Home      Macipedia      Characters      Episodes      Comic Book      Media Center      Calendar      Members      Rules      Help      Store      F.A.Q.      Search

Episode 018 – Ugly Duckling
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this episode?
Poor [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Below Average [ 2 ]  [6.67%]
OK [ 4 ]  [13.33%]
Good [ 14 ]  [46.67%]
Excellent [ 10 ]  [33.33%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Rockatteer
Posted on 16 October 2010 - 11:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

I just realized that in this episode we heard MacGyver's teacher say that MacGyver's a bona-fide genius, which got me back to thinking about MacGyvers IQ level again but I can't find the original topic we had about it sad.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 26 December 2010 - 09:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I liked this Episode it reminded of myself not being pretty in school and being picked because I know some what more then some people, and because I didn't wear what everyone else was wearing. I would of loved to see her come back for another episode to see where she is now.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Rockatteer
Posted on 26 December 2010 - 01:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I still love the line "There is a password right?" laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 26 December 2010 - 01:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I liked it when he said "Friendship is not something I take lightly. Too hard to come by."
And it's the truth, friends come and go but the ones who stays are the true friends.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Rockatteer
Posted on 26 December 2010 - 07:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah that line was always one of those stand out "life lesson" type lines I took from the show.

I think it kinda tied in with something my brother had said to me a few years earlier about peer-pressure and stuff. He said friends that try to make you do stuff you don't want to do aren't really your friends because real friends accept you for what and who you are and like you for it, they don't try to make you do something you don't want to do.

And when I heard MacGyver say that I thought of my brothers line and put them together to realize that MacGyver was right on the money.. friends.. real friends... are too hard to come by - don't take it lightly.

PM                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 20 April 2012 - 01:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

I voted good. This also my favorite episode and this was the first episode what I saw first time from that whole series. So, that triangulation trick is very cool. And one time I was testing my radiophones and the both phones were in ''on'' position. The one phone was on table and the other was on my hand, so then something happened and the phone catch some wrong signal and I heard one man was talking something. And then later I remembered that same thing was in MacGyver, but they using radios and the loops on antenna. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 12 August 2012 - 12:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

I find it a little difficult to rate this episode... don't know why, really. Maybe it's because I don't really know what to think of Darcy Marta, I can't really decide whether I like her or not. hmm.bmp

It's always great though, to see Mac interact with kids. Some of you have already debated the Hollywood cliché that a woman just needs to put on a bit of makeup and turn into a beautiful swan. But in Kate's case, I think it was due to Mac's encouragement that her self confidence got a boost, which made her come out of her shell and start interacting more with people. That she did put on a bit of makeup was just a part of the process, I think.

Some of the MacGyverisms (and Kate-isms...) in this episode felt way to implausible, though. I'm not a scientist or an engineer, but just to mention one thing, I found it rather... hilarious when she caused the elevator circuits to short out just by tapping into the computer system. And in my world, "close all circuits" would give an opposite effect, shouldn't it be "open all circuits?" hmm.bmp

OK, I'll give it a "Good" rating anyway. tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 12 August 2012 - 01:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Negotiator

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 12 August 2012 - 12:56 AM)
I found it rather... hilarious when she caused the elevator circuits to short out just by tapping into the computer system. And in my world, "close all circuits" would give an opposite effect, shouldn't it be "open all circuits?" hmm.bmp

Unless "close" is a command to shut down the circuits rather than a literal action to be taken upon the circuit as in "close down" all elevator circuits.

It makes sense to me that a building management system would have terms which make sense to the operators rather than reflect the physical action they might initiate because the whole idea is to make the process simple so you don't need to understand how every part of the building works or how electrical circuits work, you just type close all circuits and they all shut down just like your computer does when you close it down.

i like this ep. because of the MacGyverisms. i didn't really get the ugly duckling thing since the girl is not uglye ,imo.

um... the whole theme of the ugly duckling story isn't that the duck was ugly, it was different from the others and therefore perceived itself to be ugly. Which is exactly what Kate was doing. I think the makeup at the end was a visual way of showing that she had blossomed into her own swan, TV being a visual medium and all.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 22 July 2013 - 06:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 1984 Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Hadn't seen this one in a while, but watched again today.
As a story it's OK, it has that Season 1 quality of still finding it's feet a bit.

What struck me were the similarities between Mac and Kate - both with really dark eyes and similar haircuts and the same way of getting proper excited when an idea strikes, even if everyone else hasn't quite caught up yet. Not sure if it was deliberate, but it works well - almost as if Kate is an echo of how Mac might have been at that age.

Following RDA having a broken wrist during the last few episodes, it's also noticeable how careful he's being with it here and how much stuff he's still doing left handed. You'd probably not notice if you hadn't watched the episodes in order though.

The ending was a bit cliched, what with the party and the make-up and all, but I agree with others here who say that it's just a visual confirmation that Kate is coming out of her shell. If they were filming this story today she'd have found the cool geek crowd to hang out with, but it didn't exist in popular television culture at the time and so I think they're just showing that she's acquired some cool-credentials of her own cool.jpg

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll  

FIND MORE MACGYVER GEAR IN OUR STORE

Contact          Privacy          Copyright © 2014 MacGyver Online