted image

And lets not forget the Gauntlet, where he eats lizard.

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll