DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Why do we watch MacGyver? Why do we love his adventures and demeanor? This whole question was riled up in me when I was verbally attacked by my 'friends' on my love of the show (this is a separate post). I'm not saying that there is no reason why we should watch, I'm just asking for personal opinions. On my own behalf, I watch him because he is a role model. Sure that may seem to suggest that I have no recognition of fact and fiction. But the character himself is admirable. He never sweats (unless fire is involved). He will always try to save anyone. His inventive mind he puts to excellent use. In an age when common sense is declining, he can be looked to for inspiration. But what is your own allure to watch his escapades?

A Dude's a Dude All Over the World - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 11:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Well, actually, I grew up with him. I've been watching this show from since I was kindergarten. Out in the Cold, Lost Love, Cease Fire, Halloween Knights, The Gun, Twenty Questions, Harry's Will, Lesson in Evil and Jerico Games were ones of the very very first episodes I've seen. Than thanks to the internet, I noticed MacGyver had been through like hundred more of adventures.
Why do I watch, mostly because of growing up with him and also because always my mom put me in front of the television to keep my quiet. biggrin.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Agent MacGyver!
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 01:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Cease Fire
House:  Loft

because:

1) he's an action hero
2) he always does the morally right thing
3) he isnt too violent
4) he uses his mind
5) he travels the world

I think that's it in a nutshell. he does the right thing while making it look cool as well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 03:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

I just grew up watching reruns of this show. My older brother liked it and I guess because I looked up to him I instantly wanted to watch it also. Then later I found out I really liked it. Now when I watch it, it takes me back to the good old times that are long gone and that makes me feel good. Just because mac is so innocent/cool/overall good person that makes it worth it. Plus his acting makes you really feel like RDA is Macgyver!!

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

That's the sign of a good actor, that he could so convincingly portray someone as to make him seem like a real person. I fell in love with him (in many different ways) blush.gif when I grew up watching him, too. I just love how down-to-earth he is, how intelligent, funny, and creative he can be. He makes me feel comfortable and helps me to relax. No matter what crisis might be going on in my life, I can always watch him and feel that I can overcome anything and survive. He gives me courage and confidence when I feel it lacking. Plus, he's just...*sigh*! wub.gif It's a lovely bonus when you're a woman watching the show--it just is. wink.gif Can one fictional character truly inspire so much feeling? Sure, when it's MacGyver! smile.gif I wish there was someone like him in the real world. sad.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 07:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Hmm- well, this is a topic that I've written about before, so here's a few reasons why I love MacGyver!

MacGyver is definitely the best television series ever!!! This show was a totally different show from all the violent action heroes proliferated in both movies and on TV. MacGyver actually used his brain and showed viewers that there's a better way than using guns. All of his tricks on the show are totally backed up by science. It's true that some elements were left out on the show, but this is only because the producers of the show were responsible and didn't want children to emulate anything that might be possibly dangerous. MacGyver was a hero who said "ow" when it hurt from throwing punches, because he was a very human character and it made him a more real character you could relate to. He also rarely cursed, (by the 2nd. season onward, he never cursed at all), he did not use guns, he did not drink alcohol, he did not smoke, and he was always helping someone whenever they were in trouble. He is a great example of a true hero. MacGyver is an overall clean show that still delivers plenty of great action, adventure and excitement, as well as teaching viewers a bit about science along the way. MacGyver ROCKS!!!

(I wrote that as an IMDB review some years ago.) But everything there still is true.
What else can I say? As a kid, sure- I loved the action and the last minute escapes (the same sort of thing that drew me to reading The Hardy Boys- still love those books! smile.gif )
And of course the MacGyverisms are way cool! But then, there's a lot more to MacGyver than just that. It is an educational show that teaches you some about science- but it also teaches you a lot about how to deal with situations and how to make the best of a situation.
MacGyver also espouses many Christian values that I appreciate and they only reinforced what I had found in The Bible when I became a Christian as a child.
MacGyver certainly loves his neighbor as himself, as we can see in many episodes.
And MacGyver does unto others as he would have them do unto him- which is following the Golden Rule that Jesus set down.
I also like that MacGyver has a respect for the sanctity of human life and that he is comfortable with relating to people of many different status levels and situations.
And he takes a stand against drinking, smoking, drugs and cursing and guns- none of which really do anybody any good.
A lot of values and things that MacGyver stood for, I wound up being influenced by and adopting- and as I said, it only helped reinforce what God was teaching me in The Bible. So I enjoy that aspect of the show.
And overall, MacGyver is just such a great role model- and it's hard to find many of those on TV today. MacGyver was a hero who related to all kinds of people and was able to help them without necessarily condemning them. I think he showed love and compassion and caring to everyone he encountered. And he stood for the side of right and truth.
I'll admit MacGyver has some flaws, because as many Christlike qualities as he has- he's not Jesus- he's only human. wink.gif
But MacGyver certainly is an admirable hero who is inspiring to people of all walks of life- and pretty much the best hero on TV ever. Okay, I can't say much anything else except that MacGyver ROCKS!!!

sak.gif duct.gif MacG.gif smallstart.gif word1.png

PM                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 27 March 2008 - 04:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

Also I forgot to add that macgyver was always someone that I wanted to know personally because he would be the best friend anyone could have.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
AustinHend1983
Posted: 27 March 2008 - 05:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I grew up watching MacGyver as a kid, and I even owned SAKs as a kid. He differed from other heroes with his morals and non violent ways of handling situations.

Austin

Liz1976
Posted: 28 June 2008 - 04:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather

A list of key reasons:
1. MacGyver is a character that teachs about the importance of scientific knowledge in everyday life.
2. The character is a hero, but not a superhero, he bleeds, he says ouch, he cires in a few episodes, he gets mad, makes mistakes, makes choices, yet tries in earnest to care for the people and the world around him and leave them better than before.
3. He is not perfect, none of the characters are; and in an era of the family sitcom where the heros seemed almost too perfect and the problem was solved in a half hour show, it's refreshing to see a show that shows complex characters with faults, mistakes, problems, issues. For example, Mac, Pete, Jack, Nikki, Penny, Jesse Colton, Kate Murphy and others all have issues in their personal and interpersonal relationships, even with friends. Like Mac and Jack sometimes having issues with each other--hurray!! That's normal, not that we all have friends that act the way Jack sometimes does, or maybe all have a bit of Jack in ourselves. I can see bits of Nikki's need for control and organization in myself.
4. Mac doesn't really cuss, he doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs or have sex on screen and I am not ashamed to watch the show with my kids.
5. The character of Pete is just wonderfully portrayed and well developed.
6. The show teaches a moral or an idea and while some episodes may seem preachy, they are thought provoking.
7. There are enough mistakes throughout the show that we can have an entire section on this forum devoted to nitpicks.
8. The Villians: Murdoc, Zito, Deborah, Piedra, the Von Leers, Nicholi Kosov, etc--giving us lots to discuss
9. John Anderson as Harry Jackson biggrin.gif
10. The women are an items to discuss, get infuriated by, make fun of, and ponder.

Also it's a great show to create fanfiction for--lots of wriggle room!!!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll