Production No.: 40191-021
Airdate: 30 April 1986
Writer: Stephen Kandel
Director: Cliff Bole
Nielsen Ratings: 13.3 rating / 22 share / 2nd (34th overall)
MacGyver and Thornton infiltrate a Soviet mental hospital to rescue a friend who’s being held as a political prisoner. But they find getting out isn’t as easy as getting in.
- The hut used as the Karsoff’s cabin is seen again in Silent World and Family Matter episodes.
- The boat chase scene uses footage from the 1981 movie ‘Race For the Yankee Zephyr’ which was filmed on the Shotover River in Queenstown New Zealand. The river is famous for it’s thrilling high speed jet boat rides.
- The character “Yuri Demetri’ appears again in season 2 played by the same actor but appears to be a different character as neither he nor MacGyver seem to know each other.
- A short clip of the boat chase scene is used in a flashback in season two’s ‘DOA MacGyver’ episode.
- Wrapping a patient in sheets soaked in ice cold water was a “treatment” used on violent patients in the primitive days of mental institutions. This will be why MacGyver said his body was going numb when he was wrapped in the sheet.
- This is the first appearance of MacGyver’s “Tornado Punch”
- What do you mean, what am I doing here? You take an emergency leave of absence, grab a Soviet ID, a map of Northern Russia, and you split. You didn’t even say goodbye to me. ~MacGyver
- Pete, we’re friends. If you got troubles, I’ve got troubles. ~MacGyver
- I’m not laughing ~Pete (chucking to himself)
Big of you ~MacGyver
- Change the timing? ~Pete
Remember Belgrade? ~MacGyver
Don’t change the timing. ~Pete
- Where in the hell have you been? ~Supervisor
Outside for a stroll. ~MacGyver
The moonlight. It’s very important to me. ~MacGyver
- Tis night. Wolves and owls can see. Men and flowers must wait for the sun. ~MacGyver
- During the boat chase, the camera helicopter’s landing skid comes briefly into view as the camera is following the bad guys’ boat. It’s visible in the bottom right corner and is very noticeable.