While cleaning up from a disastrous attempt to impress his land-lady with a hi-tech breakfast MacGyver receives a phone call from Pete Thornton asking him to come into the office for an urgent assignment with an added taunt of having something MacGyver would like. Unable to resist the taunt or the opportunity to get away from his breakfast disaster MacGyver heads to the DXS offices where he finds his assignment is to work with his old army bomb disposal partner, Charlie Robinson , to disarm a bomb found on a cruise ship in the middle of the
North Pacific Ocean. But when they arrive they find it is in fact 2 bombs located at opposite ends of the ship which need disarming. Things become even more complicated when a third bomb is located and Charlie's bomb explodes as they begin to disarm it, killing him and leaving MacGyver with no choice but to try and talk the captain of the ship through disarming the third bomb as MacGyver tries to disarming his own bomb.
- Uses small
screwdriver blade to remove lids of
- Bomb disarming
- The ship seen in this episode was named the MS
Vistafjord and has since been renamed twice. It's current
name is MS Saga Ruby.
- This episode is the first and only time we hear about MacGyver
being in a military bomb disposal team in the Vietnam war.
- Sure is great to start off a sunny day
thinking about the people you like most. My pal Susan, for
instance. She's my landlady, the building maintenance person -
and the only human being who's figured out how to keep me
organized. So, how do I repay her? A twenty-first century
breakfast, of course. I wonder how she likes her eggs? -
- Love that modern technology. - Susan, after Roberta drops
an egg on her shoe.
- Mac, I need your help. - Pete Thornton
Last time you said that to me, I ended up in Washington,
wearing a pin-striped suit and a necktie. - MacGyver
- I had this contract with Pete Thornton's outfit that says I
take only those jobs I wanna take. Now, you'd think I'd say
"no" once in a while. Especially when Pete wants to
put me in the middle of the ocean to baby-sit a bomb. -
- Ignore him. He has this irrepressible paternal instinct toward
me - Charlie Robinson
- Tell me, Mr. MacGyver. Would you want to know that a
very good possibility exists that you could die a violent death
some time during the next three hours? - Carol
Yes, Ma'am, I would. - MacGyver
- Pick a number, Mac. - Charlie
Oh, no . . . We played that game already. - MacGyver
- Remember the routine in 'Nam: by the numbers. Slow and easy.
And we'll live forever. - MacGyver
- It's not technology, it's . . . art. - MacGyver
"Art"?! MacGyver, it's a damn bomb! - Pete
You just lack artistic tastes. - MacGyver
- Turned cargo net into a rappel
line and harness
- Uses sharpening stone to scratch
through end of neon tube to break end off tube.
- Used edge of powder dish to
remove cork from tube inside the bomb
- Used neon tube with end cut open
to vacuum phosphorus powder out of bomb trap.
- Injected a mixture of low fat milk
and oven cleaner via a pastry tube to neutralize an acid
mixture inside the bomb.
- Used dental probe and petroleum
jelly to pierce the seal around the bomb