Home      Macipedia      Characters      Episodes      Comic Book      Media Center      Calendar      Members      Rules      Help      Store      F.A.Q.      Search

Lee David Zlotoff Talks MacGyver
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
macman
Posted: 12 January 2012 - 03:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Observatory

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 25 December 2011 - 10:10 AM)

He has an absolute passion for the MacGyver character and is commuted to maintaining the integrity of the character which is why most of the people involved in the project are MacGyver fans.

Sorry again, but no one involved in the project are fans...even lz left the show after the pilot. (funny, he's not even a fan!) Plus none of the writers had ever even seen the show so they're sure not "fans" either.

maybe fresh blood will be good.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 12 January 2012 - 03:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Negotiator
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Maybe when you have actually spoken with Lee and communicated with others involved in these new projects as I have, you'll be qualified to make such an assessment, but until then clearly your not.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
macman
Posted: 12 January 2012 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 12 January 2012 - 03:36 PM)
Maybe when you have actually spoken with Lee and communicated with others involved in these new projects as I have, you'll be qualified to make such an assessment, but until then clearly your not.

...what's your connection and what makes you qualified?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 12 January 2012 - 05:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

Favorites

Look around the site. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

In the mean time after seeing the comments you just tried to post on the news site, it appears you're here for no other reason than to be negative and try to wind people up.. commonly know as trolling.

That will need to stop if you want to continue being a member here.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 13 January 2012 - 04:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (macman @ 12 January 2012 - 03:33 PM)
Sorry again, but no one involved in the project are fans...

Where did you hear that? Because, really, I have no idea what tv shows these people like or don't like, and I'm just wondering how you know.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
WhatMeWorry?
Posted: 16 January 2012 - 06:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Easy Target

I am curious whether Lee David Zlotoff has rights to the MacGyver theme song and will be able to use it in the film. I am a big fan of film scores and I have been anxiously waiting for a large-scale orchestral version of the theme song for years.

I can remember reading paramount now owns the rights to the series logo/title, so now I am wondering if only paramount owns the theme song? If it is not used in the soundtrack I will be extremely disappointed. I am almost more excited for an orchestral theme than I am for the movie.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Ad hoc
Posted: 16 January 2012 - 09:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Compact

Favorites
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Im curious about the theme song too! A good more modern version would be cool.

I live in hope that a movie is made.

I imagine that bringing the essence of Mac from the 80's into the now wouldn't be easy at all. And however they do the movie, not everyone will be pleased Im sure. But when the moviemakers get it right, they perform some kind of magic.

I reckon they would make him a little more athletic, more electronics/computer savvy (i.e.. cook a freshly caught squirrel with only his mobile phone and the sound of rushing water), as well as of course continuing to make him unusually gifted in almost all aspects of science, and hopefully still make it believable that one man can do all that...

Hope is a good thing

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macman
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 03:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (macman @ 12 January 2012 - 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 12 January 2012 - 03:36 PM)

Actually I have.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macman
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 03:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 12 January 2012 - 05:12 PM)
... it appears you're here for no other reason than to be negative and try to wind people up.. commonly know as trolling.

I don't see the reason to be defensive. We live in a capitalist society, where doing things for the purpose of making money is the norm. There's nothing "wrong" or "negative" in that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macman
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 03:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Miasma @ 13 January 2012 - 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (macman @ 12 January 2012 - 03:33 PM)
Sorry again, but no one involved in the project are fans...

Where did you hear that? Because, really, I have no idea what tv shows these people like or don't like, and I'm just wondering how you know.

Hey Miasma, I know because I work with some of them. That concerns me more than the fact that zlotoff's doing it for the money..duh, why wouldn't he? why shouldn't he? I'm concerned that the people involved don't get MacGyver like we do. They're banking on the hope that we'll buy tickets just because we're die hard loyalists, which is probably true. Maybe we'll get a good surprise. In the mean time..we've got reruns!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 07:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

Favorites

So your saying you worked for some of "these people" whoever they are, and now your bad mouthing them anonymously on this forum. - nice guy.

Maybe you would care to explain who these "non-fans" are and how you have worked with them. Because I know people such as Tony Lee, Will Sliney, Adam Tow are all fans. I know Becky Cloonan who will still be doing the cover art for the comic books is a fan as well. And if you read the interviews and listen to Lee talk about MacGyver you can sense he has a love of the character and what he stands for.

I don't see the reason to be defensive.

I've answered this in a PM to you so as not to detract from the discussion at hand.

I'm concerned that the people involved don't get MacGyver like we do.

Not everyone working on any of these projects will all be die hard fans. Even Lee himself isn't a "Die Hard" fan of the show, but he is a fan of the character what the character represents and he is bringing on board people who are die hard fans to try and make sure we get it right.

One of the main reasons this movie is taking so long is because Lee wants to get it right and is being particularly picky about making sure the script/story is right.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
macman
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 07:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 24 January 2012 - 07:16 PM)
So your saying you worked for some of "these people" whoever they are, and now your bad mouthing them anonymously on this forum. - nice guy.

I haven't "bad mouthed" anyone. The only one who has been "bad mouthed" is me, by you.

I said zlotoff is perfectly in the RIGHT to be wanting to make a buck.
I said maybe we'll get something GOOD out of fresh blood.

I said the same thing You did about lz not being a fan of the show.
Many many people have said the same things about us die hard fans.

Maybe if you weren't so eager to jump me we could've had a polite conversation in which we'd've clarified that I was speaking of the people involved with the movie, not the comic. The comic group are fans, the movie group were not.

I believed your rules that say: we don't have to agree with each other, but we do have to be respectful. Thanks for the respectful warm welcome.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 24 January 2012 - 09:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

Favorites

If you had come in here and calmly explained how you know what you claim to know instead of the aggressive "Your wrong because I know" approach that you took. You would have had a different response.

That approach along with the rather negative feeling "gotta love lz’s half baked modesty in this interview... Friends like that, who needs enemies…" comment you tried to post in the news site under a different name all look very much like trolling activity and you got the appropriate response to it. I wouldn't say that post showed any respect towards Lee Zlotoff at all. And even though he had help coming up with the idea I believe he still wrote the pilot episode himself so essentially he built the foundation of the character.

In any case the response you got was directly caused by the tone seen in your posting particularly the news comment which as I said came across as being very disrespectful and had a sense of trying to stir things up rather than adding meaningful content or insight. If that was a misinterpretation than I apologize for the harsh response you were given, but would suggest that you need to qualify your comments by explaining how you know what your saying you know. Anyone can say they know things,people etc, and you have an anonymous name and email address which only heightens suspicion in such cases.

Hopefully this explains why you got the response you did and we can now move back to a fruitful discussion.

Maybe you cna now address my other comments and questions?

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 12 February 2012 - 07:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Hi, I've added a new blog to our Harmony Constant Face Book Fan site about this topic amoung other things. While you're there please "Like" our page and let me know what you think of the blog:)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 30 April 2012 - 02:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

Anytime a TV show is remade for the the small screen or a made into a movie in order to "introduce it to a new generation" my head hurts. Just because there's a new generation doesn't mean a classic show has to be re-invisioned. What makes these classic shows classic is the time in which they were made. Look at "The Three Stooges", Larry, Moe and Curly are funny because at the time the slap-stick / vaudeville style of comedy was funny and it's still funny today because of when it was filmed. To try and recapture that style today doesn't work because slap-stick/vaudeville humor is not the norm anymore.

Classic things are classic because they're classic. To try and remake/reinvision/reboot a classic anything is wrong.

Leave MacG.gif as we remember him.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 30 April 2012 - 03:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

Don't worry. The experience with other series-turned-into-movies has proven that the two can exist next to each other. So I don't believe for a second that 'our' MacGyver will disappear because of the movie. The MacGyver we came to know and love is the classic, like the Stooges you mention. The MacGyver movie may be a success, may be not, but will never be able to replace the series. Look at original A-Team, Knight Rider, Starsky & Hutch, Magnum, and Star Trek. They hold their own, and no movie that has tried to reboot them has been able to change that.
To me that is a comforting thought. I am curious to see what they will do with MacGyver-The Movie, but in my view the movie is no threat to MacGyver-the Series. At all.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 30 April 2012 - 12:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

Favorites

This movie isn't ment to replace the show. If anything it will complement the show by showing how when and why he became the person we meet in the first episode.

While there may be some changes to background information, mostly due to copyright issues with CBS, for the most part the movie will be fairly true to the character as we know him.

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 30 April 2012 - 10:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

Of course it isn't meant to replace the show. It's just that people, fans in particular, fear it will take away something from the series. I don't believe for one minute that will happen, and trust Mr. Zlotoff to do a fine job with the movie.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted: 1 June 2012 - 11:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

A couple of thoughts here.

Number one, bear in mind that people do change in appearance as they grow older. I'm now 35 (almost 36) and I look quite different than I did in my late teens/early 20's. And it's not just hairstyle, whether you wear glasses, or that kind of thing. The structure of your bones changes a bit, as well. So I could definitely see some of those young actors playing a younger Mac.

Second, I agree that someone's personality can change quite a bit as they grow older (I know it happened to me!) and most people are not the same person at 35 or 40 that they were at 18 or 20. So again, I could see one of those actors playing Mac, as long as they keep his basic personality.

Also, of course, they need to find a way to work in those bits of Mac's childhood that were included in the show (from Blood Brothers and Phoenix Under Siege).

The fact is, Lee Zlotoff created MacGyver in the first place, and he knows the character better than anyone (with the possible exception of RDA). I understand that some of you are upset by the fact that RDA won't be involved (or at least not much) but practically speaking, how would RDA, who is now in his 60's, play a character in his late teens/early 20's? Not gonna happen, sorry.

I will be following this with great interest, and will probably go to see it. I love the character as played by RDA, but hey, I'd love to see another actor's take on the character when he was younger. I'm just glad this is actually going to happen.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll  

FIND MORE MACGYVER GEAR IN OUR STORE

Contact          Privacy          Copyright © 2014 MacGyver Online