|Episode: 012 (#40191-011)
January 22, 1986
Gambit Writer: Jerry Ludwig
Gambit Director: Cliff Bole
MacGyver is sent to East Berlin
to retrieve microfilm evidence for the DXS and hides in a coffin being
delivered across a bridge checkpoint to make his escape out of East Berlin unnoticed.
However his plan encounters a hic-up when the East Berlin guards discover his ploy,
forcing his hired mourners to prematurely dump his coffin over the side of the bridge,
into the river. Once in the water MacGyver triggers his pre-set detonators to blow the
sides of the coffin away to reveal a jet ski which he uses to make his escape up the
After returning from his East Berlin mission,
MacGyver is unexpectedly picked
up by government employee Karen
Blake and whisked away to a secret DXS Safe House where he finds his
friend Pete Thornton waiting for
him with Crypt-analyst expert, Mrs.
Chung ready to start decoding the microfilm from Berlin. Pete explains that they are
meeting in the unused safe house because theres a security leak in the DXS. They
quickly find, however that the house has been booby trapped by an old enemy of
MacGyvers named Quayle,
who has his heart set on revenge after MacGyver foiled his plans once before.
One by one Quayle incapacitates
MacGyvers companions leaving just himself and Karen Blake to plan an escape.
MacGyver however learns that Karen is in fact being forced to spy for Quayle under threat of her
captured brother, being killed by Quayles associates and MacGyver is left to find a way to
save everyone in the house and capture Quayle before he kills them all.
- Picks up broken phone with blade
- Checks door for electric shocks by taping blade on metal
- Pokes hole in metal dish with screwdriver blade
- Cuts power cable on electric can opener
- Touches blade against circuit in fuse box
- Tightens screw to hold wires in fuse box
- Victorinox Tinker small
- Taped batteries together as a battery pack
- Taped electrical wires to batteries
- Taped part of the suit of armor back together
- Model building / construction
- The opening gambit includes clips from the 1966 film"Funeral in Berlin" staring Michael
- Pete mentions in his explanation of how he and MacGyver first met, that MacGyver saved
him from quicksand in the "Wadi Nafud" desert. We assume that he was referring
to the An-Nafud
desert area in Saudi
Arabia. Wadi is the arabic word meaning dry river bed.
- Pete's explanation of how he and MacGyver first met is
contradicted in the episode Partners when a whole new story is revealed which involves
- At the start of this episode we see Quayle standing before
3 nameless men who appear to be his boss. We see these 3 men again in later episodes,
which leads to the question of - Are these 3 men the forerunners of what will later become
HIT? Or are they in fact HIT?
- Pete Thornton is a Colonel, which suggests that the DXS is
a military intelligence agency like the CIA.
- In the scene showing MacGyver exiting the helicopter at the beginning
of the episode the helicopter can be seen shacking uncontrollably as it experiences 'Ground resonance' forcing
the pilot to lift off immediately to avoid the serious results of the helicopter shaking itself apart.
- There are some places in this world that are a lot easier to get into than out of. Like
East Berlin, for instance. I mean look at me... I'm dying to leave. - MacGyver
- I guess this makes me about the first guy who ever attended his own funeral and lived to
tell about it. - MacGvyer
- The first time I met this fellow, he pulled me out of the quicksand in the Wadu Naboot -
deep desert. Then he put me on a camel and gave it this gigantic swat. - Pete
- Congratulations yourself. I heard: Deputy Chief of the Department. Big deal. - MacGyver
You can call me "Sir." - Pete
- He used the name Quayle. Sold the British out to the Russians. Double-crossed the
Russians for the Ayatollah. - MacGyver
Ah, those dear, fun days... - Quayle
- Always had to say how great you were, didn't you, Quayle? Afraid maybe people wouldn't
notice. - MacGyver
You'll be the last one to die. - MacGyver
That's what I figure, too . . . of old age, hopefully - MacGyver
- Stay low, move fast, think smart... - MacGyver
...and if you go... - MacGyver and Pete together
...take company along. - Pete
- When I was a kid, I use to build model airplanes with rubber band motors. Then I
discovered batteries - it sure did increase the mileage. - MacGyver
- Ah, yes, that's the handyman side of MacGyver; he likes to make clever little things out
of odd bits. - Quayle
- So, how's the General? - MacGyver
Generally good, except he's a Colonel. - Karen
When MacGyver pulls the suit of armor back in after it gets shot by the
machine gun outside there are no bullet holes in it.
The suit of armor mounted on the trolley that Mac uses as a diversion
has one problem. When it drives into a wall, the empty and hollow piece of armor
The automatic sentry guns Quayle (the assassin) uses are ordinary MP5's
with ordinary 30 or 50-round magazines mounted on some sort of automatic aiming mechanism.
The real problem with that, is that although the guns have limited magazines, that doesn't
stop them from firing hundreds upon hundreds of rounds.
When Quayle is flipping through the security cameras he looks at the
room where Mrs. Chong and Pete are.
Pete disappears then reappears when he flips back to the room again.
- Casket became a jet ski
- Used metal bowl & electric juicer along with other
kitchen appliances as electronic jammers
- Used Vinegar & Baking Soda to make a smoke screen
- Put suit of armor out through door to see how the door was
- Used torch batteries taped together as a Power pack for
- Tied hand held electric mixer in front of cart wheel with
rubber band around the wheel and mixing bar to "motorize" the cart
- Attached amour helmet and shoulders to the top of the
motorized cart as a decoy for motion detecting guns.
- Removed pins from door hinges so door would fall outwards
and could be used as a ramp for the motorized trolley
- Used motorized decoy to draw fire of guns away from
- Piled up scrap metal in the middle of corridor as an early
warning for when Quayle is coming
- Wired the fuse box to overload the main power switch
- Used all the scrap metal in the basement to create a path
to the fuse box.
- Used mirror as a periscope
- Used high pressure water outlet as a water cannon to push
Quayle against overloaded fuse box and electrocute him