Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Being an avid Steven Spielberg fan, Close Encounters remains as one of my highlight spectacles. Made twenty years before Independence Day and being the next movie Spielberg & Dreyfuss worked on after the success of Jaws, was set more on the circumstances of what people had encountered from the past according to UFO records.

This was also a very personal movie for Spielberg by mirroring his family to Roy's (Dreyfuss) dysfunctional family.

The movie projected a positive experience on the UFO / alien phenomenon as opposed to the often cataclysmic approach done dozens of times before Close Encounters. And although it wasnt the first (The Day The Earth Stood Still), it certainly felt like it was.

Let's not forget William's timeless score including the main theme used to represent the visitors. thumbup.gif

Surprised you didnt like it. For me, this was a 5 star treatment.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 17 November 2016 - 12:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

I can sort of see where MacGyverGod is coming from. Close Encounters certainly broke new ground when it came to special effects – my parents speak of seeing it on the big cinema screen and still talk about the scenes where the big spaceship comes in and fills the view. I’ve seen it on TV it does seem rather…err…..slow! Don’t get me wrong I generally love Spielberg movies, but this is not one I’ve seen time after time (to me the mark of a movie I’ve really enjoyed). I think I’ve probably seen it once and thought ‘ok, so I’ve seen it’, but for me it wasn’t in the ‘see again’ group.

When I think about it, for me, science fiction seems more entertaining when it is set in space in an ‘alien’ environment or the distant future. Then, you can set into place scenarios that can go beyond the realistic expectations that have to be in place when stories are set on earth.

On the related interest side of things, I have actually seen the original spaceship prop used for the filming in the Udvar Hazy air and space museum in Virginia. Picture below – please excuse my reflected stripy T-shirt (I have also posted this in the photo thread I think). An interesting fact is that the prop has all sorts of odd objects stuck on it and it can be fun to walk around the model, which is surprisingly large, and find these, things like postboxes, bicyles and even a miniature R2D2!

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 17 November 2016 - 02:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Hey, each to their own, i guess. smile.gif

Great picture but its difficult to make out as there is a reflection of somebody with a stripy shirt. hmm.bmp

Just kidding! laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 17 November 2016 - 04:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I'm mostly pretty into Spielberg's movies as well but this just didn't seem to work. I even like Jaws which is pretty much a classic as Close Encounters is. But yeah, it's not there with the 'see again' group. Sorry Steven. Still there are others I have still to see from his work. Funny enough I did enjoy The Day The Earth Stood Still (the remake anyway) but I also liked War of the Worlds both the original and the remake. And furthermore I'm more into Independence Day, Alien and Predator. I'm not saying friendly aliens can't work but not in this case. Still, it makes me wonder if I would like E.T.

Seen last night:

The Age of Adaline. A nice movie about a woman who died in a car accident and was revived when the car was struck by lightning while it ended up in the lake. Because the car was struck by lightning she revived with a magical consequence. She stopt aging. Unable to explain her condition she goes on the run from the authorities for most of her life. While she remains young her daughter eventually grows older than she does. Eventually she falls in love with Ellis who wants to introduce her to his parents. The movie was not bad but the explanation given to her condition was a little scientific for a romantic drama.

Over The Top. A forgotten Sylvester Stallone movie about an estranged father and his kid coming to get to know each other when he has to bring his son to his dying mother and participate in an armwrestling tournament.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 21 November 2016 - 07:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Cinderella. The one directed by Kenneth Branagh of course. Usually I don't like the lighter stuff but this one has such warmth and kindness, that you can't miss this one. I think when it comes to Disney I better wait on the live action remakes as long they keep the singing out. Lily James was absolutely stunning as Cinderella.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 24 November 2016 - 08:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

A while back i got the Dirty Harry collection to which i have yet to go through all of the movies. But last night i decided to watch the second movie titled, Magnum Force.
user posted image

Released back in 73, this is the second installment in the 5 part Dirty Harry collection. This time round Harry is searching for a group of vigilante who are killing notorious criminals and with a commanding officer, Lt. Briggs breathing down his neck, Harry has his work cut out for him.

Although clearly not as awesome as the first movie was, this installment still delivers the goods and Eastwood is as great as ever. A few violent scenes and a bit of nudity make you blink with surprise (According to today's standards) but this is still a pretty good cop movie that lives up to its age and reputation.

I give it 3 & a half stars.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 25 November 2016 - 04:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Not even going one by one? I hope to get those movies some day. I think Dirty Harry was really one of the first to put the basics on the bad cop/good cop genre.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 26 November 2016 - 02:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners

I just finished watching the new Ghostbusters movie and I have to say they did a hell of a lot better job of paying tribute to the original than the MacGyver reboot is doing.

I really enjoyed the movie. It had lots of references to the original but not in a "we're trying to be like the original" kind of way, nor did it make fun of the original or even copy the storyline. It was a new story with lots of the familiar elements to make it feel like Ghostbusters.

This movie shows the proper way to do a reboot.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 26 November 2016 - 05:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Last seen movie: Munich. Another one of Spielberg I didn't really like. I missed a bit of action sequences but that was not the point of course. Eric Bana and Daniel Craig in the same movie though. Can't always like everything.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
ArildElvis
Posted: 26 November 2016 - 04:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Nightmares

The new Tarzan movie is great and a fun, entertaining movie. I recommend it!!

That would sound a lot more reassuring if you weren't holding a human skull.

Only a fool is sure of anything, a wise man keeps on guessing

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 27 November 2016 - 08:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I honestly did not enjoy the new Tarzan. Found it flawed in terms of latching onto its cast and did not quite have the thrill of previous Tarzan movies. Also found that the excessive use of CGI took a lot from it as opposed to giving it any form of reality. But that just my opinion. smile.gif

We saw War Dogs.
user posted image

Starring Miles Tellar & Jonah Hill, This tells the apparent true story of Efraim Diveroli who offers old friend David Packouz a chance to make big money by becoming an international arms dealer. At first, starting small allows them to rake in riches and live the high life but soon they find themselves in over their heads after landing a $300 million deal to supply Afghan forces, a deal that puts them in business with some very shady people.

After seeing Lord of War, I felt very reluctant to watch this. Some rather enjoyed Lord of War but it wasnt my cup of tea. However War Dogs rather surprised me. The dynamic of its cast just worked and the story knew when to be funny and when to be serious. Great soundtrack too. I give it a surprising 4 stars!

We also got around to watching Sully.
user posted image

Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Tom Hanks as Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, this tells the true story of the title character who managed to successfully land a plane in the Hudson River after it struck a flock of geese, destroying both engines. Miraculously, all of the 155 passengers and crew survive the harrowing ordeal, and Sullenberger becomes a national hero in the eyes of the public and the media. Despite the accolades, the famed pilot now faces an investigation that threatens to end his career and reputation.

Direction is clearly based on the actual event and you get the feeling you cannot stray away from it. Although there is enough that Eastwood does to keep it interesting, I still would have enjoyed a little more. Cast are still great and Sully is quite an inspiring man. 3 stars from me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 November 2016 - 03:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Gone With The Wind. One of the best films I have ever seen. It stood out the test of time. It does not feel dated at all. The explosions and special effects are still as cool now as they were then. There's lots of interesting trivia on imdb. I'm real glad I finally saw this movie and I finally understand why as it was said by actor James Read on how North and South is like Gone With The Wind for the 1980's. The way on how I see it is and as I read on the imdb forums is on how Ashton Main actually is Scarlett O' Hara. She acts like her and she even talks like her. She has many suitors and flirts but the difference is that Scarlett is not as villainous as Ashton is but rather very selfish.

On a side note: actress Olivia de Havilland is the only survivor of everyone who worked on Gone With The Wind. She celebrated her 100th birthday this year. She also appears in two episodes of North and South as Mrs. Neal the head nurse of a hospital where Virgilia (Kirstie Alley) worked. I was actually fairly surprised that she was still alive. Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable died so long ago. Leigh died from tuberculosis at the age of 53 while Gable died of a blood cloth after a heart attack at the age of 59.

I recommend to see this movie for everyone, young and old. It's a very long sit though with 233 minutes worth of film.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 9 December 2016 - 08:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Last seen movies:

Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Backdraft, Requiem For A Dream, The Breakfast Club, Panic Room and Sixteen Candles.

On Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal.

Well it's quite obvious where Stephen Downing and John Sheppard got their inspiration from for Deadly Dreams and Lesson In Evil.

Marvellous acted by Anthony Hopkins though. That dude is scary! Also both Jodie Foster and Julianne Moore delivered a great Clarice Starling. Hannibal besides has one of the most disturbing scenes I have ever seen in a movie. So be warned if you ever watch this movie.

Backdraft.

One of those movies that could've been a great MacGyver movie. Or maybe just The Prometheus Syndrome in movie version. Directed by Ron Howard (his earlier work is definitely better) A movie on the fire department that has to battle a couple of mysterious fires with an interesting cast: Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Robert De Niro, Donald Sutherland, J.T. Walsh, Scott Glenn, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Rebecca De Mornay. Russell and Baldwin play brothers with their own problems in the department while a mysterious arsonist is causing several fires with each a certain victim. After Baldwin leaves the department and goes to work for De Niro both of them are trying to figure out who to arsonist is.

Requiem For A Dream.

Seen it after a hard day and I can tell you, I think this is one, if not the most controversial American movie I have ever seen. It's downright depressing and haunting with one clear message: stay away from drugs. Well acted by Jared Leto, Jennifer Connolly, Marlon Wayans and Ellen Burstyn. Despite it's a very depressing movie it's also one of great importance and they should show this movie in schools but that also goes for the next one.

The Breakfast Club.

I think we all know John Hughes' work. Pretty much the only one who tackled the teen genre back than. There are always the high school comedy's on teens trying to lose their virginity like American Pie but they're not like the ones of the 80's. I think especially The Breakfast Club is the exception from the 80's. It shows that despite our looks and friends we're not so different after all. We're going all the same problems with just deal with them differently. I think what sets this movie apart from all the others is they dare to speak about what's bothering them. I think more movies like that should be made. There's always The Perks Of Being A Wallflower which was supposed to be Hughes' big comeback movie but it never got of the ground when he was working on it and unfortunately he passed away now. I really like the moment in which the group explains why they got the detention and as I just found out the whole scene or at least the majority of it was ad-libbed. Apparently every ten years a sequel was supposed to take place but Hughes' relationships with Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson were strained.

Panic Room.

Another great thriller from David Fincher starring Jodie Foster, a young Kristen Steward, Jared Leto and Forrest Whitaker. Foster plays a mom in a divorce who moves into a big house with her daughter that has a panic room. A room the inhabitants could seek their refuge in, in case of danger. The panic room is a small room behind a steel door and has an advanced security system that makes it possible to monitor the entire house. On their first night three burglars are planning to rob their house and Foster and Steward run into the panic room, locking themselves up there and try to notify the authorities. In order to do so they have to improvise. While on the outside the three burglars have to improvise their way in. Most ideas come from Whitaker who plays a security expert who installed the panic room in the first place. They are after something that is hidden in the panic room. Meanwhile Steward's health is taking a turn for the worse.

Yet again this could've been a great MacGyver thriller. I really think it would've been his genre as well. The movie has their battles of wits and Foster and Steward have to come up with sollutions for their situations with whatever they can find in the boxes stocked in the room. And Whitaker has to look for stuff laying around in order to get in and meanwhile not to wake-up the neighbors. Most of this movie is set during the night.

And last: Sixteen Candles.

Also from the director of the Breakfast Club and his debut I might add also starring Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall plus a young John and Joan Cusack and one Soprano. Samantha (Ringwald) has her sweet sixteen on the day before her sister's wedding but because of the wedding everyone seem to have forgotten. Disappointed she goes to school where the situation is the exact same thing. No one remembers her birthday and she happens to be in love with a senior boy who has his own relationship problems. Meanwhile she's being stalked by a freshman (Hall) who think he can have her. Though a little lighter than Breakfast Club, the movie has a certain charm and I think nothing beats a Friday night in the lives of teens but I think The Breakfast Club was indeed better. Still it is a nice movie to see.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 10 December 2016 - 06:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I have just seen The Fly II. Nowhere near as good as Cronenbergs movie and a bit of a B-movie sequel as well with a few nice gory if not a little cheap deaths. It's far behind on The Fly and only John Getz from the original movie returns.

Brundle's son is born after less than 9 months of pregnancy and he gets taken in by the Bartok company. The company Seth was working for in the first movie. Veronica dies while giving birth. Due to the Fly genes, Martin Brundle grows much faster than a normal human being and reaches adulthood at the age of 5. At Bartok's company all sorts of experiments takes place and Martin slowly figures out why the company needs him and tries to figure out how to stop them and become normal.

This is pretty much the story in a nutshell. If you want a reason to watch this film, I can only give you one. I have never ever seen so many Mac-actors in one film as in this one. Most of them only have seconds of screentime but I had a lot of 'huh?' moments during the film. These are the actors you might wanna look out for.

Frank C. Turner. Milt Bozer/News. (Halloween Knights, MacGyver's Women)
Gary Chalk. Sweeney/Grey (Deadly Dreams, The Ten Percent Solution)

They actually play important roles.

Rob Roy. The DXS Agent/the cop (Early Retirement and The Challenge)
William Taylor. Farber/the captain (The Spoilers and Deadly Dreams)
Jerry Wasserman. Nick Milani/Mr. Maddox. (The Gun, Live and Learn, Collision Course)
Allan Lysell. Wrightman/The Sheriff (The Outsiders, Cease Fire, Bitter Harvest)
Bruce Harwood. Yes, even Willis. (Blow Out, The Wall, The Wasteland, Trail of Tears, Hind-Sight)
Robert Metcalf. Chas (Fraternity of Thieves)

Those are 8 actors. I thought Needful Things had many Mac-actors. Maybe this has to do with the fact the movie was shot in Vancouver? tongue.gif
Another nice fact: Martin Brundle's girl, Beth Logan lives on a houseboat. biggrin.gif

All it needed was a SAK and ductape and perhaps a match. Anton Bartok could've been Pete and MacGyver could've taken the role of Brundle. Seriously MacGyver would do good in the horror/thriller genre. nasty.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 11 December 2016 - 08:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Finally got around to watching the Magnificent Seven (2016 version)

Rose Creek, a town under the savage control of Bartholomew Bogue is pushed to its edge when one of the townspeople desperately recruits 7 gunners known for their reputation as bounty hunters, outlaws and hired guns.

Preparing the town for a showdown, they com to the realization that they are fighting for more than just money.

It's a classic tale of the old West. And many will probably tell you that it does not come close to the original. But for a new generation, it might tickle their appetites. The movie's charming new cast play their roles well and more so surprisingly from the likes of Denzel Washington who plays a notorious bounty hunter to the T. Some nice reunions with Washington & Hawke sharing the screen again as well as Pratt & D'Onofrio.

Still, as fun as it was at times, the movie slows its pace unnecessarily making an imbalance to the fast paced reputation its trying to build.

Overall, not bad and a worthy watch. I give it 3 & a half stars.

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 12 December 2016 - 03:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 25 December 2016 - 05:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I just saw one of the most heartbreaking movies I have ever seen in my life. It would've been a great movie for RDA to do since it was about dogs but the other Richard got the part. I saw Hachiko: A Dog's Story. It's one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. To be honest, I didn't keep it dry.

For those who don't know the story, Hachiko was an Akita dog who lived during the 1920's and 1930's in Japan. A professor bought the dog in 1924 for the time they were together, Hachiko went along with his owner to the station where the owner would take the train to the university and would wait there every day to pick him up when he returns. One day in 1925 the professor didn't return. He died of a cerebral hemorrhage. For the following nine years, Hachiko kept returning to the station waiting for his owner to return. Initial reactions weren't friendly but in the end peoples started to care for the dog while he kept waiting day in day out for someone who would never come. Hachiko eventually died in 1935 at the age of 11. His example of loyalty impressed the Japanese people and uses it to teach kids and others about loyalty.

In 1987, a Japanese movie was made and remade in 2009 in America starring Richard Gere as the dog's owner. Others might recognise Jason Alexander as the station worker. It's a real toucher and I strongly recommend the movie. Just make sure to keep your tissues nearby.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 30 December 2016 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

The only movie I got around to seeing was Money Monster starring George Clooney & Julia Roberts & directed by Jodie Foster. TV host Lee Gates faces a nail biting situation when an armed man hijacks the show threatening execution to the host should they go off air or attempt to sabotage his plans. But their assailant seems to have a viable reason for showing presence and the plot is deeper than anyone expected. This was surprisingly good and got the feel of a Die Hard movie without the guns and expositions but made for a great watch. Well deserved 4 stars from me!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 30 December 2016 - 05:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Passengers was good. Could've been a great Mac-adventure.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 7 January 2017 - 05:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Girl on the Train was my recent watch. Starring Emily Blunt playing Rachel Watson, a woman who catches daily glimpses of a seemingly perfect couple from the window of her train. One day, Watson witnesses something shocking unfold in the backyard of the strangers' home. Rachel tells the authorities what she thinks she saw after learning that The girl she sees is now missing and feared dead. Unable to trust her own memory due to her drinking problem, the troubled woman begins her own investigation, while police suspect that Rachel is involved.

Blunt is a great actress and plays a very unlikeable character but the plot of this movie has some clever twists which will keep you watching. The ending was a little disappointing for me but it made for a good watch. 3 stars from me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 13 January 2017 - 01:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

user posted image

Inferno was our next big watch. This is the third installment (Movie installment) in the Robert Langdon series with the first 2 being the Da Vinci Code & Angels & Demons. Deciding to skip the third book titled the Lost Symbol and going straight to Inferno were the filmmakers choice as they found the story to be stronger.

Italy, and professor of symbology Robert Langdon is awakened in a hospital bed with no memory of the last few days or how he ended up there. Soon enough however he realizes that he is the target of some dangerous people and after teaming up with Sienna Brooks, his doctor, both set on a quest to uncover a mystery regarding the Dante's Inferno masterpieces...

Its another Robert Langdon adventure and if you like this sort of thing, there is a few mysteries to have. But i honestly feel that this series has run dry. Although i found Da Vinci Code to be interesting, Angels & Demons suffered from the dramatic mainly because it was originally the first book and Da Vinci being the bigger bite of a second book. This movie is somewhat equal to Angels and Demons but still lacks a certain je nes sais quoi.

I give it 2 & a half stars.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 January 2017 - 08:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I never had anything with the Robert Langdon movies. Seen them all and each time I came with the same conclusion: not that great. Strangely enough though about a week or so ago I watched the Da Vinci Code and found it rather enjoyable, more than I did when I saw at the theatre. But I seem to like Ron Howards earlier films more than his later ones.

I do think Robert Langdon is a great character though. Seems like he would be great friends with Mac though. Maybe they should've looked to the Lost Treasure of Atlantis together. Maybe Mac-Langdon crossover fanfic would be nice. While Mac simply goes on adventure like Indy, Langdon is mostly already involved in some big conspiracy plot he didn't even know about and he's immediately neck-deep in it. I think they would get along great. Perhaps Langdon is one of those rare characters today, he would really get along with.

OT: I got into Hellraiser mood. Perfect kind of horrorfilms for cold winter nights. Seen the first three movies past few days. And even though it has been the least succesful horror series (well, what did you expect if the last five and soon to be six movies has been released direct-to-dvd?) in the box office, I really think Pinhead is the most evil of them all. He's not just a serial killer like Freddy or Jason or Michael Myers. He's different. He talks, he's intelligent, he does what he has to do and knows why. He's a demon that once was a human being. I think one of the coolest things is, you can reason and bargain with him. Which is I think an unusual feature for a villain. Yes, he's cold, ruthless and cruel and he will show you everything there is to see in Hell with a lot of emotional and physical torture. He will come if you solve the puzzlebox and you will likely become one of them: a cenobite. He comes from the darkest areas in Hell for you. Pinhead is actually a demon and I think that's the real core of the genre. How older the evil, how more hardcore the genre can be. He has now a tenth movie coming called Hellraiser: Judgement. For the second time Doug Bradley has declined the role, now but with good reason though since they want him in a non-disclosure contract and I think he wants something to say about the contents of the scripts. He played Pinhead in the first 8 movies. In Revelation it has been taken over and there will be another actor playing it for the tenth.

Apparently Clive Barker (the author of the Hellbound Heart and director of the first movie) has had plans to finish off Pinhead and to make a final movie around him. He had written a sequel that was really going to off Pinhead. The book has been released about two years ago but a new major film hasn't come out so far. Now, with the tenth direct-to-dvd release, it's probably going to be a while. And I'm not sure he will do it without Doug Bradley.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 January 2017 - 09:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

user posted image
Last night i decided to put in Unforgiven. This was only the second time i saw it since it original release back in 1992.

This was Clint Eastwood's return to the old west after 2 decades and tells the story of Delilah, a prostitute in the town of Big Whiskey who is left difigured after 2 cowboys ride through the town. But after the 2 get off with just a warning from the local town sheriff played by Gene Hackman, the brothel workers post a reward for their murder.

This leaves the local sheriff in a very displeased state and starts to hunt down all vigilantes that enter. 2 such vigilantes responding to the reward are William Munny (Eastwood) and his old friend Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman). But William has his own demons to deal with judging from his troubled past and morality starts to play on his tender side.

This is to most who have seen it, a classic. Its the return of the old west in the way that Eastwood defined it. But as typical as Eastwood directed movies go, the story tends to veer off its path at times creating unnecessary plots that need not be present. This and the unpredictability of his movies, just to be different can make the story turn in a way you as an audience member might not like. I am one of those. And for that i give this movie 3 stars. It is a well made film. And there is some solid performances including that of Hackman. But call me old fashioned for wanting a little more "Oomph" in the movie. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 22 January 2017 - 08:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Twas a triple whammy weekend with 3 movies! biggrin.gif
user posted image
Ah! The much hated, much criticized Waterworld. Even when it was released back in the 90's i still thought it was fun.

Set in a future where all the polar ice caps have melted and water has consumed all of the planet leaving dry land to be a myth, our story takes place on the floating raft sailed by the mysterious "mariner" who arrives at a floating port where survivors sell anything they can find and trading "dirt"is a commodity. But after a misunderstanding, the inhabitants throw our hero into a caged prison. That is of course until Smokers (A group of Mad Max-esque villains) raid the compound leaving opportunity for him to escape and save a woman and her child. A child that holds a valuable secret..

Waterworld is any way you look at it is Mad Max on the water. But it is good fun and the visual effects and sets are amazing. A movie is only really considered a flop if it doesn't make its money back and Waterworld made its money. It didn't make much more than that though. It has now become a cult classic to a lot of people and if you have never seen it, it is definitely worth the time. Waterworld has actually become one of my favorite movies to watch and really enjoyed giving it another go. I give it 4 half stars.

Saturday we were lucky enough get to see Hacksaw Ridge.
user posted image
Directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield in what could possibly be his greatest role comes the story of Desmond Doss, a soldier who signs up to be part of the war and to train as a medic but his beliefs place him in the line of fire with his superiors as Doss refuses to pick up a weapon to fight or kill anyone.

Despite vigorous humiliation, Doss stands tall and goes off with his platoon to Okinawa, Japan to do his part in the war ultimately saving an extraordinary 75 men and without firing a single shot. He was the only American soldier in WWII to fight on the front lines without a weapon. An inspiring tale which brings out the MacGyver in him.

Despite Gibsons recent past, this was a powerful movie with a lot of heart. There is quite a brutal battle scene that might put some of the squeamish off, but overall Hacksaw Ridge is undoubtedly one of the best movies of the year. And if you have yet to see it, make a plan! 4 & a half stars from me!

Lastly, we got to see La La Land!
user posted image
Telling the story of Sebastian (A jazz musician) and Mia (A struggling actress) who are drawn together by their desire of following their dreams. But despite their attraction toward each other, success has other plans for them when they are faced with decisions on how they wish to steer their lives.

La La Land has some pretty amazing dance sequences including the opening and its stars are great. The music is fun and groovy and keeps the audience tapping their toes for more. There are some unexpected scenes that make this movie play as a romantic drama, then switches to a musical and then a comedy. It's not perfect but it an interesting experience and for that ill give it 4 stars.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 23 January 2017 - 04:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I remember what a disaster Waterworld was. You'd expect better from the star and director of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Hacksaw Ridge is indeed great. Maybe a little rehash of Pearl Harbor in a way, you know: boy wants to go into the army, falls in a love with a nurse, boy has to go to war, will they ever see each other again, boy saves the day and goes home. But indeed the story is indeed interesting and it sort of confirms what I wondered when I wrote my World War II fanfic: When The World Changes. Because in that story I had Mac firing a gun during the war at one point. But as with Hacksaw Ridge it shows that you could go into the war without firing a gun.

I think Gibson may have fell a few steps of the ladder but he still can add a lot of brutality and violence in the war scenes. And I hope he slowly comes back now. But I'm sure he'll take it easy and carefully will look for projects. One movie at the time.

Meanwhile I've finished watching all Hellraisers. Inferno and Deader were just plain bad but I liked Kari Wuhrer in Deader but the scripts was just empty. I liked the touch of not knowing what's real and what's not in part 5-8 but it was just poorly executed most of the time. Part 8: Hellworld I enjoyed most of all for three reasons: Lance Henriksen, Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha, Vikings) and Henry Cavill (Man of Steel). For Winnick and Cavill I think it makes a very interesting story on where you sometimes begin your career. Hellworld is such a B-movie, a guilty pleasure you would like as a teen and than when you see it again, you go like: I know him or her. I really like this 'huh?' moments in films. And than like Cavill you can make that jump into the big blockbusters like Man of Steel.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 23 January 2017 - 09:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I remember Waterworld... saw it once in the theater. XD

I finally watched The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies. Went on a bit of a nostalgia kick and watched all three Lord of the Rings movies. I forgot how much fun those movies are. lol

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 23 January 2017 - 12:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Lord of the Rings is definitely superior compared with The Hobbit. The Hobbit was a bit too much been there done that. It's going to take one hell of an effort to top the The Return of the King and even Lord of the Rings as a trilogy. It's still unbeated but The Hobbit was maybe not necessary to push it to three hours.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 23 January 2017 - 11:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Would you believe that i have still not seen Battle of the Five Armies? biggrin.gif

I actually want to get the extended editions of all the movies and do one big binge watch. Starting off with the Hobbit and ending with Lord of the Rings.

Pity we will probably never see the Silmarillion

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 24 January 2017 - 03:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well I have the extended editions. The Desolation of Smaugh really felt lengthy. I don't even know what was added but, I don't really care. The Hobbit tried to live up to the success of Lord of the Rings but couldn't. I think it's best to leave Middle-Earth alone now. The Silmarillion would perhaps only work if it's not done on such a scale as LOTR. I mean we've seen it now. Maybe as a sober trilogy with each movie clocking off at two hours only, it might work. But they shouldn't try to set the bar as high as Lord of the Rings because it's been done before.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 24 January 2017 - 04:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

There will never be a Silmarillion movie. The rights are owned by Tolkiens son. Even if there was, we live in a world where you have to top the one before. Chances are, it will be topped.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (38) « First ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll