Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Several of our members are traveling to, and meeting up at Gatecon this week-end.

As with any great gathering, there will be plenty of stories, photos and memories created. This thread is a place where you can share your Gatecon experience, photos and memmories with the rest of our community.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
banlu
Posted: 21 August 2008 - 11:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Hey y'all!

Astra, Loth, Macbeth and I had dinner last night (Wed) at a classy restaurant with a bunch of Stargate folks.

More latrer

banlu

A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 21 August 2008 - 01:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber

biggrin.gif Only enough time to pop in and say, I'm having the time of my life!! Everybody is so wonderful, Vancouver is beautiful, and the fun is just getting started!

'Grrl, 'Beth, and I are just about to start our 'private tour' of Vancouver and various MacGyver film locations... the clock and Stanley Park are on our to-do list.

My celebrity spotting so far consists of being in line ahead of Dean Haglund (The Lone Gunman, XFiles, Starhole) at the Hotel registration. *glee*

Tonight, I hope to further narrowed my degrees of separation from RDA!

*bounces around happily* More details as I have a chance to report! cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 21 August 2008 - 02:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

laugh.gif keep the reports rolling in guys and take lots of pictures! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted: 21 August 2008 - 07:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

*wibble*

I miss you guys so much...can you miss an experience you're not having?

How does that work?

Love you all, truly, and wish you nothing but the best.

Take care of each other, and I'll talk to you when you get back.

Hugs,
wabbit

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 21 August 2008 - 10:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I don't have the energy to recount in suitable detail the amazing experience I had tonight... watching 'Beth and 'Grrl capering about on stage along a bunch of other GateGoers with Alex Zahara and Dan Payne during 'SG Fun'... I can only say that I laughed so hard that I think I coughed up a rib!

Details to follow... and photographs (unless I can get them to pay me for the negatives... ) tongue.gif

-Laughing Lothi laugh.gif

MacBeth
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 12:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

Gatecon, Day One . . .

I’ll have to post later about the evildoings of last night and the day before; because right now, I have to get as much of the morning panel out to you folks as I possibly can, while the memories are at their freshest.

Each of the three days of RDA’s programming is themed: Sunday will be the MacGyver day, Saturday is focused on Stargate, today is the Sea Shepherds day. As originally announced and planned, today was the one day for which RDA was committed to doing programming: the rest of the events grew out of that original agreement. Each Gatecon (as I understand it) has been in aid of charity, with a particular focus on a different organisation each year.

And this year, it’s Sea Shepherds. More than that: this year, it’s RDA. One of the pointers given us at our volunteer briefing yesterday afternoon was that “It’s taken 20 years for Mr. Anderson to agree to attend a convention – let’s not scare him off, okay?” dry.gif

So Friday morning in the main ballroom, on a stage set up with a Stargate as a backdrop and entrance, Captain Paul Watson and RDA made their appearance for an hour of talk and Q&A about the environment and the Sea Shepherds mission. I’ll try to remember as much as I can of what was said, although I’m not going to be focusing on Captain Watson – you can go to the Sea Shepherds website for more about them!

Good lord, where to begin? Well, for starters, he looked great. We’ll get photos up at some point, but for now, just remember how RDA looked at the Continuum premiere and picture him more casually dressed – black Sea Shepherds T-shirt, khaki trousers, lightweight jacket. Black shoes. White socks. RDA began by talking about how this is his first Gatecon, and mentioned that after attending Avalon and then having ‘a great time’ at Comic Con, he was in a much better ‘comfort zone’ when it came to attending these events. He introduced Watson, describing how deeply moved he had been by Watson when they had met years before at a charity skiing event.

Actually, take that back. He started by cracking jokes. After the two had entered, they bowed, he salaamed to Watson, and then started to say goodbye and leave. They took their seats on the stage and one of the crew brought them water; he thanked her and then started checking his pockets and asked Watson, “Got any change?” He told the crowd to ‘stop taking pictures’, and when the cameras were immediately lowered, said “No! Just kidding!” He commented on how the attendees had come halfway round the world – and the cameras began to click again. He was relaxed and at ease, continuing to make jokes all the way through, often following Watson’s comments with a silly remark or using silly voices to call on audience members when the question session began.

RDA was asked about whether there was any maritime history in his family, and he answered that his ancestors were Scandinavian – “They were Vikings. We used to rape and pillage. We’ve given that up, though.” Watson pointed out that he’s now a pirate. (The Sea Shepherds are regarded as pirates by some of their adversaries.) He mentioned they were miners after they settled in Minnesota.

He was asked about becoming involved in environmental causes, and mentioned that growing up in Minnesota, he had spent as much of his life as he could out of doors. He was asked about MacGyver, and how the later seasons moved more towards environmental causes in the stories; he said that it was not so much his direct influence, as an interactive process. Over the years, the writers were ‘tapping into’ his interests, ‘writing to his strengths’: he would return from a weekend of racing cars ‘elated’ (or hurting, if he’d crashed), or be reading an issue of National Geographic, and the ideas would start from that. He specifically mentioned ‘the rhino episode’ and the auto racing story.

One particularly fascinating comment he made, after the subject of MacGyver had been brought up, was a brief retelling of the day he auditioned for the role. He mentioned having been motorcycling ‘up the coast’, and how he’d answered the call from his agent and shown up disheveled from the ride, wearing his leather jacket – but he also said that he’d been on the verge of leaving the acting business, and had been thinking of what he was going to do with his life instead.

That was quite a moment to hear.

This is already a way-too-long post, so I’d better wrap it up . . . but there was a really fine moment when Paul Watson was first talking about RDA’s involvement with Sea Shepherds, and his coming along with them on some of their trips. On one voyage, the ship was holed and began to take on water; the crew asked why RDA couldn’t fix the ship, since he was MacGyver!

RDA’s answer to them: he didn’t have his writers with him. laugh.gif

I'll post more later . . . I'm still giddy!

'Beth

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 06:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Wow! This is great stuff, guys! Now I don't feel quite as deprived! RDA's story about the MacGyver audition is fascinating. It's a good thing he didn't give up on acting, or we (the broader world) would never have gotten to know what an amazing, incredible, charming guy he is! Also, imagine...by just one twist of fate we might have had someone different playing the role of MacGyver *gasps* surprise.gif ohmy.gif I can't wait to hear more and see your pictures! Woo hoo! happy_dance.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 10:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Lothi here... reporting in from 30,000 feet... floating, that is, on a cloud of elation after coming from the Banquet. Our table was packed with wonderful people; 'Beth, Astra, Banlu, Aud, Jane and Su, Paya, Dinky and Jo, and myself were all sitting together, having a WONDERFUL crazy time (snaps shots from our performance of 'Dancing Queen' will soon be available... providing the ransom is refused) and taking pictures with the Special Guests, Dean Haglund, Colin Cunningham, Dan Payne, Corin Nemic, to name the ones we managed to get photos with us.

Never. Had. So. Much. Fun. We had four countries represented at our table tonight...Great Britain, Germany, the Czech Republic, and the good ol' USA... the world (Northern Hemisphere, anyway) at a single table, for four hours of laughter and good food, dazzling stars and flashbulbs.

The panel with Richard and Captain Watson today was incredible. I can see why Rick... *sigh wub.gif * ... is so passionate in his support of this amazing, brave, and fascinating man. I was proud to shake his hand after the panel, and honored when he signed my program next to his photograph. Incredible.

I'm head over heels high right now, just taking the time to post this while the euphoria is with me, before I go off and try to get some sleep... preparing myself to see The Man tomorrow for his Stargate panel, and then again later for my autograph session... *gulp*faint*

If I sleep at all tonight... it will be a *blinking* miracle! biggrin.gif

-Lothorizine

MacBeth
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 10:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (LothintheClouds)
If I sleep at all tonight... it will be a *blinking* miracle!  biggrin.gif

*applies soporific trout to Lothi's head*

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacBeth
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 10:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

And how has LOLMac been doing at Gatecon? Very well, thank you.

With Grrl's invaluable help and connivance, we printed out and laminated a collection of the Best of LOLMac, mostly in the form of small (2 1/2") squares with pins glued to the back (although the glue and the laminate keep parting company). We've been giving them away to people, to share the glee.

Meanwhile, back in Photoshop . . .

Day minus-three -- vacation starts:
LOLMaiTai

Day minus-two -- on the road north:
LOLTicket

Day minus-one -- at the hotel:
LOLElevator

Gatecon, Day One:
LOL.SAK II

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 23 August 2008 - 02:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Great stuff guys. Glad your all enjoying yourselves biggrin.gif

Keep the updates coming in.... and don't forget to let RDA know that MacGyver is ONLINE. *hint hint* laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 03:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

Awesome reports guys! Can't wait to hear more! Love the tidbit about his audition and how he was joking around... *sigh* brings back memories of the San Diego Sea Shepards event!

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 05:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

So guys, any reports on what he said about MacGyver? MacG.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 06:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

They're all high from over dose of RDA well above the RDA. They've got the munchies and can't operate their computers. laugh.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 08:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

*munchmunch munch* Huh?

Okay, okay . . . actually, we've been without internet access since the wee hours of Saturday morning, and it's now Monday evening. We just got back to Seattle.

Lothi got to meet him -- I'll let her tell you all about that! We didn't actually need to resuscitate her, although care had to be taken for the next several hours -- okay, days -- to make sure she didn't float away through the ceiling. wub.gif

No, Rocky, don't worry. None of us embarrassed ourselves in public (unless you count the raucous singing in the bar) or behaved indecorously, at least not around RDA.

In fact, since Lothi and I are currently sharing an internet connection, I'll log out now and let her have the floor first. cool.jpg

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Lothithil
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 09:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I waited in line patiently for my turn to collect an autograph from Richard Dean Anderson. I was grateful for the efficient airconditioning in the room... my hands were sweating a little, and I had to be careful not to grip the photograph I had chosen for him to sign for me too tightly, lest I crease it.

The only thing that kept me from insanity was seeing the familiar faces of my friends.. Banlu I remember seeing, and Aud, who graciously allowed me to proceed her in line. There were others... but I can't remember them all now... there was a great feeling of support in that patiently impatient line of fans.

The line moved slow; when a person got called up for their turn, the whole line moved forward one seat. I was both impatient and grateful... I had time to practice my composure.

When I reached the head of the line, I started finding it a bit difficult to breathe. He was sitting no more than ten feet from me, head down over the item he was personalizing. I got called up while he was still visiting with the girl ahead of me, and when his minder slid the photo I had selected of him over, he looked up and gave me a reasuring smile and said "Hi".

"Hello," I said, hopefully in the correct language.

The organizers of the auto session had written names on a sticky-notes so there would be no misspelling problems; mine said, quite simply 'Cat'.

"That's your name?" he said, looking up at me with a grin.

"Yes." Remember to breathe. "Short for Catherine."

He looked back down at the photo; it depicted himself and a small seal in a snowy setting. He selected a pen and bent over his writing pad, and began to carefully scribe on the photo.

I knew I should be making light conversation, or something, but honestly... all I wanted to do was stand there and watch him writing out my name and his brief but sweet message... watching his hands, which have always fascinated me so... so that is what I did. I watied patiently, smiling, for him to finish. He blew on the ink a little, then slid the picture toward me with a smile and a twinkle in his eye.

I remembered who I was again.

"There ya go," he said softly, as if he suspected that I might spook if he spoke too loudly. His smile was encouraging.

"Thank you!" I said. I was already smiling, but I smiled more and added, "I'd like to say hello to you on behalf of the members of MacGyver Online."

He brightened and said, "Thank you!". He looked pleased and happy. I nodded to him, said thanks again, and floated toward the exit.

The girls watching the door were all smiling at me, and kindly guided me back to the table to collect my bag which I had forgotten completely. I stepped out of the room and into the corridor outside. A line of nervous, excited people were waiting their own turns. I smiled and walked past slowly, carrying my new treasure and waiting until the ink was dry enough to put it back into its protector.

I don't remember anything after that... blink.gif

tongue.gif (more later... must use what little precious time is left to me for conspiring with 'Beth)

banlu
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 09:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck

Flying home tomorrow.

More in a few days

Pic from Sunday morning when he first walked onto the stage.

user posted image

banlu

A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 25 August 2008 - 09:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Back again, although only briefly because it's getting late! It is going to take days to get all the stuff out of our heads and onto the forum -- tons of pictures, tons of memories.

They videotaped a lot of the con; we've ordered copies of the Gatecon DVD, which is expected out in about 6 weeks (and hopefully that won't stretch to six months or more). Once I have my DVD in hand, I'll be able to transcribe whatever relevant sections are included and post those. We have no idea what it will contain, of course, since they'll have to pick and choose from three full days of events -- including Grrl and myself larking around on stage during the "SG-Fun" parody show on Thursday night.

A few quick sneak preview notes:

I entered the costume parade, and won a prize.

Lothi and I were interviewed by a Dutch journalist about fandom in general and fanfiction in particular.

Grrl, Astra and I were amongst the attendees at a workshop on writing held by Sabine Bauer, a woman who has successfully made the jump from writing fanfic to writing published Stargate novels. Each attendee at this workshop submitted a 1000-word piece of writing, and the work was discussed and critiqued in the workshop. Ms. Bauer was very supportive and encouraging.

The auction on Saturday night raised over US $28,000 for Sea Shepherds. That's just the auction; we're waiting for the report on how much was raised by the entire event. Captain Watson is an extraordinary man and a very powerful speaker. RDA has been invited to accompany them on their next campaign in Antarctica!

We gave away almost all the LOLMacs we'd prepared, and got a lot of laughs. On Monday morning, I found out that apparently RDA did see them at some point; he was a little confused (not being familiar with LOLCats) but thought they were funny.

Although the Sunday panel was supposed to be focussed on MacGyver, it turned instead into a general Q&A, with questions on everything from MacGyver to Stargate to Legend to snack foods. I'll post more details about the MacGyver info later -- I did, in fact, get a chance to ask him a question myself!

It was obvious during the entire event that RDA was having a terrific time. His final panel on Sunday -- which was also attended by Amanda Tapping (as a surprise guest) and his daughter Wylie -- was followed by a tribute to Don Davis, and then by the closing ceremony; and he announced that he'd had a great time and was willing to attend more events.

At the wrap party we were officially informed that we had "made Mr. Anderson very, very happy" and that his last words as he left were, "I'll be back next year. Just give me a call."

'Beth

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 01:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

AWESOME!!

I can't wait to hear more details!

Loth mentioned MOL to RDA! Excellent!

Impatiently looking forward to more reports and photos.

happy_dance.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SHEILA
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 02:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
House:  Second Loft

I can't wait eather.Hi rock iI know this is not the place for this but I sent you an email a few moments ago.I can't get the map to work on the sit.I need a list of a list of were Mac has traviled to can you help.Please...

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 05:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites

Banlu-thank you for sharing that wonderful pic.

Lothi, Beth-you know I'll see you on LJ and there shall be much talking about this later. I have to run off to the dentist soon, and I don't really have a lot of words now, so...how about: *love* (oh, and hi back!)

Grrl, Astra-hi back to you, too! Thanks for sending greetings back to me with Becky! *hug*

And finally...BACK NEXT YEAR???

I was good and saved my pennies this year, but, um...well, I'm not usually like this, but, um...I reget it. So, um...yeah...about that next year thing...yeah...

(Hope, hope, hope! We'll see. RDA or not, I'd love to hang with you all!)

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 07:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 August 2008 - 05:51 PM)

At the wrap party we were officially informed that we had "made Mr. Anderson very, very happy" and that his last words as he left were, "I'll be back next year.  Just give me a call."

'Beth

Hi Beth,
Please forgive the rudeness of my question, but how much does a Gatecon experience cost? I just wonder if I would ever be able to afford it---maybe in 20 years from now?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 11:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

It was so great to meet all the girls (hugs) and I had a wonderful time! More later, just wanted to show a few of Paya's pictures:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Attention - naked skin on the belly!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 11:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 23 August 2008 - 08:10 AM)
(snaps shots from our performance of 'Dancing Queen' will soon be available... providing the ransom is refused)

Jolene even took a video of this... If you all are strong enough to watch it.

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 22 August 2008 - 10:09 PM)
talking about RDA’s involvement with Sea Shepherds, and his coming along with them on some of their trips.  On one voyage, the ship was holed and began to take on water; the crew asked why RDA couldn’t fix the ship, since he was MacGyver! 

RDA’s answer to them: he didn’t have his writers with him.  laugh.gif

You forgot how he spilled his coffee when Paul said that... We have a picture from that somewhere...

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 12:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

WOW. Those are some really good photos.

RDA looks healthy and happy. And I must say, after looking at those pictures, he could still pull off the MacGyver look.

MacG.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 05:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Thank you guys for continuing to supply us with these wonderful stories and pictures from the event! Rick does look great--he has aged well! I heard from others on other forums that he is anxious to get active and healthy again and that his weight gain had to do with health issues (surgeries, etc.), which is completely understandable. Were any of you present when he told the story about his heart having an abnormalilty of some kind when he went diving? Scary stuff! ohmy.gif I'm glad he'll be all right! Keep up the good work on these detailed reports! Oh, and congratulations are in order for Loth for meeting (and surviving laugh.gif ) her encounter with The Man! biggrin.gif I'm loving this! It's almost as exciting as being there! happy_dance.gif clapping.gif

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 05:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Paya's pictures are amazing! My own look terribly pale in comparison... hard to take pictures when your hands are shaking... but I will fish out the ones that look fair and try to get 'em up for you guys.

Were any of you present when he told the story about his heart having an abnormality of some kind when he went diving? Scary stuff! ohmy.gif  I'm glad he'll be all right!

I nearly had a heart attack myself listening to RDA talk about this! *gulp* I recall something I heard from Comic Con (I think) when he was talking about having to spend time in a hyperbaric chamber... I'm guessing that was related to the problem he talked about.

RDA told us during one of his Q&As that he had felt something funny in his chest when he was diving in a swimming pool with his daughter. He was planning a scuba dive soon, so he went in for a check up and the doctor said that a dive over 20 feet would probably have killed him.

RDA said that was the first time that he'd listened to the warnings from his own body.

He went on to say that he is improving, and that he'd recently been cleared to dive up to 60 feet... but hoped to improve that number, since he likes deeper dives.

I also had a bit of a wibble hearing him talk about joining Capt. Watson's future campaign to Antarctica... as much as I love him for the adventure in his heart, I pray that he doesn't get himself harpooned by an illegal whaler. mellow.gif

Astra
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 06:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 27 August 2008 - 03:52 AM)

RDA told us during one of his Q&As that he had felt something funny in his chest when he was diving in a swimming pool with his daughter. He was planning a scuba dive soon, so he went in for a check up and the doctor said that a dive over 20 feet would probably have killed him.

I believe it even only were ten feet. He dived six feet in the pool with Wylie and the doctor said if he had gone at this dive trip at ten feet he already might have died. I'm so glad he listened to his body!

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 August 2008 - 06:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Wow that is kinda scary. Thats a not a web page I ever want to have to make. sad.gif

It makes one aware of our own mortality when you hear about active healthy people having heart problems. It makes you wonder if life style does relaly have much of a bearing on our health after all.

I'm loving all the stories and pictures we're getting, this is probably about as close as I'll ever get to meeting him myself, although if he heads down to Antarctica he might stop in NZ (probably the south island though - still no good to me).

Anyway keep the stories and pictures rolling in if you can guys. This is great!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll