Disclaimer      

All stories in this forum are the intellectual property of the respective authors. These works may not be copied or re-presented in any way what-so-ever with out the express permission of the respective author of the work. These writings are written for the enjoyment of fans and are not intended to infringe upon any copyrights or trademarks owned by Paramount Studios, agents of, or persons authorized to act on behalf of.

Please read the Fan Fiction Rules before posting your fiction.

>> Fan Fiction Index <<

Dark Visions Part Seven, R, Conclusion
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacsChick
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 02:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

All right, guys, here's the conclusion to this story. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it, because I enjoyed writing it! biggrin.gif

Dark Visions Part Seven
Rated: R
One year later…

MacGyver sat in the middle of a grassy field near Pete’s rebuilt cabin, his knees drawn up to his chest. He listened to the birds and felt the warm summer breeze caress his hair. His appearance was no longer gaunt and pale. He had gained some weight and color returned to his skin. His scars had healed, all except the still vivid line across his wrist where he had tried to slice it open. While he looked healthier than he had during his time in the psychiatric ward and his sanity had slowly returned to him, a haunted look still darkened his eyes. As he closed them to try to relax and absorb his pleasant surroundings, nightmarish scenes of Zito’s brutal murders and torture returned to him, forcing him to gasp in terror and open his eyes to return to reality.

Shuddering slightly, remembering the spilled blood of Zito’s victims blending with his own, he hugged his knees tighter towards him seeking warmth and comfort even though the temperature outside was already balmy. Every time he closed his eyes, he was confronted with those horrific images of slaughter and torture, making it difficult to sleep. He had improved from continued sessions with Dr. Beatty, but he didn’t think anything could ever permanently erase the memories of what he had endured and barely survived. All of Zito’s victims had died in front of him in violent ways, and he had been too beaten, helpless, and terrified to help them. Their deaths almost tormented his thoughts more than reliving the excruciating, unbearable pain of his torture.

He heard a rustling behind him that caused him to jump and snap his head in the direction of the sound, completely alert, his eyes wide with fear and anticipating danger. He relaxed when he saw it was only Pete. Pete noticed this hyper-vigilant reaction from MacGyver and sighed, knowing he shouldn’t have crept up to him so unexpectedly. Dr. Beatty had warned him that he would still exhibit symptoms of post-traumatic stress. She cautioned Pete that he might be fully healed physically and functioning better mentally, but nothing would ever help him fully recover from the indescribable hell he had been through, leaving him with a permanent scar in his memories. She told him he would have to remain gentle when dealing with MacGyver for awhile. The terror in MacGyver’s eyes when he first turned in his direction broke Pete’s heart. He almost thought that MacGyver had once again reverted to his fearful state, where he only saw Pete as his torturer. Thankfully, when he saw MacGyver relax, he knew his friend was still with him.

“Sorry,” he said, sitting down near MacGyver. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“That’s all right, Pete,” MacGyver said, staring straight ahead, a pensive expression on his face.

They were silent for awhile. Pete didn’t know what to say to MacGyver. Everything he thought of seemed so superficial compared to what his best friend had been through. He wasn’t sure how to begin a relationship with him again after something so traumatic. Pete could still see the pain in MacGyver’s eyes. He heard him at night when he thrashed around and cried out during nightmares. He tried to soothe and calm him and brought him up to his restored cabin to continue to recuperate, but all his efforts to help his friend seemed minimal. At least he could console himself with the knowledge that Zito was dead and MacGyver had returned to him, even though he knew a part of his friend’s brilliant mind would always remain damaged from his experience in the hands of that madman.

“Nice day, isn’t it?” Pete asked lamely, unsure of what else to say but feeling as if he needed to say something to break the uncomfortable silence between them.

A slight smile curved the corners of MacGyver’s mouth. “Beautiful,” he said, still staring into the distance of the field. A small insect landed on his arm, tickling the hair on it. He looked down at it and gently brushed it away into the grass.

Pete looked at him. Even though he was sitting right next to MacGyver, it seemed like he was miles away, staring once again into the distance.

“Listen Mac,” he said, sighing. “I’m really sorry.”

MacGyver finally turned to face Pete, his eyes dark and intense. “For what, Pete?” He asked.

Pete felt himself shrinking away from those piercing eyes. “Well, you know…” his voice trailed away.

MacGyver stared at him, blinking slowly. “It wasn’t your fault,” he said, “It was mine.” He turned back toward the field, staring ahead again.

“What? MacGyver, how can you say that?” Pete asked.

“I thought you did this to me,” MacGyver said, looking down at the ground. “I was so convinced…I’m sorry I doubted you.”

“Mac, you weren’t in your right mind,” Pete said. “Zito conditioned you to believe that I was your torturer. There was nothing you could have done in that situation. You were powerless against it.”

“Yeah, powerless,” MacGyver said angrily, ripping out a blade of hollow grass and snapping it. “Those people still died in front of me, and I did nothing.”

“There was nothing you could do,” Pete said, noticing the edge in MacGyver’s voice.

“I could’ve been stronger,” MacGyver said, tossing the blade of grass. “I could have resisted his methods of torture.”

“Mac, don’t blame yourself,” Pete said. “You still managed to escape from him when he almost killed you. You helped us stop him from killing his final victim. He’s gone now, Mac. He can’t do anymore damage.”

MacGyver stared ahead again, and there was silence between the two men for awhile.

“I don’t know what else to do to help you through this, except be your friend,” Pete said.

MacGyver looked at him and smiled slightly. “I appreciate that, Pete. Believe me, that’s plenty,” he said. He looked away again, his smile fading quickly. “I don’t know if I’ll ever remember everything that happened to me, or if I want to. When I became aware again…it’s hard to explain. It was like awakening from a long nightmare.”

“Actually, in a way you did,” Pete said. “Zito succeeded in making you a captive to your own terrorized mind. You were locked away in it, lost to us for a very long time.”

A dark cloud overhead blotted out the sun. Soft thunder rumbled in the distance. MacGyver looked up and the sky, and then back at Pete. “You didn’t give up on me,” he said quietly.

Pete almost thought he saw tears moistening his friend’s eyes. “MacGyver, you know I never would,” he said. “I always knew you’d pull through this, even when you distrusted me.”

“I’ll never forget those people…murdered, in front of me while I was forced to watch…Pete, what use can I be now? I might be talking and functioning again, but I can’t get rid of those memories no matter how hard I try. A part of me will always be…damaged, somehow.”

“MacGyver, don’t talk about yourself like that,” Pete said. “You’re not a broken down piece of machinery—you’re my friend. Better than that, you’re still the best man I know for the job.”

“I’ve been considering resigning,” MacGyver said, staring directly at Pete.

“Don’t do that, Mac,” Pete said. “Don’t say that. If you leave, think of all the other people who might suffer if you aren’t there to help them. You might not have been able to save those people Zito murdered, but you can still help others. Don’t let Zito win, Mac. Don’t let what he did to you stop you from living your life again!”

MacGyver sniffed, and Pete thought he saw a tear slide down his cheek. “Pete,” he said, breaking down into a fit of sobbing.

Quickly, Pete held him, hugging him tightly and comforting him. It pained and shocked him to see his friend this way, especially since he was usually so strong and confident. He might have been better than he was in the hospital, but he was still weakened by the torture and the things he’d experienced. Zito may have been dead, but his influence still lingered as MacGyver’s convulsive sobs rocked through Pete’s body as he held him.

“You’re going to be all right, Mac,” Pete said. “Dr. Beatty tells me you’re progressing every day. Just don’t give up on me, all right? I won’t give up on you.”

“I know you won’t, Pete,” MacGyver said, his voice muffled from being half buried in Pete’s shoulder.

The thunder overhead grew louder, and the breeze increased until it became windy. Pete looked up at the dark, threatening storm clouds. “It’s going to rain,” he said. “We’d better go inside the cabin. Do you want some help up?”

MacGyver released himself from Pete and managed a small smile. “No, I can get up myself,” he said. “Thanks, though. I’ll be all right.”

Pete stood, and as he watched MacGyver stand and follow him towards the cabin, he knew his friend would truly be all right, in every sense of the word.

The End

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 03:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker

Terrific ending. You didn't go for quick fix, the happily ever after ending. And although Mac was a passive character for the majority of the fic, I never felt that he was left out.

And he was still in recovery, which made it all the more realistic.

Kudos on a well written peice on fanfic! biggrin.gif

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 03:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Thank you so much! biggrin.gif

Yeah, I knew it would be a gamble writing a fic where MacGyver isn't active in it, performing MacGyverisms and all that, but I think I managed to make him still be an important part of the story, helping Pete and Nikki solve the case even though he wasn't completely functioning. That's Mac for you--he can never be completely defeated! sak.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 05:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Extremely well done. One of your best efforts. I really enjoyed it, and don't for a minute doubt that you have talent for writing.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Wow! That is quite the compliment! Thank you so much, MacGyverGrrl! biggrin.gif

I do enjoy writing. I've been writing stories ever since I was five. I think it's what I was born to do, which is probably why I would like to pursue it further in school. Anyway, there will be more to come soon! I'm glad you liked it! smile.gif

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 5 July 2007 - 02:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Top class!! clapping.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
tandt14
Posted: 6 July 2007 - 10:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

Wow. What a story. Good job! I really enjoyed it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted: 11 July 2007 - 10:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

(I pressed the wrong key while I was writing my comment and it must have gone somewhere in outer virtual space)

I found your story cool, really cool, thank you!! clapping.gif

Realistic, spooky, dark-sideish, great; I always like the times when MacGyver is portrayed like a strong but vulnerable human being so this was fantastic. I could actually picture the situations described almost as if I were watching an episode.

This thought crossed my mind: will you let this background story infuse any of your future fan-fics? I guess this can be tricky...

I look forward to more!!

(PS- By the way, did any of you know that in Spanish MacGyver's name is pronounced "Mackeever"?)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 11 July 2007 - 05:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

I'm glad you enjoyed this story, Nutsy! smile.gif

You know, I thought about continuing this story as a sequel, but I'm not sure how it would work. I'm struggling a little right now with work and feeling depressed sad.gif so I don't know yet what the next story will be.

I did know that MacGyver's name was pronounced "Mackeever" in Spanish, because the "y" in Spanish is not pronounced the way it is in English (I took Spanish in high school). I think it's cute. wink.gif

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted: 12 July 2007 - 03:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Great ending to a great story, I really enjoyed it, thanks!!!!! clapping.gif

ebonaskavi
Posted: 12 July 2007 - 09:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights

So sweet...! I loved it!
You're a great writer and I look forward to reading more of your fan-fics. . . (glancing around and heading off to find more of MacsChick's writings...)

Dreams are important, otherwise sleep is just eight hours of nothing.

I call it an obstacle course. Some of the others call it MacGyverland.

Must have duct tape ... Lots of duct tape.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Nutsy
Posted: 15 July 2007 - 12:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacsChick @ 12 July 2007 - 01:59 PM)

You know, I thought about continuing this story as a sequel, but I'm not sure how it would work. I'm struggling a little right now with work and feeling depressed  sad.gif  so I don't know yet what the next story will be.

Cheer up!

I too have problems at work, mainly struggling with too much to do and being a bit of a perfectionist myself, but you will make it through, I am sure. Writing is what will probably make you forget a bad day at work so keep it going! To me, reading the great fanfics you all, guys, write is what helps me out of a bad day in the office.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyversCrush
Posted: 13 August 2007 - 07:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---

I loved it.. I can see it unfolding as it happened..

The list part reminded me of where Mac came out of the coma and with his fingers was making the sign on the medalion (spelling).

Great job...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tiger_lily
Posted: 26 January 2008 - 09:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:DOA: MacGyver, Halloween Knights

I really enjoyed this story, it was realistic and well written biggrin.gif

I liked the fact that even though he was hurt and trapped in his own mind he could help Pete and Nikki with the 'list' that's just like Mac.

Mac thinking Pete was his torturer made me feel real sorry for Pete, Poor man sad.gif

Anyway another great story!!

clapping.gif notworthy.gif

Murdoc: Peter Thornton it's been a long time
Pete: Murdoc, but your dead
Murdoc: Would you care to join me?
- Cleo Rocks

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll