Trouble shooter

SAK owned: cadet,sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:the hiest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

right now my edc is the executive, very pocket friendly. I carry the tinker alone, but my newly purchased red cadet will get some pocket time soon

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mrtape
Posted: 12 March 2010 - 07:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Red handled

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The flashback Western.
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Loft

The lighter the better is good but when travelling I carry what I call a MacG bag.
Here are the contents.
Books
-Nat Geo Survival Manual-
-Nat Geo Digest Road Atlas-

Lint Free Cloth
Battery Tester
12 Ft. Tape Measure
Leather Gloves
Nat Geo 1st Aid Kit
Mini Binocs (Nat Geo)
Swedish Fire Starter Stick
Full Size Adjustable Flame Lighter
Maya Fire Dust
Lensatic Compass
Swiss Army Soldiers Knife
Schrade Multi Tool
Gorilla Duct Tape
Scotch Vinyl Electric Tape
100 Ft. 550 Type Commercial Nylon Paracord
Gorilla Glue
Razor Cutter
Mt Rushmore Ball Cap
Bag of Bungees
Carabiners, misc sizes and colors incl. key chains
Fortress lock and key
3/1 Oil Stick

I work at a job that has a possible need for small tools so I carry a Spartan but have the SAK Rescue Tool available. Weekends I carry a small bag that is a stripped down version of the above and always have the Champ Plus on the belt case. The Spartan would probably do the trick since I don't believe I have ever used more than 4 items on the Champ+.
I have not yet found myself in any MacGyver situations from any of the 139 episodes or 2 movies. But then, you never know.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
InVader
Posted: 18 March 2010 - 08:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: EvoGrip S557

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:
Jacket:  ---

Howdy folks. I used to carry a Wenger tradesman SAK everywhere I went. A friend knew how fond I was of my SAK that he bought me the Wenger Swiss Army Evo grip, so I've been carrying that one around. Other than my SAK, I usually have a handkerchief and ballpoint pen. Seems to be sufficient for me.

This post has been edited by InVader on 18 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGeezer
Posted: 5 April 2010 - 08:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Vic Spirit S

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

For me it's a Vic Cybertool 41 on a pocket clip. I keep a casual appearance and can't stand belt pouches.

I've found a bright, yet quite tiny torch that I carry:
http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/117-e...ipper-Lite.html

I like to carry a credit card size fresnel magnifier in my wallet, because aging stinks. http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3038456

And I like to keep a bit of folded duct tape in my wallet, found a neat source here:
http://www.bydezignproducts.com/pocketduct.html

Besides a very generic watch, cellphone and sunglasses that's it for gear....MacGyverism is a state of mind. biggrin.gif

clip.JPG

" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 April 2010 - 09:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (Invader)
Seems to be sufficient for me.

QUOTE ( MacGeezer)
MacGyverism is a state of mind.

I think you both have hit the nail on the head there. MacGyverism isn't about carrying a lot of stuff with you all the time, because quite simply, you can't be prepared for every conceivable event that you might ever encounter. So you should carry the stuff you regularly use and keep a state of mind where you can improvise if you need to.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 6 April 2010 - 12:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

MacGeezer, I'll nominate you for the Golden Paperclip Award.
'MacGyverism is a state of mind.'
I want a T-shirt with that quote.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 10 April 2010 - 12:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

Rocky, if you haven't added that Pocket Duct Tape to the store here, I think you should! That's wonderful!

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 6 May 2010 - 05:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

Hello Everyone! I just joined and am very happy to be here. I started carrying a Victorinox "Tinker" just like Mac used. I remember pausing a VHS recorded episode over and over again to make sure I got the same one used on the show. I have purchased additional "Tinker" versions over the years as well as other versions and rarely go anywhere without it.

I had such a "man crush" on MacGyver. At one time I owned a pair of NIKE hightops just like he wore on the show, along with several jackets (one of which was an extra jacket the production studio didn't buy that was custom made for MacGyver), boots, a pair of ski goggles and other items used on the show. I even bought a 1987 Jeep Wrangler because of MacGyver, granted mine was a five speed and his was an automatic, but still.

I was able to meet Richard Dean Anderson back stage at "The Tonight Show" when he was promoting "Pandora's Clock" (I had an internship at NBC Studios during college). He wasn't feeling very well but he was gracious enough to sign a roll of duct.gif on which he wrote, TO LANCE, RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON "MAC". It's currently in a plastic display case on a bookcase shelf with my STARGATE and Indiana Jones items.

I sure am glad I found this site and look forward to chatting with everyone here.

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Straw
Posted: 28 August 2010 - 03:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Too Hard to Pick!

Cool thread!

I usually carry a bunch of stuff in my pockets. I just added a fold of 6 feet or so of duct tape after reading this. biggrin.gif

Back Left: SAK (Climber), folded bandana
Back Right: Wallet
Front Left: Small metal LED flashlight on a lanyard I made out of 550 cord, cell phone
Front Right:Keys with a ball compass on the keychain, bic lighter, chap stick, and one of those waterproof match cases that has in it: a roll of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper for touching up knife blades, a bunch of matches and striker, a small mirror built into the lid, a cotton ball pushed in the bottom, and four paper clips. I also carry an Opinel No. 7 pocket knife in this pocket, they are simple, beautiful, and cheap (but require some sharpening when new), and the design dates back to 1890. I think Mac would give it the O.K. even though it's not a SAK. smile.gif

It sounds like a lot but it's pretty compact!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted: 28 January 2011 - 11:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

For those of you interested you should try something like a paracord bracelet.Google search paracord bracelet and you'll see what I mean. I've made a few different types. Have ago and post some images.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...ved=0CCUQ9QEwAQ

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 January 2011 - 06:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (Maca @ 29 January 2011 - 08:48 AM)
For those of you interested you should try something like a paracord bracelet.Google search paracord bracelet and you'll see what I mean. I've made a few different types. Have ago and post some images.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...ved=0CCUQ9QEwAQ

In the US they are called Survival Straps and have been made famous now by Bear Grylls on Man Vs. Wild.

You can get them in all sizes from wrist and ankle bracelets to belts, watch straps and even dog collars.

The official web site has a lifetime guarantee where if you find yourself in a survival situation and need to use the strap, you can write to them and tell them about it and they will replace the strap for free - I assume that's as long as you let them publish your story on their site.

I found a local guy who makes them himself so I got one from him for $10, although it was a tad to tight on my wrist with the clip so i replace the clip with a piece of leather string.

but you can find videos on youtube showing how to do them if anyone wantsto try them.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
An_Shashira
Posted: 25 February 2011 - 02:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 26 December 2008 - 10:28 PM)
Great article!

I've actually recently started carrying a couple of paper clips on the key ring of my SAK.

It seemed more practical to have them on there than loose in my pocket to get lost when I change pants or whatever.

Being light is the key, but also as you touched on, finding what works best for you. For example I find a small lighter is much better than matches. I've even added a lighter into the survival pack I carry with me when hiking, although there are still some matches in there as well (they make good fire starters)

sak.gif + duct.gif + clip.JPG + matchs.JPG = MacG.gif

sakopen.gif
I just keep in my pockets what I need according to the current situation.
Anyway there are my pocket, money and some paper clips.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 7 March 2011 - 09:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

SAK's are probably illegal over here. You aren't allowed to carry a knife but that might not apply to SAK's so I will have to check that out and then decide which one to buy.

I don't gear up like Mac. Not that I wouldn't want to, mind. I actually had no idea there were people who walk around with the same kind of gear on!

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lsalzman
Posted: 15 July 2011 - 10:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:To Be A Man
Jacket:  Black leather

I have to admit I have used a paper clip to fix a something on a jacket once. The metal clip broke and one of my kids asked what I was going to do to fix it at the time. I happened to have a paper clip in my pocket and slipped it in the hole on the missing zipper. My kids thought it was cool. I was glad I could fix it but now my kids think I can fix anything.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Keyan
Posted: 15 July 2011 - 06:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:Good Knight Macgyver

Hi, everyone. It's been awhile, hope everyone is well.

My mom bought this thing called a "utili-key." It has small kife/saw blade, philips and flat screw drivers, bottle opener, and a few other things I haven't figured out yet. It's made by a company called Swiss Tech and is about the shape and size of a normal house key. It closes at the top so you can attach it to your key ring.
user posted image

She also bought me a keychain flashlight that is only about an inch long (it's actually kinda cute smile.gif ).

My pocket knife has aslo changed since the last time I was here. It's still not a SAK but it works. It's a Schrade Old Timer 30T and is only about 3in long.

Duct Tape: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the world together.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 20 October 2011 - 07:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Second Loft

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 6 April 2010 - 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (Invader)
Seems to be sufficient for me.

QUOTE ( MacGeezer)
MacGyverism is a state of mind.

I think you both have hit the nail on the head there. MacGyverism isn't about carrying a lot of stuff with you all the time, because quite simply, you can't be prepared for every conceivable event that you might ever encounter. So you should carry the stuff you regularly use and keep a state of mind where you can improvise if you need to.

happy_dance.gif I agree with these sentiments...
"Minimalist" definitely seems the best way to go for a true MacGyver-like approach to your "everyday carry" gear ~ those who find they need a backpack not for specific purposes, but simply to get by (and probably as a bit of a "security blanket") from day to day somehow seem the "antithesis" of a MacGyver mindset...

My everyday carry would be my wallet and a key case. The key case also has a Coughlan '6-in-1' LED torch/"survival tool" (which also has a button compass, magnifying lens, whistle, thermometer and mirror..) clipped to it, along with a 'G.I. can opener' and a compact bottle opener..

For my "SAK" I have a choice of three genuine Victorinox knives; plus I also have a couple of Leathermen tools, and simple clip knives ~ what I choose would depend on what I'm doing, but a 'Huntsman' would probably be my first-choice for an everyday go-to SAK.

There are some good choices for a lightweight "twine" that some may not have considered - a 20 metre (that's 66 feet for those in the USA..) length of either "masons twine", military-grade "Hootchie cord", or even waxed dental floss, will be much lighter and more compact than para-cord..

One thing that I don't consider practical or safe, just personally, are the ubiquitous blue denim jeans that many will reach for first when considering clothes ~ they are usually too restrictive; their pockets tend to be too small, too tight, and insecure; and as for denim itself, it can often prove to be deadly in the great outdoors, especially if it gets wet and cold ~ I find cargo pants or military styled pants to be more practical, and synthetic materials are superior for both "action wear", and in colder and/or damp conditions...
sakopen.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 21 October 2011 - 12:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (Bushwalker @ 21 October 2011 - 04:06 AM)
One thing that I don't consider practical or safe, just personally, are the ubiquitous blue denim jeans that many will reach for first when considering clothes ~ they are usually too restrictive; their pockets tend to be too small, too tight, and insecure; and as for denim itself, it can often prove to be deadly in the great outdoors, especially if it gets wet and cold ~ I find cargo pants or military styled pants to be more practical, and synthetic materials are superior for both "action wear", and in colder and/or damp conditions...
sakopen.gif

Yep, that's a very good point.

I nearly always wear cargo pants (both long and short) these days simply because jeans don't have enough pockets. Or at least not enough pockets in the right places. If I have to pack my pockets to bulging I prefer to have the weight packet on my legs rather than front waist and back pockets.

Jeans do seem take many times longer to dry then most other kinds of pants too. Thicker heavier material I guess.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 21 October 2011 - 09:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 21 October 2011 - 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Bushwalker @ 21 October 2011 - 04:06 AM)
One thing that I don't consider practical or safe, just personally, are the ubiquitous blue denim jeans that many will reach for first when considering clothes ~ they are usually too restrictive; their pockets tend to be too small, too tight, and insecure; and as for denim itself, it can often prove to be deadly in the great outdoors, especially if it gets wet and cold  ~ I find cargo pants or military styled pants to be more practical, and synthetic materials are superior for both "action wear", and in colder and/or damp conditions...
sakopen.gif

Yep, that's a very good point.

I nearly always wear cargo pants (both long and short) these days simply because jeans don't have enough pockets. Or at least not enough pockets in the right places. If I have to pack my pockets to bulging I prefer to have the weight packet on my legs rather than front waist and back pockets.

Jeans do seem take many times longer to dry then most other kinds of pants too. Thicker heavier material I guess.

smile.gif Cotton fabric also tends to be a lot more absorbent than synthetics like nylon and polyester, and generally stays colder and damper a lot longer ~ which could prove to be fatal if conditions are cold and windy, as this will draw away from one's body temperature. Not good in a survival situation..

Cotton blended with polyester or nylon can be okay in warmer and drier conditions, but once the temperature drops and things get wetter, the rule becomes "no cotton"..
The downside with synthetics is their inflammability, and the fact that nylon can melt when flames are applied ~ though they can also be made "flame retardant" or even "non-flammable" (more expensive..) during manufacture, if need be..

When I'm "kitting" myself out either for the outdoors or to travel, I like to start with the "Ten Essentials" approach, as first proposed by 'The Mountaineers' club in Seattle a few decades ago... Their original list contained what items were considered essential for hiking trips in their locale and conditions. Since then, many people have adopted and expanded on the original list to suit different situations and approaches...

My list follows a category approach, rather than specific items ~ so I can add-and-subtract to suit where and what might be expected:
* Water: [and water treatment/purification if going out for more than a couple of hours..];

* “Environmental protection”: sunscreen, and insect repellent; hat, sunglasses; maybe suitable footwear - where needed;

* Navigation: Map and Compass, [and know how to use them];

* First Aid kit, [and, again - some practical training and know-how];

* "Fire starting": matches/’lighter; maybe a candle, and/or 'fire starters';

* "Illumination": torch, and/or headlamp;

* Knife, and/or multi-tool;

* Sufficient Food: plus a little extra..

* Extra/Protective Clothes - when, and where, needed – to suit the worst expected conditions…

* "Carrying": e.g.; daypack/’bumbag’/’courier’ bag.. [And maybe some sort of emergency shelter, for more severe conditions..].

As for the OP on "Gearing Up..", I believe the way I have written this list here has a touch of that minimalist MacGyver style about it:
The sort of items I would have included in my "MacGyver Kit/Everyday Carry" would be a good start towards this - and probably already goes half-way towards the ten essentials target;
The "ten essentials" the way I have organised them here, then also provides a "core" for starting to pack for outdoorsy travel and general travel;
And this in turn probably goes half-way again towards the "Bug out"/"Go bag" approach that a couple of people on here are using for their own kits..

sak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 21 October 2011 - 11:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

It's interesting that we almost always saw MacGyver wearing jeans when he was out in the wilderness. The only exception (I think) was the first season episodes where he always wore his cargo pants and the episode "The Road Not Taken" where he's wearing military camo gear.

PM                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 21 October 2011 - 11:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

I was often surprised by MacGyver wearing Blue Jeans in many of those episodes up until season 6, especially in some of the harsh environments and dodgy situations he found himself in ~ in reality, people could have problems carrying (and keeping..) the basics in jeans pockets, at least without cramping your style somewhat... happy.gif

Channel 7 and PrimeTV here in Oz have been showing the complete MacGyver series of a weekday afternoon this year, and over the last couple of weeks I have noticed him again wearing either cargo pants or military garb a lot more often ~ I think by now they must be at the beginning of season 7, or at least getting to the end of season 6..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 23 October 2011 - 05:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Bushwalker @ 22 October 2011 - 06:41 PM)
Channel 7 and PrimeTV here in Oz have been showing the complete MacGyver series of a weekday afternoon this year,
.......................................................................................

blush.gif Oops...

I checked that TV channel again ~ and for anyone here in Oz, it's Channel 10's "Eleven" digital channel that's showing MacGyver most afternoons, @ 14:00 hrs...

Also, checking on a couple of episodes I saw last week, and then in the episodes list on here ~ they were Episodes 2 and 3. So it seems that Channel Ten may have reached the end of the series, and have started showing the series from the beginning again !!!

That's okay ~ as they were already a couple of seasons into it when I started (again) watching these repeats this year.. tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 12 November 2011 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling

QUOTE (MacDriver @ 26 December 2008 - 09:29 PM)
I've tried to observe the sort of things MacGyver carried and how he carried them so I can be equally prepared, and I'll share it as food for thought. If you are ust a fan, this probably won't seem as interesting as if you are a Mac-wannabe who is fixing something with your SAK every day of the week.
It seems Mac was a minimalist- despite the image he has of being the guy who carries a hardware store in his pocket. The first step to thinking like Mac when loading up is keep it to a minimum. He never used the largest Swiss Army Knife (SAK) you can buy, or a fanny pack full of goodies. So, step one is to keep it light and basic.
A second principle was always having a SAK, duct tape, and a watch. The watch anyone needs, the duct tape is infinitely versatile, and likewise for SAKs. As he could plan ahead he would take more, so it's obvious he was adaptable. If you seem to need string a lot, or lock picks (let's hope not tongue.gif) or anything else, you could incorporate it into what you carry around. Just be real with yourself about whether you ever would need 1 sq. ft. of aluminum foil folded up in your wallet.
A third principle was each item had multiple uses. The watch became a magnifier, the knife became a lock pick, and the matches could become a timer. So if you add things, especially bulky things, to what you carry around, then make sure the items are worth their space in gold. He always wore a belt, too, and it came in handy more than once.

All that being said, I don't think it's un-MacGyver-like to carry a cell phone (calculator/phone/etc.) or a notepad, but it surprises me when people think they are MacGyver for weighing them down with a ton of worthless gear. I guess the big no-nos would be wearing stuff on your belt and having so much in your pockets you can't quickly get to any particular thing you might need.

I personally just go with a SAK, some flattened-out duct tape, a watch, cell phone, and an LED pinch light on my keychain. My wallet is a thin ID type that just has cards and cash in it. Other ideas I've had in the past included paper clips on the keychain, a rolled up 25 ft. + piece of string, jumper leads with alligator clips on both ends, matches, lock picks (or a compact lockpick tool), a hankerchief (from flame's end) and folded aluminum foil. I could see a USB drive being useful as well, it just all boils down to your daily needs. Oh, and only carry high quality products, Victorinox, 3M, Diamond, Photon, etc. The last thing you want is a knock-off SAK breaking off in a screwhead!

MacGyver also had extensive knowledge that backed up the use of everything he had. A basic understanding of metals, chemistry (not my strong point), automotive systems, basic electrical info, and skills like lockpicking all complemented his gear well. And, for me, being hands-on was always the best way to learn. With most things, you can usually acquire cheaply things to practice building skills on. Hammering, welding, and bending metal, lockpicking, practicing electrical wiring with low current DC, etc. all are easy to do and cost little more than your time. This knowledge contributes to having the right mental mindset and approach: "Odds are, I can use what I have and the things around me to improve this situation. Every physical thing can change state and might be useful." MacGyver never had to think about that- it was just his M.O. Think outside the box, look beyond the obvious purpose of an object and break it down to its properties.

So, if you call yourself more than a fan and seem to actually live out the life of Mac, being equipped mentally and physically both are crucial. Try to get the most out of the least amount of pocket junk. And if you really want to be extra prepared, you can expand to a bag of "sometimes items" and keep it in your car. Hopefully it will be close enough most of the time you won't ever be left out to dry. Mac obviously had a crew standing by with what he needed for the next scene- wouldn't that be nice?

So remember, keep it light, try to carry items with multiple uses, and adapt to what you do and don't need.

Any input from other everyday Macs would be valuable too- I'd love to hear what others are doing! I also would love to read those books in our bookstore!

I carry climber in my pocket sometimes. When I ride a bike sak.gif

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 13 November 2011 - 04:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Makedde @ 8 March 2011 - 04:10 PM)
SAK's are probably illegal over here. You aren't allowed to carry a knife but that might not apply to SAK's so I will have to check that out and then decide which one to buy.

I don't gear up like Mac. Not that I wouldn't want to, mind. I actually had no idea there were people who walk around with the same kind of gear on!

biggrin.gif

SAKs and other non-"flick", non-propelled, non-assisted pocket knives are still perfectly legal here in Oz...

Many fancy knives that are obviously meant only for fighting - like star knives, butterfly knives and some of those nasty looking Asian fighting knives and short swords are also on the Customs banned list down here..

The "concealed weapons" laws here in NSW are actually similar to those in several US jurisdictions ~ where it states that it is illegal to carry a weapon concealed upon your person ~ UNLESS you have some legitimate and lawful reason for carrying a knife/tool/multi-tool on your person.

The law then sets out several possible reasons that can legitimise your knife(s) ~ including such areas as occupation/work-related (e.g. tradesman, wharfie, labourer, storeman, farm worker, security guards.), emergency and military personnel (both full-time and part-time/volunteers), certain sports and hobbies (e.g. these would include things like: hiking/bushwalking, bicycling, horse riding, sailing and boating, gardening, craftwork..) ~ so when you think about, there may well be three, four, five or even six "legitimate" good reasons why the great majority of people here are still quite within their rights to have that SAK in their pockets, and in most of the other precincts that the great majority of MacGyver fans here probably live in..

Irrespective of length of the blade(s), as well...

tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 13 November 2011 - 04:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacDriver @ 26 December 2008 - 08:29 PM)
.................................................................................

So remember, keep it light, try to carry items with multiple uses, and adapt to what you do and don't need.

Any input from other everyday Macs would be valuable too- I'd love to hear what others are doing! I also would love to read those books in our bookstore!

smile.gif I checked out the reviews on Amazon of the various "MacGyver related" books that are available, and basically, the general consensus seems to be that none of those are worth even looking at, let alone spending money on - so far...

IT also appears that a couple of those aren't even very "MacGyver-ish" at all, but are simply ripping off his good name.. boxing.gif

I reckon most fellow fans on here would be quite disappointed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mac8
Posted: 13 November 2011 - 05:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver

i usually just carry my super tinker and occasionally put a few paperclips on the keyring. macsak.gif

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 16 December 2011 - 01:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Jack Straw @ 29 August 2010 - 10:46 AM)
Cool thread!

I usually carry a bunch of stuff in my pockets. I just added a fold of 6 feet or so of duct tape after reading this. biggrin.gif

Front Left: Small metal LED flashlight on a lanyard I made out of 550 cord, cell phone
Front Right:Keys with a ball compass on the keychain, bic lighter, chap stick, and one of those waterproof match cases that has in it: a roll of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper for touching up knife blades, a bunch of matches and striker, a small mirror built into the lid, a cotton ball pushed in the bottom, and four paper clips. I also carry an Opinel No. 7 pocket knife in this pocket, they are simple, beautiful, and cheap (but require some sharpening when new), and the design dates back to 1890. I think Mac would give it the O.K. even though it's not a SAK. smile.gif

tongue.gif

Pickpockets just love to see wallets stashed in back pockets !!!
And they fall out much easier, too...

Shift it around somewhere in front, if you want to keep it..

ALSO, stashing "hard" items like wallets and knives in back pockets can be a contributing factor in developing sciatica, as well..

The only items I have in my back pockets are "soft" things ~
like a rag, hanky, tissues.

hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 23 January 2012 - 10:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:The escape
House:  Apartment

trust me. If they ban scissors and such at schools, a SAK on the street is, eh, what? like a gun?? Plus, it's very easy for a cop here to make a lot of fuss over it...sigh sad.gif

I've found out that I can do without my SAK. A geologyst hammer, while not the most suttle way to go around, will do a lot of things out in the country. At college, ballpen, paper clips, paper napkins and my trusty tinny bag of screwdrivers, I can be a hero anyday!!! (especially if you figure out what gives with the classroom projector in under 3 minutes flat!!!!)

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 23 January 2012 - 03:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I just thought of a new MacGyverism... MacGyver without a SAK!

PM                                                                     
Jack Straw
Posted: 28 January 2012 - 08:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:Too Hard to Pick!

QUOTE (Bushwalker @ 16 December 2011 - 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Straw @ 29 August 2010 - 10:46 AM)
Cool thread!

I usually carry a bunch of stuff in my pockets.  I just added a fold of 6 feet or so of duct tape after reading this. biggrin.gif

Front Right:Keys with a ball compass on the keychain, bic lighter, chap stick, and one of those waterproof match cases that has in it: a roll of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper for touching up knife blades, a bunch of matches and striker, a small mirror built into the lid, a cotton ball pushed in the bottom, and four paper clips.  I also carry an Opinel No. 7 pocket knife in this pocket, they are simple, beautiful, and cheap (but require some sharpening when new), and the design dates back to 1890.  I think Mac would give it the O.K. even though it's not a SAK.  smile.gif

tongue.gif

Pickpockets just love to see wallets stashed in back pockets !!!
And they fall out much easier, too...

Shift it around somewhere in front, if you want to keep it..

ALSO, stashing "hard" items like wallets and knives in back pockets can be a contributing factor in developing sciatica, as well..

The only items I have in my back pockets are "soft" things ~
like a rag, hanky, tissues.

hmm.bmp

Youre overthinking. My grandfather is 92 and still drives from new jersey to florida every year, and he carries the same sort of things in his back pockets too. No back issues, and he hasnt lost a SAK since the Chinese confiscated his last one in the 80s.smile.gif

Never seen a wallet fall out of a back pocket, plenty of things have fallen out of my side pockets...but mac never carried a wallet lol. Mac wasnt about carrying the "essentials" anyway he found them on the way. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 28 January 2012 - 10:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling

Swedish fire starter stick...what?

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll