The Thief of Budapest
The Thief of Budapest
13 October 1985
MacGyver is sent to Northern Africa to retrieve a stolen horse.
While getting to the horse is easy enough, escaping the horses thieves proves
somewhat more difficult as the alarm is soon raised and MacGyver finds himself in a
jousting duel as he waits for the chopper to arrive to airlift both him and the horse to
MacGyver travels to Budapest
to pick up secret information from his old spy friend ,Nikolai Grodsky; But the pickup is
foiled when his friend is killed and the pocket watch containing the information is
pick-pocketed from the dead agent by a young Gypsy thief.
The Gypsy girl is soon
tracked down by the agents who had Grodsky killed and her family are thrown in jail.
MacGyver then embarks on a mission to free her family, not only from the prison
theyre being held in, but from the country itself.
- Picked the lock on the supply truck
- Cut open the containers of salt and sugar
- Cut credit card into slices
- Tinker (small)
- Taped together a transistor radio and a police
- Stunt driving
- The opening gambit stunt of lifting a galloping horse by
helicopter earned an award for "Best Specialist stunt" in the1986
- Much of the racing footage of the Mini Coopers through
Budapest used stock footage from the 1969 movie "The Italian Job."
- MacGyver states that he doesn't drink.
- This is the first episode we see MacGyver's brown
- Although spelt differently, it's speculated that we see the
same Major Nikolaj Kossov in the season 3 episode Lost Love (part 1 & 2) where Kossov
seeks revenge for MacGyver's escape in this episode.
- Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, somebody always
changes the odds. - MacGyver
- I see the beautiful people just stopped in to have a quick
cocktail before the ballet. - MacGyver
- "I'm with you pal, I hate heights." - MacGyver
- "Some people are scared of anybody who runs
free." - MacGyver
- The man who said life is just a bowl of cherries had it
wrong. It's a bowl of Hungarian goulash-- hot and sticky. And I'm not that hungry. - MacGyver
- My mom had a chili recipe that would just about blow your
socks off. A shake of this, a pinch of that, and just let it cook. I changed the
ingredients a little; Salt, sugar, weed killer. I wouldn't want to eat it, but the end
result should be, dynamite. - MacGyver
- Yanna asks why the police brought her family to the prison
and she asks MacGyver if it has something to do with the watch. When the camera is behind
MacGyver and Yanna, you can see MacGyver lower his binoculars down to just in front of his
chin. When the camera moves to MacGyver's right side, the binoculars that should be right
in front of him are nowhere in sight.
- Whan MacGyver encounters Yanna for the 2nd time & asks
her to return his swiss army knife and the watch she stole from him. After a bit of
haggling the tells him "OK MacGyver, I'll get you your watch" The problem here
is that at NO point during their 1st or 2nd encounter did MacGyver tell Yanna his name
- While trying to get across the border, MacGyver and Yanna's
family are driving through buildings and outdoor restaurants. In one scene a grey security
car pulls up to block the 3 cars and a guy in a white shirt and black pants can be seen
slowly moving out of the way. Then, when the camera switches to the other side of the
security car, the guy is gone even though he should be visible towards the center of the
- At the end of the car chase scene, when the bad guys come
out of the pipe and go into the river, the car passes by the camera from right to left. In
that moment, you can see that the two people inside the car are, in fact, crash test
- If you look at the number plates on the police cars, before
MacGyver messes with the
traffic lights, then you'll see that there Hungarian plates, but when they go to the
stolen scenes from the Italian Job, the number plates become Italian, then at the border
they're back to being Hungarian again!
- Light bulbs between 2 boards faked tire blow-out
- Used Salt, sugar & weed killer to make explosive.
- Undid steering wheel & snapped off key of tractor so it
couldn't be stopped or steered.
- Tied razor wire to back of tractor to stop guards
- Unknown powder thrown in air ignites with match to make a
- Made a magnifying glass using a hairpin & white wine
- Messed up traffic signal with slices of credit card
- Taped radio to police walkie talkie together to mess up
- Stuck above radio on bunch of helium balloons to get it
higher up for better transmission.