Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 75 - The battle of Tommy Giordano

MacGyver helps a co-worker rescue her eight year old son after the father kidnaps him and takes him to a powerful mob boss Uncle in Canada.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 11 November 2006 - 04:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Vote from October 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 3 ] [23.08%]
Good [ 6 ] [46.15%]
Excellent [ 4 ] [30.77%]
Total Votes: 13

Archived posts

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 13 2006, 01:16 AM
I voted excellent on this great and powerful episode. By the way this Richard Giordano showed before in Rock the Cradle as Carlos. The chemistry between MacGyver and Ruth Giordano is great and I love Mac's input during the episode to get Tommy back. Tommy was a great kid with a nice car.
Finally a female writer (Marianne Clarkson) who can actually write a decent MacGyver adventure. I wish she did some more. Marianne Clarkson and Michelle Poteet-Lisanti where the two best female writers. 

Posted by: MacGyver Feb 13 2006, 09:09 AM
"The Battle of Tommy Giordano" was definitely a pretty good episode. I thought it was an interesting power struggle between Tommy's mom and dad and MacGyver came in the middle of it to Tommy's rescue. And MacGyver had some pretty cool MacGyverisms in this one too- like listening in on the phone calls in the next room and using the remote control car at the end to deliver a smoke screen right around the bad guys.
sak.gif duct.gif 

Posted by: Lothithil Feb 14 2006, 07:07 AM
This is a very good episode. I like how Mac helps Ruth realize that she's capable of anything, and little Tommy is just adorable. I like Uncle Joe, too.

I'd first seen this ep in commercial tv. When the DVD came, I enjoyed the whole show anew when I got to see the edited 'are you guys from California' scene... very funny! 

Posted by: MacGirl Feb 16 2006, 11:57 AM
Excellent! One of the eps that shows Mac doing good away from his job. Always great.

I don't think I'd seen this one before, so it was a lot of fun to watch. I LOVED the "Are you guys from California?" scene!! I was roller.gif Also liked Mac's very creative use of the robot. And I agree, Lothithil, I also liked how Mac empowered Mary Ruth to do what needed to be done. That was always one of my fave parts of the show... when Mac shows others the strength they have inside them, and helps them act on it. 

Old Fan Posted on Feb 16 2006, 01:56 PM

Yes!!! I love the scene in the motel office (are you guys from California... - thanks MacGirl) as Mac and Mary Ruth are checking in and he says to her, "...just follow my lead..." and he goes into this hippy/crazy routine, and she goes, "...oh right... the wrong number really messes with my polarity..." - just to get the room number next door to the one that the bad guys have checked into.

This scene is always cut when the episode is televised and it's a shame 'cause its hysterical.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif jeep.gif 

Sheepy Posted on Mar 16 2006, 12:54 AM

"For sure" LOL!
I voted good, I can't vote excellent on all of them, right?
I liked this episode very much.
My fav episodes are the ones you can remember having seen a long long time ago. And this was one of them, with the parts at the motel and the remote control toy. 

MacsChick Posted on Mar 16 2006, 02:16 PM

The little boy in this one is cute! I like the hotel part, too, and MacGyver's interactions with all the characters, especially the boy, his mother, and his grandfather, who looks perplexed by the "MacGyverism" of the remote control car explosion. happy.gif One thing that bothers me...why did they have to name the bad guy "Richard?" I wonder if that made RDA uncomfortable at times, or it confused him during the shoot. I can just picture it now:

Director: "Okay, now Richard is going to stand there, and..."
RDA and actor playing "Richard": "What?"
Director: "Not YOU, Richard! Richard!"
RDA and other actor: "Who?"

Okay, so I'm being silly. tongue.gif 

Rockatteer Posted on Mar 16 2006, 08:02 PM

DOn't think they would have had that problem... everyone calls RDA Rick...cos he hates being called Richard.

I don't think it would have bothered RDA at all... its a charecter name in a story.

Lothithil Posted on Mar 21 2006, 01:56 AM

QUOTE (MacsChick @ Mar 15 2006, 10:06 PM)

Director: "Okay, now Richard is going to stand there, and..."
RDA and actor playing "Richard": "What?"
Director: "Not YOU, Richard! Richard!"
RDA and other actor: "Who?"

I can see Rick the practical joker doing this, just to keep things fun on the set!

LOL! What I would give to have been a fly-on-the-studio wall during the filming of these shows!

MacsChick Posted on Mar 21 2006, 01:38 PM

Oh, I know! I so wish they had behind the scenes footage! Darn! sad.gif 

Sheepy Posted on Mar 24 2006, 09:00 PM
I love the fighting -scene outside the zoo! The way he puts his entire bodyweight into it, it's brilliant.
And I like how he gets smacked into the door. (I'm not a sadist, just think it's agreat shot!!) 

MacsChick Posted on Mar 25 2006, 11:45 AM
I wonder how many bruises he'd get after shooting one of these episodes. He's very physical, and it seems like he threw his entire body into these kinds of scenes. I know they do a lot of stunt work and fight coordination so that it looks real, but I have to say...it really looked like he hit that door! Ouch! ohno-smiley.gif 

Rockatteer Posted on Mar 25 2006, 01:43 PM

if you freeze-frame in the right place his face is actually squashed against the window... so I would say he would have had a headache after that at the very least... even though his arms and/or body took the impact of the door...his face still hit it

sak.gif

Sheepy Posted on Mar 25 2006, 09:37 PM

so I would say he would have had a headache after that ...

Or at least a very painful jaw.... huh.gif

thlayli87 Posted on May 4 2006, 05:44 AM

I tried watching this episode twice in the past week, but I fell asleep both times. Not that it's bad, just kinda slow-paced. I put in a null vote. Will try again soon. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted on 30 August 2007 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Just watched this again. Found that Uncle Joe's last name is Catano. Like the Katano in Stargate SG-1? Anyway got amazed again at seing the fight outside the aquarium and Mac hitting the glass.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 30 August 2007 - 11:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

That really looked like it hurt! ohmy.gif

Poor Mac!

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 30 August 2007 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

This is one of my favorites. I love where Mac runs through the door leading outside the aquarium and the bad guy draws back to punch him, and Mac knocks him out before he could react. Pow! laugh.gif

And I like Tommy's mother's "Distraction" for the hitmen so Mac can get out. tongue.gif

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 31 August 2007 - 03:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I love this one too. My favorite part is when Mac and the woman are checking into the motel, and the ensuing conversation there. I liked episodes that showed family values

Nutsy
Posted on 31 August 2007 - 08:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 31 August 2007 - 07:37 AM)
That really looked like it hurt! ohmy.gif

Poor Mac!

No wonder!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 11 July 2008 - 06:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather

My favorite part is when Joe slugs Richard the character, his nephew at the end. He was going to take off and let his kid get killed!!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 9 September 2008 - 04:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker

Just watched this episode and loved the motel check-in scene. I also enjoyed watching some MacGyverism failed (the robot was kicked by the bad guy and not giving out smoke as they should as planned) because it really reflected what would happened in real life -- you don't always get what you want as planned. cool.jpg

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted on 10 September 2008 - 09:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Episode:The Heist

I loved the phonejacking (pun intended) in the motel. Completely brilliant. And the numerology comment, you can tell what Minnesota-Boy RDA thought about all the screwballs he met in California tongue.gif I would bet a small sum of money that his comment wasn't scripted.

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 01:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved it when Mac and her was checking into a motel.

deepfathom393
Posted on 25 May 2010 - 07:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

I watched this ep for the first time today. I thought it was very well-written and I especially like the fact that the little boy acted like a real little boy and not some cutsied up child actor that doesn't pull it off very well.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
jennkurz
Posted on 28 February 2011 - 08:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: tinker

Favorites
Episode:passages/ outsiders/ ma dalton
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

one of my favorite episodes however only in the 80s would a grown man playing with a young boy who utters the line "tommy was a good friend of mine ever since the first time i gave him a bath and got wetter than he did" not cause a huge backlash of people crying foul. try putting that scene on tv today and youd have every watchgroup in america calling macgyver a pedofile

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 March 2011 - 01:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (jennkurz @ 1 March 2011 - 05:21 PM)
one of my favorite episodes however only in the 80s would a grown man playing with a young boy who utters the line "tommy was a good friend of mine ever since the first time i gave him a bath and got wetter than he did" not cause a huge backlash of people crying foul. try putting that scene on tv today and youd have every watchgroup in america calling macgyver a pedofile

I really doubt it.

Most people are mature enough to understand the meaning of that sentence without reducing it to the perverted toilet humor I suspect that comment was based on.

(yes I've seen that clip on youtube as well) dry.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
BrakeFluid
Posted on 2 March 2011 - 06:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders
Vehicle: Truck

If anything, I'd have expected that line to cause more trouble in the '80s than in any other decade before or since. It was, after all, the '80s that gave us the daycare sex-abuse witch-hunt which resulted in an unknown, but tragically high, number of innocent people being thrown in jail.

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 5 August 2013 - 09:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif Not a bad episode. Mac uses his talents to rescue a co-workers son who has been taken to Canada by her ex-husband whose uncle is a powerful Mob boss. The Macgyverisms were pretty good. Tapping the motel phone was pretty good. I wonder if you can do that today with fiber optics? I remember growing up with dial router phones.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted on 6 August 2013 - 01:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I liked this episode. Tommy is adorable.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
themacgyverproject
Posted on 21 August 2015 - 07:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

One fun fact about this episode that I never noticed until someone pointed it out to me is that when the mobsters are watching hockey in the motel room, the game they're listening to is the one from "Thin Ice," and you can hear the announcer reference "that kid Kirby."

Joe SAKic
Posted on 21 August 2015 - 08:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

Awesome. I pointed out the game out on the episodes with hockey thread .... but failed to realize that it was the audio clip from 'Thin Ice'. Iirc, the clip wasn't real crisp and, I would have, could have, should have recognized, Steve Armitage, the announcer's voice under normal audio conditions.

Armitage is a Canadian institution in the sports broadcasting field. You probably could have caught up to him for an interview up until last year - sadly he was a victim of the ongoing CBC cutbacks and was laid off last August. If you can track him down, I'd be happy to help with a few hockey questions that might pique his interest though ... smile.gif

https://twitter.com/davidcommon/status/499532902791917568

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

themacgyverproject
Posted on 22 August 2015 - 06:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 22 August 2015 - 04:19 PM)
Awesome. I pointed out the game out on the episodes with hockey thread .... but failed to realize that it was the audio clip from 'Thin Ice'. Iirc, the clip wasn't real crisp and, I would have, could have, should have recognized, Steve Armitage, the announcer's voice under normal audio conditions.

Armitage is a Canadian institution in the sports broadcasting field. You probably could have caught up to him for an interview up until last year - sadly he was a victim of the ongoing CBC cutbacks and was laid off last August. If you can track him down, I'd be happy to help with a few hockey questions that might pique his interest though ... smile.gif

Thanks for the Steve Armitage suggestion -- I hadn't heard of him before, but I'll give him a look and will let you know if I get a hold of him. smile.gif

KiwiTek
Posted on 22 August 2015 - 02:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 22 August 2015 - 04:19 PM)

Yes but would they be MacGyver or episode related?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 22 August 2015 - 03:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

... undoubtedly. ohmy.gif

The series played an important PR role for the sport at a time when it needed a booster
shot & was looking to expand it's market and influence much further throughout the world.

In particular, there was a gathering storm at the time that the episode 'Thin Ice' aired with Wayne Gretzky
only months from being traded to the LA Kings, a trade that would change the sport of hockey forever. The Gretzky label is well known to the series.

Armitage was well plugged in and would know the importance/influence this series played and more importantly the buzz it carried back to the sports media circles at the time. All crucial in the timeline and as to how/what the sport has evolved into today.

So, with all that in mind, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the whole issue, especially as a media insider. smile.gif

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679887

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll