Murdoc and Penny Parker, was he really in love??
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Dragondog
Posted: 26 December 2017 - 07:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 25 December 2017 - 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 25 December 2017 - 10:01 PM)
Another thing to consider is that Murdoc not only lacked good people in his life, but was influenced by bad people. Of course, Murdoc's still responsible for his own bad choices, but he might not have made them under different circumstances.

Say Murdoc's parents died when he was 16 or so, and Ashton was still a baby, forcing him to scramble to help them both survive. He may have dropped her at a doorstep of a foster home, and ran away, having no idea where to go or who to turn to. If Nicolas found him at this point, and Murdoc was feeling helpless, scared, and alone, Nicolas knew just how to manipulate him, and Murdoc didn't think he had other options. Eventually, he may have lost sight of his own morals, and Penny Parker reminded him of what he used to be.

Kinda funny, how this was just a discussion of Penny and Murdoc's relationship, but escalated into this full-blown back story thing laugh.gif

Kinda funny that you should mention all of this, because I actually completely agree with you. I even wrote an entire short story on this premise, and it's actually very similar to the points you just brought up. I hadn't gotten around to posting it yet because I was waiting until after the holidays, but it seems like great minds think alike! biggrin.gif

Yeah, the discussion sort of spiraled, but I love that. Everything is connected to everything else. happy.gif

I have other ideas about Murdoc's past, but I'm saving some of them for some other discussions on this forum. I'll mention them on the threads more fitting to that subject wink.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 11 January 2018 - 03:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

You know, I used to watch ABC's Once Upon a Time before it got too scary for me to stand, LOL. I remember a scene where one of the villains, Rumplestilskin (or however that's spelled) tried to confess his feelings to Belle. Rumple must have left a mark on me, because I notice now that Murdoc reminds me so much of him, both in personality and behavior. They even move alike. I think that Deja Vu feeling might be the real reason the scene where Murdoc confesses his feelings to Penny never felt quite right to me.

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 14 January 2018 - 08:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 11 January 2018 - 06:40 PM)
You know, I used to watch ABC's Once Upon a Time before it got too scary for me to stand, LOL. I remember a scene where one of the villains, Rumplestilskin (or however that's spelled) tried to confess his feelings to Belle. Rumple must have left a mark on me, because I notice now that Murdoc reminds me so much of him, both in personality and behavior. They even move alike. I think that Deja Vu feeling might be the real reason the scene where Murdoc confesses his feelings to Penny never felt quite right to me.

I watched that show for its first season. Belle and Rumple were the best part for me. They were the reason I watched the show!

I think a lot of that deja vu goes back to the "beauty and the beast" archetype. There's really no such thing as an original story. We're all just writing and rewriting the same basic themes that are universal (or almost universal) across human history. Good/evil, dark/light, beautiful/ugly, monster/maiden, opposites attracting, redemption... All of those things repeat in multiple places, like echoes or ripples in a pond. Penny and Murdoc, Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, Beauty and the Beast, Ann Darrow and King Kong... They're all the same story. Beautiful and innocent girl meets evil monstrous man, she sees something good in him, and after some resistance, the man is inspired by her to seek redemption. Of course, the fact that these stories share so much in common doesn't make them any less special, but yeah, we all have our favorite version of the tale.

Sorry... English teacher waxing poetic over here. whistle.gif

"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 15 January 2018 - 02:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 14 January 2018 - 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 11 January 2018 - 06:40 PM)

I watched that show for its first season. Belle and Rumple were the best part for me. They were the reason I watched the show!

I think a lot of that deja vu goes back to the "beauty and the beast" archetype. There's really no such thing as an original story. We're all just writing and rewriting the same basic themes that are universal (or almost universal) across human history. Good/evil, dark/light, beautiful/ugly, monster/maiden, opposites attracting, redemption... All of those things repeat in multiple places, like echoes or ripples in a pond. Penny and Murdoc, Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, Beauty and the Beast, Ann Darrow and King Kong... They're all the same story. Beautiful and innocent girl meets evil monstrous man, she sees something good in him, and after some resistance, the man is inspired by her to seek redemption. Of course, the fact that these stories share so much in common doesn't make them any less special, but yeah, we all have our favorite version of the tale.

Sorry... English teacher waxing poetic over here. whistle.gif

No problem, I get poetic sometimes myself.

Yeah, Belle and Rumple were my favorite part of the show, too, but I couldn't make it through the second season, because it was getting too dark, especially compared to the relatively light-hearted first season.

I suppose that old trope does happen a lot, but it fits so well, especially for a guy like Murdoc. Sometimes I wish the Murdoc/Penny relationship was touched on after "Cleo Rocks".

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 16 January 2018 - 09:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 15 January 2018 - 05:44 PM)
I suppose that old trope does happen a lot, but it fits so well, especially for a guy like Murdoc. Sometimes I wish the Murdoc/Penny relationship was touched on after "Cleo Rocks".

I do, too. Especially since, after MacGyver showed her that file on Murdoc, Penny commented on how lonely he must be, always pretending to be someone else. She seemed to be sympathetic to him instead of hating him. And falling in love like that doesn't go away so easily, especially not for someone like Murdoc. Love sticks to you. That could've been a good opportunity if they had run with it. I understand why they didn't, but still... If only!

"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 17 January 2018 - 03:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 16 January 2018 - 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 15 January 2018 - 05:44 PM)

I do, too. Especially since, after MacGyver showed her that file on Murdoc, Penny commented on how lonely he must be, always pretending to be someone else. She seemed to be sympathetic to him instead of hating him. And falling in love like that doesn't go away so easily, especially not for someone like Murdoc. Love sticks to you. That could've been a good opportunity if they had run with it. I understand why they didn't, but still... If only!

Well, that's what fanfiction is for wink.gif

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll