SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

Hi,
I'm sure most of you on here are aware of the (to my knowledge anyway) only official MacGyver novel- "MacGyver on Ice" by Mark Daniel.
As someone who has a copy of this book and has read through it 2 or 3 times- I can tell you it's definitely worth taking a look if you can find it.
I've been scouting around some and found something that I thought might be of interest.
As far as buying the book, the best place I'd suggest is www.abebooks.com (that's where I finally found a copy) or Ebay- particularly the UK version or other European versions.
BUT- if you can't find it there, maybe you could borrow it from your library!!!
I've done some checking and I've found out that at least 3 libraries in the world own a copy of this book!

Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland
http://opac.lib.tcd.ie:8004/WebZ/GeacQUERY...45588-256527737

The British Library in England
http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/A87L875T5RBE8ERSU...0001&format=999

And
University of Buffalo in New York, USA
http://p8991-bison.buffalo.edu.gate.lib.bu...0002&format=999

If you don't happen to actually live near or attend any of these schools or libraries, here's what you might be able to do. Go to your public or school library and request an inter-library loan for "MacGyver on Ice" by Mark Daniel. This is something most libraries do the world over and it is possible to get items sent from all over 50 states in the USA and across the world. I can't guarantee anything of course, but it might be worth checking it out for anyone who's really really been wanting to read this book!
Hope that's helpful and good luck with the book hunt! duct.gif sak.gif

PM                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 15 January 2007 - 08:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Oooo, that would be so cool (no pun intended tongue.gif wink.gif ) to read! I know that there are also several Stargate novels, and I've seen novels for The X-Files and 24, too. I wish they had more MacGyver ones, though. I guess that's why there's always room for fanfic though, right? wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 23 January 2007 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Anyone have any luck with this? Just curious...

PM                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 23 January 2007 - 02:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

No luck yet, but I've only looked on Ebay and Amazon. Must dig deeper...

cool.jpg

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted: 23 January 2007 - 05:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

Has anyone tried the big chain stores... Barnes and Noble etc???

dry.gif jeep.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 24 January 2007 - 01:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I've asked several big bookstores here in the Benelux, none of them have ever heard of the book. Some don't even know the writer.

MacGyver
Posted: 29 January 2007 - 09:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Well, if one were wanting to say, purchase this book- one might want to look here- http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MacGyver-on-Ice-by-...1QQcmdZViewItem

(I hope this doesn't start a bidding war! biggrin.gif )
sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 4 February 2007 - 01:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

I won it! Thank you MacGyver, for this link! I hope I did not outbid someone from MOL? blush.gif

Can't wait to read it, though I would've thought that it would be a little thicker.

Now I really wonder what shipping from Australia to Germany will cost. Hopefully not more than the whole book!

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 5 February 2007 - 05:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites

QUOTE (Astra @ 4 February 2007 - 04:48 AM)
I won it! Thank you MacGyver, for this link! I hope I did not outbid someone from MOL? blush.gif

Can't wait to read it, though I would've thought that it would be a little thicker.

Now I really wonder what shipping from Australia to Germany will cost. Hopefully not more than the whole book!

Congratulations! Be sure to give us a review of the book once you've read it. cool.jpg

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 5 February 2007 - 12:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

I certainly will! And I paid today hence it should arrive soon (is coming by airmail)

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
tandt14
Posted: 5 February 2007 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

I sooo wanted that book but it went a little too high for me--shipping to the US would have been $10. Enjoy! Hopefully, I'll find my affordable copy one day. unsure.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 6 February 2007 - 12:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (tandt14 @ 6 February 2007 - 01:39 AM)
I sooo wanted that book but it went a little too high for me

Sorry!

--shipping to the US would have been $10.

Yeah, you're a little nearer to Australia than me. Though it doesn't look so when looking at a world map, then US is far left and Australia is far right and as a child I always had trouble to imagine that Japan is actually right next to America smile.gif

I pay around $ 14

Enjoy!  Hopefully, I'll find my affordable copy one day. unsure.gif

I still have my announce at booklooker, if they find anything I'll let you know!

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 6 February 2007 - 12:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

as a child I always had trouble to imagine that Japan is actually right next to America

curl the map into a circle laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tandt14
Posted: 6 February 2007 - 04:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

Small world isn't it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 6 February 2007 - 08:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

depends on the size of the map laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tandt14
Posted: 7 February 2007 - 03:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

Ha!! harhar.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 02:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

Guess what? Got my book today, and just read it in one go. Unfortunately, there only were 126 pages overall. I wished it was thicker.

So here is the promised review:

Yeah, there were a few things where I thought, no that description does not fit with the MacGyver I know. MacGyver (the one from MOL smile.gif ) is right when he says that the author of course should have used ice-hockey instead of baseball for Mac's favourite sports. And to imagine Mac knitting is rather funny also, but it had an important part in this story at the end, and since MacGyver (the real one smile.gif ) also was seen painting in one episode (which I somehow doubt him doing either - making music, yes, but painting? Come on! He never would be able to stand or sit still long enough to finish a picture!) so it might be.

At first I also was a little taken aback that Mac should now live in solitude in Alaska, I thought he always wants to help others and make a difference and this is what him drives and will do so till the last minute of his life and he never would live like this on his own like an eremite I thought. But as the story carried on it was very well explained why he chose to do so and I could better understand his reasons for it.

But those very little things aside, I enjoyed this book very much. It was very well written, a lot of funny dialogues, and the author definitely did his homework. You learn a lot about surviving in cold (and I mean very cold!) conditions, and you also learn that a few things you thought you knew about it are wrong. There is some guy acting very foolishly, doing all the things wrong (and of course thinking he is smarter than Mac) and not believing Mac that he (of course - he's Mac after all!) knows better, but at the end the guy realizes that he was wrong all the time.

And of course there is also a woman in this story, and not only so that Mac can shine as a hero but she has some brains herself. The two of them work very well together at this mission, and I liked that very much.

The mission itself was about bacteria, some old general wanted to wipe out the Russians and send them a missile with some very bad bacteria. So the author also did his homework in chemistry (you have to know stuff like that very well to write a book so that it all fits together at the end - I never could do that) but it always was understandable. Usually I don't like it when you get too much boring informations but this never was the case. You just picked them up in the dialogue between MacGyver and the young lady, and it worked out very well.

Then there was a nice little twist at the end, I would have been disappointed if there wouldn't have been one. It just went too smoothly after all, there had to be some catch to it. And a very nice idea to safe the day at the end! (don't want to say too much in case someone else is lucky enough to read it. Don't want to spoil the fun). Let's just say that a small little running-gag that carried on through the whole story suddenly got very important. I like it very much when loose ends are tighten up!

Of course Pete also has a part in this story, he tries to convince Mac to come back from his solitary (made for a few nice scenes between the two of them and I hope I don't say too much when I tell you that of course he succeded at the end, which I was very happy about).

The only thing I somehow missed in this story was a little whumping. It was the woman that had to walk on frozen feets instead of Mac. The only Mac-whumping I got were some really bad nightmares (and the story behind the reasons for him moving up to Alaska) so this layer always was present through the story and gave it some deepness.

All in all, a very enjoyable read (otherwise I would not have written that much, you always can see from the length of my feedbacks how much I liked a story) and the only thing I regret that it was the only novel ever. I would have liked to read more stories by the author.

So, if anyone out there has the chance to get a grip on this book - do it. You won't regret it.

Are there more (except MacGyver and me) that have read this book already and want to say something about it?

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 02:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Baseball seems more like O' Neills kinda thing, but knitting? ohmy.gif Drawing is more Mac's thing as was proven in The Negotiator. Knitting? My grandmother used to knit. The Lacey Sisters are supposed to knit.

I can live with the fact that MacGyver would live in solitude somewhere in his life. Also with the fact that it's in Alaska. But it just seems a little far-fetched. Living far away from civilisation in Harry's cabin in Minnesota, seems more reasonable.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 02:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 10 February 2007 - 11:54 PM)
Baseball seems more like O' Neills kinda thing, but knitting?  ohmy.gif Drawing is more Mac's thing as was proven in The Negotiator.

Still doesn't mean that I have to be convinced about this or like it. Don't know, I just thought it was odd for him doing painting/drawing. I liked the music-making better. To me somehow it was as if they wanted to show us in this episode that he is multitalented in everything. Nobody can do everything. As I said, he never could stand or sit still long enough for it smile.gif Same obviosly applies to knitting smile.gif

Knitting? My grandmother used to knit. The Lacey Sisters are supposed to knit.

Yeah, well, but he had a reason. As it was explained, he made himself a few sweaters, and he surely would need them being in Alaska. And since this whole living seemed to be about making everything himself (hunting food etc.) and not rely onto something from the "real world" so he had no real choice actually.

And I even can understand the other reason, that it makes you calm and takes your brain off of other, not so pleasant thoughts. Hard to think about blown up missions when you have to count the stitches smile.gif

I can live with the fact that MacGyver would live in solitude somewhere in his life. Also with the fact that it's in Alaska. But it just seems a little far-fetched. Living far away from civilisation in Harry's cabin in Minnesota, seems more reasonable.

Yeah, that's what I thought also. Would have liked the cabin in Minnesota much more. These were the little things were I somehow realized that it was no fanfiction that was written by a fan that knows everything about MacGyver but a book that was written by a professional author who maybe hadn't seen much of the series and only knew what he knew from reading about it. We'll never know, but it's the same with the Stargate-novels. You can clearly see who knows the characters very well and who not.

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 03:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Keep in mind that the book's publication date is 1986, which likely means that the author of "MacGyver on Ice" (Mark Daniel) probably had only seen the first season of MacGyver. And you might notice in the book that MacGyver seems to be a bit more brash and more in line with his 1st. Season personality (which I think changed some over the years.) Yeah, there are some things that may not seem too likely- but for the most part it's a fun, enjoyable story and the best thing is it's chock-filled with MacGyverisms!
If anyone wants to check out my review of the book, (along with a list of MacGyverisms and some cool quotes) you can see it at http://MacGyver.250free.com/bookreview.htm and http://MacGyver.250free.com/bookmacs.htm

I would agree with Astra- it's definitely worth reading and a great collectible for us hardcore MacGyver fans! biggrin.gif sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 03:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hey- here's a brief review of "MacGyver on Ice" from a magazine called "Books for Keeps". Interesting.

http://www.booksforkeeps.co.uk/issues/47/3149

PM                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 03:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyver @ 11 February 2007 - 12:50 AM)
Keep in mind that the book's publication date is 1986, which likely means that the author of "MacGyver on Ice" (Mark Daniel) probably had only seen the first season of MacGyver.  And you might notice in the book that MacGyver seems to be a bit more brash and more in line with his 1st. Season personality (which I think changed some over the years.)

Yeah, sorry, you're right of course. I did not want to say bad things about it actually. It was a very complex story, everything worked out well, no gaping plot-holes at all and, as you said, lots of MacGyverisms and a very thrilling showdown at the end.

QUOTE (MacGyver @ 11 February 2007 - 12:54 AM)
Hey- here's a brief review of "MacGyver on Ice" from a magazine called "Books for Keeps". Interesting.

http://www.booksforkeeps.co.uk/issues/47/3149

laugh.gif

MacGyver, the spy who knits,

laugh.gif

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
tandt14
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 04:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

I'm so jealous. tongue.gif The book sounds great! Now I HAVE to get my own copy! Thank you for the review!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 10 February 2007 - 04:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Astra)
Don't know, I just thought it was odd for him doing painting/drawing. I liked the music-making better. To me somehow it was as if they wanted to show us in this episode that he is multitalented in everything. Nobody can do everything. As I said, he never could stand or sit still long enough for it smile.gif

You have to sit still to write and play music... whats the difference?

if you take into account all the times we see him lazing around sleeping on his sofa, I don't think he had a problem keeping still at all.

The idea of the art class was to convey that he's artistic, which I think fits perfectly with his nature and personality.

but... to each his own...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 11 February 2007 - 12:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 February 2007 - 01:47 AM)
You have to sit still to write and play music... whats the difference?

Okay, okay, you win smile.gif

QUOTE (tandt14 @ 11 February 2007 - 01:45 AM)
I'm so jealous.  tongue.gif  The book sounds great!  Now I HAVE to get my own copy!  Thank you for the review!

Well, if I KNEW you'd send it back to me then MAYBE I would send it to you just for reading. Maybe...

No, that's not a good idea actually since you'd have to pay the shipping costs twice and then you also could have afforded to buy it the first time. And I also fear it could get lost between here and there...

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 11 February 2007 - 01:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Keep in mind that the book's publication date is 1986, which likely means that the author of "MacGyver on Ice" (Mark Daniel) probably had only seen the first season of MacGyver. And you might notice in the book that MacGyver seems to be a bit more brash and more in line with his 1st. Season personality (which I think changed some over the years.)

Now that I didn't know. huh.gif

if you take into account all the times we see him lazing around sleeping on his sofa, I don't think he had a problem keeping still at all.

biggrin.gif

The idea of the art class was to convey that he's artistic, which I think fits perfectly with his nature and personality.

I think it is. It looks relaxing and rest giving.

If anyone wants to check out my review of the book, (along with a list of MacGyverisms and some cool quotes) you can see it at http://MacGyver.250free.com/bookreview.htm and http://MacGyver.250free.com/bookmacs.htm

Sounds cool.

No, that's not a good idea actually since you'd have to pay the shipping costs twice and then you also could have afforded to buy it the first time. And I also fear it could get lost between here and there...

Actually that's too bad. I only bought one book once John Jake's North and South, which did came in unharmed.
Hey, got any idea where we can read it online?

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 15 February 2007 - 06:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

Creating art is a great activity for high energy people like MacGyver. Painting and the creative process of art is a very focused meditative activity. Speaking from an artist's perspective, I can literally "lose time" when I am working out creative problem. I am a jewelry designer when I'm not being a corporate trainer, and the act of designing a new piece or figuring out a technical aspect of construction is a great way to release stress from my "real" job. Pushing the limits on a design and seeing a concept from mental image to physical reality is immensely rewarding.

Creating art is an act of love. If you don't love it you are not going to direct the time, energy and passion necessary to see a project to completion. MacGyver has a restless energy that he has chosen to channel into something constructive. People with an abundance of restless energy find a place to release it, the question is, will it be a constructive or destructive endeavor? MacGyver, in keeping with the nature of his character, has chosen the constructive outlet that creating art provides.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 3 April 2007 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

PM                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 3 April 2007 - 10:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

Yeah, saw that...shipping was under $4 to my zipcode, so that was reasonable...

biggrin.gif However, the bidding price is outta my league now. sad.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MEP
Posted: 3 April 2007 - 07:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacsChick @ 16 January 2007 - 01:40 AM)
Oooo, that would be so cool (no pun intended  tongue.gif  wink.gif ) to read! I know that there are also several Stargate novels, and I've seen novels for The X-Files and 24, too. I wish they had more MacGyver ones, though. I guess that's why there's always room for fanfic though, right?  wink.gif

Oh, man. I would rather buy my own copy than borrow it from a library.

The only good X-Files books out there are by Kevin Anderson. The man writes Mulder and Scully better than the guys from the show.

This post has been edited by Testgate on 4 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll