Episode Discussions      
This is a reply only forum. You can not start new topics in here. If you wish to start a new topic please put it in the MacGyver 2016 forum.

1.1 The Rising
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this episode?
user posted image [ 4 ]  [11.76%]
user posted image [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
user posted image [ 15 ]  [44.12%]
user posted image [ 6 ]  [17.65%]
user posted image [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Total Votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Mac2Nite
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker/Hunter

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Challenge
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

I said it before and I'll say it again... I liked it! I'm actually looking forward to Friday night for the next episode! biggrin.gif Could do with fewer explosions... but even the ORIGINAL series' logo was MacGyver written in front of an explosion wink.gif

Anyway... Can't wait to see how they develop things going forward. And with all of the social media comments, etc.. I'm sure they're listening to us old farts... but also cognizant of the fact that we aren't the main demographic they're shooting for... just sayin'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 10:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather

True, true... >_<

My opinion and lack of views won't hurt them any, I'm sure. My opinion is kinda torn anyway. One minute I'm happy about the reboot, and another minute I'm hating it.

Dunno why really... it just feels like something is missing, almost like the show has no personality. But maybe that will change in the next episode?

I was never a fan of James Wan... hated the SAW series with a passion, and his horror movies are pretty mediocre. So the fact I was somewhat disappointed with the pilot doesn't surprise me at all.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac2Nite
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 10:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

I can appreciate what you are saying... But if you remember the original series' pilot episode... Mac (as played by RDA) was cocky as h*ll... so I think one can't judge a series by its first episode... it takes time to develop... as it did the first time around...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 12:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Well, sure!

I wasn't hooked on the original until season 3. I actually skipped most of season 2, went back and watched it later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is part of the reason I didn't care much for the pilot was because James Wan directed it. I'm not a big fan of his stuff, so... that may be why I was a bit disappointed. If the other episodes are directed by someone else, I might like it better. I'm certainly gonna give it several episodes before I decide I like it or not.

I've given the reboot a pretty fair shot... and I'm gonna continue to be as fair as I can with it.

You'll have to forgive me... I'm a very picky person about what I watch. blush.gif

Edit: I was just thinking, I wonder if my Dad will like this reboot... lol I'll have to annoy him with it when I visit him next... heeheehee

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Walter
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 05:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Log Jam

QUOTE (Mac2Nite @ 29 September 2016 - 02:59 PM)
I can appreciate what you are saying... But if you remember the original series' pilot episode... Mac (as played by RDA) was cocky as h*ll... so I think one can't judge a series by its first episode... it takes time to develop... as it did the first time around...

Really? Cocky?

You'll need to explain that to me and remember there's a difference between being confident and being cocky.

"If I want a weapon I'll make one" is definitely cocky to the point of outright arrogance.

"The bag's not for what I take, it's for what I fond along the way" is confidence. But even with the confidence he wasn't overbearing with it and was never 100% it would work. Unlike this new MacGyver.

"I hack everything else.".... Really?? puke.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 29 September 2016 - 08:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Look, i can somewhat agree with what you are all saying. But there is truth to the imbalance of the two shows. Clearly this is not a copy of the original. Lenkov has been on H50 for sometime and took some of its formula to try to boost Mac.

"Some" may find the theme to Mac a little dated but the opening part to still carry a bit of validation. They wanted a more dramatic feel to fit with today's rougher audience so they took the one part that "Worked" for them and finished it with something else.

Television today is not campy. It is brutal. So it has to fit with the others. I also agree that there is a lot going on that i am not fond of. Hate the team thing, not liking Eads too much. The relationship with Nikki is 2 dimensional and couldnt care less if she dies or not. Wilt is always going to be there when Mac goes home (I have a feeling). He's going to be like a ghost or a haunting. biggrin.gif

I liked the alone time Mac had. It helped you to connect to the character better.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted on 3 October 2016 - 01:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages

I managed to watch halfway through the pilot, and I really must admit that it was quite entertaining. However, I disliked the whole team involvement.

I will rate the episode 8/10; A person should not continuously examine the contrasts between the original series and the reboot; it is not a sequel, but a complete remake of the series. Not bad at all!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 3 October 2016 - 10:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

And you only saw half? biggrin.gif

The pilot was okay. But it did not blow me away. IMO of course.

The second episode was worse for me and i just didnt "get" it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted on 4 October 2016 - 12:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

QUOTE (denizen @ 4 October 2016 - 08:14 AM)
And you only saw half? biggrin.gif

It was late so I decided to go to bed... biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 5 October 2016 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Forgive me if this has already been asked (I may have overlooked a post or two), but how did Nikki fake her death for several months? Mac and Jack both must have known where her body should have been, so didn't anyone actually look for her body before proclaiming that she was dead? Or did they just say, "Well, huh, I don't see her, but oh well, I guess she must be dead and her body just vanished."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac2Nite
Posted on 6 October 2016 - 06:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

Well...IMHO... Mac was shot himself and unable to return to the scene of the shooting... so since he had seen her "get fatally shot" he presumed her dead? As for hiding out for several months, I imagine her "other friends", the ones who faked her death, helped hide her as well wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 6 October 2016 - 06:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Mac2Nite @ 7 October 2016 - 02:20 AM)
Well...IMHO... Mac was shot himself and unable to return to the scene of the shooting... so since he had seen her "get fatally shot" he presumed her dead? As for hiding out for several months, I imagine her "other friends", the ones who faked her death, helped hide her as well wink.gif

Possible. It just seems like a very sloppy way of handling it by DXS. They're supposed to be such a high-powered, top-secret organization, yet when one of their own agents disappears, they just assume she's dead and don't look for a body?
Mac saw her get shot, sure, but he got shot, too, and he survived, so why would he (or anyone) assume it wasn't possible for her to have survived, especially when her body was never found? Presumably somebody got Mac out of the water not too long after the shooting (since he didn't drown), so wouldn't they have also tried to get Nikki out? And if Nikki was no longer there, wouldn't that raise some concerns about where she went?

(I'm probably overthinking something that was actually just a case of lazy writing.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Danjo1
Posted on 6 October 2016 - 07:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker, Camper

Favorites
House:  Loft

Sloppy writing, more like. Yep, I had the same issue. When you're a person who analyzes things like plots etc, holes like that can get annoying. These days, too many shows jump around so fast that it can throw one off. They cram too much in too quickly and you can get lost pretty rapidly. Correlations between length of time between commercial breaks, and lack of narrative story telling and the development of ADD are pretty well documented. I feel like the writers of this show (and many others) suffer from the same ADD that their shows help to induce. The MacGyverisms in the new show are one such example. They happen so fast that there is no suspense (someone else mentioned this before on here). There is no wondering "What's Mac up to?" it's just BAM done and onto the next thing before one can even appreciate the ingenuity of what we just witnessed.

I know styles change in terms of storytelling formats and fashions, but I don't always think they are improvements merely because they are new. Our brains are wired to think in terms of stories. We process things that way and turn periods of our life into episodes even though it is really an unbroken stream of one thing after another. Stories, to be good, have to be constructed in a particular way for them to be meaningful and stick. I can remember many episodes of the original show. They stuck. I have the distinct feeling that many of the new episodes will be forgettable and all sort of blend together in my mind after the season is over. But, I'm 49 years-old. I was 18 when the original show started and I grew up watching shows that had four acts and an epilogue. Character development was more important, and people would actually watch something from beginning to end to see how it turned out. There didn't have to be a thrill a minute, watching each scene go by in a blur as if riding on a roller coaster.

Here endeth my cranky old man rant.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 6 October 2016 - 08:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

But, I'm 49 years-old. I was 18 when the original show started and I  grew up watching shows that had four acts and an epilogue. Character development was more important, and people would actually watch something from beginning to end to see how it turned out. There didn't have to be a thrill a minute, watching each scene go by in a blur as if riding on a roller coaster.

It's odd, because in some ways, you're right: With shows like this new MacGyver, everything is being done at a breakneck pace in order to keep the audience's attention. And yet, audiences, overall, have very good attention, as evidenced by the fact that we see much larger story arcs in tv shows these days than we did in the 80s. Back in the 80s, shows were done on an episode-by-episode basis. Everything was neatly wrapped up in 45 minutes (not counting commercials.) But these days, many shows give us huge stories and complex characters, spread out over many years. And people stick with those shows, and follow the intricacies of the plots and characters' developments very closely, so I don't really know why a show like this MacGyver reboot feels the need to speed everything up.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 15 October 2016 - 08:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

My sister watched the pilot last night... her opinion isn't as biased because she's not a big fan of the original. She thinks my fandom of the original is hilarious.

Some of the things she said you guys have mentioned already:

1. It's more Mission Impossible than MacGyver
2. This is the Jack Dalton and Riley show, MacGyver comes in secondary
3. It's too fast paced, and the whole team thing is done too quickly. Because of this, it gives little room for the audience to connect with the characters... especially MacGyver, who should be the first to connect with because he's the title character.
4. The MacGyver/Nikki love scenes are forced and uncomfortable... The whole handcuffs scene was ridiculous
5. Fake explosions are too obvious, and makes a mention that at least it's not a Michael Bay film. I said it was directed by James Wan, and she said: Well, that's obvious.
6. Humor is too forced
7. All in all, she said the show was "okay", but was too predictable.

She did laugh a few times and thought Jack Dalton was amusing. She said she'd be willing to watch a few more episodes though to see if it gets any better. She also said her husband might give it go... but only because Sandrine Holt is in it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll