Disclaimer      

All stories in this forum are the intellectual property of the respective authors. These works may not be copied or re-presented in any way what-so-ever with out the express permission of the respective author of the work. These writings are written for the enjoyment of fans and are not intended to infringe upon any copyrights or trademarks owned by Paramount Studios, agents of, or persons authorized to act on behalf of.

Please read the Fan Fiction Rules before posting your fiction.

>> Fan Fiction Index <<

Phoenix Rising, Ch. 10 & 3/4 (G), bonus scene
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacBeth
Posted: 30 July 2008 - 05:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

So. Well. I thought I was finished.

This is like the ‘bonus scenes’ they sometimes add at the very end of the movie credits, for the tenacious few – like me – who actually sit and watch it all. Nothing here is going to further the plot, which has been concluded, after all. Just for fun.

After all, one of the running themes in this story was seeing how many of the first-season inconsistencies I could rationalise, explain, or accommodate . . . and there was one that had remained untouched.

I could not, however, think of any excuse as to why southern California suddenly starts to look like British Columbia, so I didn’t make any attempt at that. Besides, that doesn’t happen until after the second season. Maybe they just got a lot of rain that summer.

Enjoy!
Beth

------------------------------------

user posted image

Phoenix Rising

Chapter 10 & 3/4

NO, Mac. No way. End of discussion.”

MacGyver stood in the middle of Jason’s new San Francisco condo, arms akimbo, grinning unapologetically. “Aw, c’mon. Whatever happened to being open-minded?”

You’re the one who told me not to let my brains fall out! And if you show up to my handfasting in that shirt, somebody’s brains are gonna be served up on a platter for the potluck, and it ain’t gonna be mine!” Jason glared at Mac. “You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you? Just to get at me?”

Mac laughed and shrugged. “Just tryin’ to get you to relax. I can’t do it by getting you drunk, after all, and that’s supposed to be the traditional method.”

“Well, you could . . . ” Jason muttered.

“I won’t. Same difference.”

“Well, threatening me with that shirt is not relaxing, okay? A shirt that ugly has to be bad luck.”

“Oh, so now you believe in plain ordinary luck?”

“After everything I’ve seen you pull off, I’ve got to,” Jason murmured. “But – luckily enough! – Gina had a hunch that you might pull something like this.” He produced a package from underneath a sofa cushion and tossed it to Mac. “Present for you – from both of us, kind of, but mostly from Gina.”

MacGyver pulled off the wrapping expecting the worst, and broke out into a broad grin when he held up the contents: a short-sleeved, open-collared cotton shirt in bright sky blue, a colour guaranteed to make any DXS ops coordinator froth at the mouth. It was spattered with cartoonish figures in red and yellow of rocket ships and explosions, and large white and yellow letters reading “BANG” and “BOOM”. The shirt wasn’t merely ‘conspicuous’ or even ‘attention-grabbing’: it was strident.

Mac loved it on sight.

“Gina found it at one of the downtown boutiques – she’s got five new clients already thanks to Ruth, and now that she doesn’t have to commute across the Gate, she’s got more time to stir up customers.” Gina ran her own business, doing window dressing design for high-end shops. “So what’s she doing? Getting more exclusive. You wouldn’t believe how much an ordinary shirt costs in the place where she scored that one. Not that she paid for it. She never pays for clothes. I think she permitted them to give it to her.”

Mac had unbuttoned and shed the flowered shirt he’d worn to bait Jason, and was standing in his khaki slacks checking his new acquisition for pins as Jason talked. He realised he’d been grinning too hard to say thanks.

“Well, hell, it’s the least I can do after everything you’ve done . . . and if you expect me to believe that you had nothing to do with our getting this condo, you can think again. I may not be a genius – ” Mac would have interrupted, but Jason gave him no opening. “ – but I’m not naïve. I know just how tight housing is in San Francisco . . . I mean, look at this place. I can walk to the embassy from here, and Gina’s an easy transit hop from her clients.”

Mac couldn’t help feeling a true sense of smugness, looking around the condo. Ruth Collins hadn’t been kidding when she said she believed in incentives. When Pete had told her about the informal ‘bonus’ system he and MacGyver had developed over the years, she’d been delighted with the idea and had insisted on adopting the same practice immediately. Her insidious network of contacts had scored the condo for Jason and Gina, which had eliminated one of the obstacles to their marriage.

MacGyver was still wondering about some of the other obstacles. “Um, Jason . . . did you ever hear from Karen? Is she gonna be there?”

Jason shrugged. “Nothing final, but that’s final enough. I had to be honest with her, Mac – I told her our father was coming.”

Mac blinked at him. “Karen told me you were the only family she had left.”

“Did she? Well, you can’t blame her for not counting Dad – he and Mom got divorced when we were in our teens, and she took it pretty personally. After Mom died, she kind of pretended he didn’t exist either. Actually, so did I – it wasn’t till after I got back from Czechoslovakia that I got back in touch with him.”

“Good for you.”

“Good for Baba, really. She made me do it; gave me a really awful scolding. But I’m glad now. So how’s the new job working out?”

MacGyver’s face became incandescent. “Aw, it’s terrific. Man. Where do I begin? I just wrapped up three weeks of marine habitat studies down in Monterey – we’re assessing the status of the Marine Gardens park there, you know, and – ” he was about to launch into a more detailed description when he saw Jason’s eyes showing signs of glazing. Instead, he broke off with a sheepish look. “Anyway, I had to take a break in the middle of that for a field test of your embassy security.”

Jason stared at him. “That was you?”

Mac shrugged and nodded.

“Do you know how badly you freaked out the ambassador?” Jason demanded. “Since your little visit, they’ve added so many new security protocols, it takes me three times as long just to get in and out of the building!”

Mac shrugged again. “Well, just between you and me, I’ve seen birdfeeders that were harder to get into.”

Jason shook his head and glanced at the clock. “C’mon, hotshot. We need to get going.” He studied Mac thoughtfully. “You know, I had my doubts when Gina brought that shirt home, but it’s okay. But what happened to your hair? It looks lighter than it used to be.”

Mac pulled one of the longer strands around so he could peer at it. “Beats me. You remember when Baba had me use that dye to darken my hair, when she took me to Baranyev’s house that first time? Afterwards, she gave me some other stuff to get rid of the dye, but I swear it made everything way lighter than before.”

Jasion shrugged. “Well, you know what they say – if you stay in California long enough, sooner or later you’ll turn into a blonde. Now you just need to get a red sports car.

"No way!" Mac shook his head, laughing. "Not a chance."

~ game over ~

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 30 July 2008 - 06:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber

clapping.gif

What else is left to say? The perfect ending. Thanks.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 30 July 2008 - 06:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Squee!!

The Bang! Boom! shirt!! laugh.gif So that's where he got that thing! What a great shirt!

A most clever ploy... you managed to get him out of his shirt... without destroying the original! wink.gif

But what happened to your hair? It looks lighter than it used to be.”

roller.gif

Beautiful addition! clapping.gif Worth sitting all the way through the credits for! tongue.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 30 July 2008 - 07:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Tailorthithil)
A most clever ploy... you managed to get him out of his shirt...

So you noticed, huh?

without destroying the original!

I would have liked to destroy it, but he wears it right up into season 7! Argh! ohmy.gif

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Kyrian
Posted: 31 July 2008 - 05:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Officer Suisse

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:All

Love the ending 'Beth! A nice way to end a great story!

Honestly I had always thought that shirt looked rather silly. I liked the black tank top much better... then again, I like Mac shirtless best of all...drool.gif .. Ahem...(runs to get a bath towel to drool on)

<Is it gettin hot in here or is it just me> w00t.gif

**Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.**

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 31 July 2008 - 04:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

The hotness is not your imagination.

I thought that shirt was pretty silly, but I maintain that it lacked the quintessential awfulness of the flowered shirt. And it was a much better colour.

*tosses you extra towel* Always keep 'em handy . . .

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Bandersnatch
Posted: 4 August 2008 - 07:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: A sharp one

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Trail to Doomsday (Movie)

Wonderful "G" addition, Bethy! You're explaining the things the show could/would not explain. I'm impressed, thrilled, and delighted. Another story when the mood strikes would be sweet smile.gif happy_dance.gif

"What's a "MacGyver" and why does it have a convention?" ~ Bart Simpson

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 22 August 2008 - 12:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Another story? Oh, maaan . . . . happy.gif

I've been a little, let's say, distracted with getting things ready for Gatecon . . . and I've also been recovering from the sheer fatigue of the last really intense bout of writing: the final 10,000 words or so of "Phoenix Rising" were written in less than two weeks. As I finished chapter 7, I felt as tired as if I'd been climbing elevator shafts myself.

And now I'm distracted by actually being here at Gatecon! But we'll see what happens when the dust and squee have settled. I've been playing with plot bunnines -- cute little suckers (as long as you don't notice the Great Big Pointy Teeth) -- and have recently turned up a couple of character bunnies, which I think are even more promising.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Mela_007
Posted: 27 November 2012 - 09:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

Tremendous story MacBeth!!! I am new to the site, so I am just now reading the fanfiction...and loving it!!!!!!!! You are an amazing writer and I admit I had to read ALL of your stories after reading the first (which I think was Up a Long Ladder). I cannot express my feelings at the depth of research, the way you stick to the character, and even fill in gaps that the series didn't get to. Truly amazing!!! happy_dance.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted: 3 February 2013 - 04:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist

I just joined this site and just started reading the Fan Fiction. Awesome Story! Very good description, Great writing, and I love how you stuck to the character so well. You filled in parts that the series forgot, Great Writing. swissopen.gif word1.png

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll