Home      Macipedia      Characters      Episodes      Comic Book      Media Center      Calendar      Members      Rules      Help      Store      F.A.Q.      Search

Whats the worst MacGyverism
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Rockatteer
Posted: 8 March 2008 - 03:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Be it for, being too exaggerated, too ridiculous, too unrealistic.. what ever the reason...

Which MacGyverism do you consider to be the worst?

The one that springs immediately to my mind is the ridiculous Rosary beads in "The Road not Taken" episode.

MacGyver takes a chain of Rosary beads, lays them on a log in a swelled pattern and suddenly they all focus a beam of light in the same spot. dry.gif

It's not even physically possible to get beads to do that! headbutt.gif Let alone the issues of how he magically had the beam lined up before it even started.

For a show which was based on scientific principle, that was pure science fiction.

PM                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 8 March 2008 - 04:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

You beat me to it, Rocky! happy.gif The rosary beads are the worst!

I think my second-least-favorite MacGyverism is in 'The Odd Triple' There is no way that a few tanks of CO2 could budge a wine vat of that capacity, let alone propel it with enough force to go through a brick wall! I shake my head every time I see that!

Still... it's a good episode. I love to see Mac and Jack and Pete working together! biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 8 March 2008 - 06:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

The two that come to mind immediately are both from the Bad Laser Dept. -- the rosary beads in "The Road Not Taken", and the "optical pump" in "Legend of the Holy Rose". hmm.bmp

The "Holy Rose" was certainly one of the stupidest, ugliest and most implausible props ever seen on TV (although the Black Corsage necklace is down there, too). And it's a pretty lame episode, and I want to strangle Zoe. But I love the scene where Mac gets wildly geeky when he figures out what the setup with the artifacts is supposed to do. The sheer charm of that one scene scores big for me. wub.gif

So on consideration, I'm rewarding the lead statuette to the rosary beads. It's a much better episode -- Mac and Pete together are always great! -- but it's a lame MacGyverism and a weak scene. dry.gif

Another Dishonourable Mention should go to the waterjet escape in "The Stringer". Should go -- but doesn't. It's cheesy, it's corny, it's implausible, and it looks unrealistic as hell on film -- but it was the last episode . . . and for the last great MacGyverism of the entire series, they found a way to make Mac fly. And I love it. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Rockatteer
Posted: 8 March 2008 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Actually the Holy rose episode might well have crap-fest # 3 as well....

That stupid escape from the swinging meat dicer... kick your shoe.. knock the head into the water container and let the loose hair block the hole.

hmm.bmp you know that one might be #2... at least the optical pump had a hint of science behind the idea.

PM                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 8 March 2008 - 07:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle

The whole Pit and the Pendulum scene was cringe-inducing, but at least there was a modicum of reality behind the hair clogging the drain; at least as much as there was to the medieval laser!

And I definitely agree that the rosary-bead laser was just plain science fiction -- entirely attributable to the Power of the Script.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
The True MacGyver
Posted: 10 March 2008 - 12:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Definitely the pressure washer escape from The Stringer. They seemed to jet pack out of the hold with a single stream of water. The pressure wouldn't be enough and they would of shot up wildly into the walls with no control. Sam even said 'the door's locked.' Your dad is MacGyver and you say a locked door is a hindrance. MacG.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted: 11 March 2008 - 12:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I vote for the water jet escape in 'The Stringer', too.

But the entire Holy Rose thing is way up there.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
deepfathom393
Posted: 8 May 2010 - 05:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

My vote goes to the coffin/jetski. that one was just plain terrible!! roller.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted: 8 May 2010 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

I would say both moments from Holy Rose, especially the escape from the swinging ax, which is way too dependent on sheer luck to be believable. Also, the plugging-the-acid-leak-with-chocolate scene in the Pilot. Yes, the principle is correct (sugar will stop sulfuric acid) but it would take about 40 POUNDS of chocolate candy to do it! Definitely out there.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragslo
Posted: 26 May 2010 - 04:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Definately the PILOT episode about the chocolates, I knew from the very first second I wouldn't ever try that.
And the rosary beads, looks like I ain't the only one to dislike that one.
My first thought was ''That wont ever work for me''

I wonder who came up with that idea...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rockatteer
Posted: 26 May 2010 - 06:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Staff Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Dragslo @ 26 May 2010 - 04:45 PM)
Definately the PILOT episode about the chocolates, I knew from the very first second I wouldn't ever try that.

But the chocolate actually works. It's been confirmed on Mythbusters as well as by RDA himself. wink.gif

It's only the amount of chocolate used that was exaggerated.

PM                                                                     
Dragslo
Posted: 27 May 2010 - 04:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Sorry bad my bad for not adding that, that's what I meant, few small bars doesnt save he world!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 29 May 2010 - 04:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

As bad as all the MacGyverisms are that you all listed (and yes, I do agree that they're bad), at least they were somewhat clever/entertaining (even if just in a "I can't belief how silly this is" kind of way.)
The ones that bothered me were the half-assed ones like using dumbells as wheels to move the stage in "The Madonna." I mean, that was the ONLY MacGyverism in the entire episode, and it was something that anybody with a semi-functioning brain could figure out. It hardly represents the brilliant mind that Mac is supposed to have.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Heist

I'd say my least favorite MacGyverism is the water jet pack escape from "The Stringer". ranting2.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 09:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

LOL! I always just chalked it all up to being 80's television. The pendulum scene in Holy Rose always kinda got to me because I remember that episode as a kid when it was first aired. I remember having to wait for the following week and how it was a big deal for my Mom, sister and I as we got all excited to see how he got out of it. lol As a kid, it didn't bother me because I remember it was pretty tense. However, now that I've gone back and watched it an adult, I kinda chuckle inside. It's very silly and unrealistic... but I still love it because it's nostalgia. XD

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 February 2013 - 03:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

What are the odds, huh? There was not much he could do, on the other hand. Nothing to grab nearby and he only had a minute. In Saw V they used a pendulum torture once as well, of course with no escape. There's no escape from a thing like that, if it only takes a minute to cut you in half unless you can break or dislocate your thumbs and try to free yourself from the shackles.

Silly and unrealistic indeed but I think the main idea was to have a grand scale cliffhanger and that's what we got. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll  

FIND MORE MACGYVER GEAR IN OUR STORE

Contact          Privacy          Copyright © 2014 MacGyver Online